Airport Security Question

PolyneisanAlex

(We are flying out of JFK this August)

are begining plans were Me my Mom, Dad Brother. Now my brother does not want to go so were going to take my Cousin.

The Problem Delta will not let us change the name on the ticket and told us to buy a new ticket for him. NO WAY do we want to pay 800$ round trip for a 12 year old when we only paid 224$ each when we first booked.
Luckley my cousin and brother have the name but my cousin is 12 and my brother is 17 with different last names.

Do the people that check your tickets before bording will find out

disneymyway

I once saw airport security tell a woman on her honeymoon that she couldn't get on the plane because she hadn't changed her name yet and the ticket said her married name but nothing else did. She was crying, pleading, getting hysterical -- no, I wouldn't try it!!!

Upvote 0

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
There are ways around this, but all are illegal.

Google "Chris Soghoian" and you can get ideas of the blatant flaws in airport security, including one very easy way to get around the name problem on domestic flights.

Upvote 0

imamouse

I think it would be risky in your situation, but from personal experience it could be OK. I took my 16-yr old son to WDW this past April. He does not have a driver's license (or learner's permit) yet and his passport had expired. I didn't realize that he does not have a legal form of ID until 2 days before our departure.

I checked the web sites for my airline and airport and learned that accompanied minors (which a 12 yr old would certainly be) are not required to have ID when traveling with an adult/legal guardian. My son is tall and mature looking, yet no one ever asked to see his ID - either in my hometown airport or at MCO.

I'm not saying what's right or wrong - just sharing my first-hand experience.

Upvote 0

disneymyway

There are ways around this, but all are illegal.

Google "Chris Soghoian" and you can get ideas of the blatant flaws in airport security, including one very easy way to get around the name problem on domestic flights.

Oh good lord! :ROFLOL: I'll have to bookmark that in case I'm ever fleeing the law.:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

rwdavis2

Since anyone under 16 does not have to show id you may get away with it. Does the original ticket have an age or does nya information with the airline have the person's age? You just have to get the kid to play along.
Bob

Upvote 0

bfbulldog

Since anyone under 16 does not have to show id you may get away with it. Does the original ticket have an age or does nya information with the airline have the person's age? You just have to get the kid to play along.
Bob

First off, I wouldn't recommend attempting to skirt around the security requirements especially the ones being thrown about here. Despite what you'll find online, if it is uncovered that you are attempting to enter the security checkpoints with fraudulent identification, you will be detained, miss your flight and likely be charged with a Federal crime because despite all the abuse and name calling that is directed at the TSA it is a division of Homeland Security and all of the TSA personnel are Federal Officers. So don't risk it, more than half the stuff you find online is well known by TSA and they have officers whose sole function is to look for it.

ID requirements are 18 not 16. However, if you have a printed ticket with a name on it, you will need to show some form of identification to TSA even if it is a child under 18. Also a valid ID is required by the airline if you are checking in luggage.

Effective June 30 if you do not have a valid government issued ID, you will be denied entry through the checkpoint.

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

First off, I wouldn't recommend attempting to skirt around the security requirements especially the ones being thrown about here. Despite what you'll find online, if it is uncovered that you are attempting to enter the security checkpoints with fraudulent identification, you will be detained, miss your flight and likely be charged with a Federal crime because despite all the abuse and name calling that is directed at the TSA it is a division of Homeland Security and all of the TSA personnel are Federal Officers. So don't risk it, more than half the stuff you find online is well known by TSA and they have officers whose sole function is to look for it.

ID requirements are 18 not 16. However, if you have a printed ticket with a name on it, you will need to show some form of identification to TSA even if it is a child under 18. Also a valid ID is required by the airline if you are checking in luggage.

Effective June 30 if you do not have a valid government issued ID, you will be denied entry through the checkpoint.

What type of ID would a child be expected to show? We've flown 5 times with our 2 young children and have never been asked for ID for them. After my husband and I showed ours, the TSA agent asked my kids their names and checked them against the ticket. :shrug: Are parents expected to start carrying their kids' birth certificates when they fly? Because other than that and their SS cards, they don't have any ID.

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

That is COMPLETELY NOT true! You don't have to show ID for a child under the age of 18 at anytime when you are in an airport. You don't have to give the airlines a child's ID when you check their luggage and you don't have to have ID for a child when you take them through a check point.

Go, take your cousin instead of your bother, no one will look twice at you. Just make sure you don't have a bottle of water or lotion when you walk through security and you will be fine. :brick:

Upvote 0

Phonedave

What type of ID would a child be expected to show? We've flown 5 times with our 2 young children and have never been asked for ID for them. After my husband and I showed ours, the TSA agent asked my kids their names and checked them against the ticket. :shrug: Are parents expected to start carrying their kids' birth certificates when they fly? Because other than that and their SS cards, they don't have any ID.

All that ever happens when I fly with my kids (6 & 9) is they ask their names.

"Who is Caitlin?"
"Me"
"And you must be Mackenzie?"
"Yep"
"Have a good trip"

My kids have passports if it ever comes down to it, but I normaly dont take them when we are going to WDW.

-dave

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

All that ever happens when I fly with my kids (6 & 9) is they ask their names.

"Who is Caitlin?"
"Me"
"And you must be Mackenzie?"
"Yep"
"Have a good trip"

My kids have passports if it ever comes down to it, but I normaly dont take them when we are going to WDW.

-dave

:lol: Yep, subsitute Abby and Matthew and that's essentially all it is.

We don't have passports for them yet (they are 5 & 3), but I don't think we would take them to WDW even if we did.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

EVERY time we have flown we have had to show ID (checked bags or not), they even ask for ID from my 14 y/o (who carries her school ID with a photo). This is at different airports and different airlines. The TSA hates my driver's license because my hair is now short, I have let it go gray and my glasses are different (but you can definitely see it's the same person) . They really want me to update it. I have not been denied boarding, but the always question it. I'll update it in 2011 when I renew. :lol:

We will probably get passports soon, but not in time for our August flights.

Upvote 0

WildLodgeFan

Okay, I have to pull out my moral soapbox for a minute. I agree, I hate to lose money, but what example is being shown to the kids by doing this? Is okay to skirt the rules when it saves me money? The rules may be frustrating and stupid at times and certainly, I'm of the belief to express your opinions and to find ways of changing them. However, think about following them until they do change and set an example that rules should be followed.

Upvote 0

disneymyway

I don't want to get into the "right" and "wrong" of it - I just want to be practical. Maybe 90% of the time you could get away with it but what if you don't? Wouldn't that ruin the vacation?

I would just hate to get caught. That's my selfish motivation to do the right thing in this case!:lol:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom