AMC Theater finally getting a replacement at Downtown Disney

lazyboy97o

Lifestyle centers are the new lingo for malls. Since retail is kind of a dying animal, the goal is to provide people with other things to do to draw them there and keep them there. They want it to be a pleasant place to hang out vs. just a place to go shop. Look up The Grove in Los Angeles or The Americana in Glendale, that is what they are trying to emulate. Both draw massive crowds and feature lots of green space to sprawl out and enjoy the atmosphere.
It’s not new lingo. The term goes back to the late 80s.

DrAlice

Lifestyle centers are the new lingo for malls. Since retail is kind of a dying animal, the goal is to provide people with other things to do to draw them there and keep them there. They want it to be a pleasant place to hang out vs. just a place to go shop. Look up The Grove in Los Angeles or The Americana in Glendale, that is what they are trying to emulate. Both draw massive crowds and feature lots of green space to sprawl out and enjoy the atmosphere.
Thanks. I see what they are going for.

It’s not new lingo. The term goes back to the late 80s.
Huh. I guess I've never lived anywhere fancy enough for this to have taken hold.

etc98

If you squint at the concept art a little it looks like my ideal Tomorrowland redo. ☹️
I saw the concept art first without reading what it was for, and I definitely assumed it was for something in Tomorrowland. I like the aesthetic, but it does seem out of place with the rest of Downtown Disney.

lazyboy97o

The term may, but in the 80s malls were all the rage. Now lifestyle centers are, especially as retail continues its downward trend.
The term and the concept. It isn’t just a euphemism for mall, but a type of mall influenced more by the festival center than a typical mall of the time. A lifestyle center is a mall but not all malls are lifestyle centers.

Figments Friend

What...??
They are closing 'Earl of Sandwich'( again )...????!!!!!

Noooooooo!!!!

😭

The only thing worth walking all the way to the 'end' of the strip mall...was to visit the Earl and pick up some delicious sandwichs and other goodies.
Plus free refills on the soda!

What the fluff....why close a place that drives major business ( especially for hungry CMs )?
Grrrr...

Earl of Sandwich rules.
Here's hoping it just moves into a new space at DTD.

-

D.Silentu

I've seen at least one band and several DJ's perform there. I know it doesn't sound like much to write home about but at the time it was the only interesting thing happening at that end of Downtown Disney. I always welcome anything that will encourage live music, which seems to be a vanishing breed at the parks.

Parteecia

I've seen at least one band and several DJ's perform there. I know it doesn't sound like much to write home about but at the time it was the only interesting thing happening at that end of Downtown Disney. I always welcome anything that will encourage live music, which seems to be a vanishing breed at the parks.
There was usually someone playing there when we'd leave DL and be working our way through DTD to walk to M&F (before walking became mandatory). We always slowed down to dance and sing along as we passed by.

jmuboy

Personally this end of DTD on the DLH side was always sorta dead and has really been so since the failed 4th hotel. With the new DLH tower coming and more foot traffic I really welcome this change. And I don’t mind the aesthetic here sorta matching the DLH more while the other side matches the GCH more. It works. The whole DTD area has always been an odd mash up of architecture even in its original iterations

It is not clear what’s happening with the ESPN zone. I’d love to see this space become a Morimotto like they have at WDW. The old espn space could translate well to the Morimotto footprint

Vegas Disney Fan

My bet is Starbucks and Earls both come back to this location. Not sure if sugar was profitable but if they were looks like there’s plenty of space for them also.

The theater took up a lot of space, this will add a lot of options for more stores in DTD, my big question is will this be a one year project or will they somehow make it a five year project.

TP2000

I know @DrAlice already nailed them for this, but... MY... GAWD. How on earth do they communicate to the public like this with a straight face?

DISNEY PRESS RELEASE:
"Continuing that momentum, the Disneyland Resort is planning a multi-year project to take Downtown Disney District to the next level, with work beginning in January 2022. Kicking off the project, the former AMC Theatres building and adjacent area will be completely transformed into a stunning new lifestyle space."

ENGLISH TRANSLATION:
We have an abandoned mall we need to fix up. We are starting by tearing down the old AMC theater and replacing it with two new buildings for a half dozen shops and restaurants.

DISNEY PRESS RELEASE:

"Drawing inspiration from Southern California mid-century modern architecture, the area will be a beautiful blend of vibrant color palettes, multi-cultural design elements and patterns, an open lawn for relaxation and future events, and an even broader collection of dining and shopping."

ENGLISH TRANSLATION:
The new buildings will look nice and not be racist, and there will be a grassy area.

I know this was just the first announcement of what will be a much-needed rethink for that west end of Downtown Disney (notice ESPNZone and Rainforest Cafe were left out of this announcement... stay tuned!) but all they're doing is tearing out the old abandoned AMC and building a little strip mall. They are not gifting SoCal with fabulous new architecture or giving the community an upgrade to their lifestyle.

It's a little strip mall and permanent security screening. Nothing more. :rolleyes:

Downtown-Disney-District-Concept-Art-Featured-Image.jpg

Last edited:

J4546

love it! That area of DD was dead. I love the concpet are hopefully they go full on with that aesthetic all around DD. Also this looks like it may allow for building a second gate to CA pretty easily if they do anything like that Disneyforward concept stuff.

TP2000

True. But The Grove or The Americana in LA, or the Irvine Spectrum or Pacific City in OC were purpose-built for all that. Downtown Disney circa 2001 turned out to be a pleasant and very modest sized cheaper versions of those other SoCal malls. No trolley systems, no fountain shows, no carousels, no elaborate architecture and dynamic spaces. Downtown Disney was a noticeable downgrade from those other glamour centers and was just sort of... pleasant.

This latest strip mall replacement for AMC is underwhelming, especially compared to The Grove, Americana, Spectrum, etc..

The Grove, west Los Angeles

dhihuoupr9zmwqaqsyz7.png

grove-trolley-service-farmer-s-market-66000766.jpg

The Americana, Glendale

mixed-use-americana-at-brand-1-e1539902845142.jpg

AAB_LiterallyHealingTrolley_900x600.png

The Spectrum, Irvine

arch_fountain_2_irvine_spectrum.jpg

irvine-spectrum-carousel-picture-id486307241

So compared to other big "lifestyle centers" around SoCal, no that new strip mall at Downtown Disney replacing the old AMC is not impressive. Nor is it memorable, or worth all the words they used to try and make it seem far more exciting than it is. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MarvelCharacterNerd

I have never seen that stage get used in any of the times I've visited. What kind of performances used to happen on it?
It was left unused for a long time in 2020 and 2021 due to Covid social distancing concerns, but in recent weeks has returned to nightly performances from 6-9:30ish. It really stinks to lose it again so soon after finally getting the live music back again. :(

TP2000

I cut up the image from the press release and zoomed in a bit, so we can see how immersive this new strip mall lifestyle space will be...

"...the former AMC Theatres building and adjacent area will be completely transformed into a stunning new lifestyle space."

Wow! I can't wait to see this "stunning new lifestyle space"! 🤩

"Drawing inspiration from Southern California mid-century modern architecture, the area will be a beautiful blend of vibrant color palettes, multi-cultural design elements and patterns."

bldg1.jpg

Uh, gang, is that it? This is "stunning"? It's two boxes with some designs on them. It's drawn inspiration from every mid-level strip mall in America, not from SoCal Mid Century Modern. And what makes this "multi-cultural" exactly, besides a press release that says it's "multi-cultural"?

"...an open lawn for relaxation and future events, and an even broader collection of dining and shopping."

bldg2.jpg

Okay, the lawn looks nice, as most lawns that aren't dead do. But a second box for a restaurant with a patio shade structure is nearby. Is this the part that's "multi-cultural", or is this the part that is "stunning"? 🧐

Last edited:

smooch

I am sad about Earl of Sandwich, that was the only thing worthwhile on that end of DTD so I hope it reopens when the reworking of the area is done. Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen and EOS are my two favorite places to eat in DTD so it's sad that it might be going away again or is going away again I am confused right now about if it's just temporary while they work on the area. And like everyone else I find it genuinely painful to read these press releases and the slew of words they throw out to make an area sound more enticing / sound like it's more than what it actually is. I am curious what the living space or whatever replaces AMC will actually be. Sounds like an area to host events that take place in DLR which is a good thing I think.

TP2000

Let me see if I can write a Disney-level press release. It seems fairly easy, if you've got your adjectives ready.

Bringing the west end of Centervale Avenue to life, a stunning new lifestyle space has just opened west of WalMart that reflects this beautiful and vibrant community. Whimsy is found in the different roof heights and attached pergolas, while sidewalk tables reminiscent of European cafe society welcome shady relaxation, and a creamy palette of colors ignites the imagination. The multi-cultural communities who call Centervale home are reflected in the global-fusion cuisines on offer, from Panda Express to Chipotle, along with a focus on health and beauty with a Happy Nails and a Supercuts. Ample parking awaits at Centervale's nexus of lifestyle and diversity!

75df64f14a5b6000cf3857b9b13abbad.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom