Airfare changing anyone else's plans?

captainkidd

Our trip is booked and all paid for, except for return airfare. I'm seriously considering canceling this summer though. Airfare is through the roof. We live near Boston and have 3 airports to fly from. Flight down cost $1,000 for the 5 of us. Flight back is gonna run us even more.

I just can't stomach what the oil companies are doing to the economy. Literally, choking it to death. I'm feeling like part of the problem if I contribute to this insanity. The government tells us we need to put money into the economy to get it back on track. How can we do that when it costs $3.60 for a gallon of gas, or it costs a family of 5 over $2,000 to fly to Orlando? To think, just 3 years ago, we could all fly to Orlando for about $600 round trip.

plutospal

I've also noticed the rise in airfares, due to the increase in their fuel costs. It is now $400 round trip per person from Texas to Florida. I feel fortunate that I bought our tickets a few months back for $200 each. I think the days are gone of the very low airfare:(

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

I wish I felt bad for ya... but I don't! Try flying out of NL, Canada if you want to talk expensive! :fork:

It sucks to live in rural NL when you want to fly anyway.

Upvote 0

yensid67

Rising airfare and other costs is the reason I have planned a December 2012 trip...more time to plan and save! Even then its hard to save even 2 years out!
I think if the government wants to get the economy back on track, they will lower the gas! I can't afford to even drive to my hometown to visit family, which is only 20 minutes away! The only people making out on this is the oil companies...maybe the oil companies should be required to 'BAIL OUT' the country since they have so much profit!

Upvote 0

Gracy_hm

Dont be too worried

Its the news more then anything Sudi Arabia is producing over twice the amount of petrol than 2008 with the last spike like this occured. Once the news gets tired of the story and the investors jump back into it I'd say maybe 2 months we will be back to normal...I hope.

I am not too concerned. How long did it take for BP stock to jump up again? How long did it take to dismiss the oil spill? We will drop te story and shift focus elsewhere and prices will drop.

I do feel the pain! I booked right before all this mess and same flight is now 200 more per person.

Upvote 0

Alexx

$1,000 for 5 of you :eek: if only we could be so lucky.
Flying from the UK costs well more than that, which is granted considering it's futher away but still.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Don't get me wrong - No one should feel bad for us. I'm damn grateful we get to take a trip anywhere.:)

It's just too bad that because of what's happening with oil prices, our already weakened economy is getting less help than needed.

Upvote 0

Magical Dreamer

We don't go till November and I'm hoping the dust settles and pricing becomes more reasonable by then......

Last year I got great ticket prices from AirTran....$727. for 5 people round trip from Rochester NY.

As soon as tickets become available I'll be checking AirTran, Southwest, and Jet Blue out of Rochester & Buffalo. I hope to book at $119 or less.

Upvote 0

smk

Is driving down an option? I know it would take two days each way but if that is what stood between me and a vacation I would consider it. Don't cancel the vacation just yet, keep checking the dates on various sites and be prepared to pounce on anything that looks good. I am betting the airlines will cough up some deals, they have to, or else they will suffer too.

Perhaps change resorts? Will that save you any money to put towards airfare?

Upvote 0

meganw1985

I haven't been able to look at flight prices for Dec yet, as SWA does not have them out yet. We're planning on driving anyway though. I figure my days of $160 roundtrip are over, and now we have 3 people to pay for. I'm figuring $400 TOPS for gas, and that's if gas is $5/gal. Yeah its a 16ish hour drive, but I'm trying not to let a little thing like the government determine my Disney trips!!!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Is driving down an option? I know it would take two days each way but if that is what stood between me and a vacation I would consider it. Don't cancel the vacation just yet, keep checking the dates on various sites and be prepared to pounce on anything that looks good. I am betting the airlines will cough up some deals, they have to, or else they will suffer too.

Perhaps change resorts? Will that save you any money to put towards airfare?

No. 5 people, 1,300 miles. I'd go nuts.:hammer:

Changing resorts is an option, but a limited one. There's 5 of us, so Wilderness and AKL are out. The mods are out, except for Riverside, and squeezing 5 into that room would be uncomfortable as hell. We could do 2 rooms.....

The thing is, I'm very stubborn. And I have my limits. This situation with the gas prices REALLY gets under my skin. Disney at least has options for us. Getting there, there are very few to get us around this oil price issue.

I've felt strongly on this issue for many years. Oil/gas is the blood of this country, if not the world. The government sees fit to stick it's nose into other issues where we don't need them. The one area we really need them to do something about, and they REFUSE to get involved. It just drives me crazy.:mad:

Upvote 0

Disneydreamer23

:pI went in December and for 2 people from Chicago was 600.00 but now lookin at airtran flights each flight went up 50 or more per person. This does sadden me but im not gunna go to disney because of it. Try buying the insurance its 15.00 a person and if the flight goes down you can get it for that price, but summer is expensive i always buy as soon as the date comes out because farther in advance i feel the cheaper! Good luck!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
:pI went in December and for 2 people from Chicago was 600.00 but now lookin at airtran flights each flight went up 50 or more per person. This does sadden me but im not gunna go to disney because of it. Try buying the insurance its 15.00 a person and if the flight goes down you can get it for that price, but summer is expensive i always buy as soon as the date comes out because farther in advance i feel the cheaper! Good luck!

I've checked SW daily since the day the fares became available. I bought going down at $169. They've only gone up to $184.

We go every July or August and I've never seen airfare from SW or JetBlue as high as it is this year.

Upvote 0

Disneydreamer23

Nice thank you, heres the thing ha ha I am deathly afraid to go on a plane and sit alone and south west you cant pick your seats. Do you have any suggestions for me lol?:shrug:

Upvote 0

Korfar

I was very lucky and bought tickets on SW from Chicago for $187 a person round trip. That is for an August trip. They are closer to $250 a person now and will only get worse.

Upvote 0

Lisalyn

I'm actually going solo in September and was psyched - OH YEAH can finally afford to fly......then everything hit the fans so now I'm thinking if the dust doesn't settle...I'll drive myself. Just wanted to fly as a treat since I'm going on my own but money is money! although by the time I go gas could be $5/gallon :eek: - so flying could be cheaper!

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

The kids & I drove down in November last year while the hubby was working (we left a few days ahead of him). He flew in to meet us on arrival day. That worked out nice. It was a 14 hour drive that we split into 2 days with a little visit with family at the halfway point. I enjoyed it, especially the drive. This year, if we make this September trip, we plan to drive again. We'll have a 3rd driver this go around (our oldest just turned 15 & will be getting his permit soon) so we think we'll be able to drive it straight thru. I agree, flights are getting crazy. Even if flights were lower, they'd have to be about $140 or less including checked bags round trip for me to even think about flying. We all know that isn't going to happen so I don't even look anymore. I like the road trip and especially like having my own car at WDW so I'm not dependent upon Disney's transportation.
:wave:

Upvote 0

lilclerk

Nice thank you, heres the thing ha ha I am deathly afraid to go on a plane and sit alone and south west you cant pick your seats. Do you have any suggestions for me lol?:shrug:
Make sure you check in 24 hours before your flight or pay the $10 for early bird check in. That way, you can be in the first group on the plane and get your pick of seats.

Upvote 0

Diane Hughess

I KNOW! It's NUTS! We're going in Aug., and when SW released our dates, it was $95 each way. I have to wait another week yet until some medical tests come back before I book, so I checked again and that $95 flight is now $245!! Holy cow! As we couldn't go to WDW last year, NOTHING is stopping us. If need be, we'll drive from Jersey and back, although I'll be the only driver. The kids don't have school, Mom is retired, so I'll just have to take a couple more days off work. Sometimes you really have to work at getting to your Magical Place!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom