Al Lutz--Not much coming to domestic parks re: Lucas purchase

Bairstow

I assume Disney's thought process on Avatar was that they signed on early in the Franchise development. It would be as if the Green Lit a Star Wars land in 1979.

Exactly.
Keep in mind that Avatar made more money than all three Star Wars prequels.
Combined.

Kamikaze

I can't see them launching a new movie without a new ride or land on both coasts in 2015. This is finally their opportunity to use a tried and true IP and launch it across ALL of their different divisions at the same time.

lazyboy97o

So why is Avatar getting built? It's a ground breaking movie (at the time) that made a lot of money but certainly not a franchise. I thought a franchise was a name and multiple products not just a high grossing movie.
I assume Disney's thought process on Avatar was that they signed on early in the Franchise development. It would be as if the Green Lit a Star Wars land in 1979.
As was said, Iger thought he was getting in early on a franchise. Even then, Disney has not been willing to commit to the scope desired by Cameron. It's looking like a rather small land.

WDW1974

The third Disneyland Resort theme park in Anaheim would go on the 100+ acres of expansion property they purchased in the late 1990's. Disney executives have discussed that property as the location of the "third theme park" since around 1999, in bits and bites over the years. For the last five years, however, the attention has been on the 1.2 Billion dollar extreme makeover of DCA and not much has been said about the separate 3rd Park property or its thematic plans.

But with DCA now fixed, and in a stunningly succesful way that exceeds expectations, the attention is quickly shifting to long-term plans for Anaheim's third theme park. Iger's public statements about theme park options for the Marvel franchises in Anaheim fueled that fire. This Lucasfilm announcement will add some gasoline to that fire.

I'd argue that DCA isn't fixed at all now. It's simply much, much, much improved. It's so funny how both fanbois and company execs and Imagineers all tend to forget about Phase II after Phase I opens. They never happen except in coffee table books. And there are plenty of places that need attention in DCA from most of Hollywood Land, especially Dead Man's Corner where Mad T Party is now held and the Hyperion, which needs better entrance/egress and RESTROOMS to Condor Flats to the half of PP that was basically ignored in the makeover.

Al Lutz is obviously speculating and editorializing here. This news seemed to take everyone off-gaurd, even the "insiders" on the Internetz. But I would have to agree with Lutz and his sober assesment of the situation.

And do you notice all the fanboi hate? Why for? What did Al do to deserve that? His column was very well put together and pretty much emotionless. I think WDW fans just don't like the fact he has been brutally honest (like other Spirits I know) about WDW over the years.

WDW1974

yep im sure nobody will show up in 2015/16...silly post from people who are bitter about it...let it go...when it opens try it you may enjoy yourself

Nothing will be opening at WDW in 2015 except maybe the Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn at Flamingo Crossing ... maybe by late 2016, something could open ... but I'd be looking at 2017-2020 before you see anything MAJOR. And that is waaaay too late.

WDW1974

I didn't read the article as anything but a positive take on the acquisition. People are jumping to conclusions over the theme park impact. Takes more than 48 hours to formulate a plan.

No. Seriously, Disney has the plans all ready for a fifth MAGICal gate ... all Star Wars and Marvel ... and that's just the start!:D You wait, Disney RULZ AND UNI DROOLZ!!!!

WDW1974

Actually I am for the Avatar build. If they can make the land look anything like the movie it will be fantastic to walk through.

I just find it funny that everyone hates that Avatar is "not Disney", but is super psyched about SW and Marvel.

What if I told you that I am not even psyched about ANY of the above?

Give me a 21st century tech abled flight over Agrabah on a real Aladdin Magic Carpet ride ... take me on a crazy ride to escape Cruella's clutches ... take me back into the thrilling days of the Wild West ... or take me on a ride into space.

I am tired of simply going into the movies of the moment (and that's even when I like them like Potter and Cars).

Kuhio

I'd argue that DCA isn't fixed at all now. It's simply much, much, much improved. It's so funny how both fanbois and company execs and Imagineers all tend to forget about Phase II after Phase I opens. They never happen except in coffee table books. And there are plenty of places that need attention in DCA from most of Hollywood Land, especially Dead Man's Corner where Mad T Party is now held and the Hyperion, which needs better entrance/egress and RESTROOMS to Condor Flats to the half of PP that was basically ignored in the makeover.
Why am I having such an odd feeling of deja vu just now?

Give me a 21st century tech abled flight over Agrabah on a real Aladdin Magic Carpet ride ... take me on a crazy ride to escape Cruella's clutches ... take me back into the thrilling days of the Wild West ... or take me on a ride into space.

C'mon, be honest... I bet you secretly want to be caught in Cruella's clutches.

WDW1974

Why am I having such an odd feeling of deja vu just now?

Likely just storm related stress ... you probably think the trees are all out to kill you.

C'mon, be honest... I bet you secretly want to be caught in Cruella's clutches.

Nah, she's an old hag. You know I'd much rather be clutched by four young Disney CP fanbois (preferably those who just arrived from red states!):D:eek::cool:

Pentacat

Nothing will be opening at WDW in 2015 except maybe the Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn at Flamingo Crossing ... maybe by late 2016, something could open ... but I'd be looking at 2017-2020 before you see anything MAJOR. And that is waaaay too late.

There's really nothing that was blue-skyed or even pitched over the last few years? I'd have to think that something at least conceptual exists....at least a starting point.

When is HP2 set to come online? As Universal given out a date?

Kuhio

Nah, she's an old hag.
Not true. She's the same age as Anita -- they were schoolmates.

She just comes across as old because half her hair is white. But the direct-to-video prequel, 100 Dalmatians, explained the coloration as being the result of an unfortunate accident (much like what happened to Harvey "Two-Face" Dent), which also warped her mind and caused her to crave dogskin attire.

You know I'd much rather be clutched by four young Disney CP fanbois (preferably those who just arrived from red states!):D:eek::cool:
This would be the perfect place to deploy one of these:
drevil.gif

Magenta Panther

What if I told you that I am not even psyched about ANY of the above?

Or how about an uber-plussed 21st century tech-enabled Peter Pan's Flight? Or a scary trip through a Disney Villain enclave? Or a colorful blast of music and magic in an attraction built around Fantasia?

Nope, not gonna happen. Too much money, creativity and risk involved. This is Iger's Disney, after all...

PalisadesPkteer

Hello Spirit, actually I enjoy the fact you are honest on these boards. Too many people rip you, Lee, Martin, etc apart. Was not aware there was ANYTHING going into Flamingo Crossing! Anything else besides the 2 hotels?

SirLink

Or how about an uber-plussed 21st century tech-enabled Peter Pan's Flight? Or a scary trip through a Disney Villain enclave? Or a colorful blast of music and magic in an attraction built around Fantasia?

Nope, not gonna happen. Too much money, creativity and risk involved. This is Iger's Disney, after all...

Actually the three ideas you have pitched here are about as risk averse as possible - well we all know whatever they build will cost too much money for anything resembling an E-ticket these days what with the layers of management in certain areas. As well as wanting to buy paint made in a village in India rather than buying the $2 tin of paint in your local DIY store.

Risk averse would be creating rides like Spaceship Earth that aren't attached to any brands, and that won't happen until financial analysts look at the P&R to be a place where IP can generated from.

And as much as I like the Spirit and he knows I do - I don't want to see anymore attractions based on animated properties full stop - give it two decades then restart that pipeline. Give me attractions based on Star Wars, Indy, The Muppets and even attractions based on Disney live action properties like Oz/Lone Ranger/Tron.

matt9112

If Universal could build an amazing park where Marvel, Seuss, and Harry Potter can live side by side, I have faith that Disney could do the same with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Marvel.

Ho-boy would that be an amazing park.

Maybe even add in some of Disney's lesser (in-park) used animated movies like Aladdin and Hercules?

I want this. I want it now. haha
amazing yes.....over by noon...also yes.....in non peek season it takes a few hours if your smart on what attractions to visit first to do it all....including WWHP i went in September and was kind of disappointed by how soon it was all done....granted you could shop or enjoy the sights....

Atomicmickey

Original Poster
And do you notice all the fanboi hate? Why for? What did Al do to deserve that? His column was very well put together and pretty much emotionless. I think WDW fans just don't like the fact he has been brutally honest (like other Spirits I know) about WDW over the years.

I thought so, too. Thread started to try to refocus topic on
parks, specifically . . .

Oh, and maybe, a little poking at the beast. All in good fun.

RSoxNo1

Hollywood land definitely needs some love. You described the problems of that land perfectly - I think they can replace Monster's Inc and Muppets, and enclose the stairs of the Hyperion theater and the area can be very much improved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom