American Idol!

nicholas

I also think it's interesting to note that Carrie, the "country" girl's, best performances haven't been from the country genre. She seems to excel at 80's rock. Just find that interesting.

SpongeScott

GenerationX said:
Excellent analysis, nicholas.

I believe SpongeScott predicted a Carrie victory after her tryout. I think he may be right.
Yes, I did. I've been laying low on it though. :)

Nicholas did nail it.

Laura

Premium Member
nicholas said:
I also think it's interesting to note that Carrie, the "country" girl's, best performances haven't been from the country genre. She seems to excel at 80's rock. Just find that interesting.

I was just coming here to post the same thing! I just finished watching like 2 seconds ago (I recorded it) and I immediately IMed my mom and said that Carrie needs to sing Pat Benetar type music, not that country crap. My mom said that my dad had just said the exact same thing. I think she is an awesome rocker chick, but below par singing country music.

With that said, that was the BEST American Idol show ever! I was glued to the screen the whole hour. All 9 songs were amazing. I think Bo was the best, Carrie was right behind him, and Vonzell just *barely* fell behind Carrie.

I will be "ok" seeing Carrie or Vonzell leave tomorrow, but if Bo leaves that would just be WRONG.

All 3 will get record deals. They are all amazing singers. All 3 are MUCH better singers than Paula Abdul LOL.

GenerationX

The surprise of the evening? Paula made a couple of fairly lucid comments. Although they were negated by the ridiculous outfit and jangly jewelry she was wearing.

WDWScottieBoy

The_CEO said:
Vonzell or Bo are going home tomorrow night.

Couldn't agree more. I really think Vonzell needs to go. I wanted her to go over Anthony last week.

I'm still giving Carrie the title of winner. I WILL NOT be buying Bo's record because I don't care for his style. Carrie has an amazing voice and I know I'll be getting her record as soon as it's out, along with Anthony and Constantine's.

WDWScottieBoy

STR8FAN2005 said:
I will be buying Carrie Underwood's CD and I will be seeing her in concert. She is my American Idol!

Couldn't agree more. I'm going to be at her concert (well the AI tour this year if I'm not in the process of moving to FL) and I WILL have her CD the day it comes out!

CaptainMichael

WDWScottieBoy said:
Couldn't agree more. I'm going to be at her concert (well the AI tour this year if I'm not in the process of moving to FL) and I WILL have her CD the day it comes out!

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait till she does her own tour. The AI tour isn't coming anywhere near New Orleans. :mad:

SpongeScott

Serious question: why can't Bo sing without carrying his mic stand? I know that everyone can have a gimmick in their stage presence, but this one is getting a little old. What's the deal? He's an okay singer, but that annoys the crap out of me.

Aurora_25

SpongeScott said:
Serious question: why can't Bo sing without carrying his mic stand? I know that everyone can have a gimmick in their stage presence, but this one is getting a little old. What's the deal? He's an okay singer, but that annoys the crap out of me.

Well, I know that some rock band lead singers carry around thier mic stands once in a while- so maybe he is trying to be like them (although I agree, carrying it everywhere is getting a bit annoying)

I think that Bo did the best out of all of them
Just totally BORED with Carrie- I feel like she has no personality on stage or anything. I also can't stand the "twang" when she sings (and I listen to country music) It just doesn't seem "real"
Vonsell did really good- she keeps getting better with each performance in my opinion.

BRER STITCH

Well....I think its over for me. :(

I really can't find anything to like about this show or these three contestants anymore.

While watching last night, I found it really, truly un-enjoyable.

Oh sure....I could just stop watching, but I USED to really like the show!
It's wierd, but I really don't care who wins anymore, and that's kind of the point of the show.

Every note out of Vonzell's mouth sounded out of tune. She bounces around so much it affects her vocals, and the beginning of EVERY song is flat!

Bo. I just don't get it. He works well within his limitations, but his limitations are so many that every song sounds the same. One way to not stray off key is to avoid accompaniment of any kind - and that's exactly what he did! Smart? Yes. Entertaining? No. I thought it was the longest 2 minutes of the show. Well...at least Clive Davis liked it. That's really what counts.

Carrie is just plain boring, and I was in as much pain as she was at the end of every song. (NOTE TO CARRIE: Kicking the microphone stand around is almost as bad as carrying it every where you go.) How can someone who seems to be so nice STILL have no stage presence after all these weeks of coaching???

If the Producers would loosen their grip on the contestants necks, I bet they would attract a lot of more talented people who would raise the bar much higher. It would be better for ratings, and better for the talent.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF THEM!

:wave:

Aurora_25

BRER STITCH said:
Bo. I just don't get it. He works well within his limitations, but his limitations are so many that every song sounds the same. One way to not stray off key is to avoid accompaniment of any kind - and that's exactly what he did! Smart? Yes. Entertaining? No. I thought it was the longest 2 minutes of the show. Well...at least Clive Davis liked it. That's really what counts.

Ok, I don't mean to sound nasty or anything- but are you saying that it is easier to sing without accompaniment? If so, man, I don't know what my music teacher was telling me all those years! I mean, I took voice lessons for years and the HARDEST things to sing where when I had no accompaniment at all because you can easily start off flat and keep being flat- with accompaniment, it's easier to "know" where you are supposed to be range wise and everything. Sorry, it just bothers me when people think it is so "easy" to sing without anything backing you up because it is totally not true.

Again, don't mean to be nasty, but I had to say something....:)

wannab@dis

DDuckFan130 said:
Carrie: :snore:...May I just say that she did not do Shania's song justice. I love that song...I hate the way she sang it.

This is the problem I have with American Idol.

You hated the way SHE sang the song and say the original is better. But the original is way over produced. The voice that you hear on the radio or CD has been run through so much electronics that you're not really hearing the true voice. Even Shania's live performances use the same type of electronics to get a voice match to the studio version. Carrie's performance last night was great and spot on for that song.

This same problem killed Constatine. The Nickleback song he sang has a hugely produced vocal and a totally different sound for the lead guitar. Because his version was different vocally and the band had a different sound from the original, people thought it was bad. It wasn't by no means. In fact, I thought it was better and more real. As soon as he got into the first verse, I told my wife that he (or the arrangers) had screwed up. I then played the original and she instantly figured out why she thought he done a bad job. He didn't, but the sound was so different, it gave him a bad slant.

Don't listen to the song as a comparison to the original, listen to it as an original. This is why I think all American Idol competition in the top 12 should be original music.

My votes went to Bo and Carrie.

nicholas

Aurora_25 said:
Ok, I don't mean to sound nasty or anything- but are you saying that it is easier to sing without accompaniment? If so, man, I don't know what my music teacher was telling me all those years! I mean, I took voice lessons for years and the HARDEST things to sing where when I had no accompaniment at all because you can easily start off flat and keep being flat- with accompaniment, it's easier to "know" where you are supposed to be range wise and everything. Sorry, it just bothers me when people think it is so "easy" to sing without anything backing you up because it is totally not true.

I think what was meant by the original post was that without the accompanyment, it's harder for the general public to tell if/when he goes off key. I agree that it's much harder to stay on key without the music, but I think the original poster meant that the audience can't tell as well if there's no music.

At least that's what I got out of it.

Aurora_25

nicholas said:
I think what was meant by the original post was that without the accompanyment, it's harder for the general public to tell if/when he goes off key. I agree that it's much harder to stay on key without the music, but I think the original poster meant that the audience can't tell as well if there's no music.

At least that's what I got out of it.
Ah, ok- got it :) Thanks for clarifying that for me :)
I guess I am just one of those crazy people that "knows" when someone goes off key (my DH laughs because I always have a "spaz" attack when it happens) I tend to twitch or something when I hear someone go off key- really hurts my ears. :D

nicholas

Aurora_25 said:
Ah, ok- got it :) Thanks for clarifying that for me :)
I guess I am just one of those crazy people that "knows" when someone goes off key (my DH laughs because I always have a "spaz" attack when it happens) I tend to twitch or something when I hear someone go off key- really hurts my ears. :D
Hahah! I do the twitch too!! :lol:

Aurora_25

nicholas said:
Hahah! I do the twitch too!! :lol:
Glad I am not alone in that :) My dad used to love it because he was a choir director and he would watch me flinch when people were out of key :lol: Totally helped him out I guess :D

BRER STITCH

Aurora_25 said:

Hey AURORA! :wave:

Be as nasty as ya wanna be! :lol:

NICHOLAS got it right. Thanx Pal!

I am a musician and often do accapella music. I love it! Whether performed solo or in a choral group, it can be extremely challenging. But in general, the only way to to truly tell if we strayed off key is to finish the song and then play the ACTUAL final chord to see how we did.

EXAMPLE: I recently made a recording of Wedding songs on which I did an accapella version of "One Hand, One Heart" (from West Side Story) with a very talented local singer. The recording sounded great, but I could NEVER play the piano along with it now. It would be too embarrassing. But without accompaniment, the listener cannot detect the slide.

P.S. I don't do "the Twitch"....I grind my teeth and squeeze the arm of the person next to me!! HAHA! :lol:

Aurora_25

BRER STITCH said:
Hey AURORA! :wave:

Be as nasty as ya wanna be! :lol:

NICHOLAS got it right. Thanx Pal!

I am a musician and often do accapella music. I love it! Whether performed solo or in a choral group, it can be extremely challenging. But in general, the only way to to truly tell if we strayed off key is to finish the song and then play the ACTUAL final chord to see how we did.

EXAMPLE: I recently made a recording of Wedding songs on which I did an accapella version of "One Hand, One Heart" (from West Side Story) with a very talented local singer. The recording sounded great, but I could NEVER play the piano along with it now. It would be too embarrassing. But without accompaniment, the listener cannot detect the slide.

P.S. I don't do "the Twitch"....I grind my teeth and squeeze the arm of the person next to me!! HAHA! :lol:

I can understand what you are saying- I guess I just have those ears that can tell when a person is out of key even when they are singing without accompaniment. :)
Hmm, grind the teeth and squeeze the arm of the person next to me- if I did that, I would have no teeth left and my husband's arm would be TINY :) Ha, ha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom