Al Weiss Retirement

menamechris

Original Poster
Is it just me - or is this a very odd time for him to leave his position? Building a whole new resort in Shanghai and someone new in the Worldwide Operations seat?

SeaCastle

So within a week, Al announces his retirement and Carter and Cockerell switch places. I wonder what this means for TDO. :shrug:

NoChesterHester

I'd love to know what people's impressions are of Weiss. Was he loved and looked at as a great executive or loathed like many feel for Crofton and Holmes?

menamechris

Original Poster
Couldn't hold out just a little longer for that 40 year pin, huh? I can't help but wonder if there is more to his decision.

That's what I would like to know. Especially since this seems rather sudden. You would think a person in his position would be excited about the projects and challenges coming up in the next few years... unless there is more to the story.

wdwfan4ver

Couldn't hold out just a little longer for that 40 year pin, huh? I can't help but wonder if there is more to his decision.

I agree because Al is 57 years old besides the projects that currently is happening at Disney parks and resorts worldwide.

There is something going on with personal life according wikipedia. According Wikipedia, he is separated from his wife. I don't know if that played a role in why he retired.

wdwfan4ver

While I couldn't completely figure out why Weiss is retiring, I am more more curious on who is taking his place and and what the management changes that will happening as an effect of Weiss. I expect more management changes going to happen in the next few weeks or the up coming months.

BigThunderMatt

When Al Weiss left the President position at WDW for this job, Meg Crofton took his place. Considering her track record so far, I really hope she doesn't follow suit.

RandySavage

I'd love to know what people's impressions are of Weiss. Was he loved and looked at as a great executive or loathed like many feel for Crofton and Holmes?

Since you're asking, my personal impression is more towards the latter: I loved the ________ Nunis/Judson Green era of WDP&A. I was a kid during that era, so nostalgia may play a factor, but I remember WDW as sort of a gold standard product back then... things seemed spotless and well-maintained, merchandise was diverse & in-theme, there were little things to delight (e.g., Caribbean plaza fountains, penny arcade, AA heads in Mile Long Bar, hardcover resort guides in the rooms, etc.), cast looked and acted more professionally, there was less devotion to brand & synergy (i.e. original material), etc.

Many of these things - and a lot of my appreciation - went away during Pressler/Rasulo eras. Since Weiss was a big player during this period (although he was still a WDW exec in the Judson Green era), I place a decent portion of what I perceive as a decline in quality on his shoulders, so my feelings are generally negative toward his tenure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom