American Adventure Projection System Fail

RobotWolf

Now that machine learning is a more mature technology, it's probably time for Disney to automate some of their show quality monitoring.

peter11435

Now that machine learning is a more mature technology, it's probably time for Disney to automate some of their show quality monitoring.
In many cases this is already happening. The system identifies the problem. It just takes people to react.

Many attractions show control systems will report faults with certain show elements.

Last edited:

BigThunderMatt

I suppose it is possible, but, I'm not able to accept that answer.

Well, accept it. Management in operations is notorious for valuing efficiency above all other aspects and e-stop situations are essentially reserved exclusively for when somebody is dying. And sometimes not even then. Anything that reduces overall throughput is looked at like the world is ending.

Goofyernmost

Well, accept it. Management in operations is notorious for valuing efficiency above all other aspects and e-stop situations are essentially reserved exclusively for when somebody is dying. And sometimes not even then. Anything that reduces overall throughput is looked at like the world is ending.
Nope, that would be the dumbest thing possible and although I don't think they are necessarily the brightest bulbs on the tree, they are not that stupid and if they are, then Disney deserves to go into the toilet and the sooner the better. Anything that gets the attention of the public and the word of mouth machine this negatively is the world ending. That is why I continue to believe that there is more to this story.

thelookingglass

Can fonfirm. Disney has incredibly petty and vicious people as operations leaders and they absolutely will reprimand a cast member for an e-stop that wasn't 100% necessary. That is how this happens. This is the same leadership culture that causes rides to keep operating with absolute key show elements out, because it looks better on them to keep it open than to have to explain why it was closed.

peter11435

Nope, that would be the dumbest thing possible and although I don't think they are necessarily the brightest bulbs on the tree, they are not that stupid and if they are, then Disney deserves to go into the toilet and the sooner the better. Anything that gets the attention of the public and the word of mouth machine this negatively is the world ending. That is why I continue to believe that there is more to this story.
Cast are generally not authorized to take an attraction down on their own for a show concern. Safety, yes. Show? They need to go through a leader and it would be their call. I believe the OP said the show was eventually stopped. This was probably the length of time it took to notify and receive a response from the leader.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
On a related note, while I was in Epcot last month, the AA sled had some trouble at the very end of the show. The issues started as the Rosie the Riveter scene ended. The ship set seemed to get stuck as it lowered into the stage before the ending montage, eventually lowering fully a bit into the video. Then as the montage came to a close, Franklin and Twain's dialogue played, but the Statue of Liberty set didn't raise, and the cast member stopped the show while citing technical difficulties.

That was the first time I'd ever seen the show malfunction like that.

RobotWolf

In many cases this is already happening. The system identifies the problem. It just takes people to react.

Many attractions show control systems will report faults with certain show elements.

True. But this particular fault was with the projection system. My point is that they now could point a camera at the stage and have a secondary system literally just watch the whole show, much like a guest would, and return a percentage assessment based on how numerically close it thought the current show was to a trained "ideal."

Additionally, I think it is foolish to put operations in charge of show quality E-stops. Their department literally gets paid to prioritize capacity over show. It's no surprise that this has resulted in an environment where operators are hesitant to stop a clearly malfunctioning show; fearing reprisal just for doing an effective job.

peter11435

True. But this particular fault was with the projection system. My point is that they now could point a camera at the stage and have a secondary system literally just watch the whole show, much like a guest would, and return a percentage assessment based on how numerically close it thought the current show was to a trained "ideal."

Additionally, I think it is foolish to put operations in charge of show quality E-stops. Their department literally gets paid to prioritize capacity over show. It's no surprise that this has resulted in an environment where operators are hesitant to stop a clearly malfunctioning show; fearing reprisal just for doing an effective job.
Some attractions already use cameras monitoring some animation as well as a variety of other methods to identify and alert operations and maintenance of potential show concerns.

The problem with someone other than operations being in charge is that operations is the only one actually present at the attractions on a constant basis.

RobotWolf

Some attractions already use cameras monitoring some animation as well as a variety of other methods to identify and alert operations and maintenance of potential show concerns.

The problem with someone other than operations being in charge is that operations is the only one actually present at the attractions on a constant basis.

While it is true they have been using cameras and a variety of sensors for a very long time, my point was that the show quality process could be automated to a point where a human's assessment is no longer necessary. They are not doing this currently.

peter11435

While it is true they have been using cameras and a variety of sensors for a very long time, my point was that they show quality process could be automated to a point where a human's assessment is no longer necessary. They are not doing this currently.

That would certainly be beyond the current process. As a guest/Disney fan I think this would be great for maintaining proper show quality. However I can’t see them ever going through with something like this. Removing the ability for operations to make the judgement based on operational considerations will likely never happen.

RobotWolf

That would certainly be beyond the current process. As a guest/Disney fan I think this would be great for maintaining proper show quality. However I can’t see them ever going through with something like this. Removing the ability for operations to make the judgement based on operational considerations will likely never happen.

That certainly may be so. It's not surprising considering the priorities of the current administration. The technology is certainly there, however.

Also, ops will always have the ability to stops shows for other priorities such as safety.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Original Poster
It would have to allow ops the ability to continue operating an attraction despite the system identify show concerns... Unfortunately

If only Disney had some overriding keys to ensuring quality guest experience that management could use. You know like Safety, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency. Listed in the order of most importance of course.

thelookingglass

Unfortunately it’s not that simple.
The keys are supposed to trump the others in succession: 1. Safety, above all else. All three other keys can be dropped in the name of safety. 2. Courtesy - guest service should come before everything except safety) 3. Show 4. Efficiency (show should never be sacrificed for efficiency) It gets complicated when some Disney leaders interpret it differently.

peter11435

The keys are supposed to trump the others in succession: 1. Safety, above all else. All three other keys can be dropped in the name of safety. 2. Courtesy - guest service should come before everything except safety) 3. Show 4. Efficiency (show should never be sacrificed for efficiency) It gets complicated when some Disney leaders interpret it differently.

Yep.

What complicates things is that some keys are not mutually exclusive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom