Am I crazy? Daddy/Daughter Trip

BigRedDad

Well, my little girl starts kindergarten next week (year round schedule: on 9 weeks off 3 weeks). Her first 3 weeks off is the second half of September and leading into October. I will be finishing and earning my MBA on Sept 11 (poor planning on the college I think). As a result, I have a choice to send my daughter to track-out camp or take her to WDW. The other week of track-out she will stay with my mother instead of camp. Unfortunately, DW cannot go because of the start of her school year and lack of vacation.

I do not think I have any issue taking my DD5 to WDW on my own. It will be 6-days/6-nights (arrive early Sunday, leave early Saturday. My question is whether any other parents have taken a young child that basically cannot be left alone by themselves or am I crazy thinking I can do this on my own?

NewfieFan

Well, being a stay-at-home mom (with a husband that works all time) I spend almost every waking minute with my children... while I've never taken them to WDW by myself I have taken them plenty of places by myself and lived to tell the tale.

I personally think this would be an excellent opportunity to spend some quality time with your daughter.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

No- not crazy!!! I TOTALLY think you should do it!

While I haven't done WDW as just me and my kids- I was contemplating it for this summer before I got DH on board. Either way, I've traveled with my kids on my own quite a bit...even when the girls were infants. While I had some concerns about juggling things with both of my kids if it was just me taking them to WDW...if it were just me and DD4 (who will be 5 in Aug), I'd have no second thoughts about it.

Upvote 0

twodisneyfans

Misc

My father and I took a trip when I was around 8 years old....I still have wonderful memories of that trip even though I don't have my father anymore...do it, she will treasure it for a lifetime~

Upvote 0

smk

GO! Being a dad at WDW is no different than being a dad at home...just a lot more fun! Throw the "rules" out the door for a dinner date, have dessert first, dance and be silly with her. I promise time spent with her now will pay off in the long run because all little girls look up to their dads, no matter how old they get.

****Caution**** IF you don't know how to fix her hair, braids, pig tails, bows etc...learn it now. She will appreciate it as will your wife!

Upvote 0

Trishnh

I have taken each of my 4 kids on a special 'one-on-one' trip and they were great. I am not sure where the concern about not being able to leave your daughter alone comes from..I guess taking her by yourself just means she will always be with you and you wont have any alone time? AS much as I love our family vacations to WDW, the one on one trips are very special. I say go and have a great time!

Upvote 0

LilSuzy

I have gone with 1 and 2 kids by myself....it's actually alot of fun! You will have a GREAT time just you and your daughter....the memories will stay with her. My daughter tells me things she remembers from our trip ALL the time, it's the BEST feeling. :)

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Original Poster
Thx for all the comments. Those were my thoughts as well. As for leaving her alone, it is more of not having a break at all for a week. Not that it is an issue, it is just something in my mind. I have plans for that by letting her run in the playgrounds at the parks, play in the pool with other kids while I sit back and relax for a little bit.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Original Poster
Well, I booked flights. I need to book a package later this week. I had two free flights with SW. We will be going Sept. 18 - Sept 24th. We'll be taking advantage of the free dining offer and staying at a Value resort.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Thx for all the comments. Those were my thoughts as well. As for leaving her alone, it is more of not having a break at all for a week. Not that it is an issue, it is just something in my mind. I have plans for that by letting her run in the playgrounds at the parks, play in the pool with other kids while I sit back and relax for a little bit.

If you really want a few minutes to yourself and the budget allows it why don't you put her in one of the kids clubs for a couple of hours. My husband and I used Simba's Club for the first time on our last trip so we could sneak away and have an anniversary dinner by ourselves. The kids were very content and my daughter even cried when we showed up to pick them up b/c it was right at snack time. :lol:

Then you could hang at a hotel bar for a little while, try a solo dinner, or just swim and relax, etc. Whatever floats your boat!

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

I took my my granddaughter age 6 for a single day and had no problem and in fact we're taking our first "just the two of us trip" aug 14-18th. based on the single day it didn't feel like anything different in terms of watching her than it would going anywhere else. i will say i am use to having her with me so it's not like i'm not use to taking care of her etc... i know her quirks. my son is a single custodial parent and when he goes to places like wdw with her alone he has no problems with it being the two of them but says the biggest thing he has to do was plan how to do bathroom breaks to avoid getting separated.

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

don't forget there are some kids club aka babysitting type services that keeps them busy and would give you a break if needed. like the poly has the neverland club.

Upvote 0

dreamlady85

I loved my daddy/daughter trips when I was little. My only piece of advice: plan ahead how you are going to handle potty breaks. The only time I got "lost" during any of our trips was when we separated to use the facilities (I was 4 or 5 at the time). It is very easy for a little girl to get swept up in the crowds going in or out of a restroom and having her wait alone for you could be potentially problematic. Other than that, have a wonderful time! Neither you nor she will ever forget it!

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Original Poster
I loved my daddy/daughter trips when I was little. My only piece of advice: plan ahead how you are going to handle potty breaks. The only time I got "lost" during any of our trips was when we separated to use the facilities (I was 4 or 5 at the time).

Thanks for that. I will only be using the family restrooms. I will not let her out of my sight except when she runs off into one of the play areas and I sit before the exit so she cannot pass me.

Upvote 0

WDW 3

Bathroom trips were the only concern my DH had. Too old to take her with him and too worried about losing sight of her. I'm glad you booked your trip and I'll bet that you won't feel the need for alone time once the fun begins.:)

Upvote 0

sittle

Well, my little girl starts kindergarten next week (year round schedule: on 9 weeks off 3 weeks). Her first 3 weeks off is the second half of September and leading into October. I will be finishing and earning my MBA on Sept 11 (poor planning on the college I think). As a result, I have a choice to send my daughter to track-out camp or take her to WDW. The other week of track-out she will stay with my mother instead of camp. Unfortunately, DW cannot go because of the start of her school year and lack of vacation.

I do not think I have any issue taking my DD5 to WDW on my own. It will be 6-days/6-nights (arrive early Sunday, leave early Saturday. My question is whether any other parents have taken a young child that basically cannot be left alone by themselves or am I crazy thinking I can do this on my own?

The only thing crazy is thinking that you can't do this on your own...

Someone else had a great point, think of the memories of this trip!... I would have been over the moon if one of my parents to me to DisneyWorld, just the two of us... That would've been fun!

You'll get some downtime in... I'm sure after a morning of MK and a dip in the pool, your daughter will be ready for a big nap!

Upvote 0

foreverbelle

I know I wasn't a kid, but my dad took both my sister and I when we were just entering that pre-teen stage/teen stages. To this day it is one of the best memories I have ever had with him...Take her, enjoy the time and cherish it....I am so glad to see that you booked!

Upvote 0

WDWLOYAL1971

No you're not crazy. It's a wonderful thing you're doing. Just be sure not to let her out of your sight not even for a moment and plan safely for potty breaks. I'm sure she will forever cherish the memories you are about to make together. Take lots of pictures. Have a fun safe trip. :wave:

Upvote 0

faw286570

I completed the WDW Half Marathon in January. The trip was planned to be a single person trip for me to run, because of timing. At the last minute - it becomes a dad/daughter trip - but my wife still could not go due to the timing.

My daughter is in middle school so it is much easier to get around WDW now than when she was 5. We had a great time! The parks were not crowded so we could take a leisurely pace.

Anyway - I never got to do anything like this with my father while he was alive. I am thankful that my daughter and I had this opportunity. We both wished mom was there but I can say that as a father it is something I will always cherish. I know she does too.

I hope you enjoy the trip. Remember to get pictures. Not to advertise but - you are making memories.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom