Al Weiss Retirement

PirateFrank

Why, because he's an animator that loves trains?

Walt accomplished more in his 20s than Lasseter has in his entire life.

No comparison.

You're kidding, right?

John's work creating pixar has literally redefined animation. While I'm not going to compare Lasseter to Walt, as Walt could've written "defined animation" on his resume...

...there's only one person alive or dead who can claim he redefined it....and that's John Lasseter.

I agree there's no comparison, but there are few visionaries that come close to Walt's accomplishments. One currently works for Disney, the other sits on the company's board.

Tigger1988

You're kidding, right?

John's work creating pixar has literally redefined animation. While I'm not going to compare Lasseter to Walt, as Walt could've written "defined animation" on his resume...

...there's only one person alive or dead who can claim he redefined it....and that's John Lasseter.

I agree there's no comparison, but there are few visionaries that come close to Walt's accomplishments. One currently works for Disney, the other sits on the company's board.

Don't bother, Sleeping Monk has an axe to grind with Pixar.

SleepingMonk

You're kidding, right?

You just said the exact same thing as I did earlier...in a nicer way.

He's just an animator, he's no Walt and he never will be.

TP2000

I was a kid during that era, so nostalgia may play a factor, but I remember WDW as sort of a gold standard product back then... things seemed spotless and well-maintained, merchandise was diverse & in-theme, there were little things to delight (e.g., Caribbean plaza fountains, penny arcade, AA heads in Mile Long Bar, hardcover resort guides in the rooms, etc.), cast looked and acted more professionally, there was less devotion to brand & synergy (i.e. original material), etc.

You were a kid then, so your point of reference is understandably limited. The reality is that the Nunis/Green era was simply the tail end of a decades-long period when Disneyland and WDW looked and acted like that simply because that was the standard clearly set by Walt and his hand-picked executive team.

The tail end of the Nunis/Green era is actually when things began changing for the worse. Judson Green specifically was the guy who felt Disneyland and Magic Kingdom were both mature parks that didn't need any additional rides added to the roster. The result was that when a new ride was built, an older ride was chosen to be removed to help hold down operating costs. This is when stuff like the Keelboats and Canoes and Skyway and PeopleMover (DL version) were all shut down when something else opened.

It wasn't all sweetness and light in that era, and much of their success was due to the parks riding on the last bit of fumes from their Golden Age of the 1950's to 80's. After beginning a slide in the Green era, Cast Member quality, profesionalism and attractiveness went downhill quickly in the late 1990's and early 00's, and the result is we are at the low point we endure now with those front-line CM's looking and acting the way they currently do. At least at the American parks. :(

But back to Al Weiss. This is interesting news. The guy has worked his entire life for Disney, and he is only 57. Something might be up behind the scenes. But then again, he has given a four month notice of his retirement, which in the corporate world is a clear code for not being forcibly ejected. This isn't a corporate coup d'etat at midnight by any means; this is a purposeful and slow-motion changing of the gaurd.

Weiss may simply see more financial opportunity in being a part-time consultant to the global theme park industry, without the headaches of managing Disney Parks. This could very well be a case of a guy who just wants to enjoy life a bit, maybe buy a Corvette and play golf instead of worry about Disney unions and snarky Internet columnists. :lol:

Whatever the case, after 40 years of working for Disney in Florida, the guy deserves a happy retirement.

wedway71

George Kalogridis???

Long career with Disney started off at WDW.... worked way up to VP Epcot, then to Disneyland Paris, now at DL...From what I have heard...he is well liked as well..

Hummer1676

This will be interesting to follow for the next couple of months to see who will step in. This could mean some huge changes and should for TDO. If Meg leaves for the position it will be interesting to see who will step in. Hopefully Tom will evaluate his team and make a good choice. I personally hope he gets someone outside Disney and gets some new blood. Matt would have been perfect but there are some people at corporate Disney that wouldn't let that happen.

TrojanUSC

This was a position that was created for Al Weiss and I feel like they might not replace it. Lots of executives didn't care for the role as it added another layer and complicated operations. "One Disney" globalizing initiative was Jay Rasulo's thing. It will be interesting to see if they replace him or just get rid of the role.

Krack

I'd love to know what people's impressions are of Weiss. Was he loved and looked at as a great executive or loathed like many feel for Crofton and Holmes?

His twelve years as head of WDW was the worst twelve years in the resort's history. Things didn't get any better the five years he was in charge of the entire Parks division.

FlaMel

Excerpted from the Orlando Sentinel

In a separate note to employees, Staggs, the former Disney Co. chief financial officer who now runs the company's theme-park division, suggested that he did not intend to directly replace Weiss. Instead, Staggs said he would detail a new operations structure for Disney's parks division in the coming weeks.

Lee

Adventurer
It will be very interesting to see who replaces him
Doubtful that anyone will. That role is being eliminated, I hear.

Instead, Staggs said he would detail a new operations structure for Disney's parks division in the coming weeks.
This.
Word I'm hearing from multiple people is that Staggs is working to "de-Rasulo" Parks and Resorts.
This, needless to say, is a good thing.
:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom