An exception to the resort mug "rule"?

Dads 2 Boys

Original Poster
I'm on the side of the fence that you should not bring mugs from 2002 (or whatever year you have) and use them at the fountain station. Just my humble opinion and you can do whatever you want.

But.......if you go multiple times in the same year and the mugs are still the same, can they be re-used in the same year? I think this would be the exception that would be acceptable.

Thoughts???

dopeylover

I would say that sounds fair, but isn't it just part of the package now? So if you're booking multiple trips a year, wouldn't you get a mug no matter what? I could be wrong, but I thought they were included now.

I really really wish that you could use the mugs inside the parks. I know fountain drinks really do NOT cost that much per person, and if you're already spending a TON of money on food and souvenirs, I don't think it would matter that much.

Spikerdink

Well, if it ecology that you are concerned about, I am thinking that the RFID sensor in the mugs could be recalibrated to allow you the second, third, fourth visit....

If it is to avoid paying for the mug in total (not part of the dining plan), Disney must have done a study to determine how much they were losing by people reusing the old mugs. (I will admit to using a Dixie Landings mug not too long ago...so I was easy to spot.) I know a family that used the same mugs for years, and a friend of mine brought hers back for at least 4 years. So, while it may not cost a lot per soft drink/water for each person, if you multiply that number by the amount of guests who did this and the number of times they visited, you start to see some pretty serious coinage going out the door.

A few visits back I realized buying the mug was a waste of money - I was hardly at the resort and even if I filled it twice a day I was drinking less than a 2 liter bottle for the week, so that was one thing I quickly stopped purchasing.

DaddyDisneyMan

Well, if it ecology that you are concerned about, I am thinking that the RFID sensor in the mugs could be recalibrated to allow you the second, third, fourth visit....

If it is to avoid paying for the mug in total (not part of the dining plan), Disney must have done a study to determine how much they were losing by people reusing the old mugs. (I will admit to using a Dixie Landings mug not too long ago...so I was easy to spot.) I know a family that used the same mugs for years, and a friend of mine brought hers back for at least 4 years. So, while it may not cost a lot per soft drink/water for each person, if you multiply that number by the amount of guests who did this and the number of times they visited, you start to see some pretty serious coinage going out the door.

A few visits back I realized buying the mug was a waste of money - I was hardly at the resort and even if I filled it twice a day I was drinking less than a 2 liter bottle for the week, so that was one thing I quickly stopped purchasing.
THEY HAVE SENSORS IN THE MUGS?!?!

Dads 2 Boys

Original Poster

Concerned with neither actually......just more of a thought. I agree they probably lose $$ with the people who re-use old mugs.

Having kids, it's a nice thing to have and they like to use it when we get home. Also, with the kids we eat at the resort a couple of times so it's worth it for us. Although I just went without the kids and it was fairly useless.

Jimmy Thick

Iam hearing rumors of Disney doing away with the whole mug situation all together. TDO is apparently Imagineering a way to charge you a dollar and you will have to cup your hands for your liquid refreshment and drink from your very own hands. They will then charge you another dollar for a moist towelette to quickly clean your hands.

Jimmy Thick- Um, yeah.

Dads 2 Boys

Original Poster
Oh goody, a mug thread. You have touched the 3rd rail of wdw blogging. While i agree with the op, if i were them i would request the thread be shutdown. The countdown to the self righteous flame war commences in 5, 4, 3...

Just so I know...what are the first 2? LOL

Dads 2 Boys

Original Poster
Iam hearing rumors of Disney doing away with the whole mug situation all together. TDO is apparently Imagineering a way to charge you a dollar and you will have to cup your hands for your liquid refreshment and drink from your very own hands. They will then charge you another dollar for a moist towelette to quickly clean your hands.

Jimmy Thick- Um, yeah.

What if u only have one hand? Will they charge only 50 cents?

Cmdr_Crimson

Here's the Real kicker that get's me...Your paying nearly $15 for this mug to be used at your resort throughout your stay and yet the parks sell Mugs that look almost exactly the same but themed to each park (instead of the swimming one for the resort) for $5 with the Drink........

Jackie-chan-meme.png

IMO If they decide to go all RFID with Mugs in the near future they can probably change it to where if you try another mug from other parks or past trips it wouldn't activate the fountain machine at all and you'd be forced to use the time activated mugs..

tracyandalex

I maintain that if Disney wants me to buy a new mug every trip they need to have a new mug for me to buy! how many years has the current mug been around? For the last 3 years we have been going at least 3 times per year. That's a lot of the same mugs for us to buy!! I'd say it's not worth it for me to buy the mug every time because as someone else stated we don't spend that much time at the resort during most trips. When they actually made the resort mugs we were excited to buy a new resort mug, now that it's been the same design for at least 2 years we have no interest in them anymore. Also, as @Cmdr_Crimson stated the $5 mugs in the parks are cooler.

G00fyDad

The new mugs have a sensor that will be activated for your length of stay - once your time is up, the dispenser will no longer dispense and small nuclear reaction will be activated which will result in the mug melting into a pile of useless colorful goo.

Not yet they don't. They tested this a while back at All Stars Sports resort, but I do not know if they approved full implementation yet. I do know that it has not been done, yet. Although, I do have to admit (and hate me if you want) that I will laugh a little in the future when I will see people trying to use old mugs, coke bottles, and even milk jugs with a confused look on their faces when it doesn't dispense anything because of an RFID. I really hope this becomes a reality. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom