All things Magic Mountain

Phroobar

Original Poster
I love Rollercoaster the movie. It's got some great shots of Magic Mountain and some other classic parks. Lots of 70's cheese.

w9kOdDNDMk5Lxn3UdRkGEMRgucF.jpg

The Great American Revolution was the first of its kind looping roller coaster. The movie acted as advertising for Magic Mountain.

rollercoaster-movie-maels.jpg

The Sparks play at Magic Mountain

Rollercoaster.jpg

The Skyrocket @ Ocean View Park in Norfolk, Virginia

https://neptsdepths.blogspot.com/2010/07/dipping-into-rollercoaster.html

Rich T

I love Rollercoaster the movie. It's got some great shots of Magic Mountain and some other classic parks. Lots of 70's cheese.

w9kOdDNDMk5Lxn3UdRkGEMRgucF.jpg

The Great American Revolution was the first of its kind looping roller coaster. The movie acted as advertising for Magic Mountain.

rollercoaster-movie-maels.jpg

The Sparks play at Magic Mountain

Rollercoaster.jpg

The Skyrocket @ Ocean View Park in Norfolk, Virginia

https://neptsdepths.blogspot.com/2010/07/dipping-into-rollercoaster.html
I saw Sparks at Magic Mountain! :D I saw the movie Rollercoaster on opening night. In SENSURROUND!!! Went back to see it again twice. Because there was no internet. Or home video. Or cable. :D

BubbaQuest

Interesting! It was red lights with fog and a guy with a knife just during that first lift. I remember the weird voice overs they had too in a really slow droopy voice "Do not pass go... do not collect 200 dollars".

The red lighting wouldn't surprise me. If I remember correctly the lake originally had no lighting at all. You'd think that would make log jammer more exciting, but it was so dark you couldn't see anything. You just got jostled around for several minutes and then it was over :)

I do remember at some point they added some kind of "nighttime entertainment thing". They added lighting to the waterfall and the lake and if I remember correctly a little bandstand somewhere on the opposite side of the lake. At a specific time they would light up the lake and start the entertainment. Since there was no designated viewing area, you couldn't really see much. I don't remember it lasting very long, but they definitely had the lighting package for it.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Z-Force - a looping buccaneer boat ride. Instead of swinging back and forth , it does two complete loops. Batman the Ride stands there now. Too bad they couldn't just move it elsewhere.
zforce.jpg

It's advertising was very Top Gun.
hqdefault.jpg

Rich T

The Dragon ride full track.
dragon01a.jpg
dragon02a.jpg
Oooh, love these shots! For anyone who never got to experience this--it took about five minutes to travel that tiny distance. I'm not exaggerating. I'm sure that employee walked from one station to the other in about 1/4 of the time. I wonder if any park has ever installed a slower ride. :D Appropriate koto music played along the course.

Rich T

Z-Force - a looping buccaneer boat ride. Instead of swinging back and forth , it does two complete loops. Batman the Ride stands there now. Too bad they couldn't just move it elsewhere.
zforce.jpg
I rode Great America's version of this ride (Revolution) when it opened and once was enough. I don't get the appeal of being dangled upside down while the blood rushes to the head and the coins and keys rush to the ground. It was a rather amusing group-screaming session, though; a couple dozen people yelling together as they all wondered what possessed them to climb aboard.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

Oooh, love these shots! For anyone who never got to experience this--it took about five minutes to travel that tiny distance. I'm not exaggerating. I'm sure that employee walked from one station to the other in about 1/4 of the time. I wonder if any park has ever installed a slower ride. :D Appropriate koto music played along the course.

But that, the skyway, and the monorail were all great parts of Magic Mountain back in the day. I miss those quiet experiences.

Phroobar

Original Poster
There are still remains of the monorail in the park. The tunnel Full Throttle goes though is one of them. I believe there is some i-beam still standing backstage.

Phroobar

Original Poster
It would be a step up if Cedar Fair bought Magic Mountain. I think things would be better taken care of. However, I have a feeling MM will eventually become part of the housing development behind it.

Phroobar

Original Poster
So.... did Six Flags hire Imagineering to build West Coast Racers? 😃
Based on the theming, it looks like they got the same WDI group that did Pixar Pier.
Six Flags swears it will be open by the end of the year. They just didn't say what year.

Magic Mountain: "West Coast Racers - New for 2021!!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom