Am I Alone... WDW Food is BAD

JustAFan

Wow. I have some really good meals at WDW. Via Napoli is great. La Hacienda is great. Crystal Palace is really good. No, I've never walked away from a meal saying that's the best steak I've ever had. I've had some pretty good steak. But that's not the determining factor in whether or not a meal was good or not. There's some pretty good food at WDW.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Wow. I have some really good meals at WDW. Via Napoli is great. La Hacienda is great. Crystal Palace is really good. No, I've never walked away from a meal saying that's the best steak I've ever had. I've had some pretty good steak. But that's not the determining factor in whether or not a meal was good or not. There's some pretty good food at WDW.

yeah but a few years back I dropped like 40 something bucks on a large pizza... that while good, it's pizza. However, pizza for me here at home is never a national chain like Papa Johns or Dominoes or anything like that. If that is pizza for you on an every day basis then Via Napoli will be the best pizza you've ever eaten.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
We need to know your top 5 best sit downs at WDW
We need to know your top counter service locations (if any) as WDW
And of course we need to know your top 5 worst sit downs at WDW
Ok... I'll give this a shot.

I'll also try and avoid offending people because Disney is smart and they cater to their average guests... sit on a bench for an hour and watch patrons, their habits, lifestyles, and size. They like bad, cheap, and hyper palatable foods. So part of my anger of food at Disney is that they often lean on the "quantity over quality" philosophy hence all the "all you can eat" offerings where everything is just blah but people just load plate after plate after plate. This isn't a Disney problem, its a western problem that is spreading a bit more into europe and in the east. Thats another conversation though.

Sit Downs:

Ambience: Cali Grill anywhere near firework times... perfect for a meal or a drink. The food has been hit or miss, again... no comment on value, it's is expensive but I've had some decent and some plain bad meals here. However, there is a price to pay for that experience and being on the Monorail it's fairly easy to squeeze it into the day.

San Angel Inn - as a latino there are certain dishes here that are truly authentic, their Mole is on point. However, many of the dishes cater to what Americans perceive as "mexican" food.

A hard one for me is Garden Grill... we go here all the time and a few times they had one of the best salads I've ever eaten, I kept asking the CM for another bowl and I must have eaten 3 to myself. Then at times the meat is cheap, cheap, cheap and smothered with sauces to hide this quality. Kind of a hit or miss joint, however, for families its amazing because of the character interactions.

Ohana, although I wouldn't return now because of my changed eating habits... to much of the meat is smothered in sugar, which I haven't had in a while. I once ate like 12 skewers of shrimp, they are amazing but not enough for me to want to plunk down 100 bucks for the family.

That's about it for places that I can rattle off as repeats...

Too many bad sit downs to list... but my perspective is on FOOD, not theming and experience, etc. I have bad luck because even in well themed places we always get "that" one bad table in the place and when ask to move are told they wait will be X more if we want to move and just suck it up.

I've actually thoroughly enjoyed Food and Wine in the past... treating the tents as a tapas meal. However, my work schedule almost makes going during those dates impossible now, which makes me sad.

Counter Service - none... they're all the same to me, most are on the same level depending on what you're in the mood for. I actually like the counter service places because they're self effacing, you know exactly what you're getting.

StarWarsGirl

I mean, I gotta say...nope.
20190830_155443.jpg

JustAFan

I agree that most, not quite all, quick service is essentially the same. Ohana is a fairly unique taste. My family didn't care much for the taste, but it was good quality food.

StarWarsGirl

I agree that most, not quite all, quick service is essentially the same. Ohana is a fairly unique taste. My family didn't care much for the taste, but it was good quality food.
There's the CS location that serve essentially the same things everywhere (Cosmic Ray's, Pizzafari, Rizzo's, Electric Umbrella). But then you can find some real gems, like Flame Tree, Sunshine Seasons, the location in Pandora, and basically World Showcase in it's entirety.

And then there's some TS locations that have wowed me. Via Nappoli and Naples (the DL counterpart) have to absolute best lasagna I've ever had. I just went to Food and Wine for the first time and had some amazing dishes.

It just all depends.

Benjamin_Nicholas

Two previously frozen scallops, parsnip purée? Wine in a plastic cup...

64 dollars.

Sounds awesome

And therein lies the brilliance of how Disney profits from Food & Wine.

They convince people that they're eating 'around the world' without leaving the comfort of home. Folks will spend a ton of dough when they're in the moment and think they're having an authentic experience.

JIMINYCR

Ive had some amazing meals at WDW that were up to par with any meal Ive had at an at home upscale restaurant and some that failed miserably. I cant say across the board Disney food is BAD. When I go to WDW I am very particular by beforehand watching, reading, listening to all the reviews I can on all the restaurants and the new menu items. Sometimes I am happy, pleasantly surprised and sometimes let down. Thats how it goes on any vacation when you dine at a variety of restaurants. Just because its Disney doesnt mean its always going to be fabulous. Sometimes it depends on the chef and sometimes its been a bad night. But youll get that unknown results in any restaurant in any region of the country on any night. Overall my WDW dining history has been wonderful with a few glitches.

CAV

I mean that depends... where are you eating?? Honestly the food in la hacienda de san angel is some of the best Mexican food ive ever had outside of mexico ..(and I am mexican)

Granted, it may have changed since 2016 but it was still dope AF then
I had a different experience. In fact, what they listed on the menu as chorizo was nothing more than a heated slim jim.

CAV

We used to view Disney dining as an attraction all unto itself. It's been at least a decade and a half since this has been true. What was once an attraction is something to be endured. Menus are limited - 5 maybe 6 entrees per table service. Its basically the same food with a different "themed" name.

We used to be blown away by Le Cellier; it's just ok, now.

The last time we went to California Grill, duck confit was put on our plate even though it was not on the menu. Duck confit! You have to have the palate for that. The bad thing was that we were treating a friend on her birthday who recently moved to Florida.

There are some good quick service. Fish and chips, flame tree, brats in Germany, poutine in Canada.

For the most part, especially for the price, Disney dining does not excite us.

PixarPerfect

This discussion is fascinating. I've long watched this site and it's the first that's prompted me to post.

Eating at a Disney restaurant is not a requirement for attending one of the Parks. If you dislike the food or find it overpriced, pack in your own meals. Eat before you hit the Park of choice and leave and dine elsewhere. Problem solved.

Wait... You want convenience and stellar food at non-Park prices? That's never going to happen as there are other things that are bundled into that entree's price. The theming in the restaurant itself? That's not cheap. Prime real estate within the Park and all of the extras that come with maintaining a place catering to volumes 7 days a week within a constrained system? Also not cheap. At Disney, the chef isn't going down to the farmer's market and seeing what's fresh that day. Each restaurant has a carefully scrutinized menu and long-planned sourcing process that (I'd expect) requires more than a few approvals. Fresh scallops at a Disney food truck may not work out, logistically.

From personal experience... My husband and I have dined all around the world at some of the best restaurants. The kinds of restaurants with multiple Michelin stars and that make revered chefs' "last meal" lists. We live in a city touted by most as a foodie's destination. We eat out frequently. We've also dined at most of the table service restaurants in Disney over the last 20 years.

Have we had so-so meals? Every once in a while, yes, but that's been the exception rather than the rule and we'll never visit that place again. Most of the time the meals are what we expect: well above average for a theme park and fine by outside standards. Just look at Universal's overly processed and deep-fried offerings (HP aside) at the same price points and it's easy to see Disney is well ahead of the game. We don't go to the restaurants expecting to be blown away and are usually quite happy with our meal, especially when we factor in everything else like theming and convenience. We usually hit the signature and nicer table service restaurants.

I haven't eaten at a Disney quick service restaurant since childhood. Not a big burger / fries / chicken nugget eater.

As for the prices? It's rare for my husband and I to go out to eat at a "regular" restaurant for less than a $100. Nicer restaurants in our area generally in the $200-600 range for both of us. The menus are often limited to 4-5 entree options. For us, most of the Disney restaurants fall under the regular pricing for a sit-down restaurant.

The somewhat watered down "ethnic" offerings? I look at them as an introduction to the country rather than 100% authentic. If a person has never had Morrocan food before, then a taste may be enough to spark a passion. Is what's at the Animal Kingdom as authentic as what one would find at a true African Boma? Probably not. Most people won't make it to Africa so for them, it's a good introduction.

Are Disney's restaurants perfect? Not all of them. But there are plenty that are great given the circumstances.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Two previously frozen scallops, parsnip purée? Wine in a plastic cup...

64 dollars.

Sounds awesome

Wait, that thing was $64 dollars? No way. I've eaten a lot at F&W and am floored if that's the case.

This discussion is fascinating. I've long watched this site and it's the first that's prompted me to post.

Eating at a Disney restaurant is not a requirement for attending one of the Parks. If you dislike the food or find it overpriced, pack in your own meals. Eat before you hit the Park of choice and leave and dine elsewhere. Problem solved.

Wait... You want convenience and stellar food at non-Park prices? That's never going to happen as there are other things that are bundled into that entree's price. The theming in the restaurant itself? That's not cheap. Prime real estate within the Park and all of the extras that come with maintaining a place catering to volumes 7 days a week within a constrained system? Also not cheap. At Disney, the chef isn't going down to the farmer's market and seeing what's fresh that day. Each restaurant has a carefully scrutinized menu and long-planned sourcing process that (I'd expect) requires more than a few approvals. Fresh scallops at a Disney food truck may not work out, logistically.

From personal experience... My husband and I have dined all around the world at some of the best restaurants. The kinds of restaurants with multiple Michelin stars and that make revered chefs' "last meal" lists. We live in a city touted by most as a foodie's destination. We eat out frequently. We've also dined at most of the table service restaurants in Disney over the last 20 years.

Have we had so-so meals? Every once in a while, yes, but that's been the exception rather than the rule and we'll never visit that place again. Most of the time the meals are what we expect: well above average for a theme park and fine by outside standards. Just look at Universal's overly processed and deep-fried offerings (HP aside) at the same price points and it's easy to see Disney is well ahead of the game. We don't go to the restaurants expecting to be blown away and are usually quite happy with our meal, especially when we factor in everything else like theming and convenience. We usually hit the signature and nicer table service restaurants.

I haven't eaten at a Disney quick service restaurant since childhood. Not a big burger / fries / chicken nugget eater.

As for the prices? It's rare for my husband and I to go out to eat at a "regular" restaurant for less than a $100. Nicer restaurants in our area generally in the $200-600 range for both of us. The menus are often limited to 4-5 entree options. For us, most of the Disney restaurants fall under the regular pricing for a sit-down restaurant.

The somewhat watered down "ethnic" offerings? I look at them as an introduction to the country rather than 100% authentic. If a person has never had Morrocan food before, then a taste may be enough to spark a passion. Is what's at the Animal Kingdom as authentic as what one would find at a true African Boma? Probably not. Most people won't make it to Africa so for them, it's a good introduction.

Are Disney's restaurants perfect? Not all of them. But there are plenty that are great given the circumstances.

All really good points.

I will say this as I've spent my 20s in Disney World (DLR and TDR as well), that I've had some truly amazing meals at WDW. Not usually at the parks (unless it's an event like F&W where I sign up for one of their specialty lunches/dinners), but more so at the hotels. Some of the food I've had there is top notch.

Can I go to a restaurant in the area (DFW) I live in now and get good meals? Of course and those are truly jaw dropping meals (I haven't had to spend $200-$600 for some of those restaurants like you have).

But, when you think about the experience you get at WDW, it can help balance out those QS or TS meals. Something like 50s Prime Time or Sci-Fi Dine-In are great examples of good food that are elevated by an amazing experience and ambience.

CAV

You win the strawman argument of the day.

No one said eating at a Disney restaurant is a requirement for attending the park.
No one said they wanted stellar food at non theme park prices.
No one asked for fresh sea scallops from a food truck.
No one compared Universal fast food to Disney table service.
No one said they expected "to be blown away" with every meal.
Your hoity toity $200-$600 restaurants have 3-5 entrees because it's a new menu every day based on what the chef was able to source.
No one asked for perfect restaurants.

Everyone gets it; you're going to pay more at a theme park, in general, and at Disney, specifically. The difference of opinion is whether that price premium has a reasonable value attached to it. For a lot of people, that answer is a resounding no.

With all things Disney, the focus has changed from offering a superior, unmatched experience to squeezing every last penny out of each revenue stream. Disney dining is no exception.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom