Aggressive/Nasty Security Member Encounter

thomas998

I was partly inspired to share this experience I had almost exactly a year ago (March 2018) after reading some other posts about rude cast members or other interactions (especially the Flower and Garden Festival 2004 incident thread). I mean, it was a year ago and I know it might be redundant to share now, but since it was the most vicious experience I ever had with a cast member, I couldn't help but post it here after recently joining this forum- and am curious if anyone else has ever had a similar experience.

Following is an slightly abridged (to keep the main gist for this forum) version of the email I sent to WDW Guest Communications which explains the whole encounter. I know it is very wordy, but I was pretty spun up about it at the time and wanted to convey the entirety of my feelings in regards to the incident.

After doing some research, it appears that they had been doing this type of security check at the TTC for at least a year before March 2018, and I had indeed visited within that time before (just once), but it had been long enough that I had forgotten the procedure, hence my reaction to the situation.

Interestingly, in the last year I've been visiting WDW, I've had great experiences with security guards, and it almost seems as if they make a conscious effort to be more friendly- I've had several bag checkers joke around with you, and they even have guards waving to guests walking back to the parking lot at the end of the day.

Dear Walt Disney World Guest Communications,

I hope you hear my input and take it into consideration to make sure
the described incident does not happen again.

I always appreciate/applaud friendly cast members/workers in the parks.
I understand what it is like to work with the public. I have worked in fast food,
grocery store, customer phone service, and retail. I know what it is like to deal with
rude customers. I have been brought up with and try to live the ideal of "a gentle
answer turns away wrath." So many conflicts I have observed could
have been so easily prevented if words had been calmly voiced rather
than in an aggressive or belligerent manner.
I know that to work at Disney, cast members/workers have to deal with a constant
flood of people that try to break the rules, are not informed of the rules, and
think the rules don't apply to them. I know this can be very stressing and taxing
on someone 24/7.

On March 11th, 2018, I and my parents came to the TTC to get
on the monorail to go to Epcot. At approximately 9:30am we were going through security
to get into the TTC. I had a small camera case and a plastic bag with some
clothing items inside. I went through the bag check with no incident. While
I was in bag check, I noticed that just beyond there were metal detectors that
people were going through. Being partially distracted with the bag check,
I didn't notice that not everyone had to go through the metal detectors and
various people were selected randomly by a security guard. I expected I was going
to have to go through the metal detectors- part of this thinking was due to the fact
that I had flown recently and was used to doing both the bag check and metal detectors
at airport security.

So there were two lines to go through the metal detectors, and the one that came out on
my side was a lot more full than the other one on my right. I figured it would be more
efficient to get in line for the metal detector on the right. I walked over there, and
right as I was getting into the line, one of the security guard men came over to me,
got close to my face, and said in a raised, very angry voice: "DID I CALL YOU TO COME
OVER INTO MY LINE!?" The body language, tone of voice, and intrusion right into my
physical distance of comfort made me think I had done something much more wrong than
just getting in line for a security check. I was tongue tied trying to figure out what
was the matter. I still thought EVERYONE had to go through the metal detectors, so I
thought that maybe he was mad at me for trying to go across into the other line since it
wasn't on the side I came out from the bag check. I wasn't sure what I was supposed
to do, the security guard then continued in an aggressive, loud, tone reprimanding me-
he said something to the effect of "YOU NEED TO TURN 5 FEET TO THE LEFT AND GO
15 FEET FORWARD!" I was so shaken up and confused that my mind was frozen. I couldn't
make sense of what he was saying. I was mortified to leave without going through the metal
detectors, and I didn't want to get yelled at more or get into worse trouble for evading security.
At this point he had gotten me to move over to the center in between the metal detectors, but I still
didn't understand, and I tried to walk back into the line, and he again aggressively spouted to me
something to the effect of: "BUD, GET OUT OF HERE AND GO OUT THERE!!!" I finally
understood what he meant and quickly exited in between the two metal detectors.

I was very shaken up to have been yelled at in that manner in front of everyone. I felt
as if he acted like I was willingly trying to cause trouble and he was on the verge
of taking more drastic measures with me.

I suppose that due to dealing with "out of line" guests all the time, this security guard snapped and
vented out pent up anger and frustration. All he needed to do was tell me in a normal tone of voice:
"Hey there, you don't need to go through the metal detectors unless you are called to;
go on ahead and exit through here" (and point/motion where to go).

I know security guards need to act strongly much of the time to deal with security
concerns and imply a presence. But with me, I was simply a guest who did not
understand a very simple procedure. I don't think I ever spat out 2 words and
was completely calm and expressed no emotion (besides confusion) during the ordeal.
There is absolutely no problem with giving orders/direction with guests in a firm manner
if necessary, but anything with anger, rudeness, or aggressiveness I believe is completely
uncalled for when the guest is compliant and simply confused needing calm,
clear direction. A further worry of mine would be for this security guard to lash out in such a
manner to a guest who has a mental condition that could possibly terribly upset or tip over the
edge such an individual.
I know what it is like to inwardly become frustrated with customers, but I never
let my emotions spill out to lash out at someone like that.

For a good portion of the time after this incident, I was fairly shaken up
and had trouble enjoying everything fully. I have always been a very
sensitive person, and this really affected me.

I really wish I could express to this security guard how he made me feel and that
the situation could have been resolved much easier if dealt with in a better way. To
him, I was just a nameless, incompetent, tourist whom he had no problem lashing out
pent up anger and frustration to.

I really hope your company stresses to all workers to not let their emotions or egos get
the better of them and lash out in anger at guests- especially those who are trying
not to cause trouble in the first place. To have an encounter
like this on my holiday was very discouraging.

Sincerely,

Matthew ***

__

Following I did get an email from someone in "Guest Experience Services" with an appropriate, yet somewhat canned response saying that they deeply value the telling of my experience at the "Bag check area of the Ticket and Transportation Center (i.e. insert keyword here), apologize that this cast member didn't uphold their high standards, reassure that my feedback would be "forwarded to the appropriate leaders," and that they will make sure to respect guests while keeping their number 1 priority of safety....

At the time, I was fairly satisfied and happy that they even replied, but reading over the response again a year later, I feel maybe just a little miffed of it being not the most personal. Still, I suppose someone had to read it for them to know what kind of response to send back, and since I've had positive experiences with security members since that time, I at least like to hope that my comment maybe had a part in helping there be a noticeable effort for security members being more friendly nowadays.
You made the mistake of trying to help speed up a process. I've have been guilty of that in the past and quickly learned it doesn't speed up a processes it just causes it to take longer... though in my learning experience I answered all the standard question they ask you at the airport check in, you know the did you pack you bag, did anyone give you anything... blah blah blah... I used to fly so much that I could have recited them better than I could the pledge of allegiance so I decided to just to them their question and answer them when I gave them the ID and ticket... didn't work... All it did was annoy them and they still went through the same questions one at a time slow as a snail.... So when I do Disney I don't try to help them at the gates I just try to game the system... Look at the people checking bags and try to determine which ones are going slowest, then try to avoid those lines, then watch as the second guard picking random people for the metal detector turns away from where you are and that is when you want to quickly walk in and away from them... it becomes a game of how often can you miss being picked and how quickly you can get through... the bag check is played by watching the people in the other lines that got there when you got there and seeing if you picked the faster line. But don't try to help them, just play the game and move on.... If you really want to play the game make sure you have a bag you can wad up in carry in a pocket because once in a while you'll find that a bag check line goes faster than the no bag line, not often but sometimes... and while I generally try not to carry a bag I have learned to carry and empty one just to make sure I can jump into the bag line which I've seen CM's tell people without bags to get out of and enter the no bag line when no bagger people use the faster bag line.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You made the mistake of trying to help speed up a process. I've have been guilty of that in the past and quickly learned it doesn't speed up a processes it just causes it to take longer... though in my learning experience I answered all the standard question they ask you at the airport check in, you know the did you pack you bag, did anyone give you anything... blah blah blah... I used to fly so much that I could have recited them better than I could the pledge of allegiance so I decided to just to them their question and answer them when I gave them the ID and ticket... didn't work... All it did was annoy them and they still went through the same questions one at a time slow as a snail.... So when I do Disney I don't try to help them at the gates I just try to game the system... Look at the people checking bags and try to determine which ones are going slowest, then try to avoid those lines, then watch as the second guard picking random people for the metal detector turns away from where you are and that is when you want to quickly walk in and away from them... it becomes a game of how often can you miss being picked and how quickly you can get through... the bag check is played by watching the people in the other lines that got there when you got there and seeing if you picked the faster line. But don't try to help them, just play the game and move on.... If you really want to play the game make sure you have a bag you can wad up in carry in a pocket because once in a while you'll find that a bag check line goes faster than the no bag line, not often but sometimes... and while I generally try not to carry a bag I have learned to carry and empty one just to make sure I can jump into the bag line which I've seen CM's tell people without bags to get out of and enter the no bag line when no bagger people use the faster bag line.
Last time I walked into DAK, I zipped thru the "nothing to declare" line (no bags) and caught the eye of a Security CM at one of the magnetometers. I pointed to me, then to it, and raised my hands to indicate a question mark. She shook her head and pointed me to the tapstiles. Didn't slow either of us down.

PatInCT

hehe, I'd love to see how some of you would react to the security at Disney Paris. It would probably scare the freaking crud out of a lot of you.

Armed military patrols of 2-4 walking around in full combat gear, guns at the ready to fire if they need to.
Dog patrols with muzzled, mean, angry barking dogs- most of them German shepherd or similar dogs. Not ones you want to come near.
The security station looks like military police running what you would go through at the airport- bag scanners, metal detectors, wands, frisking in some cases, and not there to be friendly.

After that, you'd probably think Disney security in Orlando is practically handing out daisies to everyone. 😁😆
My wife and daughter went there 2 weeks ago on a visit to Paris and didn't see any armed patrol or dogs.

SirWillow

My wife and daughter went there 2 weeks ago on a visit to Paris and didn't see any armed patrol or dogs.

Really? Not trying to be rude, but were you paying much attention when you walked into the Downtown Disney area that is the entrance to the parks, hotels, etc?
I'm hoping this doesn't violate forum rules, but I'm using this as a means to inform on differences, not advertise. Otherwise I'm uploading or liking to a bunch of photos. But I show some of the security points and soldiers in a video, timestapped to take you right to it, at
It's at the 7:28 mark if for some reason the time stamp doesn't work.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

I too have had unnecessarily negative experience with Disney security. Random bag check, wife gets pulled aside with one kid, I have the other and skipped the bag check. Waiting for rest of party at end of bag check zone. Was told, way too sternly, "move along". Lol, I replied just as sternly "no", and that was that.

To be fair, security can be a thankless job and people are human. It wears on you and you have mini-breaks in the company narrative. I did not let that incident foul my day. If anything, I felt bad for the guy. ...but I wasn't going to let barny fife separate me from my family :p
I'm just as snarky, but the problem with butting heads with security or any authority is you'll always lose if they come back at you.

The fact you said "No" sternly and that was that is just a lucky interaction. The next time, you may have a power trip guy that chooses to take you aside and call you a security threat. You have no power. They can at minimum ruin your day and maybe your entire trip.

It's just like getting into it with regular police officers or TSA agents. You're probably more educated, smarter, and maybe even in the right, but it's just not worth fighting with them because it's a losing battle...especially in the near term. You just want to get in the parks and start having fun, get on the plane to your destination, or drive to wherever you want to go.

Arguing with authority when you have none is just not very smart.

Willmark

I'm just as snarky, but the problem with butting heads with security or any authority is you'll always lose if they come back at you.

The fact you said "No" sternly and that was that is just a lucky interaction. The next time, you may have a power trip guy that chooses to take you aside and call you a security threat. You have no power. They can at minimum ruin your day and maybe your entire trip.

It's just like getting into it with regular police officers or TSA agents. You're probably more educated, smarter, and maybe even in the right, but it's just not worth fighting with them because it's a losing battle...especially in the near term. You just want to get in the parks and start having fun, get on the plane to your destination, or drive to wherever you want to go.

Arguing with authority when you have none is just not very smart.
Agreed.

As I get older it becomes more apparent that aside from arguing over rides and an amusement park on the internet... cost benefit outweighs a lot of decisions I make these days.

Our OP got yelled at.... and? Not trying to sound too dismissive but if it were me I’d shrug or if he was in my Face I’d maybe tell him to “Have a Disney Day?” after all he can’t provr anything with that statement right? (Note a lot of that is tongue in cheek).

Either way trying to fight city hall as it were? Good luck.

Chadder810

I wasn't planning on posting this but decided to after thinking about it the past couple of days.

While going through the security line at the park entrance for Animal Kingdom last week, my camera bag was searched like everyone else. What was unusual and frustrating was the level of attention "Garrett", the name of the security person, gave to what was in my bag. He took it upon himself to comment and show others 4 items from my bag.

• My iPod. He took this out of my bag and held it up for others to see
  • My Samsung phone charger. He said to the people in line, he wondered why I had this even though I had an iPod in my bag. Not sure why it mattered to him
  • A button from Magic Kingdom (for maxing out the points on Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin). He moved other things around in my bag so he could read what it said
  • A sock that contained a camera lense filter (I had forgotten the case for it). He pulled this out of the bag and held it up for others to see

Normally most of this stuff wouldn't have been in my bag, but we were leaving right from the park and heading to the airport. I should also note, this all happened at 8:45AM and there were about 10 people behind me waiting to be checked.

Since my family only had a few hours available in the park that day, I didn't complain to anyone, since that would have left us with less time in the park. My wife was appalled by the security guards behavior. I couldn't believe how unprofessional he was.

I shouldn't have to explain to security what's in my bag, if it's not banned. I should be checked and allowed to move along with my day.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
A few months back I remember waiting in line at bag check at DHS. I remember they were giving some woman a hard time (not sure if it was a selfie stick or some other prohibited item).

I just remember the tone of voice coming from the security guy: "You can't come into my park with that", he went on with a couple of more variations but always included "my park". I really wanted to question him on whether or not it was actually "his park".....but it probably wouldn't have worked out well for me. Just the tone he said it in - really irritated me for some reason.

Chef Mickey

I wasn't planning on posting this but decided to after thinking about it the past couple of days.

While going through the security line at the park entrance for Animal Kingdom last week, my camera bag was searched like everyone else. What was unusual and frustrating was the level of attention "Garrett", the name of the security person, gave to what was in my bag. He took it upon himself to comment and show others 4 items from my bag.

• My Samsung phone charger. He said to the people in line, he wondered why I had this even though I had an iPod in my bag. Not sure why it mattered to him
  • A button from Magic Kingdom (for maxing out the points on Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin). He moved other things around in my bag so he could read what it said
  • A sock that contained a camera lense filter (I had forgotten the case for it). He pulled this out of the bag and held it up for others to see
Normally most of this stuff wouldn't have been in my bag, but we were leaving right from the park and heading to the airport. I should also note, this all happened at 8:45AM and there were about 10 people behind me waiting to be checked.

Since my family only had a few hours available in the park that day, I didn't complain to anyone, since that would have left us with less time in the park. My wife was appalled by the security guards behavior. I couldn't believe how unprofessional he was.

I shouldn't have to explain to security what's in my bag, if it's not banned. I should be checked and allowed to move along with my day.
That was an inappropriate way for him to handle a bag check, bottom line. I’d drop a note to Disney on it.

correcaminos

Yeah I hate it that some woman's clothes do not have pockets, it is stupid. I don't carry a purse in my day to day life and so I have a few small wallets that I use. I order woman's cargo shorts online so that I have my much needed pocket space. I love not having to worry about a bag when I am at the parks.
Short girl problems... haven't found cargo shorts that aren't ridiculously long on me :(

Fortunately I am married to a man who can carry what little we need. The cell phone case on a strap is so helpful. Even locally going to events they aren't viewed as bags.

Totally uncool! He shouldn't have done that.

markc

I was just there two weeks ago as well, and the armed patrol were there and VERY visible. They're stationed more closer to the train station/Disney Village and typically don't enter the parks.

EOD K9

You can't come into my park with that", he went on with a couple of more variations but always included "my park
Basically our mentality is that we take pride in protecting what you like to visit. That goes for Disney or the cities and communities in which we work. Their motto is, "Protecting the Magic" Don't ask for my motto. While I agree the "my park" thing is a bit much, it shows they care. In my twenty years, I have taken possession of a road or two.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Basically our mentality is that we take pride in protecting what you like to visit. That goes for Disney or the cities and communities in which we work. Their motto is, "Protecting the Magic" Don't ask for my motto. While I agree the "my park" thing is a bit much, it shows they care. In my twenty years, I have taken possession of a road or two.

Of what I recall....the guy came across more like an Army Drill Sergeant than Disney Security. I think it was all in the tone. Almost thought is was R Lee Ermey (RIP).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom