All things Universal Studios Hollywood

PiratesMansion

This is a super late response because I kept away from spoilers until I could go to the park. I actually think the story is pretty strong. In the finales both the original Jurassic Park movie, and Jurassic World movie, a T-Rex fights off another dino, letting the main characters escape. So really, in the ride, the position has changed, the Indominus is the one chasing us instead of the T-Rex, it catches up to us, almost gets us, but the T-Rex distracts it at the last second and we escape. It's quite a clever way to change an animatronic that was attacking us to defending us.
But because of the angle of the new dino is a bit off to the side, as opposed to dead center, I still don't think it's staged as effectively.

I'm glad people like it. I just feel like we're ultimately less directly involved than before, even incidental to the new dino fight, and that's a step backwards.

Professortango1

But because of the angle of the new dino is a bit off to the side, as opposed to dead center, I still don't think it's staged as effectively.

I'm glad people like it. I just feel like we're ultimately less directly involved than before, even incidental to the new dino fight, and that's a step backwards.

Agreed, the drop used to feel like we were narrowly escaping. Now it feels like we are trying to side step away from a dino fight and accidentally stepping off a waterfall. If that fight sequence took place one scene earlier and the ride still ended with us going off the falls to avoid a set of hungry jaws, that would be a great few sequences. But the current ending is really good tech but muddied storytelling. That's also how I would describe most of the updates to the ride.

DavidDL

Man, fans are a fickle bunch to please. I don't like every change with the updated version, for sure.

But I think it's important to point out in the version of the ride story: T-Rex Kingdom is always our intended destination. There is nothing "accidental" about us going over the waterfall. That is a Jurassic Park (1996) story beat. In the original version of the ride, we are knocked off course and into a maintenance-type building we're not supposed to be in. If anything, us "accidentally" going over a waterfall applies more to the original attraction than it does to JW and frankly, raises some questions about why the maintenance building in the original incarnation happened to have a boat ride path through it and waterfall that just happens to perfectly lead us to the unload area.

In JW, the final show building is an intended exhibit. We see it on the map to our left just before we enter the Mosasaurus aquarium. We're always meant to go over it. It's part of the "JW ride" we're getting on and not part of a serious of unfortunate events. -and using basic understanding of Zoos, we wouldn't have been in any mortal danger seeing the Rex in here, normally. Lots of Zoos use hidden techniques to keep animals away from certain areas so we just have to go with the flow that had it not been for the power/containment failure, our trip through T-Rex Kingdom would have been awesome but otherwise non-life threatening.

I'm also not entirely sure I follow the criticism of us being "less involved" than before. This is especially frustrating to hear because for some folks and some attractions, they want us to be "less involved" to begin with. Some folks cite rides like Pirates as perfect examples of us simply bearing witness to events on attractions while saying stuff like Rise of the Resistance tries too hard to involve us in it's storyline.

Folks are never going to be totally happy. You can't please everyone. But, like, c'mon, let's look at things critically here:

In both JP and JW, the basic premise of the attraction is virtually identical. We are guests of JP/JW and we're boarding a boat ride in JP/JW to see dinosaurs (duh). We're "meant" to be observers while we're spoken to by pre-recorded spiels explaining the habitats we're visiting.

Both rides have this basic premise. Let's look at the dinosaurs who actively "interact" or "attack" us in JP:

Ultrasaur Lagoon: none, we're bystanders
Stegosaur Springs: none, we're bystanders
Hadosaur Cove: 1 Parasaurolophus who knocks us off course
Raptor Containment Area: 2 Dilophosaurus who attack us just before the final lift
Maintenance Area: 2 Raptors on the lift (when working), 1 Rex head and the final Rex attack

JW has nearly an identical amount: Mosasaurus tries to charge us in the aquarium, Parasaruolophus no longer accidentally "attacks" us but (as the narration explains), interacts by "playing" with us in the water near our boat, one Raptor remains on the lift, the 2 Dilophosaurus' attack us in T-Rex Kingdom, we're attempted to be attacked by the Indominus twice, once where the old Rex head was and once more for the final figure before Rexy comes out to distract. At worst we are -1 Raptor in terms of interaction but still have the Rex figure which, during some cycles, does aim for Guests as the boat drops.

When the cycles are timed correctly, I think the new finale works very well. Our attention is on the Indominus as it is about to attack us, we're not even focused on the waterfall. It's staging was really one of the only choices they had to hide whatever system keeps it running from Guests and gets it suitably close to the riders. It's also important to note that the Indominus is an invader. It doesn't care about staging or where things are "supposed to be" to feel more natural. It goes wherever it wants, when it wants to because it doesn't even know what it is. It is, by it's very existence, unsettling and un-natural.

Then, the Rex emerges suddenly and confronts the Indominus. If you watch them, as we're intended to do, they are very obviously entering a confrontation and get close enough to make it believable (when things are on the correct timing for boat cycles). But before they get too close, suddenly we're already on our way down the drop and we're left with our imagination to fill in what's likely happening just after we barely escaped.

I think that's fine. They weren't about to be able to get two giant figures to collide every 20 seconds without even more breakdowns or without doing it with screens. Less is more here and the inferences work just fine, to me.

Like I said, the new update isn't perfect. I'm still not totally sold on Predator Cove or a few other elements of the attraction. But the main storyline and interactions with the animals are more or less fine, or at least equal to what was there before.

I don't think it's quite as polished a product as what could have been (due to them rushing it) so I'll concede that much, at least. But poor JP was in a state of neglect. In a perfect world, JP would have been fully restored to it's original glory with new, impressive figures like the Indominus. But when you compare how things were falling apart with JP in the final years of it's life to what we've been given now: it's an overall plus. If they can keep it maintained.

Last edited:

wityblack

That depends on the sense of humor you have. 🤣

A very current example of how America kicks butt is not just with how many Universal Studios we have (2!), but with Covid-19 vaccinations. We lead the world with this stuff, behind Israel.

The European Union is an incompetent mess, and Canada is a nightmare of low single digits and literally months behind the USA.

Australia, New Zealand, and Japan have barely started. And Japan has to host an Olympics in three months!

Israel = 55.3% Fully Vaccinated
United States = 27.0% Fully Vaccinated
United Kingdom = 16.8% Fully Vaccinated
European Union = 7.2% Fully Vaccinated
Mexico = 3.5% Fully Vaccinated
Canada = 2.2% Fully Vaccinated
Japan = 0.7% Fully Vaccinated
New Zealand = 0.6% Fully Vaccinated
Australia = 0.1% Fully Vaccinated

To be fair, Australia barely needs it. But we are kicking butt with this, and it gives me hope that we can bring some entertainment back to our parks sooner than later.

PiratesMansion

Man, fans are a fickle bunch to please. I don't like every change with the updated version, for sure.

But I think it's important to point out in the version of the ride story: T-Rex Kingdom is always our intended destination. There is nothing "accidental" about us going over the waterfall. That is a Jurassic Park (1996) story beat. In the original version of the ride, we are knocked off course and into a maintenance-type building we're not supposed to be in. If anything, us "accidentally" going over a waterfall applies more to the original attraction than it does to JW and frankly, raises some questions about why the maintenance building in the original incarnation happened to have a boat ride path through it and waterfall that just happens to perfectly lead us to the unload area.

In JW, the final show building is an intended exhibit. We see it on the map to our left just before we enter the Mosasaurus aquarium. We're always meant to go over it. It's part of the "JW ride" we're getting on and not part of a serious of unfortunate events. -and using basic understanding of Zoos, we wouldn't have been in any mortal danger seeing the Rex in here, normally. Lots of Zoos use hidden techniques to keep animals away from certain areas so we just have to go with the flow that had it not been for the power/containment failure, our trip through T-Rex Kingdom would have been awesome but otherwise non-life threatening.

I'm also not entirely sure I follow the criticism of us being "less involved" than before. This is especially frustrating to hear because for some folks and some attractions, they want us to be "less involved" to begin with. Some folks cite rides like Pirates as perfect examples of us simply bearing witness to events on attractions while saying stuff like Rise of the Resistance tries too hard to involve us in it's storyline.

Folks are never going to be totally happy. You can't please everyone. But, like, c'mon, let's look at things critically here:

In both JP and JW, the basic premise of the attraction is virtually identical. We are guests of JP/JW and we're boarding a boat ride in JP/JW to see dinosaurs (duh). We're "meant" to be observers while we're spoken to by pre-recorded spiels explaining the habitats we're visiting.

Both rides have this basic premise. Let's look at the dinosaurs who actively "interact" or "attack" us in JP:

Raptor Containment Area: 2 Dilophosaurus who attack us just before the final lift
Maintenance Area: 2 Raptors on the lift (when working), 1 Rex head and the final Rex attack

JW has nearly an identical amount: Mosasaurus tries to charge us in the aquarium, Parasaruolophus no longer accidentally "attacks" us but (as the narration explains), interacts by "playing" with us in the water near our boat, one Raptor remains on the lift, the 2 Dilophosaurus' attack us in T-Rex Kingdom, we're attempted to be attacked by the Indominus twice, once where the old Rex head was and once more for the final figure before Rexy comes out to distract. At worst we are -1 Raptor in terms of interaction but still have the Rex figure which, during some cycles, does aim for Guests as the boat drops.

When the cycles are timed correctly, I think the new finale works very well. Our attention is on the Indominus as it is about to attack us, we're not even focused on the waterfall. It's staging was really one of the only choices they had to hide whatever system keeps it running from Guests and gets it suitably close to the riders. It's also important to note that the Indominus is an invader. It doesn't care about staging or where things are "supposed to be" to feel more natural. It goes wherever it wants, when it wants to because it doesn't even know what it is. It is, by it's very existence, unsettling and un-natural.

Then, the Rex emerges suddenly and confronts the Indominus. If you watch them, as we're intended to do, they are very obviously entering a confrontation and get close enough to make it believable (when things are on the correct timing for boat cycles). But before they get too close, suddenly we're already on our way down the drop and we're left with our imagination to fill in what's likely happening just after we barely escaped.

I think that's fine. They weren't about to be able to get two giant figures to collide every 20 seconds without even more breakdowns or without doing it with screens. Less is more here and the inferences work just fine, to me.

Like I said, the new update isn't perfect. I'm still not totally sold on Predator Cove or a few other elements of the attraction. But the main storyline and interactions with the animals are more or less fine, or at least equal to what was there before.

I don't think it's quite as polished a product as what could have been (due to them rushing it) so I'll concede that much, at least. But poor JP was in a state of neglect. In a perfect world, JP would have been fully restored to it's original glory with new, impressive figures like the Indominus. But when you compare how things were falling apart with JP in the final years of it's life to what we've been given now: it's an overall plus. If they can keep it maintained.
I still think the final visual of the T-Rex coming directly at us, straight on, from Jurassic Park is more powerful than the current setup, which has an admittedly cool new dino showing up, kind of attacking/menacing us but in a location that's not really favorable for that to fully land, IMO. Then T-Rex does come back, like before, but we aren't anything close to a primary concern. Obviously it may play differently when actually riding it, but for me, this is an example that sometimes less really is more. One simple direct, confrontation beats two that kind of sort of involve us in rapid succession.

It kind of reminds me of previous updates to the various Snow White rides, where originally the witch was attacking us but then later iterations have her attacking Snow White and/or the Dwarfs while we watch.

Obviously not everything is going to be active in that way, but I still think it's a downgrade.

A signature attraction should have received the TLC it needed with or without the marketing sheen of an easy reskin, IMO. While I recognize that at Jurassic World overlay was inevitable because of the popularity of the films, I still would have preferred a restoration of the original attraction.

CaptinEO

I mean it takes a novel to explain this new ride, while the first ride is self explanatory.

DavidDL

I mean it takes a novel to explain this new ride, while the first ride is self explanatory.
It really doesn't. Just like the previous attraction, it doesn't need much explanation and literally, even maps itself out for you at the beginning of the ride.

I just like to rant, go into detail and explain why I personally think some criticisms are unfair.

Especially when I'm at work. The more I type, the faster my day goes by. ;)

DavidDL

.. A signature attraction should have received the TLC it needed with or without the marketing sheen of an easy reskin, IMO. While I recognize that at Jurassic World overlay was inevitable because of the popularity of the films, I still would have preferred a restoration of the original attraction.

If the rushed overlay is any indication, they're terrified of keeping JP/JW closed for too long. This is probably why it never got the proper love it deserved during refurbs or during the initial transformation. They must not feel confident enough in their park during the summer months without it because they only have a handful of attractions to begin with.

I still think the final visual of the T-Rex coming directly at us, straight on, from Jurassic Park is more powerful than the current setup ..

Hey, different folks, different strokes! I can't think of anything more meaningless than trying to change how someone feels about art. But for me, Hollywood's flying Rex has been an embarrassment for a long time. It still has problems but the new scene lighting and attention drawn to the Indominus do a lot to hide alot of the issues that were there before. I understand the thrill of the surprise with the waterfall jump scare but I would have much preferred the slow, foggy, ominous build of Orlando's to our bootleg Superman.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

If the rushed overlay is any indication, they're terrified of keeping JP/JW closed for too long. This is probably why it never got the proper love it deserved during refurbs or during the initial transformation. They must not feel confident enough in their park during the summer months without it because they only have a handful of attractions to begin with.

Hey, different folks, different strokes! I can't think of anything more meaningless than trying to change how someone feels about art. But for me, Hollywood's flying Rex has been an embarrassment for a long time. It still has problems but the new scene lighting and attention drawn to the Indominus do a lot to hide alot of the issues that were there before. I understand the thrill of the surprise with the waterfall jump scare but I would have much preferred the slow, foggy, ominous build of Orlando's to our bootleg Superman.

View attachment 552483
Hey now, bootleg Superman is very charming!

I also would have been fine with switching to Orlando's climax at the expense of what's there now.

DavidDL

Hey now, bootleg Superman is very charming!

I also would have been fine with switching to Orlando's climax at the expense of what's there now.

Yup, agree to disagree.

That said, overall I'd have to say: Orlando Jurassic Park > Hollywood Jurassic World > Hollywood Jurassic Park

Orlando's River Adventure is just, something else. It doesn't feel squeezed in or trapped inside the Hollywood skyline. The amount of space and additional foliage really makes you feel like you're in a larger, Jurassic Park setting.

Their Hadrosaur cove and Stegosaur Spring scenes in particular, really illustrate this. Hadrosaur cove actually feels like a place you could have drifted off to next had you not been knocked off course. Ours clearly just led to a wall. -and our Stego area is so cramped you can really see all the walls locking in around it. Theirs feels like an actual habitat that these animals are living in. Ours.. never did. -and still doesn't.

Last edited:

TP2000

To be fair, Australia barely needs it. But we are kicking butt with this, and it gives me hope that we can bring some entertainment back to our parks sooner than later.

To be fair, Australia has low Covid rates because they cut themselves off from the world and have very strict border controls.

Australia is an island of 25 million people who haven't had Covid and are not vaccinated against Covid. They are a sitting duck.

That Australia is so behind on vaccinations only means they must remain cut off from the world for an extended period of time until either Covid rages through their country or at least 70% of Australians get vaccinated. Tick, tick, tick...

April 27, 2021 Vaccination Rates
United States = 42.7% Given One Dose, 29.1% Fully Vaccinated
Australia = 3.9% Given One Dose, 0.0% Fully Vaccinated

This is particularly troubling for the tourism industry in Southern California. Australians had made up a huge portion of big-spending foreign tourists who used to flood the SoCal theme parks and pump up the economy. Australians can't do that now. :(

Professortango1

In original they are evacuating us to the water treatment plant. We are being lifted to a safe level, but the lift breaks due to raptors and such and we suddenly drop onto another level, never making it to our evac point. The Rex then tries and attack us, breaking several pipes and causing the facility to become unstable. The waterfall in front of us is meant to be a broken water pipe caused by the Rex. The drop isn't a theme park drop but probably some outflow for the water treatment.

DavidDL

In original they are evacuating us to the water treatment plant. We are being lifted to a safe level, but the lift breaks due to raptors and such and we suddenly drop onto another level, never making it to our evac point. The Rex then tries and attack us, breaking several pipes and causing the facility to become unstable. The waterfall in front of us is meant to be a broken water pipe caused by the Rex. The drop isn't a theme park drop but probably some outflow for the water treatment.

Which is fine. But it still doesn’t fully explain why we’re conveniently dropped into the unload/loading zone as if that was the only connection point to that area. In the Hadrosaur cove scene, there is at least some attempt to create the illusion that our boat was meant to take a certain course. No such effort is given at the end of the original JP with any kind of cleverly disguised, alternate route from which the boats should have emerged from to unload had things gone normally.

Instead, all roads connected to the unload lead to water treatment plant. I mean, it’s fine. We’re honestly not supposed to be thinking too hard about either incarnation of the attraction. Much of what you said isn’t something that most folks would get without research, as well. Other than the line about being evacuated on upper platform, which is spoken to us over the intercom.

The new version plays up the fact that the waterfall is part of the attraction. Which makes sense for the Jurassic World area as a whole because the mini land would make less sense if passerbys were just constantly watching boats plummet out of a water plant they’re not supposed to be in. But if you’re willing to suspend your disbelief for something like that or not think too hard about it for JP, then you should be for JW, as well, I think.

But hey, you love what you love. It’s all good. I like them both and they both have their strong/weak points. Especially here in Hollywood. But whichever one we think is better is meaningless now because we’ve got what we’ve got. We can take it or leave it. I enjoy it enough to take it.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Universal has updated their website to state out-of-state fully vaccinated guests can visit the park, but must buy their ticket at the gate and provide proof of vaccination.

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 12.36.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 12.39.34 PM.png

waltography

Universal has updated their website to state out-of-state fully vaccinated guests can visit the park, but must buy their ticket at the gate and provide proof of vaccination.

View attachment 552659

View attachment 552661

I can see why Disney isn't budging in the short term, because this sounds like a mess. Good on Universal for trying it though.

I would love a Haunting of Hill House maze! Both Hill House and Bly Manor were so, so good.

Professortango1

woah woah woah I am so sorry, I accidentally posted the wrong park, mistake lol. Here it is-

Can we stop with Walking Dead/Michael Myers/Jason/Freddy/Leatherface??? Orlando has incredible original mazes and Hollywood is constantly retreading the same 40 year old franchises. We don't need a Michael Myers maze. We don't need yet another Texas Chainsaw Maze. And we certainly don't need to see more walkers.

They should do one classic Universal Horror (Dracula, Wolfman, Frankenstein). One older non icon property (American Werewolf, Evil Dead, Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice). One new IP. And 3-4 original mazes. Hollywood feels so stale, like you only need to visit every 5 years because they have the same basic mazes over and over.

Sharon&Susan

I don't feel like Walking Dead will last much longer considering it's valuable real estate in what's now a kid friendly Illumination zone. I wouldn't be surprised if they replace it with that Sing show from Universal Japan and Beijing

Professortango1

They keep bringing those franchises back cause they're usually the highest rated
Well, it usually results me going to Knotts/Queen Mary/Hayride etc. I've already seen their mazes based upon those properties. No need to pay for VIP to see rehashed properties that are older than me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom