All things Knotts Berry Farm

BubbaQuest

Wow, Taste of Fall-O-Ween sold out quick. Checked tickets on Sunday night, and only this up coming Saturday was sold out. Went to buy tickets today, and every single Fri/Sat/Sun is now listed as sold out and they've added Thursdays every week.

Just watched a video about Fall-O-Ween:

Looks amazing. Personally sad to hear it sold out as I was hoping to take a trip out there, but congrats to Knott's on an amazing event during these difficult times.

Darkbeer1

Just watched a video about Fall-O-Ween:

Looks amazing. Personally sad to hear it sold out as I was hoping to take a trip out there, but congrats to Knott's on an amazing event during these difficult times.

Went Sunday, has a great time.

Walked through Camp Spooky, very well done.

Food was great, took 1 item home because we were full.

Going back on November 1st.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Knott’s Berry Farm plans to add a holiday wrinkle to its run of food, beer and wine events with the new Taste of Merry Farm while the Buena Park theme park waits to fully reopen under California’s pandemic guidelines.

The Taste of Merry Farm craft beer and food event will run on 31 select dates Nov. 20 through Jan. 3 at Knott’s.

The Taste of Merry Farm takes the concept of the Taste of Fall-O-Ween that runs through Nov. 1 and the previous Taste of Knott’s and Taste of Calico events and adds a winter holiday twist with a menu celebrating seasonal flavors."

"Visitors must purchase a date-specific tasting card in advance on the Knott’s website or app that will serve as a Taste of Merry Farm admission ticket. Taste of Merry Farm tasting cards will run $40 for five food tastings and $20 for a junior card that’s good for three tastings.

The Taste of Merry Farm event will run on Nov. 20-29, Dec. 4-6, Dec. 11-13, Dec. 18-24, Dec. 26-30 and January 1-3 from noon to 9 p.m. The event will close an hour earlier at 8 p.m. on Nov. 29, Dec. 6, 13, 24 and Jan. 3."

el_super

Was about to do this even though Im not a big fan of Knotts after my last visit, then realized two adults after tax when checking out is 87 dollars. No thanks.

Yikes.... $87.... for Turkey Tater Tots? It will be interesting to see what Disney ends up offering for free and how that will impact what Knott's is essentially charging for. I don't see how Knott's can get by, charging so much for their food.

Darkbeer1

Yikes.... $87.... for Turkey Tater Tots? It will be interesting to see what Disney ends up offering for free and how that will impact what Knott's is essentially charging for. I don't see how Knott's can get by, charging so much for their food.

The first event was $25, and due to strong demand creating Sell Outs, the price was raised to $30, then $35 for the current event. Fall-o-Ween Sold Out in about a week, and Knott's added more days to the event, which also quickly sold out.

So due to high demand, they decided to add another $5, hoping that they can have tickets to sell for a longer period of time, but sill sell out just before the event ends.

The market is missing going to Theme Parks, and this is as close as we will be getting for awhile.

el_super

The market is missing going to Theme Parks, and this is as close as we will be getting for awhile.

Hey I suppose if buying not-so-great food at an amazing mark up makes people nostalgic for theme parks, they can have at it. I am doubtful that Knott's will be able to keep up this game of raising prices, if Disney starts offering similar content for free.

DavidDL

Hey I suppose if buying not-so-great food at an amazing mark up makes people nostalgic for theme parks, they can have at it. I am doubtful that Knott's will be able to keep up this game of raising prices, if Disney starts offering similar content for free.

The price increase is obviously not great but supply and demand, I suppose. They're hurting, I don't blame them for doing it, especially if they keep selling out. The items offered are exclusive to the event itself (both food and merch) and technically you're just paying for your food in advance so it's not like you're "paying" to get into the park. Your $40 5 item card is your ticket to come in. So assuming you're there to gorge yourself already, you're really not paying to "get in".

-and when you consider that a Blue Milk will run you 7.99+ tax, $40 for 5 food items doesn't seem that bad (it's theme park "standard" at least), especially since the serving sizes seem to be increasing, too (from the images I've seen). I bought my folks tickets to the Halloween event and they said the sizes were generous, and my wife and I were at the one before it and thought the food was delicious. Then again, I've always been a fan of theme park food (especially Disneyland's).

Is that a a big ol' bowl of pulled pork mac n' cheese for one tasting? Sign me up!

Pulled-Pork-Mac-and-Cheese-with-ParmesanPanko-Crumb-Topping.jpg

Stevek

The price increase is obviously not great but supply and demand, I suppose. They're hurting, I don't blame them for doing it, especially if they keep selling out. The items offered are exclusive to the event itself (both food and merch) and technically you're just paying for your food in advance so it's not like you're "paying" to get into the park. Your $40 5 item card is your ticket to come in. So assuming you're there to gorge yourself already, you're really not paying to "get in".

-and when you consider that a Blue Milk will run you 7.99+ tax, $40 for 5 food items doesn't seem that bad (it's theme park "standard" at least), especially since the serving sizes seem to be increasing, too (from the images I've seen). I bought my folks tickets to the Halloween event and they said the sizes were generous, and my wife and I were at the one before it and thought the food was delicious. Then again, I've always been a fan of theme park food (especially Disneyland's).

Is that a a big ol' bowl of pulled pork mac n' cheese for one tasting? Sign me up!

View attachment 508884
That one caught my eye as well. I was fine with the $25 we paid for the first event, can't say that I'll be back though. Plenty of people seem to be willing to pay whatever price they charge so can't blame Knott's.

Stevek

BUT, Disney can do it for free because folks may very easily spend far more than $40/person on food and drinks alone...not even including the souvenirs they'll bring home. I don't think people are clamoring for Knott's merch the same way folks want Disney merch.

PostScott

The first event was $25, and due to strong demand creating Sell Outs, the price was raised to $30, then $35 for the current event. Fall-o-Ween Sold Out in about a week, and Knott's added more days to the event, which also quickly sold out.

So due to high demand, they decided to add another $5, hoping that they can have tickets to sell for a longer period of time, but sill sell out just before the event ends.

$25 and $30 were pretty good, but now that the price is inching closer to what a day ticket was priced with everything open. It makes me wonder what people do around california. I went during the taste of knotts event and it was super crowded. From what I understand, it's been selling out almost every day of the event. I'm glad to see knotts is making money, but this just shows how little there is to do in the SoCal area.

DavidDL

That one caught my eye as well. I was fine with the $25 we paid for the first event, can't say that I'll be back though. Plenty of people seem to be willing to pay whatever price they charge so can't blame Knott's.

That's a fair assessment, and I definitely think there will be a tipping point unless some kind of additional "freebies" are included or portion sizes expand significantly. I'm fine with the $40 price still because the math works out in my head at the moment. That's roughly $8 per item, which if selected properly (basically, don't get 5 lemonades), seems worth it to me given the current sizes.

That said, my personal breaking point will probably be somewhere around the $50 mark. $10 per item is probably about as high as I'd be willing to go before I start to realize that I should be getting a full meal per tasting.

Stevek

That's a fair assessment, and I definitely think there will be a tipping point unless some kind of additional "freebies" are included or portion sizes expand significantly. I'm fine with the $40 price still because the math works out in my head at the moment. That's roughly $8 per item, which if selected properly (basically, don't get 5 lemonades), seems worth it to me given the current sizes.

That said, my personal breaking point will probably be somewhere around the $50 mark. $10 per item is probably about as high as I'd be willing to go before I start to realize that I should be getting a full meal per tasting.
Yeah, the price per item isn't bad...we just couldn't eat 5 items each...maybe the 110 degree day was a factor in that.

el_super

Yeah, the price per item isn't bad...we just couldn't eat 5 items each...maybe the 110 degree day was a factor in that.

I think that's mostly what it comes down to for me. I could justify spending $8 for a snack at Food and Wine, but buying $40 worth of food for a single day (I am assuming it isn't like the other tasting events where you can redeem unused portions on another day?) is really just too much for me. For that price I can get better food somewhere else. I generally don't think of the food from Knott's as being of the same quality as Disney either, so it's even more confusing to pay Disney prices for it.

I think they're really pushing the boundary of value in theme park food. A lot of the value comes from the convenience of having food adjacent to the rides/attractions you actually came to visit. Without those, the food doesn't really seem to be all that worth it.

I guess I just don't really understand the concept of paying money to get to walk around a closed theme park for a few hours. There are plenty of hiking trails and parks that are open for free.

Stevek

I think that's mostly what it comes down to for me. I could justify spending $8 for a snack at Food and Wine, but buying $40 worth of food for a single day (I am assuming it isn't like the other tasting events where you can redeem unused portions on another day?) is really just too much for me. For that price I can get better food somewhere else. I generally don't think of the food from Knott's as being of the same quality as Disney either, so it's even more confusing to pay Disney prices for it.

I think they're really pushing the boundary of value in theme park food. A lot of the value comes from the convenience of having food adjacent to the rides/attractions you actually came to visit. Without those, the food doesn't really seem to be all that worth it.

I guess I just don't really understand the concept of paying money to get to walk around a closed theme park for a few hours. There are plenty of hiking trails and parks that are open for free.
It's a different type of escapism. Our local community (your mileage may vary) is firmly entrenched in theme parks, both Disney and Knotts...and I think just being able to walk inside these environments again gives a little feeling of normalcy that people are craving.

Last edited:

el_super

It's a different type of escapism. Our local community (your mileage may vary) is firmly entrenched in theme parks, both Disney and Knotts and I think just being able to walk inside these environments again gives a little feeling of normalcy that people are craving.

I guess I can understand that. It just ventures into this weird territory of "why even have the rides if people will show up anyway" thinking. I think we all probably suspected the bar was pretty low when the popcorn buckets were generating two hour waits... just sort of hoped it wasn't so low people would show up even without the buckets.

Although I do seem to remember that Knott's was always a bit of a weird duck in this category. I don't know if they still do it, but I seem to remember they used to do the Christmas Craft Fair where you could pay a small fee (like $5) to enter Ghost Town and walk around the shops and stalls. They were still catering to the older demographics that wanted to walk around without paying for rides they wouldn't want to ride anyway.

DavidDL

This thread just makes me realize how much of a fatty I am, haha.

I can easily hit up Rancho in Frontierland for a chicken burrito plate and chips then walk right out and have a blue milk and churro. -and that's just around lunch time. $13 for the plate plus $4 for chips plus $8 dollars for blue milk plus nearly $5 dollars for a churro is already over $30 (after taxes) for that lunch plus snack alone.

I guess I just love to eat. o_O

Darkbeer1

A couple of points.

The Adult Tasting cards come with 5 choices, food or drinks like a smoothie. 2 of those choices can be beer/wine. So that is 3 food items and 2 beers for many adults.

and for Fall-o-Ween, EVERY day sold out, and every additional day (mainly Wednesdays) also Sold Out quickly.

If I remember correctly, every day also sold out for Taste of Knott's. And when I say Sell Out, usually before the event starts, or within the first week. So weeks before the end of the event.

Saturday, December 5th and the 12th are already Sold Out, a day after the announcement. So guests are willing to pay $40, or $36 for SP holders, for the Food, Drink and Atmosphere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom