Am I Crazy For Driving?

bailey5697

We contimplated driving as well, we are in NY. When it came right down to it, it seemed like time was being wated in the car that could be at Disney.

Jamie77

On the positive side, driving to Disney gives you more anticipation time. If you can get to Orlando in 2 hours, you start your vacation sooner so you worry about leaving sooner. For those who have to drive 20 hrs, say you and someone in another state leave for Disney. They hop on a plane and get there in 2 hours - they are already enjoying Disney. You have 18 more hours to go. Half the fun of going to Disney is the anticipation so you have something to keep looking forward to. The other person doesn't. They've already begun worrying about how many days they have left.

Another way to get to Disney is to take the train. Maybe people who are afraid of plane rides can do this. I'm leaving from Charleston to Orlando July 2004 by train. I don't like to drive for longer than 1 hour and I've never been on a plane before. I have thought about it but I'd save more money going by train even though it will probably take me about 45 minutes by plane to get there as opposed to 8 hours by train. But I've counted my train ride as part of my vacation because that will be my first time on a train. My vacation will start off as an adventure! Have I thought about a possible derailing? Sure! But then again I worry too much. Since I have to crawl before I walk up to the big task of taking a plane I'm going to give it a try. Besides, I think I stand a better chance in a tuck and roll than being shot out of the sky due to a terrorist attack (I doubt things will go that far as long as the awareness is there, but then I said I was a worrier, didn't I? :lol:

Jamie

Coree

We've made the trip from Champaign, IL (about 2 hours closer to Disney World that Chicago) about seven times in the last five years and have driven every time. When we have gone with a big group of friends in several different cars we have driven straight through and traded off on the driving responsibility. It's a long trip and straight through is not pleasant in my opinion. When just my husband and I drive we usually drive as far as Atlanta, stop for the night and finish the trip the next day. That is a much more pleasant trip and I actually enjoy the drive. It's not that bad if you have games or movies to keep yourself occupied. We usually listen to Disney CDs to get in the mood and play other games like "I'm going to Disney World and I'm taking . . ." to pass the time. Ultimately, though it comes down to what you're comfortable with. If you're used to flying for long trips, it will probably be a tough trip for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom