Am I the only who ignores Universal?

disney4life2008

It is hard to compare WDW to Universal. Lets just say - I would never go to Orlando just to visit Universal (I would have to visit WDW) but I have been to WDW many times and never visit Universal. I would say you are not alone - to some extents - going to Universal is like going to Six Flags. I really only go if I need my thrill ride experience.

Disneyhead'71

It's not worth the trouble DH. Most of us get it.
I don't think most do. I grew up going to WDW and I can find most of WDW offers at UOR. I believe that most WDW fans visit UOR for a day or two and truly don't experience the whole UOR experience. They cab/shuttle in at 9a. And leave when the parks close. Most WDW fans don't stay on property. They don't know that UOR has fine dining, fantastic resort hotels (superior to most WDW hotels), and the whole package similar to WDW. Yes, it's not WDW. But I feel it is a comparable product. Actually more like what is offered at DLR. But still a world class theme park destination. Yes, there are areas that are loud and brash, yes there is visible coaster track. But it is as far from Six Flags as WDW is. It is just different. They have great themeing, great resort hotels, great attractions, and comparable resort amenities like golfing.

I do have one question, will the concierge at Pop Century get you Universal Admission Media with transportation?

tribbleorlfl

As to the original poster's question, since the average (and probably most common) visitor to Central Florida has finite time and funds to use on their vacations, it's understandable why so many spend most of their time on Disney property (a known commodity).

Plus, what UO's selling might not appeal to everyone. In general, I find the vibe to be edgier, more irreverant; I would argue the thrill-ride to flat and dark ride ratio is higher than Disney's, and the content of the rides seem darker and more aggressive to me.

With all that being said, I don't think it's fair to completely discount Universal as a vacation destination until you've experienced it. They've really stepped up their game in recent years, and the rides, IP's and tone might speak to you (or at least give you a break from the nonstop fairy dust).

Regarding the off-topic Disney/UO dining feud, I preface what I'm going to say with the fact I have a culinary degree, was a 7-year UO Foods TM (most of that at the vaunted Mythos) and know many people still in UO and WDW kitchens.

Uni is bringing in more pre-made and processed product from outside while Disney is using more Fresh items and trusting their cooks to prepare more on-site. Uni's dumbed down many of their menus (Mythos is but a shadow of its former self) while Disney's bringing out healthier and more non-traditional options. Whether you think all of that yields better/worse food than the other, that's up to you. I personally think Disney's improved their food offerings in recent years while Uni's has gone the opposite direction, however.

luv

As to the original poster's question, since the average (and probably most common) visitor to Central Florida has finite time and funds to use on their vacations, it's understandable why so many spend most of their time on Disney property (a known commodity).

Plus, what UO's selling might not appeal to everyone. In general, I find the vibe to be edgier, more irreverant; I would argue the thrill-ride to flat and dark ride ratio is higher than Disney's, and the content of the rides seem darker and more aggressive to me.

With all that being said, I don't think it's fair to completely discount Universal as a vacation destination until you've experienced it. They've really stepped up their game in recent years, and the rides, IP's and tone might speak to you (or at least give you a break from the nonstop fairy dust).

Regarding the off-topic Disney/UO dining feud, I preface what I'm going to say with the fact I have a culinary degree, was a 7-year UO Foods TM (most of that at the vaunted Mythos) and know many people still in UO and WDW kitchens.

Uni is bringing in more pre-made and processed product from outside while Disney is using more Fresh items and trusting their cooks to prepare more on-site. Uni's dumbed down many of their menus (Mythos is but a shadow of its former self) while Disney's bringing out healthier and more non-traditional options. Whether you think all of that yields better/worse food than the other, that's up to you. I personally think Disney's improved their food offerings in recent years while Uni's has gone the opposite direction, however.
I watched the Sysco truck roll by as I was stopped at a light in WDW the other day.

I wish that if Sysco is still selling this stuff tht either Disney or Uni would order 1) that chicken with the apple stuff inside of it and 2) that white raspberry cake. OMG, best cake SYSCO ever delivered. When I was dating the chef, I made him bring that darn cake home a lot AND the raspberry "coulee" (spelling? Is it French? Coulis?) to drizzle under and (at home) over it. YUM!

If you still have friends there, please (!) ask them to get that cake in!!!

draybook

It is hard to compare WDW to Universal. Lets just say - I would never go to Orlando just to visit Universal (I would have to visit WDW) but I have been to WDW many times and never visit Universal. I would say you are not alone - to some extents - going to Universal is like going to Six Flags. I really only go if I need my thrill ride experience.

I've been to Six Flags St Louis and Six Flags Magic Mountain and I can only offer this quick comment on your comparison of them......har har har.

I suggest you read the whole thread before you make the disproven statement that Universal is only for thrill junkies.

Jwhee

Ok, after reading through this thread I want to make it clear that universal isn't just for thrill junkies. I'm starting with USF and ill do IOA soon. The bold ride names are thrill rides, the non-bold are friendly attractions:

DM: Minion Mayhen
Shrek 4D
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit
Twister: Ride it Out
Revenge of The Mummy
Transformers: The Ride 3D

Disaster!
Men in Black Alien Attack
The Simpsons Ride
Kudos and Kang
Woody Wood Peckers Nuthouse coaster
E.T. Adventure
Terminator 2: 3D
Fear Factor Live
Beetle Guice
Animal Actors
Barney
Lucy: A Tribute
Blues Brothers

4 out of 20 of the attractions are thrill rides. 1/5 of the rides at USF are thrill.

IAmFloridaBorn

Ok, after reading through this thread I want to make it clear that universal isn't just for thrill junkies. I'm starting with USF and ill do IOA soon. The bold ride names are thrill rides, the non-bold are friendly attractions:

Shrek 4D
Revenge of The Mummy

Disaster!
The Simpsons Ride
Kudos and Kang
E.T. Adventure
Fear Factor Live
Beetle Guice
Animal Actors
Barney
Blues Brothers

4 out of 20 of the attractions are thrill rides. 1/5 of the rides at USF are thrill.
I'd add Curious George, and Horror Make Up Show. Not to mention the parade and night show.

Shrek 4D
Revenge of The Mummy

Disaster!
The Simpsons Ride
Kudos and Kang
E.T. Adventure
Fear Factor Live
Beetle Guice
Animal Actors
Barney
Blues Brothers

Besides not having drastic movement, Twister, Terminator 2, Beetlejuice, and Hollywood Makeup Show are not family-friendly attractions. They all feature disclaimers at the entrance saying Parental Discretion is Advised. Twister and T2 are loud and kind of intense. Even though it lacks the Parental Discretion disclaimer, I'd argue against Disaster being family-friendly as well, since there are some intense effects that kids could be weary of.

Out of what's left, Men in Black, Woody Woodpecker, and ET have height requirements (unlike DM, they can't be avoided). That further limits their appeal to families. Now your list is nothing but shows and Kodos & Kang. Soon Hogwarts Express will probably count as a family-friendly attraction (barring its scare-level) as well as Ollivander's but that's still not exactly a full day of family fun (unless your family's youngest members are above a certain height and/or un-phased by loud/violent effects and crude humor). I love Universal, but even I have to admit that they aren't exactly stellar in the family ride department. Hopefully the addition of K&K is a step in the right direction and a sign of sure things to come.

Magenta Panther

I haven't had a "great" meal in Disney in years. 2009 we did have some "great" meals, that didn't seem like theme park food. This last year, I would have rather gone for a burger anywhere then most of the overpriced barely decent meals we received. I have not yet done Uni, but we are booked at Mythos, because I heard from multiple sources it was great.
Mind you, I've never done "signature" dining at Disney, because I have no desire to leave the parks and get fancy, it would take away park time. But I've eaten all over the parks, and very rarely have I ever been "impressed" with the food there. Most of it seems to be below average, including the burgers!
As a kid, growing up, I used to dream about Disney burgers! they used to be wonderful! The 70's and 80's - for some reason, had excellent burgers.
Now, we've done character meals, all the EPCOT restaurants, etc. Not that impressed so far.

Have you dined at the Brown Derby? It's IN a park - DHS - and it's great, especially for adults.

I agree with you for the most part about Disney's burgers - they're all pretty awful. EXCEPT at the Plaza Restaurant on Main Street. The burgers there are superb. Give it a try.

googilycub

Says the person who hasn't given multiple, substantial similarities between a Six Flags and Universal. Still waiting for those comparisons, by the way.

One thing that I find similar about Six Flags and Universal is the use of the parks as a baby sitter by the locals. Unsupervised teens seem to be more common running around Universal than at WDW. Sometimes the lack of adult supervision at Universal reminds me of a summer day at Great America. That being said, I also notice the same thing at DL vs WDW too.

awoogala

Have you dined at the Brown Derby? It's IN a park - DHS - and it's great, especially for adults.

I agree with you for the most part about Disney's burgers - they're all pretty awful. EXCEPT at the Plaza Restaurant on Main Street. The burgers there are superb. Give it a try.
That one we have almost eaten at..lol But Plaza is a small space, and the claustrophobia... but if I can squeeze it in, I'll try next trip.
Brown Derby we have not tried. I've seen a lot of terrible reviews over the years, so we avoided it. I've seen it's gotten better, and that now they have a qs lounge. We don't tend to spend an entire day in HS, so we've usually had one qs and done there.
Spending most of our time in EPCOT and MK, the food has not been impressive since about 2009.

Californian Elitist

One thing that I find similar about Six Flags and Universal is the use of the parks as a baby sitter by the locals. Unsupervised teens seem to be more common running around Universal than at WDW. Sometimes the lack of adult supervision at Universal reminds me of a summer day at Great America. That being said, I also notice the same thing at DL vs WDW too.

Right. The same thing happens at Disney, a whole lot at Disneyland.

Goofyernmost

Besides not having drastic movement, Twister, Terminator 2, Beetlejuice, and Hollywood Makeup Show are not family-friendly attractions. They all feature disclaimers at the entrance saying Parental Discretion is Advised. Twister and T2 are loud and kind of intense. Even though it lacks the Parental Discretion disclaimer, I'd argue against Disaster being family-friendly as well, since there are some intense effects that kids could be weary of.

Out of what's left, Men in Black, Woody Woodpecker, and ET have height requirements (unlike DM, they can't be avoided). That further limits their appeal to families. Now your list is nothing but shows and Kodos & Kang. Soon Hogwarts Express will probably count as a family-friendly attraction (barring its scare-level) as well as Ollivander's but that's still not exactly a full day of family fun (unless your family's youngest members are above a certain height and/or un-phased by loud/violent effects and crude humor). I love Universal, but even I have to admit that they aren't exactly stellar in the family ride department. Hopefully the addition of K&K is a step in the right direction and a sign of sure things to come.
Would you say that Catastrophe Canyon is not Family friendly then. The effects at CC are almost exactly the same as the effects at Disaster. Give kids a little credit. If they are told it's just make-believe that will be fine with most everything. Hollywood Makeup Show? Really? Beetlejuice is just music basically. I see no reason why that would be a problem. Then add in Shrek and Dispicable Me plus Simpson and I think you have a pretty family friendly environment. I never noticed a height requirement for ET, but I'd think it would be fairly easy to reach.
I don't for a minute think that Men in Black is a family ride. Tall or not! That aside, there is a pretty good sized selection at IOA as well.

Disneyhead'71

Pot, meet kettle.
I don't troll. I call it like I see it (which I don't believe Jimmy Thick does. He is intentionally trolling). And if Pixie Dusters don't like it, so be it. But to say that there is no fine dining at UOR is either trolling or ignorant. I defy you to find a better Disney Steakhouse than The Palm. Because there is not one. Period.

Disneyhead'71

Would you say that Catastrophe Canyon is not Family friendly then. The effects at CC are almost exactly the same as the effects at Disaster. Give kids a little credit. If they are told it's just make-believe that will be fine with most everything. Hollywood Makeup Show? Really? Beetlejuice is just music basically. I see no reason why that would be a problem. Then add in Shrek and Dispicable Me plus Simpson and I think you have a pretty family friendly environment. I never noticed a height requirement for ET, but I'd think it would be fairly easy to reach.
I don't for a minute think that Men in Black is a family ride. Tall or not! That aside, there is a pretty good sized selection at IOA as well.
You have to understand that rides that actually move are (by Disney fans definition) thrill rides. Park benches are for more suited to the Disney Demo than the thrill rides known as moving walkways at Universal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom