Am I the only who ignores Universal?

Jimmy Thick

No you're not the only one ignoring Universal, clearly Team Disney Orlando is looking right past them as well . o_O

Based on the majority of the people posting in this thread, its easy to see why, Universal is a number two, a clear cut number two and will never be nothing more than that as long as Disney is in Florida.

Lets put it this way. If Universal up and left Florida, Disney will keep chugging along at their current status quo. No problems.

If Disney left Florida, I give Universal Orlando six months before they are out of business. Universal needs Disney's presence to survive, not the other way around.

Jimmy Thick- That reminds me, I have to get toilet paper.

IAmFloridaBorn

Based on the majority of the people posting in this thread, its easy to see why, Universal is a number two, a clear cut number two and will never be nothing more than that as long as Disney is in Florida.

Lets put it this way. If Universal up and left Florida, Disney will keep chugging along at their current status quo. No problems.

If Disney left Florida, I give Universal Orlando six months before they are out of business. Universal needs Disney's presence to survive, not the other way around.

I'm no expert but I dont think a few dozen Disney fans on a Disney board accounts for the increased attendance at Universal ...

Jimmy Thick

As for food, Disney wins that battle hands down.

First off, Disney has Victoria and Alberts, which is one of the best places to eat not only in Orlando, but the world. If Michelin went to Orlando, V&A would get a star if not 3. When people put it in the same class as Alinea in Chicago, which is considered by some the best place to eat in the world, that's saying something. I can also see several restaurants on Disney property getting noticed for the quality of food and dishes created.

If there was a poll for the top ten restaurants in the Orlando theme park area, Disney would easily have 9 if not all ten spots.

Universal, *sigh*, well, they have Mytho's which is stellar, nowhere near what you can get at Disney World, buts its the best restaurant at UO bar none. Universal unfortunately does not cater to the fine dining crowd and it shows in their park offerings. Burgers, fires, chicken fingers, that's about the menu refinement needed for the people the park has been developed to serve. No one goes to Universal specifically to eat, where you can go to Disney World for such.

Jimmy Thick- Citywalk? You're kidding right?

draybook

I know last trip we peeled off 2 Disney days for Universal and our next trip very well could include a 3rd. Still waiting for Disney to show me a good reason to come back while at Universal they are popping up a couple times per year.

This year was the first time we went from 2 days at Universal to 3 days and I have no regrets about it. Even if we cancel our WDW bounce back for next year we are still going to Universal.

Disneyhead'71

First off, Disney has Victoria and Alberts, which is one of the best places to eat not only in Orlando, but the world. If Michelin went to Orlando, V&A would get a star if not 3. When people put it in the same class as Alinea in Chicago, which is considered by some the best place to eat in the world, that's saying something. I can also see several restaurants on Disney property getting noticed for the quality of food and dishes created.

If there was a poll for the top ten restaurants in the Orlando theme park area, Disney would easily have 9 if not all ten spots.

Universal, *sigh*, well, they have Mytho's which is stellar, nowhere near what you can get at Disney World, buts its the best restaurant at UO bar none. Universal unfortunately does not cater to the fine dining crowd and it shows in their park offerings. Burgers, fires, chicken fingers, that's about the menu refinement needed for the people the park has been developed to serve. No one goes to Universal specifically to eat, where you can go to Disney World for such.

While Mythos compares to most WDW in park table service restaurants to compare it to V$As is disingenuous at best. V&As is without a doubt better than anything offered at Universal. Universal has 4 restaurants that come in just under V$As in terms of quality. That would be like me comparing The Palm to dinner at Be Our Guest. The Palm blows away ANY in park table service at WDW.

While I know you're just trolling, I will reply. Universal's 4 Signature restaurants are all great fine dining experiences. The Palm is a far superior Steakhouse than Le Cellier or Yatchman's. Emeril's Orlando is on par with California Grill, Emeril's Tchoup Chop is far superior to anything at The Poly and WDW doesn't have an Italian restaurant even in the same ballpark as BiCE.
Sometimes your ignorance is quite amusing.

BryceM

Yes, because people's opinions on a WDW centric board universally (ha, get it?) describe the population as a whole. This site has a strong WDW bias, duh. It is called a WDWMagic for a reason. However, the Universal Orlando boards are actually pretty strong here.

luv

I've gone there just to eat. I really and truly love Pastamore and have said before that I wish I had one closer to my house because I don't want to have to drive over to Uni just to go there...but I've done it.

Chefs are generally far less pretentious about food than their customers. They will happily suggest going out for a burger and fries after a night of drinking. :) The pretentious stuff...that is for the customers. It brings in money. It's their job.

While Mythos compares to most WDW in park table service restaurants to compare it to V$As is disingenuous at best. V&As is without a doubt better than anything offered at Universal. Universal has 4 restaurants that come in just under V$As in terms of quality. That would be like me comparing The Palm to dinner at Be Our Guest. The Palm blows away ANY in park table service at WDW.

While I know you're just trolling, I will reply. Universal's 4 Signature restaurants are all great fine dining experiences. The Palm is a far superior Steakhouse than Le Cellier or Yatchman's. Emeril's Orlando is on par with California Grill, Emeril's Tchoup Chop is far superior to anything at The Poly and WDW doesn't have an Italian restaurant even in the same ballpark as BiCE.
Sometimes your ignorance is quite amusing.

These are all your opinions. In my opinion, California Grill is nowhere near the best Disney has to offer even though you keep offering it as a comparison. So even among the same resort, opinions differ, and to get upset at the user you're responding to for speaking so factually is redundant when you do the same.

This thread was originally about parks and only parks; not hotels or nighttime districts. So Citywalk, Pleasure Island, and all hotels aside, look at Universal's dining options versus Disney's. If you go to Universal specifically to eat, then that's great. I personally would not bother going to Universal without riding the rides there. Even with their dining packages, it encourages you to stick around and see their show.

At Disney, I will set foot in the park specifically to eat and leave. My in-laws love the Crystal Palace character dinner, but hate attractions and crowds. I can tell you that they wouldn't be very impressed with Mythos or Finnegan's. On Christmas day, we used to go to Epcot for Christmas dinner--somehow, I can't see myself walking into Confisco's wearing nice clothes and expecting a classy atmosphere suitable for Christmas (we've since changed our Christmas dinner location to the Ritz Carlton at Grande Lakes, so in our eyes Disney is just a step below that).

This argument is kind of silly, really. Opinions are opinions, but WDW easily trumps Universal in in-park dining, if not by quality, atmosphere and sophistication, then just in sheer numbers. Is Mythos great? Yes. Would I go there for a special occasion that isn't "day at IOA"? Definitely not.

Prince-1

These are all your opinions. In my opinion, California Grill is nowhere near the best Disney has to offer even though you keep offering it as a comparison. So even among the same resort, opinions differ, and to get upset at the user you're responding to for speaking so factually is redundant when you do the same.

This thread was originally about parks and only parks; not hotels or nighttime districts. So Citywalk, Pleasure Island, and all hotels aside, look at Universal's dining options versus Disney's. If you go to Universal specifically to eat, then that's great. I personally would not bother going to Universal without riding the rides there. Even with their dining packages, it encourages you to stick around and see their show.

At Disney, I will set foot in the park specifically to eat and leave. My in-laws love the Crystal Palace character dinner, but hate attractions and crowds. I can tell you that they wouldn't be very impressed with Mythos or Finnegan's. On Christmas day, we used to go to Epcot for Christmas dinner--somehow, I can't see myself walking into Confisco's wearing nice clothes and expecting a classy atmosphere suitable for Christmas (we've since changed our Christmas dinner location to the Ritz Carlton at Grande Lakes, so in our eyes Disney is just a step below that).

This argument is kind of silly, really. Opinions are opinions, but WDW easily trumps Universal in in-park dining, if not by quality, atmosphere and sophistication, then just in sheer numbers. Is Mythos great? Yes. Would I go there for a special occasion that isn't "day at IOA"? Definitely not.

You do understand that opinions can not be facts right??

IAmFloridaBorn

I was going to respond to your post but I reread it and came up with this: LOL :hilarious:

Last edited:

awoogala

I haven't had a "great" meal in Disney in years. 2009 we did have some "great" meals, that didn't seem like theme park food. This last year, I would have rather gone for a burger anywhere then most of the overpriced barely decent meals we received. I have not yet done Uni, but we are booked at Mythos, because I heard from multiple sources it was great.
Mind you, I've never done "signature" dining at Disney, because I have no desire to leave the parks and get fancy, it would take away park time. But I've eaten all over the parks, and very rarely have I ever been "impressed" with the food there. Most of it seems to be below average, including the burgers!
As a kid, growing up, I used to dream about Disney burgers! they used to be wonderful! The 70's and 80's - for some reason, had excellent burgers.
Now, we've done character meals, all the EPCOT restaurants, etc. Not that impressed so far.

You do understand that opinions can not be facts right??

You misunderstood. The point is no one can sit here saying The Palm is better of California Grill is better, because those are subjective opinions. There is no rule book saying what makes one restaurant better than the other. So to compare Universal restaurants to Disney restaurants won't get anyone anywhere. That's what I was saying...arguing opinions is pointless because they aren't facts.

However, the whole point of my post was to point out some of the differences in implementation between dining venues in the two resorts.

Disneyhead'71

My point is there is great fine dining available at UOR. Mythos and Lombard's Landing are the more high end dining in the parks and Confisco's and Finnagan's are more relaxed. But at UOR, just like at WDW the better, true fine dining restaurants are at the hotels. The big difference is at UOR, they enforce the dress code and they haven't been dumbed down by the dining plan. Only V$As hasn't been hurt by the dining plan. Unfortunately, I can't take my family to V$As since I have a 13 year old daughter.

And just so you know, in the Orlando Metro Area, V$As isn't the highest rated restaurant. the Venetian Room at The Royal Caribe Resort is.

http://www.thevenetianroom.com/?q=theexperienceold&device=desktop

Bairstow

I'm a fan of Universal but I've never been that impressed with their food.
Mythos is great, but mostly because it's a good value and has an awesome building.
Lombards' is an overpriced Captain D's with waffle fries.
Everything else I've tried or seen at either of their parks was unimpressive and overpriced.

IAmFloridaBorn

My point is there is great fine dining available at UOR. Mythos and Lombard's Landing are the more high end dining in the parks and Confisco's and Finnagan's are more relaxed. But at UOR, just like at WDW the better, true fine dining restaurants are at the hotels. The big difference is at UOR, they enforce the dress code and they haven't been dumbed down by the dining plan. Only V$As hasn't been hurt by the dining plan. Unfortunately, I can't take my family to V$As since I have a 13 year old daughter.

And just so you know, in the Orlando Metro Area, V$As isn't the highest rated restaurant. the Venetian Room at The Royal Caribe Resort is.

http://www.thevenetianroom.com/?q=theexperienceold&device=desktop
It's not worth the trouble DH. Most of us get it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom