Am I being bratty?

Figment632

My GF and I are arguing over our trip that we are planning for New Years. I'm a CM and get 50% off on hotel rooms. I wanted to stay at the Wilderness lodge because the price after my discount is not bad.

I already gave in and said I'd go moderate and stay at River Side, but now my GF wants to go value and go AllStar. I personally don't like the value resorts mostly the atmosphere and because of the outside corridors.

The way I look at it with the discount we can easily afford moderate and it is easier to swallow the deluxe price. My GF says it's silly and we should try and save more money and not spend more because we get a discount.

Am I being silly and bratty or do I have a good case?

durangojim

Thanks for all your advice guys, the verdict is in and here is the compromise.

We were supposed to fly out onthe 28th of December and land around 6PM. Not getting to the resort till like 8 PM is a waste of a day so we are going to fly in early on the 29th.

Thats one less night in a hotel so she agreed to a moderate, I wanted to stay atFrench Quarter but it's 75 dollars cheaper at riverside so we are staying there.

One other thing to consider is if you're going to EPCOT or DHS on NYE you might want to get a room at one of the EPCOT resorts for that night only, we did that and after spending the day and ringing in the New Year at Epcot, it was awesome to be able to walk out of the park at 1am and walk right to our hotel room at the BC instead of waiting for a bus. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

marcriss

I could be wrong, but my guess is that the noise level on New Year's will decrease as the cost of the hotel goes up. My experience at the All-Stars, a long time ago, was very loud on a night in September. I would imagine that New Year's is a totally different thing everywhere, but the deluxes are possibly a little quieter because of those indoor hallways. Just a thought...

When we had the 50% cast discount we split our time between the WL and the YC. Staying those places gets much harder without the discount. We pray to the pincode gods every year :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

DecWDW

I would take advantage of the CM discount while I could. You probably won't be a CM forever right? Worry about penny pinching if you're married and trying to buy a house or something. I'd stay at the WL and pay the difference of her share. That way, you can have what you want, she doesn't go outside of her budget, and then, she'll see how great it was and be happy you stayed there.

Upvote 0

goofykt

In situations like this, I say "pick your battles".

If you're going to be in your hotel room or resort area a lot during your vacation, and being in a moderate is really important to your vacation mental health (i.e. you won't be able to truly relax and get into vacation mode otherwise), then you should stick to your guns and point out that you have already compromised by moving from deluxe to moderate and she should be willing to meet you halfway.

But if you're going to be spending most of your time in the parks, let it go. The value resorts aren't posh, but they're a nice, clean place to rest your head at night. My husband and I usually stay in a Value every-other trip to save money so we can do extra things (more souvenirs, fly instead of drive, Cirque du Soleil tickets, it goes on and on...)

If it really means that much to her, and you only want to stay at the Mods for superficial reasons, then I say go with the Value and keep the peace ;)

Upvote 0

WDWmazprty

In situations like this, I say "pick your battles".

If you're going to be in your hotel room or resort area a lot during your vacation, and being in a moderate is really important to your vacation mental health (i.e. you won't be able to truly relax and get into vacation mode otherwise), then you should stick to your guns and point out that you have already compromised by moving from deluxe to moderate and she should be willing to meet you halfway.

But if you're going to be spending most of your time in the parks, let it go. The value resorts aren't posh, but they're a nice, clean place to rest your head at night. My husband and I usually stay in a Value every-other trip to save money so we can do extra things (more souvenirs, fly instead of drive, Cirque du Soleil tickets, it goes on and on...)

If it really means that much to her, and you only want to stay at the Mods for superficial reasons, then I say go with the Value and keep the peace ;)

Agreed! A value resort is perfectly fine if you're concentrating on being at the parks. You'll be in the room to sleep-thats it. Why spend the extra money when you won't even be there.

Conversely, if you're vacation is to go to the parks, but maybe not spend all day there ,relax in the hotel, chill, etc. etc. then yeah, spring for the moderate or whatever.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

Not sure if this has been said or not but why not split it between a value and a deluxe? Stay at a value first and then stay at a deluxe.

Just an idea. :)

Upvote 0

harveyt0206

I think your compromise makes sense as long as your girlfriend is truly on board with the plan. Without knowing her reasons for wanting to save money (is she worried about her job or has she recently lost her job, etc....) it's hard to really give equal consideration to both sides of the argument.

I am with you on the Deluxe resorts and it has nothing to do with being a "snob". It 100% has to do with what I enjoy doing on my vacations and what has value to me while I am on vacation. I certainly would consider a value resort and would be grateful to stay there if that is what hubby and I decided to do. But, we typically go on fewer trips and save up our money so that we can upgrade to a deluxe. That's just our personal choice.

Best of luck with your compromise and as someone else already noted, money is unfortunately the cause of most relationship problems so try to keep the big picture in mind and have a great time.

Upvote 0

SMRT-1Michael

My GF and I are arguing over our trip that we are planning for New Years. I'm a CM and get 50% off on hotel rooms. I wanted to stay at the Wilderness lodge because the price after my discount is not bad.

I already gave in and said I'd go moderate and stay at River Side, but now my GF wants to go value and go AllStar. I personally don't like the value resorts mostly the atmosphere and because of the outside corridors.

The way I look at it with the discount we can easily afford moderate and it is easier to swallow the deluxe price. My GF says it's silly and we should try and save more money and not spend more because we get a discount.

Am I being silly and bratty or do I have a good case?

I couldnt agree more......when I walk out of my room, I prefer being in an inside hallway. Thats one of the main reasons I dont prefer Allstar pr Pop. Plus Im a DVC member so i dont stay there anyway

Dont worry, youre not being bratty. Im on your side.

Upvote 0
DH and I decided several years ago to go back to Value resorts while at Disney. I am the Disney freak in our house, DH likes it but could easily go else where for vacation.. That being said, it's not fair of me to blow all our vacation money on the yearly trip to Disney( and we almost always bring someone else with us besides DS12!!:ROFLOL:) We take a ski trip every winter and take 3-4 small trips through out the year. The compromise works well for us!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

lovepooh

I Have stayed at both. Have done the All-Star thing and the Moderates. Personally for me I enjoyed my stay at the Moderate better. The difference between the Values and Moderates are a lot easier to take
then Moderate to Deluxe. Don't Get me wrong I would love love to try a Deluxe one day, I just know the difference in price is just something I couldn't afford. Personally If its just you and your GF you would enjoy the quiet and serene quiet like of a Mod vs, a Value where there are more kids and lots of noises. Thats just me however.:)

Upvote 0

durangojim

I Have stayed at both. Have done the All-Star thing and the Moderates. Personally for me I enjoyed my stay at the Moderate better. The difference between the Values and Moderates are a lot easier to take
then Moderate to Deluxe. Don't Get me wrong I would love love to try a Deluxe one day, I just know the difference in price is just something I couldn't afford. Personally If its just you and your GF you would enjoy the quiet and serene quiet like of a Mod vs, a Value where there are more kids and lots of noises. Thats just me however.:)

Don't forget though that the OP is getting a 50% discount off of the room which makes the price difference between a standard room at WL and one at a moderate not too much money, even over an extended period of time.

Upvote 0

Figment632

Original Poster
I would take advantage of the CM discount while I could. You probably won't be a CM forever right? Worry about penny pinching if you're married and trying to buy a house or something. I'd stay at the WL and pay the difference of her share. That way, you can have what you want, she doesn't go outside of her budget, and then, she'll see how great it was and be happy you stayed there.

I'm not sure about that I have a full time job besides TDS and I only work for Disney on the weekends as long as I get this discount it might be worth the loss of a few hours of my weekend.

Upvote 0

dznygirl64

I also did the Disney store thing for 5 years only on weekends for the discount.I quit when the childrens place took over.Im glad they are gone now.Our store was always in the top 10 stores until the childrens place took over now the store is closed:(never to return.Anyway stay at a grand use the discount as much as possible because one day it will be gone.I so miss my 35% off merch.:cry:And Dude men arent bratty

Upvote 0

fmingo36

I am fortune to say I have stayed at all three types-Value, Moderate, and Deluxe.

I have no problem staying at the value. The only issue that I have with the value is the actual room size. There are four of us in the family and my youngest daughter still sleeps in a crib. Having a port-a-crib in the room takes up the little walking space there is. (Next trip she will be able to share a bed with her older sister so it shouldn't be an issue)

I would think that you and gf would be fine at the value, but you might want to mention to her that the values will be packed with families over the Christmas break and a moderate resort might be a little bit quieter/romantic. ;)

Upvote 0

Figment632

Original Poster
I am fortune to say I have stayed at all three types-Value, Moderate, and Deluxe.

I have no problem staying at the value. The only issue that I have with the value is the actual room size. There are four of us in the family and my youngest daughter still sleeps in a crib. Having a port-a-crib in the room takes up the little walking space there is. (Next trip she will be able to share a bed with her older sister so it shouldn't be an issue)

I would think that you and gf would be fine at the value, but you might want to mention to her that the values will be packed with families over the Christmas break and a moderate resort might be a little bit quieter/romantic. ;)

I've stayed at all the values except sports but we solved the problem and will be doing Riverside. My other problem with value besides the outside corridors is guest service, I just stayed at the Beach Club and they are much more willing to accomadate any problems then at a value. For example two years ago westayed at Pop and got stuck with a room by the pool. They let people stay in that pool screaming and acting like animals till after 2AM. No matter how many times I called to complain they did nothing, we ended up getting switched in the third night but we had to fight to get that.

This trip at the Beach Club the first night we had a similar problem, 10 minutes after the first call the problem was solved.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom