Am I Alone... WDW Food is BAD

Heppenheimer

McDonald's serves a Belgian classic... French Fries. But you have to ask for mayonnaise.
McDonald's over-salted potato sticks can't hold a shadow to Belgium's twice-fried frietje perfection. Nor can they compete with the huge variety of sauces Belgian frituurs offer. Mayonnaise is just one of many, but personally, I prefer pindasaus (like a peanut satay) or stoofvlees (beef stewed in dark beer).

McDonalds fries are to Belgian food as Elio's pizza or Chef Boy-Ar-Dee is to Italian food.

poppin

I don’t have super high expectations at theme parks. I live just outside a foodie city. I wouldn’t try to compare what is happening on the food scene where I live, to amusement park food. I come from a family that once owned a chain of truck stops in the midwest and growing up I drove with my parents all over the US stopping at MANY truck stops...so I am not snobby either. If its good quality and cooked correctly I’ll be happy. If its not, I just remember that I am in the middle of a theme park lol

Last edited:

Andrew M

Judging from the comments I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think some of the food at WDW is excellent. My wife and I always look forward to our favorites.. Maya Grill, Ohana, California Grill, San Angel Inn, etc. We've definitely had a few duds here or there, but for the most part always a good experience. We live in NYC and find most of the better table service restaurants to be comparable in quality and price to similar places back home.

Hockey89

Judging from the comments I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think some of the food at WDW is excellent. My wife and I always look forward to our favorites.. Maya Grill, Ohana, California Grill, San Angel Inn, etc. We've definitely had a few duds here or there, but for the most part always a good experience. We live in NYC and find most of the better table service restaurants to be comparable in quality and price to similar places back home.
When I eat at Per Se, I def think cal grill. Insane

Chi84

Premium Member
We've had some pretty good food at San Angel, but the tight seating (and we're pretty small) is a definite turn-off. The tables for two are those tiny tables all in a row where you're right between two other couples. Also, they decided to turn the former waiting area outside of the main dining room (right next to the bathrooms) into seating for large groups. It's a sad area with no view whatsoever and should not be used as a dining area. We got attitude when we offered to wait for a different table.

HRHPrincessAriel

I mean that depends... where are you eating?? Honestly the food in la hacienda de san angel is some of the best Mexican food ive ever had outside of mexico ..(and I am mexican)

Granted, it may have changed since 2016 but it was still dope AF then
I’m a Texan so we gave both Tex Mex and Mexican here....I whole heartily disagree with you. We tried it once as well as other “Mexican food” places and don’t ever go back.

MrMcDuck

When I eat at Per Se, I def think cal grill. Insane

This thread continues to be ridiculous on all sides. He said "we find most of the better table service restaurants to be comparable in quality and price to similar places back home". Note the word similar. While I don't actually agree with him regarding WDW vs. NYC, bringing up Per Se when discussing California Grill is not really fair. The closest thing WDW has to Per Se is Victoria and Albert's and while Per Se would win out in the comparison, at least it's a more appropriate one. Good grief.

Lilofan

This thread continues to be ridiculous on all sides. He said "we find most of the better table service restaurants to be comparable in quality and price to similar places back home". Note the word similar. While I don't actually agree with him regarding WDW vs. NYC, bringing up Per Se when discussing California Grill is not really fair. The closest thing WDW has to Per Se is Victoria and Albert's and while Per Se would win out in the comparison, at least it's a more appropriate one. Good grief.
This is a forum with members sharing different takes. Good grief, Charlie Brown😉

baymenxpac

i'd tend to agree. first, all taste is subjective. someone could prefer mcdonalds over le benardin. and yeah, i live on long island, and you're going to be hard-pressed to find italian food that impresses me, just like someone who lives in texas isn't going to have their socks roll up eating mexican food in florida. that doesn't mean there isn't merit for me in eating italian food away from home.

the fairest criticisms of WDW food are:

1) like @trojanjustin said, the menus have become homogenized because of the dining plan
2) the food is overpriced. i live 35 miles from new york city. trust me when i tell you that the food is WDW is overpriced
3) if they're going to operate at that price point, there should be less volatility in the quality of the service. it shouldn't be a roll of the dice if i get a good experience for a premium price, and in the last decade especially, there's a far greater chance of having a poor dining experience than there used to be.

Lilofan

Food at WDW is indeed overpriced since I live in NYC and the prices are not that shocking--which should be!
I could never figure out when we visit friends in NYC that live in a box and pay astronomical rent, no car and the food is very reasonably priced and delicious!

mdcpr

I could never figure out when we visit friends in NYC that live in a box and pay astronomical rent, no car and the food is very reasonably priced and delicious!
We can live in a box because a big home does not define us, plus there's so much to do outside of the home! We pay astronomical rent/mortgage, but it is all relative if you don't own a car and you don't have to pay car payments, nor insurance/gas/maintenance. Utilities are pretty cheap compared to other parts of the country. But yes, the food, you can find some gems where you least expect it. Glad you visited!

Martha46

Value is subjective and varies from person to person but I’ve never had a meal at WDW that left me with a “wow, that’s the best (blank) I’ve ever had” or “wow, I’ve never had that before”.

Let’s hear it... am I alone or not?!
The Dockside bucket of fried clam strips at the Boathouse are the best I have ever eaten!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom