All things Universal Studios Hollywood

PiratesMansion

Perhaps it will be different from on-ride, but my impression is that while the AA is cool and lifelike, the impact of the final confrontation with T-Rex is greatly diminished.

Maybe the hope is that you'll be looking to the left at the shiny new animatronic only to be surprised by the T-Rex, but at least in this video, it almost looks like the Rex and the new dino, by the end of the scene, are attacking each other rather than you, the rider, who almost incidentally goes down the final drop at that point. That's a net negative, IMO. Furthermore, new dino isn't positioned to be the centerpiece of the scene, because the T-Rex is still there, and still the same exact T-Rex that has been there for more than 20 years.

There was a simplicity and directness to the original T-Rex attack that is now compromised, and as an additional con, we are less involved in what's happening than before. It's the modern industry's desire to overcomplicate on full display.

BayouShack

Not a fan of the new beginning aquarium scene, but the rest of the ride makes up for that. That finale is amazing! And I even caught the little dinosaur before the fight “walking.” Overall, it looks like a net improvement.

CaptinEO

Watching that video its just odd. The new animatronic big dinosaur is great but its just like him and the T Rex are fighting and then you drop?

The original had a count down and you were trying to evacuate when the T Rex directly attacks you. There was way more tension and excitement in the first ride.

They took out the giant opening scene with the dinosaurs? What a downgrade.

waltography

Wow! Glad to see they added a lot more to the Predator Cove area; it feels like a proper sequel to the original Jurassic Park ride now.

I'm still not sold on the aquarium bit - aside from the weird spacemaking issues, nothing beats the moment the gates open and you have this great vista with the brachiosaurus towering over you. But the rest of the ride feels like a plus.

Giss Neric

Speaking solely on the finale part, I think it's better than the original. Yes, the intensity of the countdown before the drop is still my favorite but this is way better in execution. Much more menacing.

Bravo to Universal that they actually listened to the criticisms.

Californian Elitist

Jurassic Park was great, but it was also incredibly dated. Although I never had any issues with its datedness, it’s at least nice to see it more modern.

I haven’t watched an entire ride through. I’ll see it in person when I visit this year.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Watching that video its just odd. The new animatronic big dinosaur is great but its just like him and the T Rex are fighting and then you drop?

The original had a count down and you were trying to evacuate when the T Rex directly attacks you. There was way more tension and excitement in the first ride.

They took out the giant opening scene with the dinosaurs? What a downgrade.
Not only that but the story here especially the end makes no sense.

The Original and Superior Jurassic Park: The Ride went something like this:

-you enter the park through the classic gate, hear the music and see the giant dinos and one lifts its head into the air
instantly creating a sense of awe and wonder and amazement.

-you then travel by the stegos and see dinos fighting over a popcorn bucket creating a sense of fun

- you see a path up ahead but a dino pops up re-directing your boat off course to a back area you were not meant to travel to.

-You pass by the raptor enclosure and see some have escaped while others fight each other or attack something in the enclosure as the branches swing wildly. Indicating the dinosaurs have escaped.

-You see a Dilophosaurus eating a possible person in a another boat similar to yours then some come out and spray at you. You hear the roar of a t-rex so you know one of them has escaped too and you see a car attacked by it thrown of a ledge and falls in the water next to you.

-In a last ditch effort to rescue you you go into a maintenance building for an emergency evacuation. Raptors then come out at you. Then the T-rex is after you. pokes its head through the ceiling coming down to eat you.

- then there is a count down until toxic gas fills the place raising the tension immensely and then the t-rex comes at you but you are able to escape at the nick of time . At the end you a Dilophosaurus has survived. PERFECTION.

Now let's look at how the story for Jurassic World makes no sense even with the update:

-You enter not by inviting gates but by cold steel doors that open up to reveal you are entering an aquarium containing a Mosasaurus that literally makes no sense. so the water for the tank is on the left and right side of you, with water spraying you over the top. so you are made to think you are under water but the Mosasaurus swims under you so you think it is a big tank but straight ahead is some rocks and a waterfall that leads you to be outside which makes no sense if you are under water with the Mosasaurus. and you look back and there is clearly no tank. and the Mosasaurus starts to break the glass right away. In Jurassic Park the Ride we got to see the beauty of the animals before they tried to escape and kill you to set the mood, but here we are in danger right away which is dumb. then ride is the same more or less until Predator Cover. When the dino pops up he does not cause your boat to go off court he just pops up and you are in predator cove which is part of the tour so that part has no impact like the original ride.

-Predator Cove: before the update - we see plastic and fake looking Pteranodons with blood everywhere, and we have no idea where they came from or how they got out unlike the original ride which clearly lets you know you are in danger and dangerous dinos are escaping at once. The raptor part is the same. We see busted gate that the indominus rex was in but we are coming after the action. we see just claw marks and bryce dallas howard telling us who she is like we should know her character for some reason. its a looong stretch of nothing happening.
After the update- The Pteranodons and blood are gone and we see a broken gyrosphere and we got the fighting dinos back and before we head to T-Rex Kingdom the indominus rex pops out indicating he is after us and hunting us which is the one improvement I like. from here the ride makes less sense. because its basically the same in both version of Jurassic World the Ride.

-T-Rex Kingdom: Ok it is obvious we are supposed to go through here as part of the normal tour but it starts off confusing. We see a containment cage that I guess is supposed to hold a t-rex but it is torn apart. Why is this here??? Did the Indo Rex mess it up? it can't be because now he is behind us, and if he is behind us who knocked down the t-rex sign??? Was there a T-Rex in there? If so why?? The park is open because we are on the tour , so is a full t-rex supposed to be caged up out front of the kingdom as part of the tour?? Why is the tour even continuing?? In the original ride we only go to the building as a way to perform a emergency exit. So going through the kingdom and going down a waterfall is part of the tour normally?? um... ok.

-As we make our way inside we see peter quill on tv just so he can get a paycheck. then we have less raptors attack us, just one actually which is sad. then we enter the kingdom properly and the indo rex attacks from the ceiling which I am ok with. but then we enter a tropical/foresty world in the kingdom that has noooo gates or fences. Ummm so are t-rex's just allowed to eat riders as part of the normal tour when things have not gone wonky because how are riders protected otherwise???? and I guess the other Dinos just like haning out in there because then there are Dilophosaurus' and Blue the RAPTOR is there for no reason and does not do anything but roar. then in both versions we get the indo rex on the side not even trying to attack us then the t-rex comes out and they dont even really battle. they just roar and awkwardly look at each other. I mean does the t-rex even look at the indo rex? because its the same AA from 20 years ago that just faces forward. and he still comes out too early in both versions. there is no build up or tension in the finale, no countdown. and even no sense of danger becaue the t-rex and indo rex don't pay attention to us.

It is a far inferior ride and they should have kept JURASSIC PARK: THE RIDE and made a new ride for Jurassic World or torn down Jurassic Park the Ride and start a new ride just for Jurassic World

Last edited:

CaptinEO

Not only that but the story here especially the end makes no sense.

The Original and Superior Jurassic Park: The Ride went something like this:

-you enter the park through the classic gate, hear the music and see the giant dinos and one lifts its head into the air
instantly creating a sense of awe and wonder and amazement.

-you then travel by the stegos and see dinos fighting over a popcorn bucket creating a sense of fun

- you see a path up ahead but a dino pops up re-directing your boat off course to a back area you were not meant to travel to.

-You pass by the raptor enclosure and see some have escaped while others fight each other or attack something in the enclosure as the branches swing wildly. Indicating the dinosaurs have escaped.

-You see a Dilophosaurus eating a possible person in a another boat similar to yours then some come out and spray at you. You hear the roar of a t-rex so you know one of them has escaped too and you see a car attacked by it thrown of a ledge and falls in the water next to you.

-In a last ditch effort to rescue you you go into a maintenance building to for a emergency evacuation. Raptors then come out at you. Then the T-rex is after you. pokes its head through the ceiling coming down to eat you.

- then there is a count down until toxic gas fills the place raising the tension immensely and then the t-rex comes at you but you are able to escape at the nick of time . At the end you a Dilophosaurus has survived. PERFECTION.

Now let's look at how the story for Jurassic World makes no sense even with the update:

-You enter not by inviting gates but by cold steel doors that open up to reveal you are entering an aquarium containing a Mosasaurus that literally makes no sense. so the water for the tank is on the left and right side of you, with water spraying you over the top. so you are made to think you are under water but the Mosasaurus swims under you so you think it is a big tank but straight ahead is some rocks and a waterfall that leads you to be outside which makes no sense if you are under water with the Mosasaurus. and you look back and there is clearly no tank. and the Mosasaurus starts to break the glass right away. In Jurassic Park the Ride we got to see the beauty of the animals before they tried to escape and kill you to set the mood, but here we are in danger right away which is dumb. then ride is the same more or less until Predator Cover. When the dino pops up he does not cause your boat to go off court he just pops up and you are in predator cove which is part of the tour so that part has no impact like the original ride.

-Predator Cove: before the update - we see plastic and fake looking Pteranodons with blood everywhere, and we have no idea where they came from or how they got out unlike the original ride which clearly lets you know you are in danger and dangerous dinos are escaping at once. The raptor part is the same. We see busted gate that the indominus rex was in but we are coming after the action. we see just claw marks and bryce dallas howard telling us who she is like we should know her character for some reason. its a looong stretch of nothing happening.
After the update- The Pteranodons and blood are gone and we see a broken gyrosphere and we got the fighting dinos back and before we head to T-Rex Kingdom the indominus rex pops out indicating he is after us and hunting us which is the one improvement I like. from here the ride makes less sense. because its basically the same in both version of Jurassic World the Ride.

-T-Rex Kingdom: Ok it is obvious we are supposed to go through here as part of the normal tour but it starts off confusing. We see a containment cage that I guess is supposed to hold a t-rex but it is torn apart. Why is this here??? Did the Indo Rex mess it up? it can't be because now he is behind us, and if he is behind us who knocked down the t-rex sign??? Was there a T-Rex in there? If so why?? The park is open because we are on the tour , so is a full t-rex supposed to be caged up out front of the kingdom as part of the tour?? Why is the tour even continuing?? In the original ride we only go to the building as a way to perform a emergency exit. So going through the kingdom and going down a waterfall is part of the tour normally?? um... ok.

-As we make our way inside we see peter quill on tv just so he can get a paycheck. then we have less raptors attack us, just one actually which is sad. then we enter the kingdom properly and the indo rex attacks from the ceiling which I am ok with. but then we enter a tropical/foresty world in the kingdom that has noooo gates or fences. Ummm so are t-rex's just allowed to eat riders as part of the normal tour when things have not gone wonky because how are riders protected otherwise???? and I guess the other Dinos just like haning out in there because then there are Dilophosaurus' and Blue the RAPTOR is there for no reason and does not do anything but roar. then in both versions we get the indo rex on the side not even trying to attack us then the t-rex comes out and they dont even really battle. they just roar and awkwardly look at each other. I mean does the t-rex even look at the indo rex? because its the same AA from 20 years ago that just faces forward. and he still comes out too early in both versions. there is no build up or tension in the finale, no countdown. and even no sense of danger becaue the t-rex and indo rex don't pay attention to us.

It is a far inferior ride and they should have kept JURASSIC PARK: THE RIDE and made a new ride for Jurassic World or torn down Jurassic Park the Ride and start a new ride just for Jurassic World
Your post just so clearly explained exactly what's missing from this new version.

Just reading about the old attraction made me teary eyed, knowing that it's gone forever (at least in California). That opening scene with the music is so beautiful.

Like you said there was a real sense of danger, you actually felt like you were witnessing a great themepark tour ride that goes wrong. I also dont get why Chris Pratt had to be all over the lift hill, which in the original is scary, this time theres little to nothing threatening.

What a bummer.

The countdown with the fog and the surprise T Rex reveal was so good in the original. The T Rex is scary because hes NOT supposed to be in that building. When youre in a dinosaur forest and see more dinosaurs it's not threatening at all. Lets hope it stays original in Florida at least.

On the InsideUniversal boards when this redo was announced in 2017 I remember bringing up how I was worried they'd ruin it.

Everyone was so upset with the bad maitenance Jurassic Park recieved that they were all on board for a retheme if it meant the ride would be maintained better. Sad state of affairs, I feel Splash gets the same treatment where the park gives up on it so the fans do too.

JP and Splash are my favorite rides of all time. I love water rides and dark rides and those are the best. I hope at least Florida can keep both the original rides.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

I looked at 6:30 am this morning and annual passes were available... Then they weren't. I had them in my cart just to see what they would cost. Got all the way to the last screen before I decided I didn't want to buy they right now. A minute later I got a message saying my cart had been cleared.
Looks like passes arent for sale but on twitter USH says that tickets can be upgraded to passes. Were you able to see the options/prices?

Tamandua

Looks like passes arent for sale but on twitter USH says that tickets can be upgraded to passes. Were you able to see the options/prices?
I couldn't see what the benefits of the passes were. I think it was just the gold and silver. I want to say the gold was $250. I'm not 100% sure. Do any of them come with parking?

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I couldn't see what the benefits of the passes were. I think it was just the gold and silver. I want to say the gold was $250. I'm not 100% sure. Do any of them come with parking?

I think the Gold came with parking. And there are higher levels, that come with Universal Express (FotL).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom