Am I Alone... WDW Food is BAD

jaklgreen

I didnt say cant, I implied won't until there is sufficient demand to maintain stocks of fresh hashgacha ingredients and the necessary separation of dish preparation since you cant mix and match.
I see what you are saying now. It just sounded like you were saying that they can not do it. They obviously have a company that they get their Kosher food from. I don't see why they can't, with enough notice, order in more of a variety. Someone spending a week or more at WDW should not be limited to the same 4 meals. I think that if it was me, I would look into renting a DVC villa with a kitchen and order some Kosher food myself.

Fox&Hound

Honestly, a few weeks ago, my husband said I was "very religious" because all I had was bread and wine from even top restaurants like the Cali Grill. I feel like we spent a lot of money this year on restaurants - of all levels (like BOG, 50s Prime Time, The Wave. Rainforest Cafe, Wolfgang Puck, the Cali Grill) and it just wasn't worth it. I've never experienced that before. The food wasn't good for the price.
The scallops at BOG were "fishy". Anything at 50s or Rainforest was inedible. The service at The Wave wasn't a "typical" CM experience and the food was eh. Puck's was pure salt. The surf and turf at the Cali Grill was gooped up with so much sauce, it was challenging to find anything edible.
I'm hoping it was just an off year and next year will be better - otherwise my years as a church organist will serve me well as I have more bread and wine next year.

We thought it would be fun to eat at Rainforest Cafe on our last trip (I know it is an outside contractor and not Disney) but we will never eat there again. Horrible...

Phonedave

That's silly. They obviously can supply Kosher meals, and do. They just don't have very many options. Probably because of the low demand. It is a shame that they can not order in more options with advanced notice. Maybe supply a catalog and make it pre-pay, like the dining plan. I can imagine a long trip with the same couple of food options gets old.

There is kosher and then there is kosher. For some people kosher just means no pork, and no milk and meat together. Others are a lot more strict, where a pan used for cooking meat is forever a meat pan, and if used to cook vegetables makes them considered meat - so now no dairy can be added to them. It is sort of like a gluten free kitchen. Things have to be kept separate and no cross contamination.

If WDW is going to call something Kosher, then it need to adhere to the most stringent kosher requirements. Also, Rabbinical inspection (which is required for Kosher facilities) is not at all cheap (and the facility is who pays for it).

gustaftp

Value is subjective and varies from person to person but I’ve never had a meal at WDW that left me with a “wow, that’s the best (blank) I’ve ever had” or “wow, I’ve never had that before”.

The best lamb I'd ever had was at Restaurant Marrakesh. And several of the best dining experiences I've had were there as well.

And at the San Angel Inn I had a really good dish that featured an almond sauce (I believe) - something I'd never had despite having been to the "real" Mexico a few times where this food is much cheaper. It was delicious.

Phonedave

My initial $200-600 meal for 2 diners comment was never intended to cause so much head scratching! Rather, I used it to show that my own $100 sit-down dining experiences at Disney were not that far off of average restaurant experiences. In other words, I wouldn't expect fine dining for the price, especially at a theme park.

In my examples, sit down meals fit the average formula: an appetizer or salad starter, entree, possibly dessert, and maybe a cocktail or glass of wine. No shots on the table or bottles of wine to ratchet up the price. Of course any meal is going to have additional tax and tip charges. For me the tip is generally 20-25%, usually at the higher end at nicer restaurants where more staff contributes to my experience and that tip has to be shared among many. There is another topic about skipping out on tips... I find that horrible.

But here is the thing. The food you get for $100 at WDW is comparable to what I can get for $60 at a chain restaurant. If I go out to eat at a local place that is $100, it's not fine dining, but the food is much better than at WDW. I am comparing WDW's food to similar food.

mdcpr

The best lamb I'd ever had was at Restaurant Marrakesh. And several of the best dining experiences I've had were there as well.

And at the San Angel Inn I had a really good dish that featured an almond sauce (I believe) - something I'd never had despite having been to the "real" Mexico a few times where this food is much cheaper. It was delicious.
The almond sauce is actually mole. Not all mole has a chocolate base. This almond sauce is my fave.

jaklgreen

There is kosher and then there is kosher. For some people kosher just means no pork, and no milk and meat together. Others are a lot more strict, where a pan used for cooking meat is forever a meat pan, and if used to cook vegetables makes them considered meat - so now no dairy can be added to them. It is sort of like a gluten free kitchen. Things have to be kept separate and no cross contamination.

If WDW is going to call something Kosher, then it need to adhere to the most stringent kosher requirements. Also, Rabbinical inspection (which is required for Kosher facilities) is not at all cheap (and the facility is who pays for it).

I know the difference. And I imagine that Disney is going by the strict Kosher rules, hence the very, very limited option. Since they obviously order it in, I think it would be decent of them to have a catalog of items that the person can order and pay for ahead. It would require a higher degree of planning, knowing where you are going to eat every day, but it could be done. Can you imagine just eating the same 3-4 meals for your whole trip?

Phonedave

I know the difference. And I imagine that Disney is going by the strict Kosher rules, hence the very, very limited option. Since they obviously order it in, I think it would be decent of them to have a catalog of items that the person can order and pay for ahead. It would require a higher degree of planning, knowing where you are going to eat every day, but it could be done. Can you imagine just eating the same 3-4 meals for your whole trip?

I agree that eating the same 3-4 things is boring. But I don't think ordering ahead of time is much better. It's bad enough having to make ADRs 180 days out, having to pick the actual dish you want to eat at that time too, ugh.

John park hopper

We thought it would be fun to eat at Rainforest Cafe on our last trip (I know it is an outside contractor and not Disney) but we will never eat there again. Horrible...
We ate at the Rainforest Cafe in May and I had the flat iron steak and it was excellent, service was great. That seems to be a recurring problem good one time horrible another. It should be good all the time

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

Well, just read all of these, and gotta put my 1 cents worth in. ( everything has depreciated in value, so not 2 cents worth:)
We dont' go to disney expecting gourmet food and don't go actively looking for it. It is a theme park with theme park food, sometimes great and sometimes not so great. If you are looking for great food at disney, you will be disappointed. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, so no on is right or wrong, just different appetities. Has the quality declined of the food? Yes, but they are serving huge masses of people every day at a theme park (a superior, once in a life time one, but a theme park)..........

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom