Am I Alone... WDW Food is BAD

Thebolt

There are some good quick service. Fish and chips, flame tree, brats in Germany, poutine in Canada.

Epcot's Fish and Chips are just wrong.... 2 oblong fillets in a smooth batter is not something you ever be given in a UK chippy.... it should be 1 large randomly shaped fillet in bubbly batter. Harp lager died out about 30 years ago too.
Cooks of Dublin in Disney Springs is a much more authentic option for Fish and Chips (minus the mushy peas, curry sauce and wooden forks? ;-) ).

Chi84

Premium Member
This discussion is fascinating. I've long watched this site and it's the first that's prompted me to post.

Eating at a Disney restaurant is not a requirement for attending one of the Parks. If you dislike the food or find it overpriced, pack in your own meals. Eat before you hit the Park of choice and leave and dine elsewhere. Problem solved.

Wait... You want convenience and stellar food at non-Park prices? That's never going to happen as there are other things that are bundled into that entree's price. The theming in the restaurant itself? That's not cheap. Prime real estate within the Park and all of the extras that come with maintaining a place catering to volumes 7 days a week within a constrained system? Also not cheap. At Disney, the chef isn't going down to the farmer's market and seeing what's fresh that day. Each restaurant has a carefully scrutinized menu and long-planned sourcing process that (I'd expect) requires more than a few approvals. Fresh scallops at a Disney food truck may not work out, logistically.

From personal experience... My husband and I have dined all around the world at some of the best restaurants. The kinds of restaurants with multiple Michelin stars and that make revered chefs' "last meal" lists. We live in a city touted by most as a foodie's destination. We eat out frequently. We've also dined at most of the table service restaurants in Disney over the last 20 years.

Have we had so-so meals? Every once in a while, yes, but that's been the exception rather than the rule and we'll never visit that place again. Most of the time the meals are what we expect: well above average for a theme park and fine by outside standards. Just look at Universal's overly processed and deep-fried offerings (HP aside) at the same price points and it's easy to see Disney is well ahead of the game. We don't go to the restaurants expecting to be blown away and are usually quite happy with our meal, especially when we factor in everything else like theming and convenience. We usually hit the signature and nicer table service restaurants.

I haven't eaten at a Disney quick service restaurant since childhood. Not a big burger / fries / chicken nugget eater.

As for the prices? It's rare for my husband and I to go out to eat at a "regular" restaurant for less than a $100. Nicer restaurants in our area generally in the $200-600 range for both of us. The menus are often limited to 4-5 entree options. For us, most of the Disney restaurants fall under the regular pricing for a sit-down restaurant.

The somewhat watered down "ethnic" offerings? I look at them as an introduction to the country rather than 100% authentic. If a person has never had Morrocan food before, then a taste may be enough to spark a passion. Is what's at the Animal Kingdom as authentic as what one would find at a true African Boma? Probably not. Most people won't make it to Africa so for them, it's a good introduction.

Are Disney's restaurants perfect? Not all of them. But there are plenty that are great given the circumstances.
That's a pretty good summary of our experiences at Disney also, and I agree with much of what you've said. The only thing I would point out is that some of the quick service locations (for example: Tangierine Cafe, Columbia Harbor House, the Mara) offer a pretty good variety of options, some of them fairly healthful. We are also not burger/fries/chicken nugget eaters and we find plenty of options for a pretty decent lunch in the parks. DH and I split a shrimp and arugula flatbread and a tomato basil soup at Pizzafari and enjoyed the food. It really does depend on what you choose to order at the QS locations. The resort signatures are not close to what most people consider fine dining, but we are generally very happy with our meals there. We are also happy with most of the restaurants we've tried at Disney Springs.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
This discussion is fascinating. I've long watched this site and it's the first that's prompted me to post.

Eating at a Disney restaurant is not a requirement for attending one of the Parks. If you dislike the food or find it overpriced, pack in your own meals. Eat before you hit the Park of choice and leave and dine elsewhere. Problem solved.

Wait... You want convenience and stellar food at non-Park prices? That's never going to happen as there are other things that are bundled into that entree's price. The theming in the restaurant itself? That's not cheap. Prime real estate within the Park and all of the extras that come with maintaining a place catering to volumes 7 days a week within a constrained system? Also not cheap. At Disney, the chef isn't going down to the farmer's market and seeing what's fresh that day. Each restaurant has a carefully scrutinized menu and long-planned sourcing process that (I'd expect) requires more than a few approvals. Fresh scallops at a Disney food truck may not work out, logistically.

From personal experience... My husband and I have dined all around the world at some of the best restaurants. The kinds of restaurants with multiple Michelin stars and that make revered chefs' "last meal" lists. We live in a city touted by most as a foodie's destination. We eat out frequently. We've also dined at most of the table service restaurants in Disney over the last 20 years.

Have we had so-so meals? Every once in a while, yes, but that's been the exception rather than the rule and we'll never visit that place again. Most of the time the meals are what we expect: well above average for a theme park and fine by outside standards. Just look at Universal's overly processed and deep-fried offerings (HP aside) at the same price points and it's easy to see Disney is well ahead of the game. We don't go to the restaurants expecting to be blown away and are usually quite happy with our meal, especially when we factor in everything else like theming and convenience. We usually hit the signature and nicer table service restaurants.

I haven't eaten at a Disney quick service restaurant since childhood. Not a big burger / fries / chicken nugget eater.

As for the prices? It's rare for my husband and I to go out to eat at a "regular" restaurant for less than a $100. Nicer restaurants in our area generally in the $200-600 range for both of us. The menus are often limited to 4-5 entree options. For us, most of the Disney restaurants fall under the regular pricing for a sit-down restaurant.

The somewhat watered down "ethnic" offerings? I look at them as an introduction to the country rather than 100% authentic. If a person has never had Morrocan food before, then a taste may be enough to spark a passion. Is what's at the Animal Kingdom as authentic as what one would find at a true African Boma? Probably not. Most people won't make it to Africa so for them, it's a good introduction.

Are Disney's restaurants perfect? Not all of them. But there are plenty that are great given the circumstances.

Wow, you joined just to post this? It reads like it was written by a PR person...or maybe a bizarro katiebug. If you want to make up stories, you really should try to be more subtle about it.

Chi84

Premium Member
Wow, you joined just to post this? It reads like it was written by a PR person...or maybe a bizarro katiebug. If you want to make up stories, you really should try to be more subtle about it.
What is bizarre or looks made up in the post you're criticizing? The fact that someone else's experience doesn't line up with yours doesn't mean it isn't true - isn't the goal of posting on these boards to get a wide range of experiences that can inform others? I've reread the post and I don't know why it provoked such a strong reaction, especially toward a first time poster.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
What is bizarre or looks made up in the post you're criticizing? The fact that someone else's experience doesn't line up with yours doesn't mean it isn't true - isn't the goal of posting on these boards to get a wide range of experiences that can inform others? I've reread the post and I don't know why it provoked such a strong reaction, especially toward a first time poster.

Well, this part.

As for the prices? It's rare for my husband and I to go out to eat at a "regular" restaurant for less than a $100. Nicer restaurants in our area generally in the $200-600 range for both of us. The menus are often limited to 4-5 entree options.

I live right outside NYC, go into the crap hole often enough to eat, and let me tell you, these quoted prices are made up nonsense. Unless they are heading to NOBU and ordering the Wagyu on the regular. Sure that could be true, then again, how someone would be doing that, then in the same breath saying Disney Dining is good, is kind counter intuitive.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrMcDuck

With that being said - there is a lot of terrible fast food in the parks. Crazy Milkshakes with the donut or cake on top. funnel cakes, the list goes on.

Those crazy (and, IMO, disgusting) fast food and dessert items where they pile on as much and as many different things as they can are due to social media, especially Instagram. And Disney isn't responsible for this awful trend. It's just taking it for a ride. You will find places that do the same thing all over NYC, Boston, etc. and often with similar prices. It's all about grabbing attention and showing off, so what something looks like is much more important than how it tastes.

mdcpr

Well, this part.

I live right outside NYC, go into the crap hole often enough to eat, and let me tell you, these quoted prices are made up nonsense. Unless they are heading to NOBU and ordering the Wagyu on the regular. Sure that could be true, then again, how someone would be doing that, then in the same breath saying Disney Dining is good, is kind counter intuitive.

Maybe I am just a little sensitive to lying about about how much things cost after @eliza61nyc's display though.
Maybe wine is a food group for them. :) That can definitely bring the bill up.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

The newness of the account + the claims made do not pass the sniff test.

macefamily

I'm not a food snob, but I do cook a lot myself and appreciate something that is prepared well. We've been to the California Grill a few times and I was impressed with their marinated pork tenderloin. It wasn't what I wanted, but they were out of the bison steak and our server recommended it. On our next visit I ordered the grouper with a coconut/saffron sauce which I did not like. The Boathouse at Disney Springs has impressed my taste buds on several occasions. They have a great raw oyster selection. Loved the BBQ shrimp and grits. Brunch at Art Smith's Homecomin' cannot be denied. A Southern Mary bloody mary with fried green tomatoes and beef short rib hash. A great way to start the day !

Heppenheimer

Those crazy (and, IMO, disgusting) fast food and dessert items where they pile on as much and as many different things as they can are due to social media, especially Instagram. And Disney isn't responsible for this awful trend. It's just taking it for a ride. You will find places that do the same thing all over NYC, Boston, etc. and often with similar prices. It's all about grabbing attention and showing off, so what something looks like is much more important than how it tastes.
I can imagine the taste. Pure sugar. With hints of butter.

Last edited:

StarshipDisney

I have only ever had one (1) meal at Disney over all of my trips that I would say was really bad. That was at the Beach Club Market Place back in 2010 when the bread was hard as a rock and I basically threw that whole sandwich in the trash. But the track record is still very good. One bad experience has to be overlooked; but I will still never go back to Beach Club Market Place again.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
But what claims? I'm asking very honestly because I've read the post several times and I can't figure out which part of it you think is Katiebug bizarre or made up?

It reads like it was an advertisement for Disney's restaurants.

1. It excuses their prices by comparing to make-believe alternatives.
2. It randomly compares Disney food to Universal food. (Why?)
3. It randomly describes worldly travels. (Why?)
4. It discusses how they assume Disney creates menus and sources food items (what?)
5. It talks about often spending $600 on meals for two (WHAT?)
6. It's the very first post by a brand new account...

That was just a quick glance. It looks suspiciously like any other PR generated spin.

PixarPerfect

Chi84, thank you. :happy:

Ah, I do love people on the internet with their "not my experience therefore you're lying!" responses. The skipping over discussion into "hoity toity" style attacks is what has prevented me from posting here before.

The prices I posted are indeed accurate and the experiences very real. Restaurants like that may not be part everyone's lifestyle, but that doesn't mean they aren't a part of mine. We don't eat at Applebees, if that helps. Restaurants in the $200-600 range do exist and there are plenty of us who dine there, although, as I said earlier, we're mostly in the $100 range. Not all of those restaurants change their menus each day - I know because I often have favorites that are ordered at different visits. Not even half of the prices we've paid are alcohol (although my husband and I have been known to purchase bottles at Disney - we're on vacation!).

Two restaurants mentioned earlier seem to be favorites with my clients over the years: Morton's and Ruth's Chris. I'm not a fan of either, actually, and would gladly dine elsewhere. My last experience at Morton's ended up in a $600 bill for 4 people (my charge - ouch for what we received). 1 cocktail per person and I think 1 person had an additional glass of wine. The food was awful. So bad that had it been a different situation I would have sent it back. On our drive back it came out that everyone in our party had a bad experience. I've also had some of those sizzling Ruth's Chris steaks come out with such crispy edges that they require brute force to cut through. Blech.

Anyway, strawman discussion or not (gotta love it when people pull THAT out, lol), there is a premium added to every Disney meal merely because of the Park-related costs I mentioned earlier. Is it 10%, 20%, or 50%? Let's say it's 20%. So in this example that $40 entree is, in reality, only a $32 entree anywhere else before operational costs like staff, equipment, and utilities are added. That same $32 entree then has to be served millions of times in a restaurant open for at least lunch and dinner, daily. Most restaurants can only dream of the traffic Disney restaurants handle each day.

It would have been easy to stick with the counter service or the fast-dining chains that other parks, like Universal (my mention, 2nd time), use. I've always appreciated Disney's approach and variety as well as its experience. Do I really believe there's a giant duck wearing a pith helmet walking around African restaurants? Nope. But it's fun to see Donald at Tusker House. Or is the breakfast food at Cinderella's Castle really worth $50 each? Not really, but watching the princesses brag about their princes' heroics with my husband cracks me up, so totally worth it.

Our next Disney trip is in a few months for 8 days. I can't imagine eating the same park food for 8 days straight and appreciate Disney's efforts to make dining immersive and fun.

p.s. I don't / never have worked for Disney. Wish I did so that I could get the discount!

Raineman

When it comes to dining at WDW, it's more of a "gotta eat to keep me going" mindset for me-as long as the food isn't disgusting, I'm good with it. Refuel, and on to the next attraction, for the most part. There are items at certain restaurants that I do really like, but I have never eaten anything at WDW that I would describe as bad-a decent amount of "meh" items for sure, but, as I said, not important to the overall quality of my vacation. I should preface all of this by saying that the only QS locations we usually eat at are the resort food courts, as we eat breakfast at the resort and dinner in the parks (dinner always at a TS location) and snacks in between.

OneofThree

. . .though at one time Disney's restaurants did set the bar for quality.

This seems to be what escapes a lot of people. Prices have increased, and what you get for what you pay has decreased noticeably. For the most part, I feel. . . violated when I get the check at most Disney signature restaurants. With the resources they have, there's just no excuse. They continue to do it because I continue to pay. I do take some comfort in the fact that I'm not in that category of guests who describe every Disney meal and dish as "great!" or "amazing!".

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The best food at Disneyland can be found at the Napa Rose, Carthay Circle, Steakhouse 55, and Blue Bayou. Café Orleans is also pretty good but not at the same caliber of the other restaurants I mentioned.
Of course, I should have clarified to say we were doing QS almost entirely. We did get to experience Steakhouse 55 (albeit for brunch) and it was fantastic. The atmosphere in there was incredible and even the kids' entrees were very well prepared.

Really, my biggest complaint about the DLR QS dining was the same problem I had with their rides and queues. Almost everything was outdoors. That's fine when it's 78 and sunny, but our trip was 62 and rainy almost every single day, and there wasn't nearly enough shelter. The food wasn't piping hot to begin with and it got very cold very quickly in that weather.

Phonedave

Back in the 1980s, Akershus really was a relevation to me. The food was delicious and at the time, was relatively exotic for the typical US palate. The venison was the best I had eaten up until that point (have since eaten better in Belgium and Germany), and my meal that night ignited a love of smoked and pickled fish that I maintain to this day..

But perhaps the fact that I have to reach all the way back to the 80s to find a counter-example probably supports your general point. And several years ago, when I treated my nieces to a meal here, mainly because of the princess overlay, the actual meal had taken a precipitous decline since my last visit.

Akershus used to be a place I looked forward. While the food was not something new to me (My grandmother was born in Norway) it was food that was not readily available outside of our family's kitchens. Sadly most of that food has left the menu at Akershus. You can still get pickled fish there, but I suspect that is because you can get that in your local supermarket as well (at least around here you can, we have 3 or 4 brands on the shelf). You can also get smoked fish, but gravlax takes some searching for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom