Aggressive/Nasty Security Member Encounter

mergatroid

Never had a problem at Disney but did once at Universal. When I say 'problem', it was more an irritation really. It was during a HHN event so as always security was tighter than normal. It was a few years back when they had the metal detectors near the arches rather than where they are now near the parking lot.

As usual we were asked to empty our pockets into a tray and did so. As I have dystonia I take Trihexyphenidyl and Cocodamol tablets which were in a tablet case. The person dealing with me said "Can you open this please sir" pointing to the tablet case and I happily obliged. He then said "What are these and what are they for?"

I explained that I had dystonia and what the tablets were (by name) and he looked rather confused. Seeing his confusion and assuming he wasn't medically trained, I explained that dystonia was a motor neurone disease and why I needed the tablets. I guessed he'd asked me in case the tablets were recreational and he just wanted to see if I had a decent sounding explanation or not, so if not they could explore further. However he seemed upset by the fact I was using medical terms such as dystonia, motor neurone disease and trihexyphenidyl and I guess thought I was deliberately trying to confuse him or make him look stupid?

He then said "Do we have a problem bud?" to which I genuinely said "Not at all sir, I'm just answering your questions". Another security person came over to see what the hold up was and the security guy with me said to him "We've got this handicap trying to confuse me". I was shocked and immediately said "What did you just say" and he looked embarrassed and said "I was explaining you were a handicapped guest to my colleague". He was ushered away by his colleague who put his arm on my shoulder and said "I'm sorry sir, he's just being thorough and trying to keep everyone safe. Let's get you in the park to enjoy your evening".

I was actually still in disbelief that he'd actually said that in front of me and wondered whether among themselves backstage they refer to handicapped guests as 'handicaps' and it had just slipped out? Either way I realised that I'd rather get in the park and enjoy HHN than waste time complaining about this guy and so just left it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Never had a problem at Disney but did once at Universal. When I say 'problem', it was more an irritation really. It was during a HHN event so as always security was tighter than normal. It was a few years back when they had the metal detectors near the arches rather than where they are now near the parking lot.

As usual we were asked to empty our pockets into a tray and did so. As I have dystonia I take Trihexyphenidyl and Cocodamol tablets which were in a tablet case. The person dealing with me said "Can you open this please sir" pointing to the tablet case and I happily obliged. He then said "What are these and what are they for?"

I explained that I had dystonia and what the tablets were (by name) and he looked rather confused. Seeing his confusion and assuming he wasn't medically trained, I explained that dystonia was a motor neurone disease and why I needed the tablets. I guessed he'd asked me in case the tablets were recreational and he just wanted to see if I had a decent sounding explanation or not, so if not they could explore further. However he seemed upset by the fact I was using medical terms such as dystonia, motor neurone disease and trihexyphenidyl and I guess thought I was deliberately trying to confuse him or make him look stupid?

He then said "Do we have a problem bud?" to which I genuinely said "Not at all sir, I'm just answering your questions". Another security person came over to see what the hold up was and the security guy with me said to him "We've got this handicap trying to confuse me". I was shocked and immediately said "What did you just say" and he looked embarrassed and said "I was explaining you were a handicapped guest to my colleague". He was ushered away by his colleague who put his arm on my shoulder and said "I'm sorry sir, he's just being thorough and trying to keep everyone safe. Let's get you in the park to enjoy your evening".

I was actually still in disbelief that he'd actually said that in front of me and wondered whether among themselves backstage they refer to handicapped guests as 'handicaps' and it had just slipped out? Either way I realised that I'd rather get in the park and enjoy HHN than waste time complaining about this guy and so just left it.
I think you're lucky he was confused... not being a narc, but realize that both trihex and cocodamol tabs require prescriptions in the US, and you might have been an issue had they called the local constable. I'm just assuming that you, as a savvy traveler, had some documentation with you in case someone asked about those pills...

LittleBuford

I think you're lucky he was confused... not being a narc, but realize that both trihex and cocodamol tabs require prescriptions in the US, and you might have been an issue had they called the local constable. I'm just assuming that you, as a savvy traveler, had some documentation with you in case someone asked about those pills...

I'm confused. If the drugs are legally available in the US, why would security or the police be in any position to challenge someone carrying them? Since when did anyone need to show proof of their prescription?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'm confused. If the drugs are legally available in the US, why would security or the police be in any position to challenge someone carrying them? Since when did anyone need to show proof of their prescription?
Under Florida law, Title XLVI, Chapter 893(6)(a) A person may not be in actual or constructive possession of a controlled substance unless such controlled substance was lawfully obtained from a practitioner or pursuant to a valid prescription or order of a practitioner while acting in the course of his or her professional practice or to be in actual or constructive possession of a controlled substance except as otherwise authorized by this chapter. A person who violates this provision commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

How are you going to prove you obtained them legally without a prescription label?

Hey, I'm not a lawyer, but I can see from that language that if I'm carrying around controlled substances, that if I don't want to risk a lengthy detention or arrest, I'd better have a prescription label on me for each controlled drug I'm carrying.

matt9112

Of the few security guards with attitude I've dealt with down there, I'd be amazed if any of them had prior service. If they did, they must have been pogs. That being said, I always, and I mean ALWAYS take their name and hometown lited on their badge down to submit with my feedback. I do the same for CMs that are awesome, which is a much longer list.
for what its worth hiring descriptions for all the security jobs asks for prior service as LEO or military as for some unkown reason that makes you qualified.

LittleBuford

How are you going to prove you obtained them legally without a prescription label?

Am I missing something? Do most people carry their prescriptions around with them?

The law you quoted is irrelevant, as it stipulates only that someone must have come into lawful possession of the drug in question, not that they need to carry or show evidence of having done so.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Am I missing something? Do most people carry their prescriptions around with them?

The law you quoted is irrelevant, as it stipulates only that someone must have come into lawful possession of the drug in question, not that they need to carry or show evidence of having done so.
I do when I'm out of my house with prescription meds. Imagine how this sounds to a cop: "Oh, sure, officer. I obtained these pills in my pocket legally."

Here's some related light reading...

Last edited:

LittleBuford

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Is your point that he had the tablets in his own pillbox rather than in the container they came with from the pharmacy? Because that isn't an offence:

Read what the article says... There are cops out there who will arrest you if you have undocumented controlled drugs on you. If you are arrested for possession without having a prescription label, you may have that affirmative "prescription" defense. But do you really want to risk having to hire a lawyer to (a) get you out of jail, and (b) defend you at trial over keeping prescription drugs in a container they weren't dispensed in?

But my main point was that some drugs that are sold over-the-counter in other countries are considered controlled substances here in the US of A.

UncleMike101

I can say from personal experience that if you have prescription drugs in your possession you'd better be able to prove that you have a valid prescription for them.
It is advised that when traveling with prescription drugs that one carry them in the prescription labeled bottle that you received them in.
The TSA, and local Law Enforcement, frown on traveling with prescription drugs, especially opioids or narcotic pain relievers, in unmarked containers.
That type of behavior turns on the "Something suspicious" light in their heads.
Been there.
Done that.

LittleBuford

Read what the article says... There are cops out there who will arrest you if you have undocumented controlled drugs on you. If you are arrested for possession without having a prescription label, you may have that affirmative "prescription" defense. But do you really want to risk having to hire a lawyer to (a) get you out of jail, and (b) defend you at trial over keeping prescription drugs in a container they weren't dispensed in?

But my main point was that some drugs that are sold over-the-counter in other countries are considered controlled substances here in the US of A.
I can say from personal experience that if you have prescription drugs in your possession you'd better be able to prove that you have a valid prescription for them.
It is advised that when traveling with prescription drugs that one carry them in the prescription labeled bottle that you received them in.
The TSA, and local Law Enforcement, frown on traveling with prescription drugs, especially opioids or narcotic pain relievers, in unmarked containers.
That type of behavior turns on the "Something suspicious" light in their heads.
Been there.
Done that.

Fair enough. I'm thoroughly surprised to learn that carrying undocumented prescription medication can get you arrested, but anything is possible I suppose.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Fair enough. I'm thoroughly surprised to learn that carrying undocumented prescription medication can get you arrested, but anything is possible I suppose.
Last word to get back on track -- here's some good advice from The Grey Lady...

ULPO46

I’m not saying that it does.

Having a degree increases the likelihood that you’re smarter than someone without.
Or in some cases just helps you get a higher paying job. Often times the people I've met with double masters and excess are the nastiest snobs in the world, the holy church goers on Sundays who turn into the speed demons on I-4 swerving in and out of traffic making you wonder how they obtained their license.

ULPO46

I have an odd feeling that someday humans will create sensors so powerful that there won't be a need to pay security at theme parks or Airports, no unions going on strike, no government shutdowns to affect the flow of travel. While I'd be a nervous tick fitting into a tiny box while air gets blown into my body making sure I'm not carrying explosives and what not, I do feel more comfortable seeing humans and canines. They do their job and with any role within the company you are bound to meet one cast member who hasn't been enjoying their day and break "character." While often times I realise it's stupid having to explain every time I go into the airport or through Disney/ universal security that I have a metal plate in my chest which is why the alarm goes off, in the world we live in they are there to do a job. Many of the Security CM's are some of the most down to earth and sweetest people I know and I think many of them should be awarded cast compliments even if at times you might feel like they are being too rude or aggressive. Just remember how grateful you have to be that no one is crazy enough to start shooting up the parks. So as long as they are doing their job, I don't care lifting up my shirt to show my scar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom