American Adventure Projection System Fail

thelookingglass

Yep.

What complicates things is that some keys are not mutually exclusive.
Yeah. Not being efficient is discourteous... so courtesy is often sacrificed in favor of efficiency. Closing an attraction when it isn't 100% necessary is discourteous and inefficient, so the Show key gets overridden.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
On a related note, while I was in Epcot last month, the AA sled had some trouble at the very end of the show. The issues started as the Rosie the Riveter scene ended. The ship set seemed to get stuck as it lowered into the stage before the ending montage, eventually lowering fully a bit into the video. Then as the montage came to a close, Franklin and Twain's dialogue played, but the Statue of Liberty set didn't raise, and the cast member stopped the show while citing technical difficulties.

That was the first time I'd ever seen the show malfunction like that.

I’m pretty certain this would have been a computerised E stop, not a cast member stop. I’ve seen similar before.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
By the book, for AmAd, a guest services manger or above has to make the call. This includes the loss of "key or critical projection". From the posted pictures to my eyes this is what happened.

However.... “based on park conditions or other attraction downtimes, management reserves the right to continue to operate an attraction when the show scene that constitutes a downtime in inoperable”. This I don’t belive is what happened.

At a guess it took x amount of minutes to get permission from a GSM to scrub and dump. I obviously wasn’t there but the GSM could have been dealing with another issue. Been in the bathroom. Or something as simple as a radio not working. It boils down to the poor front line CM in the theatre with their finger literally on the button doesn’t have the authority to scrub this show immediately due to a projection system malfunction.

Last edited:

PiXie Mom

Oh please this ancient attraction should have been gutted years ago. Nothing against America. I love my country dearly but this dated thing is a snooze fest that has not been updated other than the screened finale since when??? My husband always HAS TO SEE THIS THING each and every time we go to Epcot.:rolleyes: Luckily now there is Star Lord :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove: just across the path for me and my daughter to enjoy in this area of the park. On one of the Mommy Blogs I contribute in, we have discussed before ways to improve the pavilion and update the dated show to something that keeps audiences awake and make it aim more to audiences of today. Unfortunately Disney has not heard our plead yet on this attraction, other than the few new clips to the ending film.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Oh please this ancient attraction should have been gutted years ago. Nothing against America. I love my country dearly but this dated thing is a snooze fest that has not been updated other than the screened finale since when??? My husband always HAS TO SEE THIS THING each and every time we go to Epcot.:rolleyes: Luckily now there is Star Lord :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove: just across the path for me and my daughter to enjoy in this area of the park. On one of the Mommy Blogs I contribute in, we have discussed before ways to improve the pavilion and update the dated show to something that keeps audiences awake and make it aim more to audiences of today. Unfortunately Disney has not heard our plead yet on this attraction, other than the few new clips to the ending film.
It seems Disney have chosen not to take your or the "Mommy bloggers” advice. But they did build Toy Story Land for those who prefer something of a different style. And they’re building Rat too, of different style and pace.

Thank god this hasn’t been gutted.

Last edited:

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Original Poster

Your husband is a trooper. I salute him.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
images(24) (2).jpg

PiXie Mom

It seems Disney have chosen not to take your or the "Mommy bloggers” advice. But they did build Toy Story Land for those who prefer something of a different style. And they’re building Rat too, of different style and pace.

Thank god this hasn’t been gutted.
Maybe not gut completely but renovate to where it floats better with current audiences. Throw in some more female animatronic historical figures of importance. It can carry heavily with fans of how it is now with enough to appease newer, more casual fans who don't want to sit through a forty minute history lesson at a theme park. That is just my opinion.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Original Poster
Maybe not gut completely but renovate to where it floats better with current audiences. Throw in some more female animatronic historical figures of importance. It can carry heavily with fans of how it is now with enough to appease newer, more casual fans who don't want to sit through a forty minute history lesson at a theme park. That is just my opinion.

Maybe add some Star Lord too?

andysol

Throw in some more female animatronic historical figures of importance.

Great suggestion!

Pray, tell- who should we remove and replace with which female animatronic?

Too bad the show ends after world war 2, otherwise, they could have found a way to fit in Heather “The Dooce” Armstrong. The original mommy blogger.
What is more important to American history, right?

Goofyernmost

History? Dated? How can that be? Me thinks that you have completely missed the whole purpose of the show, the complexity of it, the absolute jaw dropping use of AA's to tell a story instead of the, I just want mindless playground fun. Tear it down and put up some swings and other child like play things. You may love your country dearly, but, you certainly do not have any clue about what this country is supposed to be all about and how it got there and no real respect for what it took to get us that way. Life with blinders on is what I would call that.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

True. But this particular fault was with the projection system. My point is that they now could point a camera at the stage and have a secondary system literally just watch the whole show, much like a guest would, and return a percentage assessment based on how numerically close it thought the current show was to a trained "ideal."

Additionally, I think it is foolish to put operations in charge of show quality E-stops. Their department literally gets paid to prioritize capacity over show. It's no surprise that this has resulted in an environment where operators are hesitant to stop a clearly malfunctioning show; fearing reprisal just for doing an effective job.
Not only could they do this, it wouldn't even be that expensive. IMAX and I believe Dolby Cinema use a system like this for calibration and monitoring. Dolby Atmos (in professional applications) has microphones monitoring the sound.

It's just software to compare live audio/video to a recorded version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom