Am I Alone... WDW Food is BAD

PixarPerfect

In my 43 years, I've lived in the US for 37 of them and Europe for the other 6. Without question, walking into any random restaurant in the US vs. most of Europe (not all, looking at you Norway...), on average, you are much more likely to get a satisfying, well-made meal in a comfortable, clean atmosphere in Europe than in the US. The biggest difference, to me, comes down to the fact that the standard in the US seems to be set by the chains, which need to deliver a consistent product while maintaining consistent supply chains, no matter where the restaurant is located. This puts a limit on the ability of each franchise to experiment, or to select their ingredients closely from trusted local sources. Instead, their goal is "good enough not to offend". Because the chain restaurants set the standard, there is far less economic pressure for non-chain restaurants to do better.

The situation is the opposite in Europe. Although chain fast food restaurants exist, they are far less common than in the US, and chain sit-down restaurants are very rare. The quality level is driven far more by individual restauranteurs competing against each other, who have much more freedom to innovate, select their ingredients and train their cooks in the specific methods of preparation they want for their restaurant.

I'm not trying to be a snob here, but the simple fact is that in the US, with certain regional exceptions, we mostly eat very poorly compared to Europe.

In my experience the above is largely dependent upon location and restaurant type. Walking randomly through Venice one can encounter street after street of truly awful meals from private restauranteurs. I've encountered the same thing in other European countries and have walked out of restaurants without ordering entrees because the first round was THAT BAD (yes I paid). We've driven away from more than one sketchy looking place (flies, trash, food left out, etc.). They aren't all clean.

I will say that service in the USA tends to be better overall because of our tip system. Nothing makes a wait staff care less about service than a fixed or zero tip environment.

The bottom lines is that blanket statements rarely hold true. If you know where to look there are exceptional meals to be had in the USA, just as there are in any country.

There are talented, conscientious chefs who care about their patrons' experiences AND people who cut corners in skill, ingredients, and hygiene in every country. It's human nature.

Heppenheimer

In my experience the above is largely dependent upon location and restaurant type. Walking randomly through Venice one can encounter street after street of truly awful meals from private restauranteurs. I've encountered the same thing in other European countries and have walked out of restaurants without ordering entrees because the first round was THAT BAD (yes I paid). We've driven away from more than one sketchy looking place (flies, trash, food left out, etc.). They aren't all clean.

I will say that service in the USA tends to be better overall because of our tip system. Nothing makes a wait staff care less about service than a fixed or zero tip environment.

The bottom lines is that blanket statements rarely hold true. If you know where to look there are exceptional meals to be had in the USA, just as there are in any country.

There are talented, conscientious chefs who care about their patrons' experiences AND people who cut corners in skill, ingredients, and hygiene in every country. It's human nature.
You are most likely to see sub-par European restaurants in places with high tourist foot traffic, just like Venice. The business model here isn't repeat customers, it's high turn-over. They know you won't be back, but they've paid for the location that is most likely to snag you the one time you visit that location.

As for wait staff, I think this depends on your expectations of what you want with your meal. The expectation in Europe is more that the table is yours for as long as you want it. Hence, they don't bug you every 5 minutes with "Is everything all right?" "Can I get you anything", "Would you like the desert menu?", the purpose of which in the US is to keep the turn-over as high as possible. At least in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Belgium (the countries I am most familiar with), they usually leave you alone until you signal that you want something.

One can make a statement of averages without making a blanket statement. Of course, there are plenty of excellent restaurants in the US. But on an average comparison, you're just far more likely to have a better meal at any random restaurant in most of Europe vs. most of the US.

PixarPerfect

You are most likely to see sub-par European restaurants in places with high tourist foot traffic, just like Venice. The business model here isn't repeat customers, it's high turn-over. They know you won't be back, but they've paid for the location that is most likely to snag you the one time you visit that location.

As for wait staff, I think this depends on your expectations of what you want with your meal. The expectation in Europe is more that the table is yours for as long as you want it. Hence, they don't bug you every 5 minutes with "Is everything all right?" "Can I get you anything", "Would you like the desert menu?", the purpose of which in the US is to keep the turn-over as high as possible. At least in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Belgium (the countries I am most familiar with), they usually leave you alone until you signal that you want something.

Unless they go outside on smoke breaks for, oh, 30-50 minutes after dropping the check.

My experiences haven't all been tourist trap regions and some have been in the countries you mentioned. Venice was an obvious example of a European city where one has to hunt for a good meal vs. the other way around. It's why research--and sometimes luck of a good night--are so important.

I won't comment that Disney is a high tourist foot traffic location... ;)

Heppenheimer

You live in Vermont?
I've been in Vermont for the past two years, but I've also either lived in or spent longer than 3 months in PA, IN, NJ, VA, GA, MO, LA, TX, WA, OK, DC, NY, CA, AL, HI and AK. I've also lived officially in Germany and Belgium, and unofficially in Canada. Not to mention deployments to Kosovo and Afghanistan.

In my rough estimate of those places in the US, GA and IN had the worst food, DC and CA the best. I would rate Belgium as the country where the food is most consistently excellent (I've heard as much for Spain, but never visited).

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I've been in Vermont for the past two years, but I've also either lived in or spent longer than 3 months in PA, IN, NJ, VA, GA, MO, LA, TX, WA, OK, DC, NY, CA, AL, HI and AK. I've also lived officially in Germany and Belgium, and unofficially in Canada. Not to mention deployments to Kosovo and Afghanistan.

In my rough estimate of those places in the US, GA and IN had the worst food, DC and CA the best. I would rate Belgium as the country where the food is most consistently excellent (I've heard as much for Spain, but never visited).
Those southern states are a rough ride for good food. Spent a little time in Bama/Louisiana and the options were, not great, let’s say.

I live in NJ though, and the options are pretty fantastic. Though if you travel south past about exit 100 things get pretty dicey.

American food can be and in many cases is, fantastic. Chains like Applebee’s and Fridays, IMO do not represent American food anymore then Olive Garden represents Italian food. You are riding around western Alabama though, and I’d suggest Applebee’s 10 of 10 times. If you are in my neck of the woods? Applebee’s would be a last resort or a place to bring kids where you don’t have to worry about them getting a little loud and fussy.

Minnesota disney fan

I am talking about American restaurants like Applebees. Their food is horrendous. And yes, I have been to plenty of American restaurants in my 46 years as an American. I stand by my belief that most people here don't/won't go out of their comfort zone and try new types of foods, claiming that they are "too exotic" when they haven't even tried them. America is made up of people from all over the world, but the food at American type restaurants has morphed into processed, fast, cheap quality junk that they serve, not because these restaurants want people to have a good meal. But to make more money. I have traveled to 9 different countries and have had much better food, at a much more reasonable price then I can get in the city that I live. I am not saying that there are no good restaurants out there. I am saying that these American chain restaurants are serving junk. Everything is over salted and poorly prepared. The best food is from small, family owned restaurants where the recipes have been handed down from generation to generation. And it is usually food that comes from the "old Country".

Wow, that's your opinion. The way you came across you sounded like a few foreigners I have met who think Americans are a certain way, which is not flattering. That's all. I have encountered this before, and it sounded like you were doing the same thing.
Sorry about that if you are not prejudging Americans like others that I have known. We all have our opinions and are free to express them. BION, I like Applebees LOL :)

Minnesota disney fan

In my 43 years, I've lived in the US for 37 of them and Europe for the other 6. Without question, walking into any random restaurant in the US vs. most of Europe (not all, looking at you Norway...), on average, you are much more likely to get a satisfying, well-made meal in a comfortable, clean atmosphere in Europe than in the US. The biggest difference, to me, comes down to the fact that the standard in the US seems to be set by the chains, which need to deliver a consistent product while maintaining consistent supply chains, no matter where the restaurant is located. This puts a limit on the ability of each franchise to experiment, or to select their ingredients closely from trusted local sources. Instead, their goal is "good enough not to offend". Because the chain restaurants set the standard, there is far less economic pressure for non-chain restaurants to do better.

The situation is the opposite in Europe. Although chain fast food restaurants exist, they are far less common than in the US, and chain sit-down restaurants are very rare. The quality level is driven far more by individual restauranteurs competing against each other, who have much more freedom to innovate, select their ingredients and train their cooks in the specific methods of preparation they want for their restaurant.

I'm not trying to be a snob here, but the simple fact is that in the US, with certain regional exceptions, we mostly eat very poorly compared to Europe.

Glad we are not Europeans (no offense to my foreign friends), but some their food makes me gag. I'm sure some is good, as it is everywhere in the world - good and bad. And why are we even having this conversation. I just responded to what I felt were rude remarks made towards all Americans, esp at Disney world. Good thing we all have different opinions, or everyone would want to eat at good old Applebee's :)

Minnesota disney fan

Again, it's all subjective to each person, anyway. This has turned into an interesting subject, though

Minnesota disney fan

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Most foreign food is changed and usually it is in the terms of less flavor. Look at how many people say that they won't eat at Boma because they don't like "spices." What is wrong with some herbs and seasoning that is not salt.
Nothing is wrong with it. Everyone is different. I don't like all those spices at Boma BTW, but love other spicy foods.

yaksplat

My son can's have nuts and I can't eat dairy. Disney is just about the only place where we're comfortable eating in restaurants. We enjoy ourselves quite a bit eating out. I've had restaurants go out of their way to bring us food that we can eat. Trails End brought out the most amazing strawberry shortcake that was safe for both of us. I still have no idea how they made whipped cream that I could eat.

Hockey89

Glad we are not Europeans (no offense to my foreign friends), but some their food makes me gag. I'm sure some is good, as it is everywhere in the world - good and bad. And why are we even having this conversation. I just responded to what I felt were rude remarks made towards all Americans, esp at Disney world. Good thing we all have different opinions, or everyone would want to eat at good old Applebee's :)
Applebees is example number 1 what's wrong with chains and American food in general....

Hockey89

Wow, that's your opinion. The way you came across you sounded like a few foreigners I have met who think Americans are a certain way, which is not flattering. That's all. I have encountered this before, and it sounded like you were doing the same thing.
Sorry about that if you are not prejudging Americans like others that I have known. We all have our opinions and are free to express them. BION, I like Applebees LOL :)
I'm sorry... The opinion Applebbes is bad is a fact not an opinion...

awoogala

We've had good meals, great meals, and ok meals.
The only time we've had "bad" food it was our fault for trying to eat at certain resort q.s.
(no allergies, but something in the cheaper oil mixes really upset our systems- we've narrowed it down to canola, or soy, or dairy additives- in other words- the cooking oil "mix" they use in a lot of restaurants in the U.S.- same problem if we go to most cheaper chain restaurants. We tend not to eat at those places, either, in the real world.)
We do a lot of lounges these days- small plates, good to great food, decent to good wines.
Nomad and Tiffins has always been good
Tutto Gusto has always been as good as it was when it opened
We love Spice Road Table.
Jungle Navigation Company has always been pretty good- though we tend to order an array of apps to share (that noodle salad and falafel are wonderful!)
Years ago, we liked Tusker's- but they really seemed to de-spice and de-flavor everything the second they added in characters, so we haven't been back in years. We've always enjoyed the Wave at the Contemporary (It isn't fine dining, but it's absolutely better than most places).
Le Cellier is- ok, I never was highly impressed with it for the cost, and I don't think it's even as good as it once was.
I think there are still some good to great meals to be had, but I also think they are desperate for good cooks (look on Disney Careers- they are offering relocation expenses to sous chefs from many major cities!)
I've also had an ok meal somewhere, to then return and have a better one- remember, there is turnover, and no one works every day of the year- it might be a bad day, or the chef who made your last meal is off today, or they left, etc.

kverdon

To paraphrase an old song “We’ve had good meals, bad meals and going half mad meals” at WDW. Generally we like the food there but have noticed that a number of our favs have taken a turn for the worse of late, especially in the World Showcase. Spice Route Table used to be a definite to-go place but after 2 bad meals there it is off the list for now. We went back to Marrakesh last time as an alternate and it was pretty bad as well. (The chicken bastilla was as dry and dense as a hockey puck). Le Cellier is now half as good and twice as expensive, etc. it used to be that on a 10 day trip at least half of our meals would be in the work showcase but for our upcoming trip, just 2, Rose and Crown to see the new show, and Via Napoli for the Pizza. The only table service restaurant in the other parks we will go to is Tiffins at AK. It just seems table service quality in the parks has slid quite a bit in the last few years. Having said that, we have found a number of new places in Disney Springs we really like (Maria and Enzo’s, Art Smith’s and Morimotos), enough so that we are staying part of our trip at Saratoga Springs this next time. We also tried Ale and Compass at BC last trip and were pleased with that find. The AK resorts restaurants are holing in there but Jiko has come down a notch of late.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom