Alternatives to the dreaded pack?

Ember

So my 7 year old wants to carry his own stuff around the parks (his "grown-up" stuff aka his school id, his Disney dollars, and whatever change or rocks he finds lol). He's too young to be responsible for a wallet, but I don't really dig packs (no offense to those that do). Anyone know of any good alternatives for kids? It needs to be something he can't easily lose.

Ember

Original Poster
I think that wrist wallet is a great idea, but I'd recommend trying to find one that isn't fleece. It'll be fine at first, but it's eventually going to get warm, sweaty and irritating. Once that happens, good luck keeping it on him. I did a quick Google shopping search for "wrist wallet" and found a bunch of options, all of which seem to be reasonably priced. You shouldn't be hurting for selection.
I got one from amazon made from cotton so hopefully it won't irritate him. I showed him and he is so excited that he gets to carry his own money around. And his id. Not sure why he thinks he needs that, but I guess it makes him feel grown-up because Mom and Dad have to show their ids. Love that kid.

Upvote 0

KCheatle

5030-433_COA00-ALT-BODYBACK_view1_720x720.jpg
This is what I have. I was thinking for a kid something like this nylon string backpack:

Drawstring-Backpack-With-210-D-14596.jpg

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I wear a pack for every trip and honestly, could not possibly care less how it looks. It's not about being a fashion statement for me. It's about holding all of my room keys, tickets, money, phone etc. in one place where they're all safe.

Besides, if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

fannypack+stone-cold-steve-austin.jpg

Upvote 0

NeedMoreMickey

That's why I wanted to get him something small that can be strapped to him like the wrist wallet. I want to teach him to be responsible for his own stuff. He has been doing chores to earn his Disney dollars and he really wanted a wallet to put them in, but I know he would lose it.
Forget what I said. I agree with you teaching him to be responsible. Guess I've been around to many of my friends who give their kids everything without earning it. Have a good trip.

Upvote 0

luv

You've received every idea I can think up.

Pockets for my peeps! Not to help or teach them...I'm selfish and don't want to end up carrying it! I do offer to hold money and I let them know that if they lose it, I won't replace it. Most kids ask me to hold it.

I'm a pack fan for me, especially at Uni. If you carry a bag at Uni, you are forever having to stow stuff in the lockers.

I'm too old to be a fashion plate, anyway, so I can risk the dreaded pack!!

Upvote 0

Hot Lava

I wear a pack for every trip and honestly, could not possibly care less how it looks. It's not about being a fashion statement for me. It's about holding all of my room keys, tickets, money, phone etc. in one place where they're all safe.

Besides, if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

About 20 years ago ago, I dated a policeman. When he was off duty (and out of uniform), he used to carry a gun in a pack. It still looked awful, but I understood the need for it.

Upvote 0

tnemgif

I've found that Camera sling bags actually make great day bags. They're padded/insulated, small, comfortable, and they're designed to be accessed in a moment's notice (without taking it off). Plus, lots of pockets for all your little guy's knickknacks. You can find them on Amazon for 20-30 bucks.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

I was going to suggest something like my wallet on a string. It looks kind of like this one...
Wallet-On-A-String-Open-Black-Frost.jpg

...but mine has a slightly longer "string" and is a bit smaller/more square. It also has a zip pocket on the front so I can put a few small things in there. I can also move the straps so it can be worn like a lanyard if I so choose. Mine is light and can be comfortably be worn over or under a shirt. The ones we got just look like travel gear...i.e. unisex...so DH is fine wearing his as well.

Here are a few other examples...

I've been looking into mini backpacks for my girls...but just not sure if I want to trust them with stuff yet...especially since a backpack is easier for them to take off and leave behind.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

God, I wish I had bought more of those when they were popular! I love them now.

I bought ours about 13 years ago for a trip to Europe. It kept my passport, $, other cards, and a few small trinkets safe while touring. DH thought I was crazy for getting them, but we still use them...so, I guess not so crazy now! ;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom