AMC Theater finally getting a replacement at Downtown Disney

Disney Irish

Premium Member
View attachment 602418
I think you are correct, it looks like there will be 3 new buildings and a courtyard where the AMC building was, I think the current security area will be north of this concept art.

In the concept art the north edge of the building is where the monorail track corner ends.

I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think we’ll get a new security area as part of this project.
I think you're a little small in your renderings there, but yeah you basically got it.

TP2000

Sorry but I don't think that is a new security screening area being represented.

If you notice its very open, not very secure.

The screening area would be outside of the view of this concept art.

It appears that what we're looking at is a view that is shown from the northeast corner of the Adventure Tower (the original tower) of the Disneyland Hotel, which you can see in the edge of the sketch.

Or, put another way, this sketch is seen as if you were on the roof of the southwest corner of the ESPNZone. I've noted the monorail beam in orange, and the blue monorail train in the sketch driving towards the existing monorail station.

The image of the sketch is taken from an aerial viewpoint noted by the blue star on the left side of the photo. Purposely, the sketch leaves out the land where ESPNZone and Rainforest Cafe is, because they won't announce what goes on that area until later. This announcement was only about the "Stunning Lifestyle Space".

Inkeddtdaerial_LI.jpg

DTDAERIALDLH.jpg

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It appears that what we're looking at is a view that is shown from the northeast corner of the Adventure Tower (the original tower) of the Disneyland Hotel, which you can see in the edge of the sketch.

Or, put another way, this sketch is seen as if you were on the roof of the southwest corner of the ESPNZone. I've noted the monorail beam in orange, and the blue monorail train in the sketch driving towards the existing monorail station.

The image of the sketch is taken from an aerial viewpoint noted by the blue star on the left side of the photo. Purposely, the sketch leaves out the land where ESPNZone and Rainforest Cafe is, because they won't announce what goes on that area until later. This announcement was only about the "Stunning Lifestyle Space".

View attachment 602419

View attachment 602420
Which even if all of what you post here is true, indicates as I said previously that that left awning IS NOT the new screening area. Because that would put it even further into the area than it is today, even in your own "rendering".

The blue star in your first "rendering" is about where the screening is today, which is just outside and to the lower right of this concept art.

Last edited:

J4546

i am kinda sad to see no movie theater in downtown disney. If i were staying in a hotel nearby it would be nice to have

DrAlice

Different eras of corporations. Disney isn't unique in this, back then all product releases were done a lot differently than today. While we like to continue to hold Disney the standards of 50s-60s corporate life, we don't live in an episode of Mad Men. Corporation Communication is completely different and has been 20+ years, again Disney isn't unique here.
The other corporations (for the most part) aren't still hearkening back to their previous branding in the same way that Disney does. A huge part of the Disney brand is nostalgia for its own version of the past. From my point of view, I see Disney repeatedly "telling" us to hold them to their same old standard. That is absolutely jarring when juxtaposed with the modern corporate buzzword word salads.

And, I will continue to make fun of them for it, because it's cynically hilarious to me. YMMV. :D

TP2000

Different eras of corporations. Disney isn't unique in this, back then all product releases were done a lot differently than today. While we like to continue to hold Disney the standards of 50s-60s corporate life, we don't live in an episode of Mad Men. Corporation Communication is completely different and has been 20+ years, again Disney isn't unique here.

I'm old and weird, but I certainly don't remember press releases from the mid 20th century. I'm not that weird.

But I do remember when the English language was used appropriately and honestly to describe things. Calling this latest strip mall a "stunning lifestyle space" is not appropriate nor honest. It's two boxes of franchised retail/dining that will have tacked-on decorations next to a landscaped lawn area. It's nothing more.

Here's how Disney itself explained Downtown Disney in its 1999 Annual Report...

"Outside the park, as part of the transformation of the Anaheim Resort District, will be Downtown Disney, a 300,000-squarefoot retail, dining and entertainment complex with venues including House of Blues, Rainforest Cafe and ESPN Zone."

Not a single smarmy adjective like "stunning" or "vibrant" or even "multi-cultural" was used back then. They just simply told investors what it was; a 300,000 square foot retail, dining and entertainment complex.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think what you have listed as Adventure tower is a third new building in DTD, its got some spires on the roof, and a jog in the roofline, that aren’t on the tower, this would also create another border to keep the security area secure. What you have listed as security screening appears to be a replacement for the current stage.
Security would be below what we can see in the picture.

TP2000

I think what you have listed as Adventure tower is a third new building in DTD, its got some spires on the roof, and a jog in the roofline, that aren’t on the tower, this would also create another border to keep the security area secure. What you have listed as security screening appears to be a replacement for the current stage.
Security would be below what we can see in the picture.

Hmm.... You might be right.

I saw that building on the right of the image and assumed it was the Adventure Tower. But you're thinking this is something new they haven't announced yet?

The palm trees in the right of the image are artfully placed to obscure things a bit. But if we assume those palms are to realistic scale and actually above the building's roofline, then that can't be the 12 story tall Adventure Tower.

So what is it? And what are the two devilish horns placed on the edge of this building? Is that "multi-cultural" or is it "mid-century modern"?

adventure.jpg

TP2000

Of course, what's absolutely hysterical now that I type that post above, is that we're left to debate all this crap after a vague TDA press release about "stunning lifestyle spaces" and "multi-cultural design elements". 🤣

Perhaps we should all just step quietly away from this smarmy and overwrought press release...

and focus instead on thawing turkeys (you have already started the thawing, haven't you?!?) and the tribal merits of marshmallows vs. candied pecans on the tops of our sweet potato casseroles? 🦃

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hmm.... You might be right.

I saw that building on the right of the image and assumed it was the Adventure Tower. But you're thinking this is something new they haven't announced yet?

The palm trees in the right of the image are artfully placed to obscure things a bit. But if we assume those palms are to realistic scale and actually above the building's roofline, then that can't be the 12 story tall Adventure Tower.

So what is it? And what are the two devilish horns placed on the edge of this building? Is that "multi-cultural" or is it "mid-century modern"?

View attachment 602445
Nice to see you come around to what I said earlier today.

Also those "two horns" as you call them aren't on the building, they appear to be on the ground. That building appears to have its corner located where that first "horn" closest to us is placed.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm old and weird, but I certainly don't remember press releases from the mid 20th century. I'm not that weird.

But I do remember when the English language was used appropriately and honestly to describe things. Calling this latest strip mall a "stunning lifestyle space" is not appropriate nor honest. It's two boxes of franchised retail/dining that will have tacked-on decorations next to a landscaped lawn area. It's nothing more.

Here's how Disney itself explained Downtown Disney in its 1999 Annual Report...

"Outside the park, as part of the transformation of the Anaheim Resort District, will be Downtown Disney, a 300,000-squarefoot retail, dining and entertainment complex with venues including House of Blues, Rainforest Cafe and ESPN Zone."

Not a single smarmy adjective like "stunning" or "vibrant" or even "multi-cultural" was used back then. They just simply told investors what it was; a 300,000 square foot retail, dining and entertainment complex.

Annual Reports are boring and stuffy, they have always been that way, even today. They aren't "punched up" like a press release, because they are meant for investors not the media and Parks Fans who they're trying to get excited for a project that outside of us talking about it is admittedly rather boring. Because after all DTD is still just a retail, dining and entertainment complex even after this project.

Different audiences, so different types of corporate speak are used.

BTW, here is how DTD was described in 2005 -

"Downtown Disney, an energetic avenue leading to the entrances of Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure, is a lively, colorful array of innovative restaurants, interesting shops and dynamic entertainment venues. With live entertainment, lush landscaping and innovative architecture, Downtown Disney is the ideal location for a shopping spree, a dining excursion or simply a stroll through a unique Disney environment."

With words like energetic, lively, colorful, innovative, interesting, dynamic, lush, etc. They had already started to use those corporate buzz words even back then. This isn't a new phenomenon in corporate speak, its being going on for the better part of the last 20+ years.

Last edited:

TP2000

Nice to see you come around to what I said earlier today.

No dear, that's not what happened at all.

I'm open to the possibility that the blocky tower at the right of the sketch is not actually the Adventure Tower. But what is it? Why would a multi-level building be built there? Are they recreating the old Plaza Complex shopping center?

Yes kids, this was actually a thing. Roughly where Rainforest Cafe is/was today.
Plaza+Shops.jpg

Also those "two horns" as you call them aren't on the building, they appear to be on the ground. That building appears to have its corner located where that first "horn" closest to us is placed.

They look like they're attached to the building to me. About where the old glass elevator used to be, if that was the Adventure Tower and not a brand new blocky building.

But honestly, have you taken your turkey out of the freezer yet? It needs 12 hours of defrosting in the fridge for every 2 pounds of bird.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No dear, that's not what happened at all.

I'm open to the possibility that the blocky tower at the right of the sketch is not actually the Adventure Tower. But what is it? Why would a multi-level building be built there? Are they recreating the old Plaza Complex shopping center?

Plaza+Shops.jpg
But again if its NOT the Adventure Tower as you assumed, then that would put it as being a completely new building (likely a new store) as outlined previously. And if that is the case then your security screening area is way off as that building would also have to be inside the security bubble as well. As if you notice all those people on the grass and on the walk way in front of that building have free access to that whole area and haven't gone through that awning area that you think is security screening.

They look like they're attached to the building to me. About where the old glass elevator used to be, if that was the Adventure Tower and not a brand new blocky building.

building.png

So here I show the buildings edge. So if they don't go to the ground, then at the very least they are attached to a completely different store front.

But honestly, have you taken your turkey out of the freezer yet? It needs 12 hours of defrosting in the fridge for every 2 pounds of bird.
Since I'm not cooking there is nothing to take out. But I'm sure my family has got that covered, but thanks for being concerned about my defrosting habits.

CaptinEO

Beautifully said.

And it's exactly why so many of us make fun of Disney's recent media statements, and their other pre-crafted communication like the Parks Blog. It's been building for years, but the stuff they are publishing lately via various formats and departments has really become laughably pukey and just... smarmy. It's gross.

Walt was the complete and total opposite of these 30something "communicators" that Disney employs now. Walt humbly underplayed everything and just let the extremely high quality product do most of the talking.

In 1965 Walt went on national network color television and explained Disneyland's new ride this way...

"People are going to get on a boat here and ride through the lagoon, and then as they get around here we're going to take them down a waterfall! And we'll take 'em back into the past, into the days of pirates, you know where the whole caribbean area was full of pirates and they were always sacking towns and things."

That's how Walt humbly introduced Pirates of the Caribbean to America. And things. 🤣

So you'll have to excuse us if we roll our eyes, laugh at them, and then tune out their pukey blather that describes a small, nicely landscaped strip mall as a "multi-cultural stunning lifestyle space".

But he didn't talk about innovation! Or about how guests will be immersed in a magical experience !

You bring up a good point, a good company lets their products speak for themselves.

DrAlice

Of course, what's absolutely hysterical now that I type that post above, is that we're left to debate all this crap after a vague TDA press release about "stunning lifestyle spaces" and "multi-cultural design elements". 🤣

Perhaps we should all just step quietly away from this smarmy and overwrought press release...

and focus instead on thawing turkeys (you have already started the thawing, haven't you?!?) and the tribal merits of marshmallows vs. candied pecans on the tops of our sweet potato casseroles? 🦃
And for the love of all that is holy, step away from the canned cranberries. My 10-year-old can make cranberry sauce without help. If you can boil water, you can make your own!

Ok, sorry.... Thanksgiving Triggered! 🤣

DrAlice

"Downtown Disney, an energetic avenue leading to the entrances of Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure, is a lively, colorful array of innovative restaurants, interesting shops and dynamic entertainment venues. With live entertainment, lush landscaping and innovative architecture, Downtown Disney is the ideal location for a shopping spree, a dining excursion or simply a stroll through a unique Disney environment."
🤣🤣🤣🤣 Ok, that's hilarious also.

I guess the difference is that with social media, this ridiculousness is now "in your face" more. I mean, who would've heard this garbage in 2005? We weren't all on social media then.

However, I still argue that "multicultural lifestyle space" (or whatever they said) doesn't mean a thing to the average person that will come across Disney's tweet. At least the 2005 version told you it was a mall.

celluloid

However, I still argue that "multicultural lifestyle space" (or whatever they said) doesn't mean a thing to the average person that will come across Disney's

The lines between World Showcase and outlet malls are blurring, and not for a positive reason to outlet space.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
🤣🤣🤣🤣 Ok, that's hilarious also.

I guess the difference is that with social media, this ridiculousness is now "in your face" more. I mean, who would've heard this garbage in 2005? We weren't all on social media then.

However, I still argue that "multicultural lifestyle space" (or whatever they said) doesn't mean a thing to the average person that will come across Disney's tweet. At least the 2005 version told you it was a mall.
That description was pulled directly from the DTD entry from the 2005 Disneyland website. So it wasn't even a press release, though I can bet they used it in one at one time, it was literally on their webpage.

You can find it yourself if you use the Wayback machine site.

Again we're in a different era, corporations spew out these word salads in ways to try and entice the consumer. The more adjectives they can use the more consumers end up being hooked in to use the product. I'll give one example, Apple, go back and look at any product release in the last 20 years where Jony Ive's (prior to him leaving Apple) describes the product and you'll see the same word salad used. Again this isn't unique to Disney, most of the corporate landscape has been doing it for decades now. Maybe I'm just used to it having been in corporate life since the late-90s.

Maybe the internet and technology has caused this to happen, as corporations have to compete for consumers attention.

DrAlice

The more adjectives they can use the more consumers end up being hooked in to use the product.
Does it though? I mean, I realize I'm not the typical consumer, but do people actually think "oooooo multicultural lifestyle space! I can't wait!!". I honestly can't imagine that this actually does anything. I get wanting to hype something and let your customer know that there is something new on the horizon to generate excitement. I'm not sure corporate buzzwords actually do that. Clearly those in charge of marketing think so, but have they actually tried NOT doing that? Wouldn't it be something if they were as spartan in their announcement as possible and saw the same result in guest anticipation? Like: "NEW DT Disney! 2022!" *insert concept art picture* *insert countdown clock*" Do they think that wouldn't also generate a ton of buzz? It would be a heck of lot less laughable.

Honestly, I don't care that much about any of this one way or another. I just find their blurbs hilarious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom