Am I Crazy For Driving?

Crazy4Mickey

Original Poster
My husband and I are going to WDW in November. We are debating about the idea of flying due to the condition of our nation right now. I know we have a lot of time to decide, but would like your input. I have always flown and am hesitant on driving because it takes so long, and, who knows what the weather will be like. However, I have never driven through different states like this and think it would be interesting to do so. The route on mapquest is 70 more miles than the route on WDW website, however, the WDW website is not explicit on which direction you take the highways. HELP! Also, has anyone driven to WDW in one day? We are coming from Chicago.
Thanks for all your help!! :veryconfu :veryconfu

Yellow Shoes

Honestly, I think the risk of dying on your way to WDW is higher driving than flying.

I would rather take my risks on whatever there may be in the air that what might happen while driving.

First off, the weather in November could be anything, including really nasty and hazardous.

If you are thinking about doing Chicago-Orlando non-stop, there is a huge fatigue factor to consider. Fatigue is the biggest cause of accidents. And it's not just your fatigue--it's the other driver's.

My vote is for flying

I drove frrom Memphis in October it wasn't too bad but took me 16 hours from here I was drivign solo and thinks it would have been much easier to drive with a partner.... I probably would have enjoyed the scenery if most of the driving hadn't been at night :lol: all-in-all it was not a bad drive. Hope this helps ya in some little way.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Fly / Drive ?

If you have the budget to fly, then do it. At the end of the day, the news headlines only report incidents in which an aircraft crashes - They do not report the tens of thousands which land safely every day all around the world.
There is a lot of uncertainity in the world today - war/USA/UK and the Middle East is a topic high on everyones list AND a lot can happen between now and November.
We're flying to WDW in April and praying that should military action commence that the governments of the US and UK don't decide that it is too dangerous for Trans Atlantic passenger flights and decide to cancel them.:(

Erika

I am also in Chicago :wave:

The furthest I have driven is Myrtle Beach, SC. We did go through some interesting places and it was pretty cool. But I wouldn't want to do it again. That's a LOT Of time in the car.

I know a couple of families who drive to FL and they always allow 2 days each way. That's 4 days' vacation time- I would rather spend that in the parks than squished into my car. I also agree that flying is much safer than driving. But you have to do what you are comfortable with.

Katherine

Almost every time we go to Florida we drive from OHio, which means 20 hours in the car. My mom does not like to fly and with Sept. 11 it did not make her more comfortable. How many are you traveling with? If it's with kids you shoudl definantly invest in a tv for movies. We just got our new van with one and wow what a differece it makes. Just have plenty of snacks and drinks and extra cash. I prefer flying but this way can be just as fun.

Debbie

We have traditionally driven from New Orleans, which is 650 miles from our home to WDW. That's 10+ hours and we usually drive at night for the sake of sanity and kids. Now that we are self-employed; time is crucial. 10 hours vs. 1hour and 15 minutes? The only downfall about flying is renting a car to go to Walmart, Disney character warehouse, and whatnot. I am going to look into rates for one day when we go in Dec. That's the only thing I would miss.
You have to do what you are comfortable with. As one poster said earlier; you only hear of one crash, not the thousands that land safely everyday.

wdwrules

were from green bay and have driven many times-about 6-to disney. we drove straight through 2 times, it takes about 20hrs from here. its a long drive but we like to see the changes along the way. We always go during winter so its cool to experience the changes in climate and scenery along the way. the only time we ever experienced bad weather was we hit an ice storm in indianapolis and sleet on the mountains in tennessee. both only lasted for a short time though and didnt slow us down very much, just check the weather ahead of time if you can and plan accorddingly. me and my wife have very flexible jobs though so taking the extra time to drive isnt a problem. i think well always drive though unless one of us gets a different job that doesnt allow us to take the extra time.

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

jaimjaim25

I've been to Disney World about 9 times.. We drove all but twice. I am terrified of flying.. even before 9/11 and the recent plance crashes. I live in NJ, and it takes about 15 hours to get there. I'm going May 21st and driving straight through this time!:brick:

But as Clark Griswold would say 'Driving there is half the fun!'

Superman

I would never want to drive.. 20 hours in the car as opposed to 2 hrs on a plane!! its pretty easy to choose which one is more convenient

#1MMFan

We drive EVERY time. Have 3 kids (13, 11, 9).

Last year we went down 5 TIMES for a total of 9 (NINE) weeks.

The most amazing part is we live in PENNSYLVANIA (Kennett Square - outside of Philadelphia). 1000 MILES.

We leave at 4:00 AM and arrive at WDW by 7:00PM.

I have to say we have a HIGH-TOP conversion with 12" TV, VCR, XBOX, DVD player and 12 disc CD changer.

And each of my kids has a laptop computer with 3000 mp3 songs to listen to.

Going back down in April for Spring break, 1 week in June and FINALLY doing the Disney Cruise (7 day Western).

The way I look at it we save $1000 over flying and then we save $500 since we dont have to rent a car for 2 weeks. I use that money to buy ANNUAL WDW tixs!

mandib

My dad drove back from Orlando the day after 9/11 and he left like at 5 and got back here at like 10 or 11. It's not a horrible trip I guess but I don't know if it was my choice I'd fly. Oh if you haven't figured it out I'm in the burbs outside of Chicago! :)

jaimjaim25

oh my god.. we get it.. you always will fly, and other people just won't. you dont have to shove it in peoples faces that you are a flyer.. some people just dont like to fly

mstarfishee

Crazy4Mickey,

You aren't nuts in thinking about driving...(although Superman may think so) it's really not that bad. We drove down in November 2000 from Connecticut, the only bad part was that we drove straight through on the way down. We are going again this November and we are probably going to drive again, BUT we will stop after 15 hours or so. For us it was a 21 hour drive since we hit traffic about 20 miles outside of WDW, fortunately that was the ONLY traffic we ever experienced between home & WDW. The nice thing about driving in November is that unlike April or summertime and many other peak season times the rest of the U.S. isn't trying to get there at the exact same time that you are. It's really nice driving, just make sure you have plenty to entertain the kids if you have any, and as previously mentioned food & drinks. Whatever choice you make, you'll still have the same end result........a great time at THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH.......that much is a given. Good luck & happy planning to you. :wave:

Superman

I am sorry if i had offended others w/ my adamant claims that driving is worse off than flying.. I guess i just wouldnt want to spend 20 hrs or so in my car (I drive a camaro) so it would get a little uncomfy.. sorry jaim if i offended :(

jaimjaim25

Originally posted by Superman
I am sorry if i had offended others w/ my adamant claims that driving is worse off than flying.. I guess i just wouldnt want to spend 20 hrs or so in my car (I drive a camaro) so it would get a little uncomfy.. sorry jaim if i offended :(

no i understand.. i used to have a camaro too! but now i have a jeep grand cherokee so its real comfy. Im not saying it wont be hell driving, cause it will... I just don;t like flying.. I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack every time I fly... And i've been to europe 4 times! :lookaroun scared to death

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom