All Epcot, All the Time (aka Has Disney given up on SSE?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Indeed!:) This is a tiny step in the right direction. I've been seeing a lot that I like out of the park lately.:D

Well, from my recent trip, I like the following things that were different then a year before.

1. Several really neat play areas for the little kids. Not really an "Epcot" theme, but nice nonetheless.

2. The angler-fish was working!!! Makes a big difference in the Nemo ride.

3. Old logo, font, etc. showing up in a few places, including some refurb signs, etc.

4. KP of course. Different and fun. Plus I scared the crap out of people in Mitsukoshi by triggering one of the effects.

5. Innoventions is alive and revitalized. Has a very "Progressland" vibe, for those who can remember that far back at Disneyland.

6. New activity in the Land greenhouses (integrated aquaculture, reorganized plantings and signs).

7. New ideas at the Flower and Garden show (playgrounds, butterflies, faeries, make your own flower pot w/ seeds)

8. Dolphin research demonstration at the Seas. They really need to find ways to remind people of the real sea life there.

But there were things I didn't like.

a. Some F&G things cut back to weekends that were not previously weekend only (at least I don't think they were).

b. No more Jr. Chef.

c. Garden Grille closed at lunch, despite huge crowds.

d. Slightly reduced entertainment offerings in WS, I believe. Not much, but a little.

On the whole, improvements. But they still haven't made up for past mistakes yet.

Expo_Seeker40

Epcot (EPCOT/Epcot Center/MerfCove) offers a variety of entertainment with shows and attractions these days. :sohappy: I think the next big step will be taking care of the cosmetics.

For the "boring theme park" of WDW, they don't do a great job of impressing many first timers with the 1999 tundra entrance with overgrown plants, fading mustard brown paint, and....was that tumbleweed I saw go by on the way to Spaceship Earth?! While I was outside the park waiting for it to open in January, I heard a variety of people remark on the "stale", "boring", "unwelcoming" entrance.

Other areas that need help is Innoventions (the buildings need to be repainted) and Innoventions Plaza (good God....1990s mall food court)

And landscaping....yes trees are nice...give us oxygen and allow birds to sit in them and ________ on your churro when you're not looking, but many trees are overgrown, along with quite a few bushes, shrubs, etc.

If they can bring about fresh new and modern colors, less clutter, more flowers, but trimmed and scaled back trees and bushes....then future world will really pop and stand out in a good way.

EPCOT Explorer

Well, from my recent trip, I like the following things that were different then a year before.

1. Several really neat play areas for the little kids. Not really an "Epcot" theme, but nice nonetheless.

2. The angler-fish was working!!! Makes a big difference in the Nemo ride.

3. Old logo, font, etc. showing up in a few places, including some refurb signs, etc.

4. KP of course. Different and fun. Plus I scared the crap out of people in Mitsukoshi by triggering one of the effects.

5. Innoventions is alive and revitalized. Has a very "Progressland" vibe, for those who can remember that far back at Disneyland.

6. New activity in the Land greenhouses (integrated aquaculture, reorganized plantings and signs).

7. New ideas at the Flower and Garden show (playgrounds, butterflies, faeries, make your own flower pot w/ seeds)

8. Dolphin research demonstration at the Seas. They really need to find ways to remind people of the real sea life there.

But there were things I didn't like.

a. Some F&G things cut back to weekends that were not previously weekend only (at least I don't think they were).

b. No more Jr. Chef.

c. Garden Grille closed at lunch, despite huge crowds.

d. Slightly reduced entertainment offerings in WS, I believe. Not much, but a little.

On the whole, improvements. But they still haven't made up for past mistakes yet.
Sounds very good. Just fix some of the major stuff and EPCOT Center could be back in spirit.:D

Epcot (EPCOT/Epcot Center/MerfCove) offers a variety of entertainment with shows and attractions these days. :sohappy: I think the next big step will be taking care of the cosmetics.

For the "boring theme park" of WDW, they don't do a great job of impressing many first timers with the 1999 tundra entrance with overgrown plants, fading mustard brown paint, and....was that tumbleweed I saw go by on the way to Spaceship Earth?! While I was outside the park waiting for it to open in January, I heard a variety of people remark on the "stale", "boring", "unwelcoming" entrance.

Other areas that need help is Innoventions (the buildings need to be repainted) and Innoventions Plaza (good God....1990s mall food court)

And landscaping....yes trees are nice...give us oxygen and allow birds to sit in them and ________ on your churro when you're not looking, but many trees are overgrown, along with quite a few bushes, shrubs, etc.

If they can bring about fresh new and modern colors, less clutter, more flowers, but trimmed and scaled back trees and bushes....then future world will really pop and stand out in a good way.
Make it look like M:S and ProjTmrw (Subtle, glowing, and metallic) and we have a Futuristic Future World. Whodathunkit?

HMF

Original Poster

Thank you for summarizing my To-Do list.:wave: Even though don't expect LAL to go anywhere.

HMF

Original Poster
I bet it will be gone within 20 years, or significantly altered within 10
It has to stay for 50 years (as of 1999) so if it is removed at any point during the next 40 years Disney could have a class-action lawsuit on their hands.

GymLeaderPhil

Do you have an alternative placement?
Raiders_Of_The_Lost_Ark_Government_Warehouse2.jpg

hpyhnt 1000

You know, the tiles can stay at the entrance for all I care. I'd just prefer they were moved to the sides of the plaza and placed on new, sleeker structures that are at most 5 feet tall (basically so one could still see over them and wouldn't feel boxed in by huge monolithic structures.) By moving them to the side, you open up the middle of the plaza once more; some new paths, planters, lighting, and water features, surrounded by colorful annuals and palms that ascend toward SSE and Epcot once again has a stunning and welcoming entrance plaza. :)

At any rate, hopefully something happens soon. C'mon economy; lets get moving! We have an entrance plaza that needs fixing! :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

You know, the tiles can stay at the entrance for all I care. I'd just prefer they were moved to the sides of the plaza and placed on new, sleeker structures that are at most 5 feet tall (basically so one could still see over them and wouldn't feel boxed in by huge monolithic structures.) By moving them to the side, you open up the middle of the plaza once more; some new paths, planters, lighting, and water features, surrounded by colorful annuals and palms that ascend toward SSE and Epcot once again has a stunning and welcoming entrance plaza. :)

At any rate, hopefully something happens soon. C'mon economy; lets get moving! We have an entrance plaza that needs fixing! :lol:

Or, raise the grassy beds, and as walls, put the plaques.:D Add some nice lighting.:D Maybe a fountain or two. Done.

oh hai, EPCOT Center.

SirNim

And NO MORE PALMS!!!:ROFLOL:
No, no... we want palms! Lots of tall, glorious Washingtonia robusta palms! Their height accentuates the massive architecture of Spaceship Earth in a sort of reverse forced-perspective manner.

Now... the only other trees which I would even consider for the flanking of SE would be the mega-flora species like the redwoods, sequoias, Coast Douglas-fir, Sitka Spruce, etc., but these can not survive in the sandy Florida soil and climate. The trees that flank SE need to make a statement, need to be sleek, and need to belong there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom