An absolutely fantastic read that should be mandatory for all of us

The_Jobu

sunk cost fallacy

There ya go.

Also to be clear, I didn't mean that this applies to everyone who pays mega bucks for Disney, but I'm sure it plays a part for some of the uber-pixies. It's not just a Disney thing either, my friend is like that with his cars.

FutureCEO

Disney is a business. Disney would not be around today without change. Is most of the change for the better. Probably not...ie characters coming to Epcot in mass and yes, I remember the character buses from the 90s that used to roam Epcot.

My favorite hotel is the Beach Club. Without my parents timeshare I wouldn't go. Because spending $500 a night is outrageous to me. Disney's moderate hotels would be considered high end in most places.

captainbuzzy

There's probably a psychological term for it already, but I notice a lot of people who spend so much on something they tell themselves it's great, even if it's clearly not. Like a self-defense mechanism.

Yes it's called the Tesla Effect.Seems anyone that buys a Tesla suffers from the same thing.

Parker in NYC

Wait so you are saying those who chose to stay at a deluxe couldn't possibly be doing it because they like it and have the means to pay for it, that there must be some type of mental disability or disconnect??

That they are fooling themselves into believing they like it to justify what disney is charging?

that's what you're claiming?? is that just for Disney or does it carry over to other luxury items? If someone buys a 5K LV bag are they also suffering from some cognitive dissonance? are they too "lying" to themselves about the quality.

I choose to stay at deluxes when I can but I can also attest that I do have a disconnect from reality in doing so. I would never pay prices like these anywhere else. But I'm a member of a cult, a Disney cult. And there's no hope for me.

Disneyson

Really wonderful post, but also bitterly sad. It's amazing how so much of the soul has been ripped out in ten years, and how nearly none of the MM+ tech ended up being used. Very even-handed article. I find it difficult to argue with any of it.

phillip9698

Disney is a business. Disney would not be around today without change. Is most of the change for the better. Probably not...ie characters coming to Epcot in mass and yes, I remember the character buses from the 90s that used to roam Epcot.

My favorite hotel is the Beach Club. Without my parents timeshare I wouldn't go. Because spending $500 a night is outrageous to me. Disney's moderate hotels would be considered high end in most places.

By most places are you comparing US city standards or motel 6 lodging? You can get a nicer room for your money in any medium size city in this country.

erasure fan1

Nostalgia sells to a small group. Sure I miss things from my childhood and early adulthood trips to WDW but I appreciate that things have to change. I just got back from a trip and was really excited about some of the changes especially GE and RTOR. Reading the article just made me feel overwhelmingly sad so I choose not to take her perspective.
What I will say overall my concern is things are losing their identity by plunking down IP that does not fit... Avengers in Epcot being the glaring example.
I'm as big a nostalgia guy as anyone. But in no way does that mean I don't want new things and experiences. The issues I have, like you, are rampant disregards for the overall theme. It also gets frustrating when things like great movie ride close for Mickey. Not because Mickey doesn't deserve a ride, or GMR had to stay. You have a park that needs attractions, and you closed a great opportunity to showcase some fox IPs while relieving some preasure.

Walt Disney1955

Disney panics too much. They are still #1. There is no one who is even close when it comes to park numbers. Look, I love Universal a lot. I mention it to everyone on here who has been to Central Florida a dozen times but strangely enough has not ventured to Universal as if they are incapable of leaving the WDW property or find it as some sort of backstabbing or cheating to Disney. Never squander a chance to visit Universal, both parks, that is.

That being said, what Disney has and always hopefully will have over them is nostalgia. There are still several things open today that were there on opening day, even more at Disneyland from even further back. You can ride on the same things your grandparents did. You can't do that at Universal. They change things a little TOO much for my liking. I love their additions and such but when you make a decision to get rid of Jaws, which is arguably the best movie you have ever produced, then nothing is untouchable. I think Islands of Adventure is an excellent park, perhaps the best in the world outside of Magic Kingdom or Disneyland (maybe Epcot too). Spiderman, Jurassic Park, King Kong, Potter, Dr. Seuss' land, etc. Lots of fun stuff. But it is also possible that in 20 years some of this is gutted out and replaced with the flavour of the month. This is where Universal gets it wrong. And sometimes, this is where Disney gets it wrong too, but they do keep their core better than Universal.

For example, the movie Frozen was wildly popular. It will be up there historically with all of the other Princess movies of Disney. You had to build a ride over it, and they did an excellent job of it. But they still could have kept Maelstrom in there and had both. I get it, they have to make hard decisions but there is definitely no lack of space to do this at WDW.

Either way, you can't beat the Disney experience. It hasn't been done yet and this is why families gravitate back to it all of the time. You know what is there but you still want to re-experience it. It is the music we are familiar with, the songs, the fireworks, and the overall atmosphere that can't be beat. Peter Pan has a normally 45 minute wait..........on a good day. If that doesn't tell you about what people still want then nothing will.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom