Al Weiss Retirement

Lee

Adventurer
I would love to know what Staggs means by that.... Any ideas?
That is not his phrase. It was used by a source of mine.
As for what it means...
I hope it means the end of the "Disney Parks" homogenization which was Rasulo's initiative.
Yeah. That's part of it.
It also likely means eliminating some of the beurocratic nightmare, full of Rasulo's yes-men, that currently plagues P&R.

Also, this was not a sudden thing. Al has been slowly...ummm...phased out over the last six or seven months. The timing of the announcement of his "retirement" was the only slight surprise.

Ignohippo

You're kidding, right?

John's work creating pixar has literally redefined animation. While I'm not going to compare Lasseter to Walt, as Walt could've written "defined animation" on his resume...

...there's only one person alive or dead who can claim he redefined it....and that's John Lasseter.

I agree there's no comparison, but there are few visionaries that come close to Walt's accomplishments. One currently works for Disney, the other sits on the company's board.

Well said PirateFrank. :wave:

Ignohippo

You just said the exact same thing as I did earlier...in a nicer way.

He's just an animator, he's no Walt and he never will be.

He's much more than an animator Monk. There is no one more responsible for the success of Pixar than Lasseter. He's had the same responsibilities over Pixar's movies as Katzenberg has had as an executive with Disney and Dreamworks – only Lasseter is an animator as well as a writer AND director of many of Pixar's movies.

To say he's just an animator is completely minimizing his duties and is flat out wrong.

There will never be another Walt Disney, but Lasseter is the closest we've had since he passed.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Why, because he's an animator that loves trains?

Walt accomplished more in his 20s than Lasseter has in his entire life.

No comparison.

Lasseter is the only one, in my opinion, in the company who "gets it" about doing things the Disney way. He has some sort of title over imagineering does he not? He is all about the details and pushing the envelope. He fosters the kind of work environment at Pixar that Walt had with his animators. Where would the companie's animation dept be without Pixar? yeah, we finally got back to hand drawn animation, but the major blockbusters are pixar films. He of course is not Walt Disney, but he's the closest thing we have to Walt Disney inside the company as far as I'm concerned. Putting him over the parks would make me scream in excitement. As I said though, I doubt that will ever happen.

If Staggs is trying to undo the damage done by Rusulo, more power to him.

UberMouse

My vote is Lasseter as well. I completely forgot about him for some reason. Dude has talent and VISION. Right now Disney seems more like a lost child with mild dissociative identity disorder. Direction needs to be paramount. Without VISION you can't have a true bearing to begin in any direction. Walt had Vision, and from that things moved in the right direction.

Kiff

It also likely means eliminating some of the beurocratic nightmare, full of Rasulo's yes-men, that currently plagues P&R.

Sounds like a good start. I would imagine the politics involved in pulling this apart will take a long time though...

SleepingMonk

Lasseter is the only one, in my opinion, in the company who "gets it" about doing things the Disney way. He has some sort of title over imagineering does he not? He is all about the details and pushing the envelope...

Honest question, and I have no idea what the answer is...but what exactly has he done since being made chief creative officer outside Pixar projects like Nemo, MILF and TSMM?

flynnibus

Premium Member
My vote is Lasseter as well. I completely forgot about him for some reason. Dude has talent and VISION. Right now Disney seems more like a lost child with mild dissociative identity disorder. Direction needs to be paramount. Without VISION you can't have a true bearing to begin in any direction. Walt had Vision, and from that things moved in the right direction.

Given the attractions opened that have had his 'close attention' - I wouldn't exactly say he's hitting homers in the parks. TSMM is the best crowd favorite.. pandered by purists. Nemo subs is probably the biggest waste of money since Rocket Rods..

I think people give Lasseter way too much credit. I don't think there is any comparison between his role at pixar to the role of Walt in the 20s-40s. And then in the 50s and 60s when he shifted over to the park instead of the studio.. his ability to pick the team and guide them has been unmatched since. Lasseter looks like a one trick pony in Walt's shadow. JL could have been one of Walt's best story guys.. or maybe a guy like Ben Sharpsteen.. Walt's mule.

JL may be PIXAR's Walt.. but he's not like Walt was to the world or Disney.

NoChesterHester

Doubtful that anyone will. That role is being eliminated, I hear.

This.
Word I'm hearing from multiple people is that Staggs is working to "de-Rasulo" Parks and Resorts.
This, needless to say, is a good thing.
:D

Please help those of us so far outside the loop we only know what we hear on these boards.

By de-Rasulo'ing the parks is that peeling back the layers of bureaucracy or something else? I know the guy was hated by the hard core fans, but I never really understood why. Staggs seems like a breath of fresh air.

**NEVERMIND. I missed where you already answered this question.

TrojanUSC

No one has answered this (that I saw). And I had the same question when I read Al's original retirement statement. Anyone know?

Paul

At the end of a particular shift, you "zero" or "z" a cash register. His job (which no longer exist) was to run the contents of the "zero-ed out" registers to the cash control office. Hence the term z-run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom