American Adventure Additions

sdguy1234

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I was listening to golden dream the other day, and I can't get over what an awesome attraction this is. I also think that they should add some scenes in the show for their anniversay. I think that additions would be a welcome event to help them celebrate. If you were an imaginear, what would you add or not add?
Comments?

I would add something about segregation, and maybe 9/11.

What do you guys think?

barnum42

American idealised history tends to bypass the truth in order to paint a more rosy Hollywood-style history. I don't see the American Adventure dwelling on any of the negatives of the country's past.

disneydata

barnum42 said:
American idealised history tends to bypass the truth in order to paint a more rosy Hollywood-style history. I don't see the American Adventure dwelling on any of the negatives of the country's past.
OK, well let's see ...

Slavery
Civil War
Suffering of Native Americans
World War I
World War II

Need I say more?

On another note, it would be very hard to add scenes to the show since all the spots in the scene changer are filled. They would either have to replace old scenes or build a new scene changer (which is WAY too much money for its worth).

barnum42

disneydata said:
OK, well let's see ...

Slavery
Civil War
Suffering of Native Americans
World War I
World War II

Need I say more?
My statement is not just directed at the American Adventure per se, but the American view of history in general.

In the attraction the above points get a brief sanitised acknowledgement, but not enough to do them true justice (To be honest, nobody visiting a Disney Park would want to dwell on these dark aspects of the nation's development). There is a slight mention of slavery, but nothing about the true horrors and degradation it involved, nothing about the wholesale slaughter of Native Americans, and little mention of the realities of the world wars, but then Hollywood would have us believe that America won them both single handed.

I enjoy the American Adventure, but you will find that other nations are far more cynical of the Hollywood twist on history and if you look around at many of the non American visitors they don't get patriotic buzz that this show stirs . This may be as they are more aware of the realities behind the glossy show that has just taken place.

PeeplMoovr

barnum42 said:
My statement is not just directed at the American Adventure per se, but the American view of history in general.

In the attraction the above points get a brief sanitised acknowledgement, but not enough to do them true justice (To be honest, nobody visiting a Disney Park would want to dwell on these dark aspects of the nation's development). There is a slight mention of slavery, but nothing about the true horrors and degradation it involved, nothing about the wholesale slaughter of Native Americans, and little mention of the realities of the world wars, but then Hollywood would have us believe that America won them both single handed.

I enjoy the American Adventure, but you will find that other nations are far more cynical of the Hollywood twist on history and if you look around at many of the non American visitors they don't get patriotic buzz that this show stirs . This may be as they are more aware of the realities behind the glossy show that has just taken place.

I agree with most of what you say. First, the idealized American view of history - very true. But I don't think EPCOT is the correct forum for correcting that rosy view of history Hollywood, and many Americans, have. Not sure if the cause of this is pride or ignorance, but I do agree it exists.

Second, I'm American and I do get emotional watching this attraction. Not because I'm proud of much of what this country has done or where it stands today (I'm not), but because it portrays an ideal that this country could achieve, or ideas that it once had that still could be realized. I think this attraction is best enjoyed when one knows the truths behind the few seconds the attraction gives to some of these deeply involved topics. The emotions I get from the attraction aren't just patriotic buzz, though. AA makes me hopeful at times and can be inspirational. But it makes me angry as well because it forces me think of some of the unbelievably horrific things we've done and continue to do. And sometimes it makes me sad because it speaks to dreams and ideas great people have had, but have yet to be realized.

KevinPage

barnum42 said:

And the rest of the world isn't guilty of this :confused: :veryconfu

The American Adventure points out the "not so glamorous" parts of our country's history. It's not presented as all "peaches and cream" by any stretch of the imagination

I always find it humorous when people complain/are offended when something is perceived as being "pro American".(not to say that you are being this way Barnum)

I equate it to the Disney Company in many respects. When you are at the top of the food chain, you get all the backlash for being so visible and/or successful.

Between the BBC (almost as bad as Al Jazeer) & our media, we get a bad enough rap as it is. I enjoy things that point out our "positives".

The American Adventure is the best thing on Disney property (along with Illuminations). It creates a nice balance and perspective of our history. And I for one am dang proud of what this country has accomplished and overcome through the years.

Granted, you can't delve into every bad situation, but what is so wrong with presenting a positive, uplifting message? It's not done heavy handed.

:D :D :D

PeeplMoovr

Oh, and as far as additions:
I think it would be great if a scene was added with an AA of Martin Luther King, Jr. doing the most famous part of his "I have a dream" speech. That speech gets me every time.

barnum42

KevinPage said:
And the rest of the world isn't guilty of this :confused: :veryconfu

And I for one am dang proud of what this country has accomplished and overcome through the years.

but what is so wrong with presenting a positive, uplifting message? It's not done heavy handed.

Lots of countries are of course guilty of changing history to suit their agendas, but the power of Hollywood forces it's opinion over a much wider area of the globe. Take U571 (I know I've moaned about this in the past) which shows the "true" story of how America won the war by capturing the German Enigma machine from a U-boat. The real truth is that the Royal Navy captured it and it was a team in Britain that broke the code. We won't even go near Braveheart :lol: Even the most staunch of Scots patriots can't support it.

I would not want to take away people's pride in their nation - I don't have it in mine, but that's probably a combination of not being proud of what I see everyday, couple with the PC movement that banned anyone English from display national pride outside of a football stadium :rolleyes:

I personally don't have a problem with AA, but for many who are even more cynical than I, they do find it a bit heavy handed.

m star

Just a thought... They could change just the golden dreams movie at the end, and not any of the animatronics. That way they would not have to replace any scenes or make a new scene changer.

DisneyFanLS

While I agree that Disney DOES portray an idealized version of American History, lest we forget that WDW is supposed to be (and IS in my humble opinion) the "happiest place on earth"....they do not and probably will never portray a "dark" side of American history...anyhow with that said....

I think I would add the historic "...one small step for man....one giant leap for mankind..." scene...it would be great to see an animatronic astronaut appear from a lunar module....descend the ladder and take that "one small step"....

The one thing that I LOVE is to listen to the Voices of Liberty singers pre-show....every time they sing the Star Spangled Banner at the end of the pre-show, it ALWAYS rolls a tear down my cheek...WOW!!!!!!!!! :sohappy: :sohappy:

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Interesting discussions, and I commend all for keeping a subject that could easily slip into deep....well, I wish all discussions could be handled this well.

I think Mstar has the best idea in that the finale movie could easily/should be changed/updated.

While I am fine with the "softened" history, the one criticism I have of the show, specifically the film is the predominance of actors in the images. I love Hollywood, but if we are talking about US milestones and history makers, I just don't think of Marilyn Monroe.

I think the major importance in this show and with the Hall of Presidents is that the issues are at least identified. If slavery, the treatment of Native Americans etc were ignored, then I would consider it a problem

I also tend to personally overcompensate as I feel we focus too much on the negatives, repeatedly beat ourselves up over them and ignore the positives.
Slavery is deplorable, but we ended it here while it is regular practice in many places in the world (that the UN ignores), persecution of indigenous people, ethnic and religious groups is more the rule than the exception, so why do we dwell on our share of the skeletons in the closet. I could go on, but hope I've made my point.

Anyway, the US isn't anywhere near perfect, we are successful, have done a lot of good things and many benefit from our accomplishments. Pride can be taken in that.

Oh, and Barnum...ya can't blame us for Braveheart...that was and Aussie revision wasn't it? :animwink: :lol:

longfamily

It disturbs me that anyone would focus on a negative aspect of what should go into this particular show. First let me add that negative facts do not belong in a show built to honor any country. It is stupid to air your dirty laundry especially when many of the visitors to AA are not from America. AA is a celebration of the hardships that Americans have been through to create the nation that is today...and boy did we have some whoppers!

If you want to argue over "Hollywood History" make sure you know what your talking about. We could debate for days about what was real and what was not. Truthfully, most Americans have no clue what the real historical facts are because most Americans get their historical "facts" from lower education avenues. That education is riddled with holes beyond imagination. For instance most slaves were actually treated fairly well but "hollywood" history would have you believe (which obviously most of you do) that slaves were abused and starved, ect. The cost of a slave in that time period is the equivelent to the price of a car today. Would you beat the crap out of your car? What happens when a person doesn't eat? They cannot perform. Would you starve the person that you need to work all day? This isn't a new concept. People back then were not ignorant by any means, they understood the implications involved if something negative happened to the slaves, and they understood the cost to replace them.

World Wars? We didn't even join in WWII until the end. Had America not joined the allies in this particular war, most of Europe would be speaking German right now. They were losing. France was already pretty much done at the time and England did not have a force large enough to prevent envasion.They were really busy with German air raids. We helped them get it all back. Does this mean that we "single handedly won the war?" No, but the truth is that they could not have done it without us. This is a horror to you? Are you feeling bad about Hiroshima? We truthfully did not know what the effects of the H-bomb would be. We knew the radiation would be devestating, we just didn't know that it would effect the population for so many years afterwards. We are still paying Japan compensation 62 years later. Many people died in Hiroshima that day. Many people died when Japan attacked Hawaii without warning as well. And, as a point, we have never used that bomb again.

The horrors that most people believe are false because of Hollywood and novelists. Pride in your country is not a luxury that many citizens of other countries have. America is something to be proud of. Go live anywhere else and write us a letter about how wonderful the rest of the world is in comparison. Go to Russia and tell us how easy it is to become wealthy. Go to Canada and tell us how great it is that you have extremely high Taxes. Go to the Middle East or the Orient and let us know how much fun it is to be a girl there because you enjoy being a shadow. Go anywhere and let us know that you are better off there.

The true horror that comes out of this country is that so much has been done to give Americans the abilty to live their lives with nobility and they can only point out that they are ashamed of the institution that gave them that right.

American Adventure is fine just the way it is.

Chase24

Golden Dreams

Since this thread is about the American Adventure, this question / comment is about the song. Does anyone have a preference for the New version or the Old Version of Golden Dreams. I got home with the new Disney CD and got the new version and really have to say I prefer the old one.

What do you all say. :)

davidUK

I don't normally respond on the boards but after some of the britain bashing going on i feel i do need to kinda stick my 2p worh.

As for american gloss i think it is perfectly fine that AA only refers (mainly) to the better, in morality terms, side of history - with the show being where it is you won't find the French, Nordic or any of the other countries dwelling on the darker sides of their past in their films at Epcot.

However the wider issue of hollywood gloss being discussed has brought up a little bit of bile. I personally belive that here in Britain we have THE BEST news ageny in the world the BBC reports accuratly and for the most part without bias. This is not true of the American Media (let's not even mention Fox news calling Bush's first term) So to say that we american bash is simply not true - we report the news - without editing or spin, (what our government do is a totally different matter). THe BBC won an international news award for it's coverage, both on screen and on-line, of the 2004 US Election, beating out all american news networks, because of its even handed approach - and i feel very, very proud that my media is not controlled and that my country is quick to look at both sides of the news and ask questions. Not every thing we do is great and in our major historical galleries and museums it tells the whole truth of our nasty past - which we do indeed have.

I'm not sorry for my countries history, i'm sorry for the atrosities that were commited. I'm just glad we don't gloss over them. Maybe it's because we have more history to hold on to or maybe it's just our self depricating culture, i don't know, but i am happy i can rely on my media and my school system to tel lthe whole truth - including about the war - thanks for helping, but you didn't win it for us, we wern't loosing, you won it with us.

Sorry if this is completely off topic! but i feel better, it's cheaper than therapy, and remember, you can dissaggree with me completly i'm not stubborn enough to yell back - if i'm wrong tell me and i'll listen all i ask is tat you do the same in return

David
happy Briton
Dx

barnum42

Good post post Dave - though I did not pick up on any Briton Bashing (save may be by me, but then I am British)

What Dave mentions about the BBC news is true. Just because it says things that the public may not like and that the US news networks would never dare say in case it lost them advertising revenue from consumers wanting to stick their heads in the sand (not accusing any individuals here on that count) does not mean it's biased. I can't go into any specifics without the thread descending into a political slagging match (which is a no-no on these boards). I would not want the thread to be deleted as we have an interesting discussion and exchange of viewpoints going on here. :wave:

I have watched US television news and UK television news and I have to say the UK news wins - and not because they have more football coverage :lol:

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Now, back to American Adventure at Epcot

*throws rope across pond to help bring Dave and Barnum out of the heavy and into the fun once again*

Laura

Premium Member
Hmmm...I need to go watch it again, it's been a couple years since I've had time to stop and see the show. My first thought was 9/11 but I think it's way too soon to add a 9/11 tribute in there, but it's definitely a significant enough event in American history to be considered for the future. Maybe for the next generation. Right now I think it would just make everyone feel sad, and no one wants to feel sad at Disneyworld.

KevinPage

Chase24 said:
Since this thread is about the American Adventure, this question / comment is about the song. Does anyone have a preference for the New version or the Old Version of Golden Dreams. I got home with the new Disney CD and got the new version and really have to say I prefer the old one.
What do you all say. :)

When was the song changed? The version I have heard since 1996 is the same (or at least I don't see a difference) :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom