Am I Alone... WDW Food is BAD

Raineman

Judging from the majority of posts in this thread, there are alot of people with a much more sophisticated palate than mine. If you like to continue to visit WDW, but don't like the prices and/or the quality of the dining options, there really are just 2 options: dont visit, or only eat meals at off-property locations. You're basically a captive audience when it comes to food in the parks-if you don't mind burning some park time, then hopping in the car to eat offsite would be the best option, but even a quick meal, especially at MK, would probably take at least an hour and a half, when you consider walking to the front gates of the park, getting to your car, driving to the restaurant, eating, driving back to the parking lot, and getting back into the park. I guess it all depends on what importance you place on dining quality/price in the grand scheme of your vacation. For my family, it isn't a major factor.

MichaelaSP

Here is the thing. WDW is not "good food at a reasonable theme park price" WDW is OK food at a more than reasonable theme park price.

I used to place WDW food in the solid "good" category, but it has become "OK". I don't consider it bad. The number of meals I have had at WDW were I came out thinking "that food was just bad" number in the single digits (but they are there). But very very rarely do I come out of a WDW restaurant thinking that I need to get the recipe, or I want to order that dish again.

As for price, as I have said time and time again. I expect a theme park mark up. WDW used to have a theme park mark up, now it is to the point where it is an excessive money grab.

As an example, I often Vivino on wines I order in restaurants. That way I have a record of it, if I liked it, and I know where I can get it if I want to buy more. I have no issues with paying double retail for a bottle in a restaurant. That is standard mark up, and I understand why it gets marked up that much. However, I was out at a nice steakhouse in town, which prides themselves on having a "unique wine list with hard to find wines on it". We bought a $45 bottle I had never heard of. When it came to the table, I ran it through Vivino, and it came up as available for $10.99 at the ShopRite liquors 5 miles away. That is gouging, and it is the same feeling that WDW dining gives me.

As in my above example. I have no issues with OK food, it's when you couple it with their outrageous pricing that I feel cheated.

Exactly. Even premium prices would be fine (it is a theme park) but ultra premium is going a bit too far.
Let’s agree that it’s alright to have our own opinions and it’s alright to disagree, but continue with healthy discussions 😉

jaklgreen

Judging from the majority of posts in this thread, there are alot of people with a much more sophisticated palate than mine. If you like to continue to visit WDW, but don't like the prices and/or the quality of the dining options, there really are just 2 options: dont visit, or only eat meals at off-property locations. You're basically a captive audience when it comes to food in the parks-if you don't mind burning some park time, then hopping in the car to eat offsite would be the best option, but even a quick meal, especially at MK, would probably take at least an hour and a half, when you consider walking to the front gates of the park, getting to your car, driving to the restaurant, eating, driving back to the parking lot, and getting back into the park. I guess it all depends on what importance you place on dining quality/price in the grand scheme of your vacation. For my family, it isn't a major factor.

I think that there is good food to be found around the resort, but it's not going to be burgers/nuggets/mac and cheese. I am not sure what you consider a sophisticated palate, but from my own experience I can say that I like food. I eat a huge variety of foods and have always given my kids the same variety. Over the years of eating more types/variety of food, your palate does change. The more good quality/variety of food that you eat, the worse poorly prepared food tastes to you. So people that are either good cooks, or have access/can afford good quality, well prepared food are going to find that most American restaurants do taste horrible. I think that a lot of people stick to their food bubble and are too scared to try something new. Just reading a bunch of comments on these boards shows that there are many people who think that most of the food at WDW is "exotic". I don't find that at all. I don't think that I can pin point 1 place that has food that is so "out of there" to be called exotic. Especially since they "dumb" down the food for Americans. A person can't really say that they don't like something if they have never actually tried it. We always made the food an adventure for our kids growing up. We talked about all of the new things that we would try on our trips. It was part of the fun of going to WDW. I recommend that people try at least 1 or 2 different things per trip. You never know what you will like.

Phonedave

I think that there is good food to be found around the resort, but it's not going to be burgers/nuggets/mac and cheese. I am not sure what you consider a sophisticated palate, but from my own experience I can say that I like food. I eat a huge variety of foods and have always given my kids the same variety. Over the years of eating more types/variety of food, your palate does change. The more good quality/variety of food that you eat, the worse poorly prepared food tastes to you. So people that are either good cooks, or have access/can afford good quality, well prepared food are going to find that most American restaurants do taste horrible. I think that a lot of people stick to their food bubble and are too scared to try something new. Just reading a bunch of comments on these boards shows that there are many people who think that most of the food at WDW is "exotic". I don't find that at all. I don't think that I can pin point 1 place that has food that is so "out of there" to be called exotic. Especially since they "dumb" down the food for Americans. A person can't really say that they don't like something if they have never actually tried it. We always made the food an adventure for our kids growing up. We talked about all of the new things that we would try on our trips. It was part of the fun of going to WDW. I recommend that people try at least 1 or 2 different things per trip. You never know what you will like.

I am also in the same camp. I like all sorts of food, not just "sophisticated" food. However, what I do not like is being taken advantage of. My palate has become more "cost aware". I can be very happy eating a grilled mass produced chicken breast with processed cheese food, a hothouse tomato and iceberg lettuce on a white Pepperage Farm sandwich roll. Just don't tell me it's an "artisinal, gourmet, handcrafted, chefs creation" and charge me $20 for it when I know your food cost is around $4

Raineman

I guess a description of the level of sophistication of my palate would be "willing to try new things, content with fairly basic food items, not affected by less-than-optimal quality unless the quality makes the food un-consumable, finds most vegetables distasteful". I haven't really seen anything at WDW that I would call exotic, either-there are items where the preparation method or the terms they use to describe the item are foreign to me or something I haven't heard of before, but a few questions or some Googling usually clear that up. Our first park dinner during our upcoming trip will be at San Angel Inn at Epcot, and, after reading the menu online, I found there are quite a few items that I am not familiar with, but I am looking forward to trying; my knowledge of Mexican food does not extend much past basic items that you would find in most Mexican restaurants.

jaklgreen

I guess a description of the level of sophistication of my palate would be "willing to try new things, content with fairly basic food items, not affected by less-than-optimal quality unless the quality makes the food un-consumable, finds most vegetables distasteful". I haven't really seen anything at WDW that I would call exotic, either-there are items where the preparation method or the terms they use to describe the item are foreign to me or something I haven't heard of before, but a few questions or some Googling usually clear that up. Our first park dinner during our upcoming trip will be at San Angel Inn at Epcot, and, after reading the menu online, I found there are quite a few items that I am not familiar with, but I am looking forward to trying; my knowledge of Mexican food does not extend much past basic items that you would find in most Mexican restaurants.

I agree that googling term/ingredients that a person might not know is a great idea. Most of the time it is just a fancy word for something mundane. I think that there are a lot of people who read a menu and come across a few terms that they do not know and just call it quits saying that it is too "exotic". Take the few minutes to look things up and you might be surprised how "normal" it is.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I am also in the same camp. I like all sorts of food, not just "sophisticated" food. However, what I do not like is being taken advantage of. My palate has become more "cost aware". I can be very happy eating a grilled mass produced chicken breast with processed cheese food, a hothouse tomato and iceberg lettuce on a white Pepperage Farm sandwich roll. Just don't tell me it's an "artisinal, gourmet, handcrafted, chefs creation" and charge me $20 for it when I know your food cost is around $4
Disney charges 30% food cost, 30% labor, 30% overhead, and 30% shareholders/executive bonuses.

Minnesota disney fan

Hi Jaklgreen: I agree with most of what you post. However, I am curious. Why do you think "most American restaurants taste horrible?" Have you been to all of them? Or is that a general quote? I also wonder why you would say such a rude thing as "Especially since they "dumb" down the food for Americans?" I don't know where you get that attitude about Americans and food,, but it is wrong. I think you would get upset if I said that "all foreigners have terrible restaurants and WDW dumbed down their food forForeigners ( fill in wherever you may live}. Just wondering why you would say such a thing at all?

Hockey89

Hi Jaklgreen: I agree with most of what you post. However, I am curious. Why do you think "most American restaurants taste horrible?" Have you been to all of them? Or is that a general quote? I also wonder why you would say such a rude thing as "Especially since they "dumb" down the food for Americans?" I don't know where you get that attitude about Americans and food,, but it is wrong. I think you would get upset if I said that "all foreigners have terrible restaurants and WDW dumbed down their food forForeigners ( fill in wherever you may live}. Just wondering why you would say such a thing at all?
I won't answer for Jaklgreen, but when I say dumb down American food.... I'm talking about China at Epcot... They could have "real" Szechuan food.... Disney dumbs down it's menus for the American masses at their theme parks.... You can't find a hint of spice... Is this true for all people in this country? No.... But when you see people ordering well done Rib Eyes that is what Disney is dealing with...

Phonedave

Hang around these board long enough and you will see many comments from people who "will not eat fish" or "don't like any vegetables" or "only like beef and chicken".

WDW caters to the largest portion of it's customer base. People who do not want to move out of their comfort zone, and whos' comfort zone is middle of the road food. It does not mean they are "dumb" or that the food they like "tastes horrible" but for many people all they are going to order is a beef filet or a grilled boneless chicken breast. Heck, many people won't even eat dark meat chicken - you know, the parts that actually have flavor.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

I won't answer for Jaklgreen, but when I say dumb down American food.... I'm talking about China at Epcot... They could have "real" Szechuan food.... Disney dumbs down it's menus for the American masses at their theme parks.... You can't find a hint of spice... Is this true for all people in this country? No.... But when you see people ordering well done Rib Eyes that is what Disney is dealing with...

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Most foreign food is changed and usually it is in the terms of less flavor. Look at how many people say that they won't eat at Boma because they don't like "spices." What is wrong with some herbs and seasoning that is not salt.

jaklgreen

I am talking about American restaurants like Applebees. Their food is horrendous. And yes, I have been to plenty of American restaurants in my 46 years as an American. I stand by my belief that most people here don't/won't go out of their comfort zone and try new types of foods, claiming that they are "too exotic" when they haven't even tried them. America is made up of people from all over the world, but the food at American type restaurants has morphed into processed, fast, cheap quality junk that they serve, not because these restaurants want people to have a good meal. But to make more money. I have traveled to 9 different countries and have had much better food, at a much more reasonable price then I can get in the city that I live. I am not saying that there are no good restaurants out there. I am saying that these American chain restaurants are serving junk. Everything is over salted and poorly prepared. The best food is from small, family owned restaurants where the recipes have been handed down from generation to generation. And it is usually food that comes from the "old Country".

OneofThree

Hang around these board long enough and you will see many comments from people who "will not eat fish" or "don't like any vegetables" or "only like beef and chicken".

WDW caters to the largest portion of it's customer base. People who do not want to move out of their comfort zone, and who's comfort zone is middle of the road food. It does not mean they are "dumb" or that the food they like "tastes horrible" but for many people all they are going to order is a beef filet or a grilled boneless chicken breast. Heck, many people won't even eat dark meat chicken - you know, the parts that actually have flavor.

Got nothing against 'Murican food, really. I can't really get into ordering the obligatory filet at every meal (typically an average one, at that) while asking for macaroni off the kids menu. If that does it for you, have it at. What's a shame is that this (in addition to the dining plan) really seems to effect the menu's and Disney's buyers to the point that it' ridiculous to refer to most of their "signature" restaurants as such.

Heppenheimer

I am talking about American restaurants like Applebees. Their food is horrendous. And yes, I have been to plenty of American restaurants in my 46 years as an American. I stand by my belief that most people here don't/won't go out of their comfort zone and try new types of foods, claiming that they are "too exotic" when they haven't even tried them. America is made up of people from all over the world, but the food at American type restaurants has morphed into processed, fast, cheap quality junk that they serve, not because these restaurants want people to have a good meal. But to make more money. I have traveled to 9 different countries and have had much better food, at a much more reasonable price then I can get in the city that I live. I am not saying that there are no good restaurants out there. I am saying that these American chain restaurants are serving junk. Everything is over salted and poorly prepared. The best food is from small, family owned restaurants where the recipes have been handed down from generation to generation. And it is usually food that comes from the "old Country".
In my 43 years, I've lived in the US for 37 of them and Europe for the other 6. Without question, walking into any random restaurant in the US vs. most of Europe (not all, looking at you Norway...), on average, you are much more likely to get a satisfying, well-made meal in a comfortable, clean atmosphere in Europe than in the US. The biggest difference, to me, comes down to the fact that the standard in the US seems to be set by the chains, which need to deliver a consistent product while maintaining consistent supply chains, no matter where the restaurant is located. This puts a limit on the ability of each franchise to experiment, or to select their ingredients closely from trusted local sources. Instead, their goal is "good enough not to offend". Because the chain restaurants set the standard, there is far less economic pressure for non-chain restaurants to do better.

The situation is the opposite in Europe. Although chain fast food restaurants exist, they are far less common than in the US, and chain sit-down restaurants are very rare. The quality level is driven far more by individual restauranteurs competing against each other, who have much more freedom to innovate, select their ingredients and train their cooks in the specific methods of preparation they want for their restaurant.

I'm not trying to be a snob here, but the simple fact is that in the US, with certain regional exceptions, we mostly eat very poorly compared to Europe.

PixarPerfect

WDW caters to the largest portion of it's customer base.

While I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, I don't think the above is entirely accurate. The very fact that Disney offers a variety of restaurant styles that offer "beyond the burger and nugget" menus means they aren't catering to the largest portion. Is the food at each country's restaurant 100% authentic? Not really, but that's hard to find anywhere outside of the country itself (and frankly, "authentic" could mean only eating what grandmother makes with her own two hands rather than in a restaurant anyway). Disney does a good job of providing a broad range; the food at Skipper Canteen or Boma (both favorites) aren't exactly what one finds in most American towns.

The current trend in America to have every dish burn one's tongue off frustrates the heck out of me. I've traveled extensively within almost every one of the countries (or continents, in Africa's case) represented in Disney and, Szechuan aside, dined in-country on dishes that, while balanced in spice, weren't necessarily spicy. That's a direct contradiction of most "interpretations" of the country's dishes. An easy example is the American version of Mexican food. The food found in Mexico itself is a far-cry from Tex-Mex or border grub. It's fresh, nuanced and usually not fire alarm-ready. IMO, the menu in Epcot does a decent job at reflecting that difference while still offering familiar Americanized Mexican dishes.

I wish restaurants would learn that eating "ethnic" doesn't mean one needs to lose taste buds in the process.

Chi84

Premium Member
While I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, I don't think the above is entirely accurate. The very fact that Disney offers a variety of restaurant styles that offer "beyond the burger and nugget" menus means they aren't catering to the largest portion. Is the food at each country's restaurant 100% authentic? Not really, but that's hard to find anywhere outside of the country itself (and frankly, "authentic" could mean only eating what grandmother makes with her own two hands rather than in a restaurant anyway). Disney does a good job of providing a broad range; the food at Skipper Canteen or Boma (both favorites) aren't exactly what one finds in most American towns.

The current trend in America to have every dish burn one's tongue off frustrates the heck out of me. I've traveled extensively within almost every one of the countries (or continents, in Africa's case) represented in Disney and, Szechuan aside, dined in-country on dishes that, while balanced in spice, weren't necessarily spicy. That's a direct contradiction of most "interpretations" of the country's dishes. An easy example is the American version of Mexican food. The food found in Mexico itself is a far-cry from Tex-Mex or border grub. It's fresh, nuanced and usually not fire alarm-ready. IMO, the menu in Epcot does a decent job at reflecting that difference while still offering familiar Americanized Mexican dishes.

I wish restaurants would learn that eating "ethnic" doesn't mean one needs to lose taste buds in the process.
I have the opposite problem. One look at my blonde hair and blue eyes and no Indian restaurant will serve me an authentic vindaloo . .

Heppenheimer

See my previous post. I have the same complaint, but in a more general sense. "Flavor" in the US more often means ramp up the ingredient to the 10th level rather than provide a pleasant balance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom