airport security

Status
Not open for further replies.

alliemom

In light of the heightened security at the airports travelers are no longer able to carry liquids, gels or pastes in your carry on bags. This means that we are not able to carry that critical Suntan lotion and have to pack it in our checked bags. I am happy to follow these rules as it will ease my mind traveling next week but was thinking, wouldn't it be nice if Disney provided a sample size of Suntan lotion at check in for those of us using Magical Express as our checked bags will not arrive for quite some time after we get to the resort. Even if they just had a bottle on the desk at check in so that we can put some on our children so that they do not burn as we walk through the parks or lay by the pools for those first couple of hours? Just a thought,that way we wouldn't have to pay out the nose for suntan lotion at the gift shop when we all ready have it packed in out bags?

Senderella

I guess I fit a profile. Tall, overweight, balled, anglo, with gotee. Guess they have had a problem with Nazi rednecks at airports....:rolleyes:

LOL My dh fits the same profile. They made us both remove our TEVAS in Houston where we didn't have to take them off anywhere else :rolleyes:

And I gotta agree w/ MKT... I'm done flying commercial

Upvote 0

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
LOL My dh fits the same profile. They made us both remove our TEVAS in Houston where we didn't have to take them off anywhere else :rolleyes:

And I gotta agree w/ MKT... I'm done flying commercial
I'm glad that I'm not the only one. Maybe I'll burn my miles flying first class to Dubai or some random destination like that as a last hurrah

Upvote 0
I just typed this up and posted it in another thread in the Chit Chat section, and don't really feel like typing it up again...so, here ya go, my current airport adventure :lol:

Well, I'm sitting here in the Sea-Tac Airport, after missing my 8:15 flight to Orlando. I get to be here until 11:00 pm, which is the only alternate flight to Orlando today. My mother and I, having left the house at 6 in the morning, hadn't seen the news, and had no idea of the complete hell that was waiting for us at the airport. The security checkpoint line stretched out halfway to the parking garage- and this isn't a straight line, this is a zigzagging line that could give the Jungle Cruise queue a run for it's money! After hours of waiting in line (Well, mom, our flight left 10 minutes ago and here we are, halfway through the line...) we finally arrived at the security checkpoint. Everybody was required to remove there shoes, whether they were cowboy boots or flip flops. Anything liquid, or with a creamy consistency was confiscated. I am now short foundation and deodorant, but I don't mind having blotchy skin and being stinky if it means we'll be able to thwart the terrorists...The woman behind me was incredibly upset when they threw out her wine. Luckily formula, breast milk and juice were allowed providing there was a child present. Also, medications with a prescription name matching the boarding pass name was allowed, as were important, over the counter medications such as insulin. Besides that, everything had to go. They physically searched both my backpack and my mother's purse once they had been X-Rayed. I'm not sure if it was because we both had makeup or if they were hand searching all of the bags. I didn't really notice. Once we had been cleared, we ran to our gate only to find out that our flight was gone. We received the last 2 tickets for the 11 pm flight to Orlando. My mother and I chose to remain at Sea-Tac for the 13 hour wait, figuring that anything would be better than waiting through security again. Walking around the airport, I've noticed close to 100 bulletins printed on printer paper, listing the things which aren't allowed to be brought on the plane because of the heightened security. The Body Shop was closed, with a sign saying that since almost all of there products would not be allowed on the flights, they would be closed until the security risks were lowered. A woman on the loudspeaker just announced that, in addition to drinks, food will not be allowed to be taken on the flight. This is the first I've heard of that, and let me tell you, I've listened to quite a few announcements in the past 7 hours.

I'm sorry if my post was redundant to what else has been said in this thread, I really didn't feel like sifting through 4 pages :rolleyes:

Cheers to whoever decided that all of Sea-Tac should be a cheaply accessed hotspot- less than 8 bucks for 24 hours :D
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Upvote 0

cmatt

they tell me to put my laptop in the hold in two weeks time - and they can pay for it when it goes missing!

Terror threats really dont bother me in the slightist... people forget we have had this with the ira before...

I digress, airport security is a bit too heavy handed i think... i mean surely if there is a bomb it would go in the hold anyway? Im a tad peaved that this could mean that things such as sun screen will be in the hold - i burn in 5 mins on a hot summers day in scotland :(

Upvote 0

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
from MCO today... I should've stocked up today

Attachments

• 24819060.jpg
    24819060.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0

RogueHabit

they tell me to put my laptop in the hold in two weeks time - and they can pay for it when it goes missing!

Terror threats really dont bother me in the slightist... people forget we have had this with the ira before...

I digress, airport security is a bit too heavy handed i think... i mean surely if there is a bomb it would go in the hold anyway? Im a tad peaved that this could mean that things such as sun screen will be in the hold - i burn in 5 mins on a hot summers day in scotland :(

I think you've missed the point here....

The plan seems to have been to sneak the bomb on in component form, hidden in the base of a sealed can of soda and a camera battery and then to assemble it in the lavatory and explode it in midair, that's why there are bans on so many items...

With respect, take 5 minutes to watch the news or read a News Website such as http://news.bbc.co.uk/ and all of this information is readily available to you.

And seriously, if you're travelling in 2 weeks time then you should really be checking out the website of your airline, which also will have all this information on.

Upvote 0

CoffeeJedi

Anyone else see the shots on the news of people pouring their liquids into a TSA provided trash can? Yeah, cause if anybody has components of a LIQUID EXPLOSIVE hidden in separate containers, MIXING THEM would be a wonderful idea. :brick:

Upvote 0

KnK

You can still take your sunscreen......you just have to pack it in a bag. It's only carry-ons that are being limited.

I went to the TSA website to see what exactly the rules. You can still bring, just not as carry on.

Upvote 0

metscool

I really feel bad for those UK passengers coming to WDW. You can not bring your DVD players and laptops. I can never sit threw a flight without my DVD player.

Upvote 0

DisneySam

Go to the TSA website for specifics www.tsa.gov . I checked it out this morning. I think for our trip, we are just going to buy toothpaste, etc. when we get to Orlando, its just easier. I practically never check bags so for me I would rather have my clothes etc. I have done a lot of travelling for work and fun, my best tip pack all your personals in zip lock bags. Its so much easier for when they go through your bags (and nothing spills.)

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Go to the TSA website for specifics www.tsa.gov . I checked it out this morning. I think for our trip, we are just going to buy toothpaste, etc. when we get to Orlando, its just easier. I practically never check bags so for me I would rather have my clothes etc. I have done a lot of travelling for work and fun, my best tip pack all your personals in zip lock bags. Its so much easier for when they go through your bags (and nothing spills.)

Will you have a rental car because you might not find those things on property at WDW because others might have the same idea beforehand and clean WDW out of these items.

Upvote 0

Tigger1988

Will you have a rental car because you might not find those things on property at WDW because others might have the same idea beforehand and clean WDW out of these items.

I doubt there is going to be a toothpaste famine in Disney, especially now that people know to just pack those items in their luggage.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom