Airport Security Question

PolyneisanAlex

(We are flying out of JFK this August)

are begining plans were Me my Mom, Dad Brother. Now my brother does not want to go so were going to take my Cousin.

The Problem Delta will not let us change the name on the ticket and told us to buy a new ticket for him. NO WAY do we want to pay 800$ round trip for a 12 year old when we only paid 224$ each when we first booked.
Luckley my cousin and brother have the name but my cousin is 12 and my brother is 17 with different last names.

Do the people that check your tickets before bording will find out

J_Krafty24

Right, Wrong, Indifferent - I withhold judgement.

I just want to point out though - on a previous thread someone mentioned making their own "school" ID's by scanning or downloading an existing ID pattern, adding their picture, printing it and laminating it. I believe the person who posted that idea said they used it for their underage daughter for their flight and it wasn't questioned. Most kids have no government photo ID until they get a drivers liscence anyway.

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

I was a little concerned about a situation I'm going to face on my upcoming trip: 2 adults (my sister & I) and 2 kids (6 & 9, her grandkids) and all of us have different last names. I checked my airline's travel site and it stated that minors traveling with adults don't need ID. However, I am going to have a paper drawn up, signed by their mother and notarized that we have her permission to travel with them, and authorinzing any emergency medical care that may be required. along with copies of her driver's license and medical cards.

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

I was a little concerned about a situation I'm going to face on my upcoming trip: 2 adults (my sister & I) and 2 kids (6 & 9, her grandkids) and all of us have different last names. I checked my airline's travel site and it stated that minors traveling with adults don't need ID. However, I am going to have a paper drawn up, signed by their mother and notarized that we have her permission to travel with them, and authorinzing any emergency medical care that may be required. along with copies of her driver's license and medical cards.

I had the same concern the first time I flew with my daughter because we don't have the same last name. We didn't have any problems. Since then I have flown to Disney with other kids who weren't mine, didn't have my same last name, and honestly looked NOTHING like me and I have never had a problem. No one even looked twice at us.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Very good idea! You have no idea how many people forget about the authorization for emergency medical care and insurance info.
I don't think you will have a problem traveling with kids with different last names (so many people are in that boat nowadays), but better safe than sorry.

Upvote 0

kstella

My children (now16 and 13) have never been asked for id, but they carry their school id anyway just in case. They have been asked their date of birth and a few other questions at the first security checkpoint.

Doesn't your airline offer the ability to change the ticket for a fee that is less than buying an entire new ticket? When my DH was unable to use his ticket last year the airline held it in credit and we were able to apply it toward our next trip.

Upvote 0

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
all of the TSA personnel are Federal Officers.

They are officers. In the same sense that Disney Security are officers, and in the same sense that the guy at the bank who approves your loan is an officer. It's a title, and nothing more. They have NO law enforcement powers whatsoever.

Effective June 30 if you do not have a valid government issued ID, you will be denied entry through the checkpoint.

Wrong.

If you lose or forget your ID for a domestic flight, you will be subjected to identity verification AND a more thorough secondary screening, and will be allowed to board after you've satisfied the identity and security requirements.

If you refuse to show ID, then you won't allowed.

Upvote 0

RedBaron

There is a part of me that wonders if you would have any problems at all with the ticket. How many underage people have a photo ID? I know I did not have a photo ID until I got my drivers license. Sure I had high school, or college ID's, but nothing I would take to the airport with me for official identification purposes. I know things have changed since 9-11, but did not think children needed a photo ID to travel within the US?? :shrug: I'm sure I am probably wrong since I have not flown with my children yet so I don't know the official rules. Quite frankly I have not even considered needing to get official photo ID's for my 4 year old and 21 month old children? Then again I would hate to get caught at the airport and end up in jail (that would totally happen to me, I have the worst luck at airport check points and have no idea why I am frequently singled out?). Here is an easier solution, tell the kid that suddenly does not want to go to WDW "tough luck, you are going" and then there are no ticket problems".

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Even ADULTS are permitted to fly without ID, by federal law. They just have to go through a rigorous secondary screening process.

Also, about a security or airline person asking to see kids' Social Security cards??? It's also illegal to demand a SS card as valid ID. Illegal.

Upvote 0

haveyoumetmark

There is absolutely nothing pleasant about flying anymore. I have flown with a 16 yo that was hassled by the TSA for an ID. I guess it just depends on the 'officer' seeing as they do what they feel like.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

I certainly don't see any need for closing the thread at this point.

I would definitely check with the airline another time and explain the situation to them in greater detail. Perhaps they would be willing to change the name on the ticket for a fee.

Personally, I would not take the risk of lying to the TSA. Not only am I a terrible liar, but I think it send the wrong message to the child in question!

Upvote 0

smk

Even ADULTS are permitted to fly without ID, by federal law. They just have to go through a rigorous secondary screening process.

Also, about a security or airline person asking to see kids' Social Security cards??? It's also illegal to demand a SS card as valid ID. Illegal.
Since this thread is not closed let me ask this one question....please. Didn't the law regarding the showing of ID's just change? (for adults that is)

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Since this thread is not closed let me ask this one question....please. Didn't the law regarding the showing of ID's just change? (for adults that is)
I stand corrected. Thanks for setting the record straight.

According to this link ( http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/06/tsa-nixes-flyin.html ), the new law went into effect on June 21, 2008. However, it maintains a loophole for recently lost ID ... basically, it says you can still travel without ID if you are cooperative and convince a screener that you truly just lost your ID, and then submit to secondary screening.

Upvote 0

Tink313

Last year in aug. the tsa agent that takes your info outside ask for my Childerns brith certificates. I had my 12 & 8 yo but not my 1yo. After some pleases and yes hes mine. I had to go inside with my 3 kids a bunch of luggage and get on the hour and a half line to check in. Thank god the ticket agent was understandable (that I forgot the B.C. at home she said it wasnt a big deal) and let us in. All this and the baby didnt even have a ticket he was a lap child , which was mention on my ticket.:brick:

However coming home we were blocked from doing ME and had to check in at the airport.:(
This year Im going to make sure I have all 3 B.C. Because Im not going through that again.

Upvote 0

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
There is absolutely nothing pleasant about flying anymore. I have flown with a 16 yo that was hassled by the TSA for an ID. I guess it just depends on the 'officer' seeing as they do what they feel like.
I agree wholeheartedly.

What you mentioned about the TSA is the problem I see with them. They operate an ineffective agency that either operates with little oversight and refutes claims of wrongdoing when they're caught, and that also has a well-earned reputation of inconsistency not only from airport to airport, but from officer to officer.

The TSA needs to either be gutted and completely redone to remove the many holes in security we presently have, or removed completely and replaced with a competent contractor. We are no safer today than we were on September 10, 2001. But we do have less rights at the airport now.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom