An absolutely fantastic read that should be mandatory for all of us

Figments Friend

The article hit a valid point regarding the fact that Disney 'sells nostalgia' when it comes to visiting their Theme Parks, and destroying the positive things from the past for shallow reasons hurts everyone in the long term.

There are so many past Attractions , entertainment, and other offerings that were questionably removed or drastically 'improved' that it chips away at the legacy of what was and could be for today's Guests.

-

FullSailDan

Says the guy from Full Sail, a “creative” school that takes alumni no where. Seriously, Full Sail is a scam.

Not really relevant to the discussion here but thank you for that assessment. I could have updated after getting my MS from GMU or PHD from VT, but it's a handle I've used since attending there in 04 and haven't seen a need to really change it. Perhaps Patriot or Hokie Dan attached to my name would have changed the way you read the text?

bryanfze55

I suppose I should clarify, the quality service and overall experience was what I remembered going to the parks as a kid. NOT necessarily the physical park itself. Though yes the park has retained much of its original aesthetics, it's the culmination of many things that reminds me of the fun I used to have in the parks as a kid. Something about Disneyland feels so much more relaxed, not-stressful, and easy than a day in MK feels. The cast members were nice, food quality was exceptional even at quick service restaurants, rides were in excellent condition, things looked fresh and clean, attractions weren't gutted and sitting empty, etc.

Umm, did you step foot in Tomorrowland at Disneyland?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not really relevant to the discussion here but thank you for that assessment. I could have updated after getting my MS from GMU or PHD from VT, but it's a handle I've used since attending there in 04 and haven't seen a need to really change it. Perhaps Patriot or Hokie Dan attached to my name would have changed the way you read the text?
This may be the first time “professional qualifications” have been required on anonymous fan site where 30% of content is crazy immature and another 30%+ is wishful thinking disguised as “insider” info

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hey can we keep the "Star Wars Land is a DISASTER and EVERYONE HATES IT!" tired rhetoric from the noted handful of posters out of this thread please? TIA
Yes...too bad the author highlights it specifically several times.

This is the last I’ll breathe word of the Voldemort franchise here...but it’s very ironic how each movie and the lands had several YEARS of victory laps repeated over and over again before they ever opened...and now nobody wants to talk?

So is that what an “echo chamber” is? When the results don’t work out perfectly for Disney and that’s where you have to go to point it out? Hmmm...must have missed that one on my vocab test.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We're certainly seeing unprecedented crowd levels these days. A moderately busy day in the late 00's to early 10's is now a "light" day. There are basically no slow days anymore where everything is walk-on. This is further hindered by the fact that Disney has tirelessly ensured that slow seasons don't really exist anymore, as crowd levels are spread more evenly throughout the year. Your best bet for low crowds these days would be September after Labor Day and Late January through mid February, and even then, it's a few days here and there at best.

At this point I think another recession is the only thing that will stop it, as clearly raising prices and charging for more things has not been enough.
Well...the aggregate attendance has risen by about 25% since 2000 and they haven’t added any real attraction capacity to handle it...we’re still currently tettering a little above about net zero...

But I think the biggest change is displacing the “mobbed” times out over the calendar. Summers, holidays and breaks are now crowded, just not wall to wall packed...slow times are now busy with shorter hours and less staff to accommodate.

Such is life...they were always gonna squeeze maximum return out of every employee minute and lightbulb if they could. They have

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Did we read the same article? Because the author praises Galaxy's Edge and mentions that is perhaps better than WWoHP. The only negative thing they say about it is that it doesn't belong in Disneyland Park, which I do agree with.
Right...that’s an opinion...and since it opened only a few months ago, that is highly debatable.

This doesn’t need to go down the rabbit hole of Star Wars DISNEY CREATED...but to say that’s not a part of an overall discussion seems a tad Orwellian

Tom Morrow

Right...that’s an opinion...and since it opened only a few months ago, that is highly debatable.

This doesn’t need to go down the rabbit hole of Star Wars DISNEY CREATED...but to say that’s not a part of an overall discussion seems a tad Orwellian
No, because its not a disaster, as much a handful of you want so desperately for it to be one, for whatever reason. Make no mistake, it's not without it's criticisms, but it is not a "disaster". I thought that the 10,000 people showing up at 6 AM every day, with no signs of slowing down, would be enough to silence you guys, but I guess not.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, because its not a disaster, as much a handful of you want so desperately for it to be one, for whatever reason. Make no mistake, it's not without it's criticisms, but it is not a "disaster". I thought that the 10,000 people showing up at 6 AM every day, with no signs of slowing down, would be enough to silence you guys, but I guess not.
You need to talk to Those shouting “disaster” then...

I think they still have major issues...publicly played out and very longterm with the franchise. Parks sometimes are independent of the IP...don’t think this will be one of them because they have managed the IP very badly. It’s kinda “been in the news”

But the lands aren’t “disasters” in this point in time. There is a fairly decent chance they could drop in appeal based on the creative choices as it plays out moving forward. They have hitched their horse to the wrong franchise wagon and that’s not imagined.

Tom Morrow

I think they still have major issues...publicly played out and very longterm with the franchise. Parks sometimes are independent of the IP...don’t think this will be one of them because they have managed the IP very badly. It’s kinda “been in the news”

But the lands aren’t “disasters” in this point in time. There is a fairly decent chance they could drop in appeal based on the creative choices as it plays out moving forward. They have hitched their horse to the wrong franchise wagon and that’s not imagined.
Oh ok... I misread your original post, sorry. You were saying that the Disney Star Wars film franchise is a disaster, not Galaxy's Edge. Uh... carry on.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh ok... I misread your original post, sorry. You were saying that the Disney Star Wars film franchise is a disaster, not Galaxy's Edge. Uh... carry on.
“Disaster”...is harsh. But we are very early in the post script as it stands...

A few episodes of the mandolorian isn’t going to run cover for long.

WDWTank

If it was based on The Original Trilogy it wouldn’t be an issue. But, they knew the Sequel Trilogy would suck, so of course they decided to shove it into Star Wars Land to prevent irrelevancy and bad press for the sequel movies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If it was based on The Original Trilogy it wouldn’t be an issue. But, they knew the Sequel Trilogy would suck, so of course they decided to shove it into Star Wars Land to prevent irrelevancy and bad press for the sequel movies.
No argument. People that don’t “go with what works” kinda deserved their fate. The lands are ambiguous to the point of confusion and obviously built on two movies: one that flopped and one that doesn’t look nearly as impressive now as they gave it credi for at the time.
Is this gone now ???????????????????????
They did it before the DVC conversion...though they’d claim it wasn’t for DVC conversion.

It was...that’s their game: redo lobbies and restaurants a year or two before timeshareapalooza

NickMaio

No argument. People that don’t “go with what works” kinda deserved their fate. The lands are ambiguous to the point of confusion and obviously built on two movies: one that flopped and one that doesn’t look nearly as impressive now as they gave it credi for at the time.

They did it before the DVC conversion...though they’d claim it wasn’t for DVC conversion.

It was...that’s their game: redo lobbies and restaurants a year or two before timeshareapalooza
Complete bummer!!!

Gussie Granger

There are just some people who take life too seriously or to find something wrong with anything. Was I upset that they changed Soarin’? Sure, but for about 5 minutes. You can’t stop change. It’s inevitable. It’s necessary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom