Aggressive/Nasty Security Member Encounter

MattFrees71

Original Poster
I was partly inspired to share this experience I had almost exactly a year ago (March 2018) after reading some other posts about rude cast members or other interactions (especially the Flower and Garden Festival 2004 incident thread). I mean, it was a year ago and I know it might be redundant to share now, but since it was the most vicious experience I ever had with a cast member, I couldn't help but post it here after recently joining this forum- and am curious if anyone else has ever had a similar experience.

Following is an slightly abridged (to keep the main gist for this forum) version of the email I sent to WDW Guest Communications which explains the whole encounter. I know it is very wordy, but I was pretty spun up about it at the time and wanted to convey the entirety of my feelings in regards to the incident.

After doing some research, it appears that they had been doing this type of security check at the TTC for at least a year before March 2018, and I had indeed visited within that time before (just once), but it had been long enough that I had forgotten the procedure, hence my reaction to the situation.

Interestingly, in the last year I've been visiting WDW, I've had great experiences with security guards, and it almost seems as if they make a conscious effort to be more friendly- I've had several bag checkers joke around with you, and they even have guards waving to guests walking back to the parking lot at the end of the day.

Dear Walt Disney World Guest Communications,

I hope you hear my input and take it into consideration to make sure
the described incident does not happen again.

I always appreciate/applaud friendly cast members/workers in the parks.
I understand what it is like to work with the public. I have worked in fast food,
grocery store, customer phone service, and retail. I know what it is like to deal with
rude customers. I have been brought up with and try to live the ideal of "a gentle
answer turns away wrath." So many conflicts I have observed could
have been so easily prevented if words had been calmly voiced rather
than in an aggressive or belligerent manner.
I know that to work at Disney, cast members/workers have to deal with a constant
flood of people that try to break the rules, are not informed of the rules, and
think the rules don't apply to them. I know this can be very stressing and taxing
on someone 24/7.

On March 11th, 2018, I and my parents came to the TTC to get
on the monorail to go to Epcot. At approximately 9:30am we were going through security
to get into the TTC. I had a small camera case and a plastic bag with some
clothing items inside. I went through the bag check with no incident. While
I was in bag check, I noticed that just beyond there were metal detectors that
people were going through. Being partially distracted with the bag check,
I didn't notice that not everyone had to go through the metal detectors and
various people were selected randomly by a security guard. I expected I was going
to have to go through the metal detectors- part of this thinking was due to the fact
that I had flown recently and was used to doing both the bag check and metal detectors
at airport security.

So there were two lines to go through the metal detectors, and the one that came out on
my side was a lot more full than the other one on my right. I figured it would be more
efficient to get in line for the metal detector on the right. I walked over there, and
right as I was getting into the line, one of the security guard men came over to me,
got close to my face, and said in a raised, very angry voice: "DID I CALL YOU TO COME
OVER INTO MY LINE!?" The body language, tone of voice, and intrusion right into my
physical distance of comfort made me think I had done something much more wrong than
just getting in line for a security check. I was tongue tied trying to figure out what
was the matter. I still thought EVERYONE had to go through the metal detectors, so I
thought that maybe he was mad at me for trying to go across into the other line since it
wasn't on the side I came out from the bag check. I wasn't sure what I was supposed
to do, the security guard then continued in an aggressive, loud, tone reprimanding me-
he said something to the effect of "YOU NEED TO TURN 5 FEET TO THE LEFT AND GO
15 FEET FORWARD!" I was so shaken up and confused that my mind was frozen. I couldn't
make sense of what he was saying. I was mortified to leave without going through the metal
detectors, and I didn't want to get yelled at more or get into worse trouble for evading security.
At this point he had gotten me to move over to the center in between the metal detectors, but I still
didn't understand, and I tried to walk back into the line, and he again aggressively spouted to me
something to the effect of: "BUD, GET OUT OF HERE AND GO OUT THERE!!!" I finally
understood what he meant and quickly exited in between the two metal detectors.

I was very shaken up to have been yelled at in that manner in front of everyone. I felt
as if he acted like I was willingly trying to cause trouble and he was on the verge
of taking more drastic measures with me.

I suppose that due to dealing with "out of line" guests all the time, this security guard snapped and
vented out pent up anger and frustration. All he needed to do was tell me in a normal tone of voice:
"Hey there, you don't need to go through the metal detectors unless you are called to;
go on ahead and exit through here" (and point/motion where to go).

I know security guards need to act strongly much of the time to deal with security
concerns and imply a presence. But with me, I was simply a guest who did not
understand a very simple procedure. I don't think I ever spat out 2 words and
was completely calm and expressed no emotion (besides confusion) during the ordeal.
There is absolutely no problem with giving orders/direction with guests in a firm manner
if necessary, but anything with anger, rudeness, or aggressiveness I believe is completely
uncalled for when the guest is compliant and simply confused needing calm,
clear direction. A further worry of mine would be for this security guard to lash out in such a
manner to a guest who has a mental condition that could possibly terribly upset or tip over the
edge such an individual.
I know what it is like to inwardly become frustrated with customers, but I never
let my emotions spill out to lash out at someone like that.

For a good portion of the time after this incident, I was fairly shaken up
and had trouble enjoying everything fully. I have always been a very
sensitive person, and this really affected me.

I really wish I could express to this security guard how he made me feel and that
the situation could have been resolved much easier if dealt with in a better way. To
him, I was just a nameless, incompetent, tourist whom he had no problem lashing out
pent up anger and frustration to.

I really hope your company stresses to all workers to not let their emotions or egos get
the better of them and lash out in anger at guests- especially those who are trying
not to cause trouble in the first place. To have an encounter
like this on my holiday was very discouraging.

Sincerely,

Matthew ***

__

Following I did get an email from someone in "Guest Experience Services" with an appropriate, yet somewhat canned response saying that they deeply value the telling of my experience at the "Bag check area of the Ticket and Transportation Center (i.e. insert keyword here), apologize that this cast member didn't uphold their high standards, reassure that my feedback would be "forwarded to the appropriate leaders," and that they will make sure to respect guests while keeping their number 1 priority of safety....

At the time, I was fairly satisfied and happy that they even replied, but reading over the response again a year later, I feel maybe just a little miffed of it being not the most personal. Still, I suppose someone had to read it for them to know what kind of response to send back, and since I've had positive experiences with security members since that time, I at least like to hope that my comment maybe had a part in helping there be a noticeable effort for security members being more friendly nowadays.

Last edited:

jloucks

I too have had unnecessarily negative experience with Disney security. Random bag check, wife gets pulled aside with one kid, I have the other and skipped the bag check. Waiting for rest of party at end of bag check zone. Was told, way too sternly, "move along". Lol, I replied just as sternly "no", and that was that.

To be fair, security can be a thankless job and people are human. It wears on you and you have mini-breaks in the company narrative. I did not let that incident foul my day. If anything, I felt bad for the guy. ...but I wasn't going to let barny fife separate me from my family :p

SteamboatJoe

Security at Disney would be tough. You're supposed to be incredibly pleasant but have to be ready to deal with really serious matters at any second. I imagine trying to have both mindsets at the same time can be challenging.

I don't know if it's the case here, but I know from experience with co-workers that some ex-military individuals, who are otherwise really good people, can occasionally have difficulty dealing with ordinary civilians. Same with former state troopers. Both types are often employed in this sector. The incredibly high expectations, demand for order, authoritarian chain of command mentality, and proclivity for blunt, direct communication can become very engrained and tough to temper.

None of this would excuse the treatment you received but it could possibly explain it. Of course, it's also possible none of the above applies and the guy was just a jerk, responding poorly to stress, a bad employee, completely overreacting, and/or on a severe power trip.

JIMINYCR

I have never had what I would call a bad experience with security. I have been frustrated by experiencing some who go through every tiny crevice and IMHO take too long to inspect my belongings. The majority are professional and handle their jobs with humor and joy. With so many cast members with variable backgrounds and personalities, no matter how much training they get, you will eventually encounter one who fails to bring the Disney magic. You caught the one who for whatever reason at the time failed. You did the right thing notifying Disney but if you didnt identify the person, he escaped any repercussions. Youre one of many who wrote a complaint in about a trip experience that was less than you wanted and its not surprising that yours didnt get a personal response. Its in the past, at least you got it off your chest and can now move on.

draybook

Of the few security guards with attitude I've dealt with down there, I'd be amazed if any of them had prior service. If they did, they must have been pogs. That being said, I always, and I mean ALWAYS take their name and hometown lited on their badge down to submit with my feedback. I do the same for CMs that are awesome, which is a much longer list.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I've had 3 trips to WDW since October 2018 and I've noticed security having more and more "attitude" every time I go. Just last week at (I don't even remember what park) if someone didn't have EVERY zipper on their bag open by the time they got to this guy - he'd just shove the bag back at the guest and not even tell them what they needed to do.

I've also noticed, while there is a ban on selfie-sticks, the number of selfie-sticks I see in the parks. They also let a guy into DHS with a pocket knife - WHY do you need a pocket knife at Disney??

Security at WDW is nothing more than a theatre and God forbid something terrible happen someday.

correcaminos

Only bad experience I had was when I guy at the security line started to go through my credit cards. Um no!!! I even looked at him and said "Those are my credit cards!" and he stopped. That one got me and I'm still shocked he thought it was okay to go through that.

I don't do bag checks now simply because of him and have bought a cell phone case that holds credit cards and can go on a strap (being a short girl pockets don't really exist always).

Being barked at for being in a wrong spot wouldn't even be a blip on my radar. I get how thankless their jobs are in general and try to be more than pleasant with them even if I view it as security theater.

daisyduckie

Security at WDW is nothing more than a theatre and God forbid something terrible happen someday.

The security check also slows everyone down so that the real security can do a bit of profiling.

I want to add, even when met with security who seems to be having a bad day (to put it nicely) I try to be as pleasant as possible. I always say Hi, and try to engage them a bit. I'm sure over the course of a shift many many people are rude and nasty to them. Doesn't excuse getting the same back, but if I can make their day a little more pleasant hopefully that helps the guests in line behind me.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
At the time, I was fairly satisfied and happy that they even replied, but reading over the response again a year later, I feel maybe just a little miffed of it being not the most personal.
With all due respect, how much more personal should the response be? Please know that I am not asking in a rude manner. It is unfortunate you had the experience, but there is not much they can do aside from passing the info along to appropriate supervisors.

And in all fairness to Guest Services, they receive many emails (such as yours) that are extremely long and full of emotional information that does not offer much aside from your personal feelings (again, no offense). Sticking to the facts and being succinct can often yield a response that allows them to ask you questions if they need additional information. After reading 11 paragraphs of predominantly tempestuous information, I cant say I blame them for a general response.

Janir

I can easily see you being thrown for a loop at the security checkpoint and just getting into a metal detector line. My last WDW trip there wasn't any signage saying "GO HERE UNLESS WE TELL YOU OTHERWISE" and with the layout of two detector lines and a "open middle", it would be easy to just get into a detector line. Now the security guard going ballistic about it was definitely no call for that. He shouted orders for you to move in a manner that normal people do not think in. While clear in verbal description the intent wasn't clear as to why he wanted you to do what he wanted. I wouldn't expect that kind of treatment for directions at TSA in the airport and that is already a crapshow of customer service and NOT Disney service.

Patcheslee

I too have had unnecessarily negative experience with Disney security. Random bag check, wife gets pulled aside with one kid, I have the other and skipped the bag check. Waiting for rest of party at end of bag check zone. Was told, way too sternly, "move along". Lol, I replied just as sternly "no", and that was that.

To be fair, security can be a thankless job and people are human. It wears on you and you have mini-breaks in the company narrative. I did not let that incident foul my day. If anything, I felt bad for the guy. ...but I wasn't going to let barny fife separate me from my family :p
DD8 was separated from DH while I was still waiting for bag check. She had gone through the non bag side with him and just kept walking to where I told them we would meet, didn't notice he had been stopped. Lucky a CM caught up to her and brought her back to DH. After that he went first so he could stop her if he got pulled. I was about to lose it though.

BrodiRox

Only bad experience I had was when I guy at the security line started to go through my credit cards. Um no!!! I even looked at him and said "Those are my credit cards!" and he stopped. That one got me and I'm still shocked he thought it was okay to go through that.

Not trying to stick up for them, as i have never had someone look through my credit cards at any security. However, I know for a fact that there is a pocket knife that is designed to be the size of a credit card. Maybe that was his thought?

correcaminos

Not trying to stick up for them, as i have never had someone look through my credit cards at any security. However, I know for a fact that there is a pocket knife that is designed to be the size of a credit card. Maybe that was his thought?
Not an excuse. Those knives are thicker and are pretty obvious IMO. I cannot think of any excuse to look through my cards. That trip we had one compromised upon return. How do I know it wasn't him? Doubtful, but come on! Security has no business nosing through my cards. Zero. I'm very easy going about things, but that was not okay and still irks me to this day. Truly it is exactly why what I have carried has changed.

SteamboatJoe

Not an excuse. Those knives are thicker and are pretty obvious IMO. I cannot think of any excuse to look through my cards. That trip we had one compromised upon return. How do I know it wasn't him? Doubtful, but come on! Security has no business nosing through my cards. Zero. I'm very easy going about things, but that was not okay and still irks me to this day. Truly it is exactly why what I have carried has changed.
While I have never had security probe to that level, I could see them being concerned about someone slipping a razor blade into their wallet. But you would think they'd have to have reasonable suspicion via sight, feel, or metal detector before getting that invasive.

correcaminos

While I have never had security probe to that level, I could see them being concerned about someone slipping a razor blade into their wallet. But you would think they'd have to have reasonable suspicion via sight, feel, or metal detector before getting that invasive.
I wasn't carrying a wallet. It was simply a credit card holder in my tiny, otherwise empty, bag. I'm honestly shocked anyone is defending this. That's info no security theater should be looking at ever

SteamboatJoe

I wasn't carrying a wallet. It was simply a credit card holder in my tiny, otherwise empty, bag. I'm honestly shocked anyone is defending this. That's info no security theater should be looking at ever
I wasn't defending it. I noted that it was invasive without probable cause (although Disney is not subject to the same legal restrictions as a public entity...we choose to accept their terms when we buy a ticket). You could still fit a razor in a credit card holder BTW; semantics.

Last edited:

Scrooged

Working as Uniformed Security at a place like Disney is probably a true test of resilience. I couldn’t imagine the pressure from both management and guests. The plain clothes people seem to have the most challenging job as far as actual security. I’m sorry you had a bad interaction with security staff- but sometimes it happens. I’d chalk it up to a misunderstanding then let it dogest
Then rib the guy the rest of the days hile
I’m the park- but then again I’m not a normal person.

MattFrees71

Original Poster
With all due respect, how much more personal should the response be? Please know that I am not asking in a rude manner. It is unfortunate you had the experience, but there is not much they can do aside from passing the info along to appropriate supervisors.

And in all fairness to Guest Services, they receive many emails (such as yours) that are extremely long and full of emotional information that does not offer much aside from your personal feelings (again, no offense). Sticking to the facts and being succinct can often yield a response that allows them to ask you questions if they need additional information. After reading 11 paragraphs of predominantly tempestuous information, I cant say I blame them for a general response.
Even though I could have further condensed what I wrote, I wanted to convey exactly how I felt to give the full gravity of the experience and how it affected me. I was hoping whoever read it could feel and understand what I had to go through and where I was coming from. Depending on the situation though, I could see how sticking to the point and being more brief would be better. And even though I feel their response could have been just a little more tailored/commiserative: overall, I am satisfied. Especially since I initially was expecting a possibly even less personal response. In any case, it just felt good to get off my chest.

Last edited:

MAGICFLOP

Lots people + Hot humid weather + handful of nasty patrons + 40hrs/wk + constantly increasing security procedures = Increased frequency of explosions by personnel.

Expect the problem to get worse as time goes by...

Look at it from a tourist POV (those that go to WDW once in their life), they have 1 week to cram in as much as possible and shooting 30min a day in security lines as well as commuting time from the hotel, lots of lost time...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom