American Adventure Additions

barnum42

Gail Hayden said:
I would not blame Hollywood for the pasturization of American History, I would blame the authors of the History books put in the hands of the American School system. In the years since my graduation from High School, I have read a lot about America that will never be seen by most Americans. I won't go on, but, I will say: it has been an amazing discovery. Hollywood may be to blame in a small way, but, that is what they learned in school and never ever went on to see if it was true or not.
I have read in a Bill Bryson book where he stated how wrong many of the "facts" portrayed in the American eductation system are. I see from your post that this appears to be the case.

Hollywood may not be to blame for the pasteurization of American History, but the rest of the world gets to see that version of "history" and so they will use that to question the American slant on what has gone before. And I'm not just saying that because the English are always portrayed as the bad guys ;) :lol:

Gail Hayden

barnum42 said:
I have read in a Bill Bryson book where he stated how wrong many of the "facts" portrayed in the American eductation system are. I see from your post that this appears to be the case.

Hollywood may not be to blame for the pasteurization of American History, but the rest of the world gets to see that version of "history" and so they will use that to question the American slant on what has gone before. And I'm not just saying that because the English are always portrayed as the bad guys ;) :lol:

I would say "most" not "many". Frankly, I think the British/English made a brilliant move by sending the debtors and convicts to America and Australia. ;) Unfortunately, the Native Americans and Aboriginies don't appreciate the gesture. :(

longfamily

Gail Hayden said:
BUT, trust me, other countries know our history better than the average American does.
I don't need to go to Russia to understand how difficult it is to become wealthy, I live here, and that is hard enough. I don't need to go to Middle East or Orient to be a female, I am one here, and I can see many women in the shadows. It does happen here. For every negative in another country, you will see it replicated here. Why? Because we are dealing with human beings, and while they may appear to be different, they are all basically the same.

Unfortunately an average American's perception of history is misinformed at best. We could debate for weeks on slavery and more because we all have different information based on our level of education and involvement/interest with the subject. But, this is not the forum for that:)

But the above statement is worthy of healthy debate....
The difference between living in America and living elsewhere is ...choice.
What happens in America is completely based on choice. A person in America is not born with status per se. Status and wealth can go forward or backward based on personal decisions. A person in America born to poverty is not predestined to dwell in poverty forever. Every person here has an opportunity to better or worsen their personal situation. This is simply not true in most of the rest of the world.
Every woman (and man) in America can vote, hold prestigeous jobs and public office, be a prominate figure in society, be self-made, be single, and much more. She does not live in any shadow unless she chooses to be there. In other countries women cannot do these things. In Japan, a visitor cannot even acknowledge a woman if a man is present unless that man introduces her. In the middle east, a woman is an extension of her male caretaker. He can beat her, pour acid in her face, even kill her if he wishes without police interaction. She is there to breed and care for the children, period. She has no choice. An American woman can make the choice to leave. In many parts of the world if a woman is with more than one man she is put to death by the city. Women in most of the world are considered lower than dogs. A woman in America can live with abuse or choose not too. It is still her choice to make.
The reason why our country is called the land of opportunity is because we have the freedom to choose the way we live our lives. If you want to be wealthy, do it. If you want to pray to Mickey Mouse, that's fine. If you want to bad mouth your government you will not have your tongue cut out because of it. In America you can be as educated as you want (and work for), you can produce as many children as you want, you can own as many companies as you want, and if you can't get something on your own, your government will provide it to you. The rest of the world cannot offer this life to you.
Sure, America has the replication of problems that other countries have...because as individuals we make the choice too. We also have the choice not too. And that is what makes America noble.

That is the point of the American Adventure. The point is that we have done things over time to insure that we could have the choice to live as we want. That is the purest form of freedom...choice.:)

peter11435

I do, respectfully, disagree with your perception of slavery. They were not treated well and they were beaten and abused and they were considered non humans, but, animals, totally replaceable. Much like many people view their pets today.

While holding any human being as property is wrong. The fact is that slaves were treated far better than many of hour media and history books tell us. While I do not agree with it, purchasing a slave was making an investment, one that was costly and you would not want to harm. Slaves were at times beaten, but even that was more rare then we are led to believe. The majority of slave owners treated their slaves rather well, come even worked out in the fields with them. Most of the horror stories of slavery come from the few large plantations with very rich owners. Like I said I think slavery was wrong, and should never have been allowed, however it is a prime example of how misinformed we are about are history.

Gail Hayden

peter11435 said:
While holding any human being as property is wrong. The fact is that slaves were treated far better than many of hour media and history books tell us. While I do not agree with it, purchasing a slave was making an investment, one that was costly and you would not want to harm. Slaves were at times beaten, but even that was more rare then we are led to believe. The majority of slave owners treated their slaves rather well, come even worked out in the fields with them. Most of the horror stories of slavery come from the few large plantations with very rich owners. Like I said I think slavery was wrong, and should never have been allowed, however it is a prime example of how misinformed we are about are history.

I respectfully disagree with your assertion that they were treated well. I do agree that it was and is wrong. My s/o is AA and his family is from the south.
The way AAs were treated back then was less than perfect. The stories are heartbreaking and I believe factual both before and after Emancipation. I have read many books on this subject and do feel differently than you from what I have read. I believe this may be a case where you, long family and I will have to agree to disagree. :) None of us lived during that time, so, all this is, at best, educated assumptions.

Gail Hayden

longfamily said:
Unfortunately an average American's perception of history is misinformed at best. We could debate for weeks on slavery and more because we all have different information based on our level of education and involvement/interest with the subject. But, this is not the forum for that:)

But the above statement is worthy of healthy debate....
The difference between living in America and living elsewhere is ...choice.
What happens in America is completely based on choice. A person in America is not born with status per se. Status and wealth can go forward or backward based on personal decisions. A person in America born to poverty is not predestined to dwell in poverty forever. Every person here has an opportunity to better or worsen their personal situation. This is simply not true in most of the rest of the world.
Every woman (and man) in America can vote, hold prestigeous jobs and public office, be a prominate figure in society, be self-made, be single, and much more. She does not live in any shadow unless she chooses to be there. In other countries women cannot do these things. In Japan, a visitor cannot even acknowledge a woman if a man is present unless that man introduces her. In the middle east, a woman is an extension of her male caretaker. He can beat her, pour acid in her face, even kill her if he wishes without police interaction. She is there to breed and care for the children, period. She has no choice. An American woman can make the choice to leave. In many parts of the world if a woman is with more than one man she is put to death by the city. Women in most of the world are considered lower than dogs. A woman in America can live with abuse or choose not too. It is still her choice to make.
The reason why our country is called the land of opportunity is because we have the freedom to choose the way we live our lives. If you want to be wealthy, do it. If you want to pray to Mickey Mouse, that's fine. If you want to bad mouth your government you will not have your tongue cut out because of it. In America you can be as educated as you want (and work for), you can produce as many children as you want, you can own as many companies as you want, and if you can't get something on your own, your government will provide it to you. The rest of the world cannot offer this life to you.
Sure, America has the replication of problems that other countries have...because as individuals we make the choice too. We also have the choice not too. And that is what makes America noble.

That is the point of the American Adventure. The point is that we have done things over time to insure that we could have the choice to live as we want. That is the purest form of freedom...choice.:)

I absolutely do not disagree with anything you have written. I have read quite a few books on women's life in the middle east. Some of th stuff is absolutely shocking. IE: Fathers drowning their daughters in the swimming pool for flirting.
As to choice, you are absolutely correct. We all should be responsible for our choices.
The one and only thing I could debate you on are the folks born into poverty.
I do believe strongly that is an handicap that few can escape from. Your opinion on living as we want is totally pure, but, somewhat simplistic. I would have added that you are free to live as we wish as long as we are willing to work for it. Nothing is handed to anyone on a silver platter (as much as some of the folks with the entitlement mentality would like it.).
I have to add, you are one of the nicest people to discuss/debate stuff with.
I can also say we both have very strong opinions on things, which does enrich the discussions. :)

longfamily

Gail Hayden said:
I have to add, you are one of the nicest people to discuss/debate stuff with.

Thank you Gail:) As are you.

Gail Hayden said:
I can also say we both have very strong opinions on things, which does enrich the discussions. :)

LOL :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Isn't that the truth!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Drop it!

And this thread drift has the slightest thing to do with Disney HOW? Our current territory is innapropriate to this site and all know it.

Either lets get back to the real subject or put this thread to bed.

:mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom