All things Magic Mountain

Darkbeer1

Well, Six Flags problem is China.

The domestic parks are doing just fine.

But if Six Flags needs some cash, I think a few chains would be happy to bid on individual parks placed up for sale.

Read into that SeaWorld, Cedar Fair and Merlin.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Well, Six Flags problem is China.

The domestic parks are doing just fine.

But if Six Flags needs some cash, I think a few chains would be happy to bid on individual parks placed up for sale.

Read into that SeaWorld, Cedar Fair and Merlin.
Makes me wonder how many years it will be until Magic Mountain becomes a housing development. It's bad enough that those houses will see the park from their backyards.

Newhall-Ranch-Development-Lawsuit-Valencia-Homes.png

Phroobar

Original Poster
Too much invested and the city wants SFMM to remain as compared to new housing.

So Magic Mountain will remain, question is, who will operate it?
Would it improve in quality if Cedar Fair or Merlin took it over? I think there would be alot less advertising around. Maybe the buildings would be taken care of?

Darkbeer1

Would it improve in quality if Cedar Fair or Merlin took it over? I think there would be alot less advertising around. Maybe the buildings would be taken care of?

Don't forget SeaWorld, they are becoming Ride Parks, and the 2 Busch Gardens have been for quite awhile. Heck, they were half owners when Magic Mountain opened.

And yes to short-term improvements, who knows about the long term, that depends on a lot of factors, including attendance,

SuddenStorm

Magic Mountain has the potential to be so much more than it is, especially if it were freed from Six Flag's 'penny wise, pound foolish' ownership. What comes across as cheap, poorly maintained, and catering more towards the local riff raff should cater to people of all ages- it should be the spot for people of all ages in Santa Clarita.

Simple things like replacing the ugly chain link fence that make the place feel like a local construction site with proper wrought iron fence and some plants to obscure views into Hurricane Harbor would do wonders for improving the feel of the place. And that's ignoring the aging asphault in the parking lot, or the dead grass in the median.

1578960908042.png

And that ignores the security check point, which is so slow during peak hours that guests will often wait 45 minutes+ before even making it into the central plaza.

Or new areas like Steampunk District and the DC area, that looked great upon opening but have started to look stale and old due to years of neglect and a lack of continued investment.

And howbout the many abandoned shops and restaurants throughout the park- especially the ones found by Ninja and Superman that make the place feel like an abandoned carnival?

1578961190580.png
1578961251390.png

Or the two heavily underutilized theaters found in the park- the Golden Bear and the Magic Moments that could host the many local magicians, comedians, bands, and other entertainers found in the LA area looking to get a break in the entertainment industry.

What could be a fun and inexpensive date night and place to hangout for the hundreds of thousands of locals instead caters solely to the 'thrill seekers'.

PiratesMansion

Magic Mountain has the potential to be so much more than it is, especially if it were freed from Six Flag's 'penny wise, pound foolish' ownership. What comes across as cheap, poorly maintained, and catering more towards the local riff raff should cater to people of all ages- it should be the spot for people of all ages in Santa Clarita.

Simple things like replacing the ugly chain link fence that make the place feel like a local construction site with proper wrought iron fence and some plants to obscure views into Hurricane Harbor would do wonders for improving the feel of the place. And that's ignoring the aging asphault in the parking lot, or the dead grass in the median.

View attachment 441060

And that ignores the security check point, which is so slow during peak hours that guests will often wait 45 minutes+ before even making it into the central plaza.

Or new areas like Steampunk District and the DC area, that looked great upon opening but have started to look stale and old due to years of neglect and a lack of continued investment.

And howbout the many abandoned shops and restaurants throughout the park- especially the ones found by Ninja and Superman that make the place feel like an abandoned carnival?

View attachment 441061View attachment 441062

Or the two heavily underutilized theaters found in the park- the Golden Bear and the Magic Moments that could host the many local magicians, comedians, bands, and other entertainers found in the LA area looking to get a break in the entertainment industry.

What could be a fun and inexpensive date night and place to hangout for the hundreds of thousands of locals instead caters solely to the 'thrill seekers'.

Magic Mountain just DRIPS with potential. You just know that if anyone else with half a bit of skill could get their hands on it, it would instantly shoot up to possibly one of the country's best parks. In fairness, I feel like you could say that about a lot of Six Flags parks, but it has always jumped out to me there particularly.

I would love it if my own Great America was bought out by Cedar Fair (and to see what kind of naming awkwardness would ensue with them also owning CGA), but I know Six Flags will be holding on to my park until the company is no longer around. The Cedar Fair parks I was familiar with before this past decade look and feel SO MUCH BETTER than they did 10 years ago, whereas Six Flags has, under the best circumstances, stayed the same. If I could walk into any of their parks knowing there'd be half-decent operations and that the parks were receiving the same thoughtful TLC Cedar Fair is providing to their parks, I'd feel a lot more positively towards the company, rather than the resigned apathy I feel now.

SuddenStorm

I hear they can't open the Dragon Pizza Company because the building is haunted.

bbq16.jpg

Haha! That's actually a story that's widely circulated by employees at the park. I heard it often during my time working in the park.

Also, supposedly the Full Throttle Sports Bar is haunted (worked there for 2 years with nothing happening to verify this), Colossus is haunted, and the observation tower is haunted.

I love me a good ghost story, but I think the far simpler reason that it's a horrible location that's only heavily trafficked on the busiest days of the year is enough to justify not opening the restaurant.

Phroobar

Original Poster
They really need a second form of transportation to the top of Samurai Summit for the other side. I hate climbing that hill. All that is up there is Ninja and Superman anyway. Everything else is closed and abandoned. They need a third ride or a Magic Pagoda to open to make a restaurant worth it.

BubbaisSleep

Haha! That's actually a story that's widely circulated by employees at the park. I heard it often during my time working in the park.

Also, supposedly the Full Throttle Sports Bar is haunted (worked there for 2 years with nothing happening to verify this), Colossus is haunted, and the observation tower is haunted.

I love me a good ghost story, but I think the far simpler reason that it's a horrible location that's only heavily trafficked on the busiest days of the year is enough to justify not opening the restaurant.
Right. Especially those foolish enough to walk up from Goldrusher instead of using the stairs by Tatsu. After that climb on a hot day, last thing I'm thinking about is pizza. Superman should sell ICEE's out of his ice lair.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom