Al Lutz--Not much coming to domestic parks re: Lucas purchase

dreamscometrue

I think that all will proceed as planned with Pandora-DAK and Carsland/Pixar expansion for DHS. Those 2 projects, along with FLE/Storybook Circus will appease many Disney fans (not all of course) and allow them to be somewhat content for the next 2-3 years. I expect we will see new Stars Wars attractions at DHS, and perhaps other Disney parks, in about 4-5 years or so.

WDWLover#1

This happened yesterday. I think announcements at next year's D23 expo are more than reasonable. Plans can go from Blue sky to Green Light in that time.

Yes I agree. Take Hyperion Warf for example stuff only seems to happen if it's announced at D23. I hope and pray something if not anything is announced for WDW.:(

Florida_is_hot

I think that all will proceed as planned with Pandora-DAK and Carsland/Pixar expansion for DHS. Those 2 projects, along with FLE/Storybook Circus will appease many Disney fans (not all of course) and allow them to be somewhat content for the next 2-3 years. I expect we will see new Stars Wars attractions at DHS, and perhaps other Disney parks, in about 4-5 years or so.

You know

1) Pandora DAK has been talked about forever, I will only believe it when the construction starts
2) Carsland/Pixar expansion just because Disney fans can type 130+ pages does not even make it rumor

I have a feeling this is just going to be a 100+ page thread with no facts or valid rumors.

Disney said when they purchase Lucas films there will be a 7th film 2015, and future theme park tie-ins but that is all Disney said.

doctornick

Probably. Within the next decade or so. And I'd bet this is where most of the new franchise goes. Along with the other one.

Yeah, I would think that an "action" park in Anaheim with half for Star Wars and half for Marvel would be, well, pretty awesome. Would be a little weird having those properties in DL park as well, though.

doctornick

Regarding "Star Wars in the parks" in the short term... I do think a quick and easy way to put something SW into WDW would be the previously considered permanent Jedi Training Academy in the Sounds Dangerous building. The building is currently unused and contiguous with Star Tours (they could switch the entrance to the side facing Star Tous). I think the plan was sort of a "Enchanted Tales with Belle" setup including an AA Yoda. I don't think that would take too long to build (maybe 2 years), if they wanted to get it out quickly. And I think it's already been to an advanced planning stage so they could get started on actual construction work quickly.

If they have that and Star Tours in place, then they could do a mega expansion for Star Wars in the subsequent years (maybe aiming for a 2017 opening or so) by closing off Backlot Express (becomes Mos Eisley Canteena) and the IJ Stunt show (use that space plus the expansion pad behind it for an E-ticket like a speeder bike coaster plus a smaller C ticket). If they want to be bold, they could even include the American Idol theater for an indoor dark ride and some other retheming of Echo Lake -- Dinosaur Gerties Ice Cream replaced by "Hoth Frozen Treats" or somesuch.

TP2000

Where would it go? And what "other one," Marvel?

The third Disneyland Resort theme park in Anaheim would go on the 100+ acres of expansion property they purchased in the late 1990's. Disney executives have discussed that property as the location of the "third theme park" since around 1999, in bits and bites over the years. For the last five years, however, the attention has been on the 1.2 Billion dollar extreme makeover of DCA and not much has been said about the separate 3rd Park property or its thematic plans.

But with DCA now fixed, and in a stunningly succesful way that exceeds expectations, the attention is quickly shifting to long-term plans for Anaheim's third theme park. Iger's public statements about theme park options for the Marvel franchises in Anaheim fueled that fire. This Lucasfilm announcement will add some gasoline to that fire.

Al Lutz is obviously speculating and editorializing here. This news seemed to take everyone off-gaurd, even the "insiders" on the Internetz. But I would have to agree with Lutz and his sober assesment of the situation.

MickeyPeace

Probably. Within the next decade or so. And I'd bet this is where most of the new franchise goes. Along with the other one.

Nothing has been announced for Orlando. So far as I know. Things have been mentioned that might add up eventually, but nothing of substance yet. Again, from what I know.
I have not been out to Disneyland but everyone has heard about it not having the blessing of size. Where would this third gate go?

TP2000

I have not been out to Disneyland but everyone has heard about it not having the blessing of size. Where would this third gate go?

My post directly above you answers that question. Readers Digest Version: 100 acres on Katella, between Habor and Haster boulevards.

For those not familiar with the Anaheim Resort District, here's a map. (Although there's a couple of pieces of property that Disney owns adjacent to the third park, but is not reflected publicly over sensitivity to displacing current lower-income residents in apartments there).

Third-Theme-Park-L-map.jpg

AVPTI

Am I the only one who shutters at the thought of a Marvel/Star Wars park? I just don't see a consistent theme, since they are so different in my books.

Both Marvel and Star Wars can support their own park better than a combined park.

Star Wars has over 17,000 characters, that's 17,000 Meet and Greets in Disney's books.

RyanTTD

Lets also not forget that Los Angeles Angele's Anaheim Stadium lease is up for renewal in 2016. The Angele's could end up moving to the proposed City of Industry Stadium. That leaves a lot of land that Disney could buy and expand the resort beyond 3 parks.

misterID

If Pandora works out, then yeah, I agree with this.

misterID

I just read the article... For the life of me I don't know how anyone is coming away with him saying anything negative about WDW or that he's bitter or angry over anything. It sounds pretty logical to me and probably he's just reacting to the story.

SirLink

Am I the only one who shutters at the thought of a Marvel/Star Wars park? I just don't see a consistent theme, since they are so different in my books.

Both Marvel and Star Wars can support their own park better than a combined park.

Star Wars has over 17,000 characters, that's 17,000 Meet and Greets in Disney's books.

Well you see there are Heroes and villains in both those IPs that would be a logical 'hook' in building a third gate.

matt9112

Nothing has been announced for Orlando. So far as I know. Things have been mentioned that might add up eventually, but nothing of substance yet. Again, from what I know.

arent they cramped for room over that way?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom