Al Lutz: Carsland for WDW, FLE not Bringing in Guests

WDW1974

Lots of IMHO being used as facts around here...

IMHO you are 100% correct ... and much of it is BS (my opinion, but at least one based on facts and the real world) ... but the problem with working and having a life (or just a way kewl existence in my case) is you often miss seven pages of a thread and when you start catching up you don't realize it's turned into another Disney vs. UNI urinating contest. Does anyone have a peeing smiley? (c'mon with those Tangled toilets opening it could really come in handy in the next few weeks!)

BTW, is it true that the Parks Blog is having a contest and Blondie will help wash your hands if you are one of the 200 winners?

Skibum1970

So, we see WDW sitting somewhat stagnant and seemingly content to take UNI's best shots without a real counterpunch. It's either "rope-a-dope" or a truly stupid decision. I hope that WDW is bringing in Cars Land and some other rides into DHS because I doubt that UNI is going to sit idly by once HP 2.0 and the Jurassic Park 2.0 areas are finished.

I think that some may be jealous because UNI is investing major capital to build rides whereas Disney has opted for NextGen instead of the Next Awesome Ride. If someone loves Disney and visits UNI while determined to hate the place, they just wasted a lot of money for nothing.

WDW1974

never had an In N Out Burger here great things about them..then again ive only been to So Cal once

Like many things, they are overrated. But they also are still damn fine too ... and there's something kewl about the fact they have a very basic menu (but a hidden 'secret' menu with about 30 'options') too.

Know anyone who would have TWO Shamrock shakes at McD's with a lunch? I do!

Disneyhead'71

So, we see WDW sitting somewhat stagnant and seemingly content to take UNI's best shots without a real counterpunch. It's either "rope-a-dope" or a truly stupid decision. I hope that WDW is bringing in Cars Land and some other rides into DHS because I doubt that UNI is going to sit idly by once HP 2.0 and the Jurassic Park 2.0 areas are finished.

I think that some may be jealous because UNI is investing major capital to build rides whereas Disney has opted for NextGen instead of the Next Awesome Ride. If someone loves Disney and visits UNI while determined to hate the place, they just wasted a lot of money for nothing.
I know a lot of Disney fans who go to see what all the talk is about, but they have no real intentions of actually enjoying themselves.

WDW1974

You just had to mention In N Out, didn't you? That sounds good right now.

Their workers get made over minimum wage... Starting price, maybe ten or eleven dollars per hour. The customer service is outstanding.

It's higher than that in many locales ... I remember years ago they were hiring in Vegas for $14 an hour ... to start. They had the best teens I have ever had working at an American fast-food outlet.

When you pay people like crap, why should you expect them to provide much better to the public?

lazyboy97o

I know a lot of Disney fans who go to see what all the talk is about, but they have no real intentions of actually enjoying themselves.
There seems to still be some sort of stigma amongst some Disney fans about admitting to like something non-Disney. It's still a guilty please done in secret. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is so overwhelming praised that it sort of has to be acknowledged lest one be totally dismissed.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well, they did recently plus the area by opening a Ghirardelli there. ... And one aspect of DCA 1.0 that was supposed to come in Phase II was a San Francisco-themed ToT behind the wharf. But we all know what happened there.

The ghiradelli is pretty nice too :)

WDWFigment

An excellent read about a company doing things the right way is The Responsible Company by Yvon Chouinard, founder and owner of Patagonia. Chouinard is a genuine guy who practices what he preaches, and Patagonia truly does things the right way, making durable goods with a limited footprint. It's almost refreshing to hear about companies like Patagonia, Costco, In-N-Out, etc., yet sad that these companies are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Of course, Patagonia is a privately held company, so it's a bit easier for them...

SeaCastle

An excellent read about a company doing things the right way is The Responsible Company by Yvon Chouinard, founder and owner of Patagonia. Chouinard is a genuine guy who practices what he preaches, and Patagonia truly does things the right way, making durable goods with a limited footprint. It's almost refreshing to hear about companies like Patagonia, Costco, In-N-Out, etc., yet sad that these companies are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Of course, Patagonia is a privately held company, so it's a bit easier for them...

The flip side of that is that huge store chains (such as Costco and Wal-mart) have done a fair amount of damage to the middle-class by muscling out mom and pop stores. When a company such as Wal-Mart has such large economies of scale that they can demand the lowest possible costs from manufacturers (like sweatshops in Bangladesh, where there's marginal profits and p***-poor working conditions) and then sell them to us at the lowest possible prices, if you're an independent seller you're going to have a hard time.

A microeconomics professor I once had told us a story about how, when going to a hardware store to buy a tool, the manager working there flat-out told him that he could get the tool at a lower price at Lowe's or Home Depot. Nowadays - at least where I live in Jersey - you'd be hard-pressed to find any independent hardware store, bookstore, coffeeshop, clothing outlet, etc.

I'm not meaning to bang the anti-coporate/globalization drum (as I'm sure that Yvon Chouinard or James Sinegal don't have the death of America's middle class on their agenda), but even while there are responsible companies who pay workers decently, I think it is just damage control at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom