News American Adventure Refurb, New Projectors and Ending Video

RobotWolf

One of the things that give America its distinct character is that we will never EVER agree on what should be included in a show like this. The Imagineers found this out in the late '70s. It's an impossible task.

The show can't last an egregious amount of time. So it has to be distilled to the important bits. But what's important in American history is different for everyone, American or otherwise.

And, to be fair, since it's EPCOT, the opinions of non-Americans should be considered as well; making it all the more difficult.

Otterhead

And, to be fair, since it's EPCOT, the opinions of non-Americans should be considered as well; making it all the more difficult.
maxresdefault.jpg

montyz81

As a Patriots fan, I agree.
Gretzky however, is Canadian. (Though, as a Bruins fan, if I were looking for folks to put into a Canadian film, I'd say Bobby Orr before Gretzky :p ) The 1980 US Olympic Hockey team was in the film before.
Fair enough. I guess I was trying to be impartial to Boston only sports. I can think of many others from the US at the top of their game that could have been included. I don't remember the 1980 Hockey team and I have seen that film since 1983. I'll look back in the archives.

montyz81

I am not so sure I agree with this statement. American's should be the only ones to have an opinion about what should or should not be included in a film about America. Part of the problem with this country and to a certain extent the problem with this world is that we spend to much time worrying about what everyone thinks to the point of grinding progress down to a halt. If I am speaking out of turn here, I do apologize. I guess I look at it as, who am I to have an opinion as to whether or not William Shatner or Martin Short should show up as the narrator of O'Canada? It isn't my country so I don't have the right to provide an opinion. Again sorry if I am not following your point.

JohnD

Here's a quick rundown of who all is included in the updated montage. Figures marked with an asterisk are new to this version. Descriptions in brackets are ones I'm not sure about; I'd gladly update the list if anybody has a better idea how they are
  1. Marines raising flag at Iwo Jima
  2. War is Over celebrators
  3. Mary Martin
  4. Norman Rockwell (self-portrait)
  5. Jackie Robinson
  6. Rosa Parks
  7. Jasper Johns (painting US flags)
  8. Dwight & Mamie Eisenhower
  9. Marilyn Monroe
  10. Johnny Carson (on TV)
  11. Lucille Ball (on TV)
  12. Walt Disney
  13. Chuck Yeager
  14. Albert Einstein
  15. [boy with walking crutches]
  16. Jonas Salk
  17. Babe Didrikson Zaharias
  18. Frank Lloyd Wright
  19. Aaron Copland
  20. Frank Sinatra
  21. Louis Armstrong
  22. Ella Fitzgerald
  23. Elvis Presley
  24. John F Kennedy (dialogue) & Lyndon Johnson
  25. John F Kennedy Jr
  26. Civil Rights protestors
  27. Martin Luther King Jr (dialogue)
  28. Moon landing with Neil Armstrong & NASA ground control
  29. Walter Cronkite
  30. Bob Dylan
  31. [hippie woman]
  32. Cesar Chavez
  33. Iron Eyes Cody
  34. [protestors]
  35. Alex Haley
  36. US soldiers in Vietnam
  37. Vietnam protestors
  38. Joan Baez
  39. Mourners at Vietnam Memorial
  40. Gloria Steinem
  41. Sandra Day O'Connor
  42. Billie Jean King
  43. Jim Henson
  44. George Lucas
  45. Steve Jobs
  46. Challenger crew
  47. [astronaut playing clarinet]
  48. Ronald Reagan & Mikhail Gorbachev (at Berlin Wall)
  49. *Madonna
  50. *Quincy Jones
  51. *John Williams
  52. [AIDS scientists]
  53. George W Bush & 9/11 firefighters
  54. Army Special Forces (berets)
  55. *Girl with flag
  56. Military family reunion
  57. *Michael Phelps
  58. Bill Clinton & George HW Bush
  59. *Bill & Melinda Gates
  60. *Barack & Michelle Obama
  61. *Venus & Serena Williams
  62. *LeBron James
  63. *Misty Copeland
  64. Yo-Yo Ma
  65. *Beyoncé Knowles
  66. *Elon Musk
  67. *Neil deGrasse Tyson
  68. *Mark Zukerberg
  69. Muhammed Ali (Atlanta Olympics torch)
  70. *Tatyana McFadden
  71. *2016 Olympic women's gymnastics team
Removed from this version: NWA, Whoopi Goldberg(?) and Billy Crystal(?) (at Comic Relief), Willie Nelson (at Farm Aid), Race for the Cure runners, Tom Brokaw, NYC police, Michelle Kwan, 1980 Olympic hockey team ("miracle on ice"), Tony Hawk, Tiger Woods, Oprah Winfrey, Frank Gehry, Rick & **** Hoyt, Lance Armstrong, 2004(?) Olympic women's volleyball team, kids with sparklers

I find it interesting that NDT and Musk are both in it.

FD2452F6-AB4A-454F-BA8D-5B862119739D.png

Last edited:

trainplane3

Kinda makes me wish the new version was delayed. Instead of the SpaceX model behind Musk, they could have shown Starman in the Tesla.
But on the other hand, that's the Dragon capsule which will actually be carrying people later this year*. So I guess it could be seen as future proofing? Regardless, I'm glad to see Mr. Awkward Speaker in the movie! Watch his press announcements, they're always good fun. Makes him seem more human and less robot-like (unlike most CEOs).

*December 2018...as long as no delays happen of course.

PB Watermelon

Steven Spielberg is one of the founding members of Dreamworks, would Disney be likely to exclude him for that reason?

I might be wrong, but I think Spielberg signed an exclusive agreement with Universal to develop theme park attractions, and before then, had a pronounced falling-out with Michael Eisner post-Roger Rabbit. Which is a shame, because Spielberg is a huge admirer of Walt Disney and has peppered his films with little references to Walt's work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom