Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

21stamps

It sure won't. But it might increase the odds.
In the situation that Bandini described- I think the odds are incredibly in your favor that you will never see a child running around trying to pull down drapery, and a father chasing a toddler in circles (unable to catch him?lol), and a mother changing an infant's diaper on a table, at any restaurant.
I would be upset if that happened at Panera. It has nothing to do with where you are..it's just being unlucky that one would experience such a fiasco in that extremely rare moment.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In the situation that Bandini described- I think the odds are incredibly in your favor that you will never see a child running around trying to pull down drapery, and a father chasing a toddler in circles (unable to catch him?lol), and a mother changing an infant's diaper on a table, at any restaurant.
I would be upset if that happened at Panera. It has nothing to do with where you are..it's just being unlucky that one would experience such a fiasco in that extremely rare moment.
Sadly I've seen some similar behavior with the diapers in my days. We were at a bar near my house for lunch one day. They have a seating area upstares with some tables but it's still basically a bar. The mother at the table next to us changed an infant's diaper right on the floor of the restaurant and then didn't even wash her hands after. Yuck. She touched the ketchup at the table and the chair she was sitting in. The poor people seated at that table next probably got sick. Luckily I was done eating or I would have had a hard time staying.

As you say this is not the norm of behavior. Most of us parents know to do the right thing and don't do stuff like that. There is a very small minority of parents who are so wrapped up in their own world that they fail to realize that the rest of the world doesn't revolve around them or give a damn that they have a precious little snowflake. These ignorant parents were in most cases ignorant before they had kids too. Most parents are capable of realizing that there are appropriate and inappropriate places to bring their children and appropriate behavior wherever they are and it's never appropriate to change a diaper in a restaurant or on the tray table at your seat on an airplane (yes, I witnessed that too...and the woman got mad because the flight attendant wouldn't take the dirty diaper in the trash bag. She stuffed it in the seat pocket in front of her and left it there when she got off the plane...gross).

21stamps

Sadly I've seen some similar behavior with the diapers in my days. We were at a bar near my house for lunch one day. They have a seating area upstares with some tables but it's still basically a bar. The mother at the table next to us changed an infant's diaper right on the floor of the restaurant and then didn't even wash her hands after. Yuck. She touched the ketchup at the table and the chair she was sitting in. The poor people seated at that table next probably got sick. Luckily I was done eating or I would have had a hard time staying.

As you say this is not the norm of behavior. Most of us parents know to do the right thing and don't do stuff like that. There is a very small minority of parents who are so wrapped up in their own world that they fail to realize that the rest of the world doesn't revolve around them or give a damn that they have a precious little snowflake. These ignorant parents were in most cases ignorant before they had kids too. Most parents are capable of realizing that there are appropriate and inappropriate places to bring their children and appropriate behavior wherever they are and it's never appropriate to change a diaper in a restaurant or on the tray table at your seat on an airplane (yes, I witnessed that too...and the woman got mad because the flight attendant wouldn't take the dirty diaper in the trash bag. She stuffed it in the seat pocket in front of her and left it there when she got off the plane...gross).
Ok so, a bar, a nice restaurant, a Chili's, or even Chick-fil-A does it make it any less gross or shocking? Stupid people are stupid people and unfortunately they invade our space sometimes.lol

I'm definitely hoping to continue my lucky streak of never watching someone change a diaper while I'm eating.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ok so, a bar, a nice restaurant, a Chili's, or even Chick-fil-A does it make it any less gross or shocking? Stupid people are stupid people and unfortunately they invade our space sometimes.lol

I'm definitely hoping to continue my lucky streak of never watching someone change a diaper while I'm eating.
No. Its gross and shocking anywhere. My observation has no real bearing on the discussion here I just thought of it when I read the other guy's story. It just highlights that some people get so wrapped up in their own stuff they can't see how their actions impact others.

matt9112

I do think that guests have this, "what are you going to do about it" attitude. It's the reason I would like to see people with kids being prevented from entering certain restaurants/bars.

or the resort period....if we elevated all guest behavior maybe? now look im not against adult only bars i just find its not the first place to launch a crusade IMO.

matt9112

I have seen adults at Carthay act far worse to the staff and patrons than the kids and parents in the situation you just described.

but see this is attacking the problem not the cause....WITHOUT going political its a lot like the two different opinions on firearms....banning them ect isn't actually attacking the root. (people trying to kill others) as a society we need to shame the hell out of awful parenting...but in this PC world we seem to let anything fly because "personal choice" looks personal choice aside there are poor decisions and good ones not everyone deserves a medal.

21stamps

or the resort period....if we elevated all guest behavior maybe? now look im not against adult only bars i just find its not the first place to launch a crusade IMO.
I think there's a misconception by some on this thread in distinguishing the difference between a bar and most lounges at WDW. There may also be a misconception of the majority of children/parents going on, but that's just my observation.

Adult only bars should definitely exist. Making all food serving lounges that have several drink options, or nice restaurants, "adult only" at family driven destinations shouldn't exist.
The examples that have been given are so extreme that they can not be the majority of what patrons experience.
but see this is attacking the problem not the cause....WITHOUT going political its a lot like the two different opinions on firearms....banning them ect isn't actually attacking the root. (people trying to kill others) as a society we need to shame the hell out of awful parenting...but in this PC world we seem to let anything fly because "personal choice" looks personal choice aside there are poor decisions and good ones not everyone deserves a medal.
If I read the post correctly @janoimagine was saying that plenty of "adults" without children, display horrible behavior.
Bottom line- we can't ban anything and everything that each of us do not like. This, to me, is one of the problems with "everyone gets a medal" and a "safe zone" philosophy. People need to be able to accept when an extreme situation is just that- Extreme. Rare. Uncommon. They need to have the skills to deal with something that they may not like.
You can not prevent the fact that sometimes in life someone else my negatively impact what you are doing in that moment.
You don't deal with it by calling for a "Ban it all!!!!" crusade.

Bandini

I do think certain venues should not allow children under 10 in after 8pm. Why is that such a horrible thing?
I agree with your premise, but people don't seem to be shamed into any type of good behavior.

Additionally, for every 30 sets of parents who are courteous and remove their child from the restaurant when they start misbehaving, there is only one set that allows the behavior to continue.

As far as the idea that a family destination should not have any age restrictions on admission to restaurants or lounges, I think the reason the DCL is so successful is because of these restrictions. On their ships, there are area where kids only are allowed and where adults only are allowed.

Goofyernmost

I do think certain venues should not allow children under 10 in after 8pm. Why is that such a horrible thing?
I agree with your premise, but people don't seem to be shamed into any type of good behavior.

Additionally, for every 30 sets of parents who are courteous and remove their child from the restaurant when they start misbehaving, there is only one set that allows the behavior to continue.

As far as the idea that a family destination should not have any age restrictions on admission to restaurants or lounges, I think the reason the DCL is so successful is because of these restrictions. On their ships, there are area where kids only are allowed and where adults only are allowed.
I don't have a dog in this race, but, what exactly is the purpose of going on a family vacation if you don't want to be with your family. Leave them home and go to Sandals. Or the adult Disney (aka, Los Vegas). Why insist that a location that for this many years has been earmarked for a family type experience, should now change so that you can go out and get plastered without child interference. It is your bad decision to go there, if that is what you want, not theirs.

If you want the adult locations there are these new ideas that revolve around motor vehicles, buses or cabs, that can easily and quickly take you to your favorite watering hole where you can drown you sorrows with all the child free booze your heart desires.

Bandini

I don't have a dog in this race, but, what exactly is the purpose of going on a family vacation if you don't want to be with your family. Leave them home and go to Sandals. Or the adult Disney (aka, Los Vegas). Why insist that a location that for this many years has been earmarked for a family type experience, should now change so that you can go out and get plastered without child interference. It is your bad decision to go there, if that is what you want, not theirs.

If you want the adult locations there are these new ideas that revolve around motor vehicles, buses or cabs, that can easily and quickly take you to your favorite watering hole where you can drown you sorrows with all the child free booze your heart desires.

I guess the people who go on DCL don't share your opinion, since the ships are clearly segregated into child only and adult only areas.

Did I say anything about getting plastered? I don't think I did.

I also don't think my suggestion that some restaurants stop seating kids under 10 after 8pm is reasonable: Citrico's, Artist's Pallette, Sanaa.

You may not have a dog in this race, but your statements do not reflect what I said:

Goofyernmost

I guess the people who go on DCL don't share your opinion, since the ships are clearly segregated into child only and adult only areas.

Did I say anything about getting plastered? I don't think I did.

I also don't think my suggestion that some restaurants stop seating kids under 10 after 8pm is unreasonable: Citrico's, Artist's Pallette, Sanaa.

You may not have a dog in this race, but your statements do not reflect what I said:
Ah, but, it did. First and foremost, it is quite difficult to catch a cab to some other "Adult location" if you are on a cruise unless you are a strong swimmer, so please stop using that example as if it means anything. It doesn't!

Second it wasn't addressing whether or not you get plastered, that was just colorful language to get your attention, which apparently worked. It was about you trying to change the mission and purpose of a Disney park so that you can take care of your personal addictions (excuse me... minor desire). Disney is not the location for you. You need to go someplace where families are secondary and you can sip or guzzle your favorite beverage in peace and quiet with no little ankle biters to interfere. They are where they don't belong, you aren't! The world and all it's entertainment venues do not revolve around you. Go to where they cater to your needs and wants and stop trying to alter everyone elses experience so you can have it your way. Disney's mission statement has been around a lot longer then your drinking needs.

Bandini

Ah, but, it did. First and foremost, it is quite difficult to catch a cab to some other "Adult location" if you are on a cruise unless you are a strong swimmer, so please stop using that example as if it means anything. It doesn't!

Second it wasn't addressing whether or not you get plastered, that was just colorful language to get your attention, which apparently worked. It was about you trying to change the mission and purpose of a Disney park so that you can take care of your personal addictions (excuse me... minor desire). Disney is not the location for you. You need to go someplace where families are secondary and you can sip or guzzle your favorite beverage in peace and quiet with no little ankle biters to interfere. They are where they don't belong, you aren't! The world and all it's entertainment venues do not revolve around you. Go to where they cater to your needs and wants and stop trying to alter everyone elses experience so you can have it your way. Disney's mission statement has been around a lot longer then your drinking needs.
You know nothing about me. Go ahead and keep implying that I'm an alcoholic. I guess slander is your only weapon. I will not try to demean you using these same tactics. I think your responses to me speak volumes. You aren't discussing the issues, instead you are trying to attack me.

drizgirl

Can you not even see that it's not that black and white? It's not full on anything goes any kid anywhere any time or full on drunkenness. There's a lot of middle ground, and I think Disney has done a nice job finding that middle ground while still be a full on family destination. I don't even drink and I can see the value of having a small number of places like that. It's not unreasonable. And honestly, you implying, even if it's just to get someone's attention, that the PP is a drunk when you don't even know them, is beyond rude!

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

I agree with you fairly often on other threads, but this is not your best argument.

Disney is not a religion, it's a business, and things always will change and evolve. It's management's job to find and tap untapped revenue streams at least see how things go. They already have a clientele who are interested in imbibing and since Epcot seems to be most crowded during times with extra drinking, and BoG didn't end the World, it makes sense to give this a shot. (No pun lol.)

rob0519

I agree with you fairly often on other threads, but this is not your best argument.

Disney is not a religion, it's a business, and things always will change and evolve. It's management's job to find and tap untapped revenue streams at least see how things go. They already have a clientele who are interested in imbibing and since Epcot seems to be most crowded during times with extra drinking, and BoG didn't end the World, it makes sense to give this a shot. (No pun lol.)

No, Disney is not a religion, although it does have it's share of fanatics. As a business, Disney has created massive change for itself in finding untapped revenue sources ( BBB, multiple dessert parties, cabanas/tents, hard ticket events of all kinds, etc.). There is also something to be said for keeping traditions alive. The no alcohol at the MK tradition died with BOG. I'm still not sure why it's so difficult for an adult to not have an alcoholic beverage for a few hours in a place designed for family and children. There was no alcohol for over 40 years and it seemed to work fine. The "give it shot" approach is fine, but it opens the barn door so to speak. Once more alcohol is introduced to the park, the more difficult it is to take it away again.

If the change remains beer and wine only at table service restaurants I think it's a fair change. As others have said, if it comes down to beer carts in front of Peter Pan, that in my opinion is over the line for a family park.

Goofyernmost

You know nothing about me. Go ahead and keep implying that I'm an alcoholic. I guess slander is your only weapon. I will not try to demean you using these same tactics. I think your responses to me speak volumes. You aren't discussing the issues, instead you are trying to attack me.
Learn something about the internet. We don't speak of people individually. I don't care one way or the other if you are a tea-totaler or a fall down drunk. That isn't what this is all about. What this is about is wanting things to change for you own personal liking as opposed to what is good for the majority. It never has been about YOU, try thinking in a more abstract form one the may use the word, you, as a definition of people and certain mental attitudes. Disney parks were never built on the premise of put the kids in a box and make like the don't exist so we can play like grown ups without having to deal with them. My whole entire discussion is to say that there are already a lot of places where you can get your grown up on but, that Disney was never thought about to be that destination and shouldn't be. Having alcohol in the parks, in and of itself, is not a problem and shouldn't be for any responsible adult. Start excluding families then you have gone to the wrong place to experience adulthood. Try understanding the difference, because, I obviously am not getting through.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom