American Adventure Projection System Fail

Moniemon97

I was actually in the theater when this happened. We didn’t want to ruin the show for ourselves so we left early. We alerted Lonnie that the show wasn’t working. He was standing outside, he immediately removed the next showtime magnet out front, and acted to fix the problem. The projection worked at the beginning but became distorted at the Civil War Two Brothers scene.

esskay

Meh I’ve seen worse. Tough to be a bug was unwatchable earlier this year. The projector was completely knackered with little to nothing visible on the screen.

And the cast members did nothing or weren’t allowed to. We tried again a few days later and it was still broken but ruinning.

EricsBiscuit

Oh please this ancient attraction should have been gutted years ago. Nothing against America. I love my country dearly but this dated thing is a snooze fest that has not been updated other than the screened finale since when??? My husband always HAS TO SEE THIS THING each and every time we go to Epcot.:rolleyes: Luckily now there is Star Lord :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove: just across the path for me and my daughter to enjoy in this area of the park. On one of the Mommy Blogs I contribute in, we have discussed before ways to improve the pavilion and update the dated show to something that keeps audiences awake and make it aim more to audiences of today. Unfortunately Disney has not heard our plead yet on this attraction, other than the few new clips to the ending film.
Oh please this ancient attraction should have been gutted years ago. Nothing against America. I love my country dearly but this dated thing is a snooze fest that has not been updated other than the screened finale since when??? My husband always HAS TO SEE THIS THING each and every time we go to Epcot.:rolleyes: Luckily now there is Star Lord :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove: just across the path for me and my daughter to enjoy in this area of the park. On one of the Mommy Blogs I contribute in, we have discussed before ways to improve the pavilion and update the dated show to something that keeps audiences awake and make it aim more to audiences of today. Unfortunately Disney has not heard our plead yet on this attraction, other than the few new clips to the ending film.
You are an amazing troll. If you're serious I will join the others and salute your husband.

KBLovedDisney

Ya know, you could just NOT go on it and let your husband enjoy it by himself.

You could do that.
giphy.gif

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

The same "audiences of today" that need to be spoon-fed their "knowledge" in 15-30 second sound bytes, are addicted to social-anything, and wouldn't know good music if it slapped them upside the head? No thanks. You've completely missed the purpose of The American Adventure, and I will join in the chorus of those thankful that Disney hasn't "heard your plead yet on this attraction".

DisneyCane

Anyone know what the actual problem here is? That pattern seems to be maybe a focus system?
I would be curious to know how this was caused. It's almost like something was in front of the projection lens. I don't see how the imagers (all 3 of them)/lens combination could possibly produce this kind of pattern. It's like a grate or something fell in front of the lens.

Unplugged

It seems Disney have chosen not to take your or the "Mommy bloggers” advice. But they did build Toy Story Land for those who prefer something of a different style. And they’re building Rat too, of different style and pace.

Thank god this hasn’t been gutted.
Indeed Marni, indeed! AA is such a classic show in both design and execution that to me it ranks above Hall of Presidents. While I love seeing it, there are times when I'm tired from the heat or such and intentionally do not stop in out of fear of being disrespectful if I accidentally fell asleep.

If the Mommy Bloggers don't like classic shows like this, perhaps they'd prefer an American Dance & Cheer pavilion? I get that not all attractions cater to all styles, and (even in these forums), varying opinions can be welcomed or accepted. But to admit to being a "Mommy blogger" and imply that it somehow means the gossipy contributors maintain a level of expertise in the field can only be addressed by shaking our heads.

Kingtut

Gatorland is just down the road and it has 3 amazing reptile shows I'm sure you would enjoy.

kelknight84

Last time we saw this show the CM who is supposed to stay in the theater ducked behind the podium during the whole show and played on his cell phone. His brightness was also set to the max and illumunated the entire front right of the auditorium. It was terrible show, and he definitely would have missed if anything went amiss. Still wish I would have said something.

Castle Cake Apologist

American Adventure regularly plays to full audiences. Audiences who often applaud at the conclusion of the presentation.

The attraction is a timeless WED masterpiece, and is as relevant as it was the day it opened.

Serious question- how can a historical presentation be outdated? Did the history of our nation change at some point?

Last edited:

spacemtnfanatic

Can fonfirm. Disney has incredibly petty and vicious people as operations leaders and they absolutely will reprimand a cast member for an e-stop that wasn't 100% necessary. That is how this happens. This is the same leadership culture that causes rides to keep operating with absolute key show elements out, because it looks better on them to keep it open than to have to explain why it was closed.

I just want to “bump” this because of how true it is. I was a GSM for a little less than a year (worked at WDW for 6+ years) and being an attractions GSM was the worst job I ever had. My peers were cutthroat, vicious, and ruthless. My area leader had unrealistic expectations. We were expected to work 50 hour weeks on a 40 hour base salary. My area leader would stroll in around 8:30 and be out by 4. My peers lived for reprimanding cast. It was hell. I still have nightmares about having to go back and do that job.

spock8113

It looks like a piece of window screen was in front of the projector(s). Very odd...
That's actually pretty accurate. Some projectors have a fine mesh that the image is projected through to better diffuse the image.
The screening is so fine and so close to the projective lens that you really don't notice, kinda like when they shoot through tissue paper to soften the image.
I'm guessing the retaining hardware let the screen fall away from the projecting lens, however..............
Maybe not!

Brad Bishop

The keys are supposed to trump the others in succession: 1. Safety, above all else. All three other keys can be dropped in the name of safety. 2. Courtesy - guest service should come before everything except safety) 3. Show 4. Efficiency (show should never be sacrificed for efficiency) It gets complicated when some Disney leaders interpret it differently.

I think that this is what happens when companies get big. Everything becomes bureaucratic. It's better to have something mess up than to have someone make a call and possibly mess up (if they made the wrong call). When someone messes up, you just create another rule in the rulebook, say you've handled the situation, and move on.

You end up with management really being a "process management" rather than just a team of managers and those customer facing employees learn to either turn their brain off or that it's such a hassle to go through the appropriate channels to get something done that it simply isn't worth it. Maybe you think, "You know, just let it go. By the time I have three levels of management sign off on stopping this show the show will be over. <sigh>"

I think it's also a sign that the risk-adverse kids from the 1990s (had to wear a helmet and floaties to take a bath, the playground was covered in cushions, etc.) have solidly made it into middle management. You could have replaced the monorails 10 years back (started the process) but the safe bet was to let them run "one more day" (everyday, for another 10 years). You can now show on paper how you saved the company $millions and you never got yelled at for spending money. It was the safe bet.

Previous generations were quite a bit more "gung-ho" with regards to betting. Sometimes they'd win and sometimes they'd lose (Walt wasn't a safe better - you could argue he may have been too far the other way).

You'd think that someone would come in and say, "This is dumb. Just let the cast member stop the show in this situation." That would just start middle-management arguments as everyone tries to prove how important it is that they're in the chain to "make the safe call".

It's not just a problem with Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom