All Epcot, All the Time (aka Has Disney given up on SSE?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPCOT Explorer

It`s a bit basic but it shows the point:
Fantastic!:D I can never see this clearly in your vids.:eek:

Thanks Martin. Now it makes me wonder what those motors were whirring above my head were....

I swear it looked as though the ascent/decent tube was the same..at least for a short distance..with the track above the other. I can see this would not really work as all us EPCOT fans know the ride is on a wide table-like base with the track running alongside each other...or along those lines.

The 'new' SSE is great....they just need to FINISH it!
Huh...Wonder what those were then.:lookaroun

And yep! SSE07 is a EPCOT Center attraction with a Epcot ending.

Speaking of overgrown foliage, I consider the park to becoming overgrown. Now, I love trees and greenery as much as the next person, but as you said The Land is hidden far too much. Much like Wonders - though this was part of the plan - and around showcase, Mexicos great detail is obscured and the ammount of RoE viewing spots are severly limited. Nothing big is needed, just a little, well, pruning.
Agreed...The park needs that crisp green look that it had back in the 80's/90's. To me, that was very futuristic and so aesthetic.

Something about neat plants says the future to me...:lol:

WDW1974

Speaking of overgrown foliage, I consider the park to becoming overgrown. Now, I love trees and greenery as much as the next person, but as you said The Land is hidden far too much. Much like Wonders - though this was part of the plan - and around showcase, Mexicos great detail is obscured and the ammount of RoE viewing spots are severly limited. Nothing big is needed, just a little, well, pruning.

Shhhh... I don't want any Disney weasels hearing that.

Look at how denuded the MK has become over the past few years.

Let the trees grow ... and they've already done some MASSIVE cutting at the America Gardens Theater and in front of Germany (think they replaced the mature trees completely) ...

I'd much rather things be a bit obstructed then have another MK concrete jungle.

EpcotServo

Actually, I couldn't care less about the water feature on the sign (its nice but, eh, and - I kinda liked the old signs that used to be mounted on the mural rather than the current ones) but getting back to the main argument...

To me, that is what makes the new entrance much more appropriate. The land (as in the actual land) is not always prim and proper and perfect. Its wild and free, and may not always be visually pleasing at first glance. However, it is out of that chaotic environment where the true beauty of the land is shown - the fact that it has no boundaries, no straight lines, no readily apparent order. Manicured and methodical flower beds and palm trees may look pretty, but they are hardly, I feel, an accurate representation of the landscapes and ecosystems that surround us, and for a pavilion touting itself as a place that represents the many different environments of The Land, they are not the best representation. :eek: :shrug:

Exactly. The Palm Trees and Flowers were SO plain for such an exciting Pavilion. I think it DETRACTED from the Main Building and Mosaics. Now it has distinct landscaping, and you can still see the excellent architecture and such.

:shrug:

It`s a bit basic but it shows the point:

That's why they pay you the big bucks!
:sohappy:

Oh darn, I forgot. They don't pay you.

Why not?
:lol:

Now let's see if that one ends up on a T-Shirt in Mousegear.
:lookaroun

*Still has his unworn "Martin's Tower of Terror layout" Official Disney Shirt*
:D

EpcotServo

Travis...I have no idea how you pulled that out of a overgrown planter in a theme park.:lookaroun:lol:

Welcome to a new epoch of Fanboyism!:ROFLOL:

Seriously though...I do understand what you are saying. But if I want the rugged beauty of nature, I'm gonna go to a National Park. I'm not gonna look for it in WDW of all places (at least in the parks). The area in front of The Land should be a reflection of something natural, but something we can use for our benefit, now, and in the future. I would recommend more trees that are shorter and don't distract from the dome. Also, some more water features ( a waterfall, perhaps?) could be added.:shrug::eek:

Hey, now I'm not for "Overgrown". Project Gemini is still a nightmare for me.

I'm just not seeing the "Overgrown": The Land's landscaping looks natural but controlled to me. You guys make it sound like it looks like Animal Kingdom on the outside.

hpyhnt 1000

Travis...I have no idea how you pulled that out of a overgrown planter in a theme park.:lookaroun:lol:

Welcome to a new epoch of Fanboyism!:ROFLOL:

Seriously though...I do understand what you are saying. But if I want the rugged beauty of nature, I'm gonna go to a National Park. I'm not gonna look for it in WDW of all places (at least in the parks). The area in front of The Land should be a reflection of something natural, but something we can use for our benefit, now, and in the future. I would recommend more trees that are shorter and don't distract from the dome. Also, some more water features ( a waterfall, perhaps?) could be added.:shrug::eek:

:lol: Why, thank you! Its good to be here! :lol:

No, I can understand what you mean when you say overgrown, but I'm one who likes the "foresty" feel of the current entrance over what used to be there. I think its much more land and wilderness like, which works better into the theme of the pavilion. :shrug:

I do agree on the waterfall idea. The water feature thats there right now is a bit too static. I'd prefer a running stream as opposed to the stagnating pond thats there now. :lookaroun

EPCOT Explorer

Shhhh... I don't want any Disney weasels hearing that.

Look at how denuded the MK has become over the past few years.

Let the trees grow ... and they've already done some MASSIVE cutting at the America Gardens Theater and in front of Germany (think they replaced the mature trees completely) ...

I'd much rather things be a bit obstructed then have another MK concrete jungle.
True...But EPCOT already is a Steel Jungle!:dazzle: Look at poor Innoventions Plaza! They need to find a balance between the two.

Exactly. The Palm Trees and Flowers were SO plain for such an exciting Pavilion. I think it DETRACTED from the Main Building and Mosaics. Now it has distinct landscaping, and you can still see the excellent architecture and such.

That's why they pay you the big bucks!
:sohappy:

Oh darn, I forgot. They don't pay you.

Why not?

Now let's see if that one ends up on a T-Shirt in Mousegear.

*Still has his unworn "Martin's Tower of Terror layout" Official Disney Shirt*
:D

That was one interesting thread.

:lol::lol::lookarounBTW... I want one SO bad.:lookaroun:lol:

________

In regards to the flowers/palms- Yet again, I say a balance. Have them compliment the structure, not hide it.

EPCOT Explorer

Hey, now I'm not for "Overgrown". Project Gemini is still a nightmare for me.

I'm just not seeing the "Overgrown": The Land's landscaping looks natural but controlled to me. You guys make it sound like it looks like Animal Kingdom on the outside.
See, now I think PG would have been a good thing. Manicured Gardens, water features...Trees..Topiaries...

There's a picture I have in a WDW Pictorial display book from 1993. It shows Communicore Court so lush, green and inviting but NOT overgrown. There is a wonderful array of color and nature from the plants that compliment the architecture of Future World SO nicely.

I'll see if I can get to a scanner tomorrow.
:lol: Why, thank you! Its good to be here! :lol:

No, I can understand what you mean when you say overgrown, but I'm one who likes the "foresty" feel of the current entrance over what used to be there. I think its much more land and wilderness like, which works better into the theme of the pavilion. :shrug:

I do agree on the waterfall idea. The water feature thats there right now is a bit too static. I'd prefer a running stream as opposed to the stagnating pond thats there now. :lookaroun

:lol::wave: Welcome!:p

Perhaps that's a broken feature?

hpyhnt 1000

^Mmmmm, if thats the case, then its been broken ever since they re-did the entrance. As its stands now, there is a little trickle of water, but its not enough. It needs to be a bit more pronounced. :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

^Mmmmm, if thats the case, then its been broken ever since they re-did the entrance. As its stands now, there is a little trickle of water, but its not enough. It needs to be a bit more pronounced. :shrug:

Maybe it's the spirit of the old fountain from the food court getting revenge...:lookaroun:lol:

Well, either way, I strongly believe they could have the "asymmetrical forrest feel" while keeping it neat.

Maybe some dense and sculpted shrubs?

EpcotServo

See, now I think PG would have been a good thing. Manicured Gardens, water features...Trees..Topiaries...

Ummm...I'm PRETTY sure the Land side would've been covered in Jungle for the "Rainforest" coaster hanging over the pathways. It was going be dense with vegetation. Not to mention the Maze thing.

Seriously...Gemini is The Doomsday Plan.

(As chronicled in my Never-made Action-Comedy Motion Picture "Project GEMINI: The Doomsday Plan" the unbelievably false, True story of the plan to destroy EPCOT and the two Disney fans who dare stop it.)

EPCOT Explorer

Ummm...I'm PRETTY sure the Land side would've been covered in Jungle for the "Rainforest" coaster hanging over the pathways. It was going be dense with vegetation. Not to mention the Maze thing.

Seriously...Gemini is The Doomsday Plan.

(As chronicled in my Never-made Action-Comedy Motion Picture "Project GEMINI: The Doomsday Plan" the unbelievably false, True story of the plan to destroy EPCOT and the two Disney fans who dare stop it.)
:lol::lol:

Ok, everything but that. And Time Racers.:lookaroun

(actually, the maze woulda been nice tucked away near JII)

EPCOT Explorer

Getting Rid of the Land's Hill/Floral Bed you just talked about.

It's a lose/lose for me.

Eh.:shrug: This will prolly never happen anyway...
~~~~

But we can all rest assured of THIS!

attachment.php

:lol::sohappy:
(Not my image, but someone posted this a while ago...I just saved the link back then)

hpyhnt 1000

^ You gotta wonder what Epcot would be like today had that been done... Really could have been something (and in all honesty, if it meant an end to the clutter in Innoventions Plaza, it couldn't have been all that bad :shrug:).

Speaking of which, any news on the FoN? Pics, reports, ANYthing???

EpcotServo

^ You gotta wonder what Epcot would be like today had that been done... Really could have been something (and in all honesty, if it meant an end to the clutter in Innoventions Plaza, it couldn't have been all that bad :shrug:).

Yeah, no more clutter.

Also NO MORE FOUNTAIN OF NATIONS!

EPCOT Explorer

Speaking of which, any news on the FoN? Pics, reports, ANYthing???
Right. That's what I thought it would do too.:eek:

And yeah! How is FoN doing?

*loves the schizophrenic-ness of this thread*:lookaroun:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom