Afternoon nap?

marytk

They are two sides to every issue, and I'd love to hear the reaction to this topic. Many guide books suggest the afternoon break, most especially in summer. I know that many prefer to tour all day, with built-in breaks in the itinerary (quiet spots, AC meals, etc.).

So what do you say: take the afternoon break back at the hotel (presumably to swim, nap, etc.), or not? Is the time and hassle involved worth it?

(Personally, our family of 4 will be going in early June, and as we are staying on-site, we've worked in breaks - my 7 yr. old sometimes has a hard time with intense heat. We've done MK before with no break, and we will just go with the flow this time; if we need one, we'll take it, if not, just keep going!)

tigsmom

I think your "wait & see" is the way to go. Early June shouldn't be too bad crowd wise, but I'm not sure about the weather. I'm OK in heat, but humidity does me in. When we go in the winter months we don't break (2 adults, 2 kids- 15 & 9) unles we plan on staying out very late. In July & August we always take a break. Its very hot, crowded and a short swim &/or nap really makes a difference. We head out in the evening refreshed and not quite so crabby. :wave:

Upvote 0

Mr. Toad

We usually go with breaks. However, we've been here over 30 times and basically come every year so we don't feel like we have to see everything every time we come.

In the past we generally played it by ear. Breaks in the afternoon were the norm for us unless it was a short trip. Also, heat and humidity would play a big part in our decision. We used to come down in July/August and the afternoons were brutal (with the standard 4:30 thunderstorm). Now we usually come in late May/early June and the heat/humidity is a lot more bearable.

We are in WDW right now and the afternoons have not been too bad and the humidity is fine for me.

Upvote 0

bhg469

I personally Live for the mid day nap. We never intend to fall asleep but it always happens. Just the walk to the hotel room can be quite a journey. especially on sundays during football season i usually find my way back to the room.

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

Afternoon naps are a great idea for the family. Our family always wakes up at the crack of dawn to get out to the parks, then around lunch time we head back to the hotel to eat and take a nap. :eek:

We always felt quite refreshed after our nap. This enabled us to stay later at the parks with our young children. We have never tried taking a break at a quiet area, this may work, but I just think naps work a little better. :brick:

Upvote 0

TheDisneyGirl02

I never took an afternoon break even when I was there with my parents when I was 4. We napped on their laps!

This trip, we're taking a day off from the parks to allow my mom to rest. She has anemia so she's needs it. My sister and I are going to Typhoon or something like that on that day!

TheDisneyGirl02 :)

Upvote 0

imamouse

My stance is that you need to manage to the lowest common denominator, meaning, if any 1 person in your party is pooped and not having a good time, then a nap needs to happen. I have never seen more unhappy children than at WDW. Their parents (for whatever reasons) keep them going all day and into the night and the kids are over whelmed and over stimulated. A break would help with both, and a nap is even better.
I tend not to do the nap/break thing, but there are exceptions. Once, during a very short visit right before Christmas, the MK was so crowded that we just couldn't enjoy ourselves, so we went back to the resort for a swim. A Dec swim was quite a treat for us!
Also, the park hours for your stay might assist with the decision to leave and come back or not. I usually go to WDW in Oct, and the parks close fairly early with Epcot being the latest closing at 9:00 PM. Since our youngest is 12, we soldier on without taking a break most visits.
I just returned from a visit with my 60+ mom, and she needed a nap every afternoon. So, while she napped, I went to the pool. We didn't get to see or do as much, and it wasn't my preference to go back to the resort, but she couldn't make it all day without her nap, that's what we did. I'll go back in Oct with a friend who can hang all day and into the night.

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
I think it will be worth it to take the breaks.

You can either do the parks all day long and not enjoy yourself because your kids are tired and miserable.

Or you can sacrifice 3 hours of your day for a nap and have happy more enjoyable kids.

But then again, it depends on the age of your kids.

My kids are still babies so a mid afternoon nap is necessary for us!

Some kids are perfectly fine sleeping in the stroller though.

Upvote 0

LadyDarling

I'm pro-afternoon break, but I find that my DH and I can do a whole a day of touring for the first couple days, and then after that, we come back for a break in the following days. But it's usually in the late afternoon/early evening, when we can rest, shower, chill for a while and get ready for a great evening out! :) But it's just the two of us. No kids.

When we went last year, we did bring a long a very sick friend of mine and he lived for those breaks!

Upvote 0

David

The only time we have gone back to the hotel for a break/nap was last year. We had tickets for MNSSHP, and we thought we might rest a little and stay late at the parks. We have tickets for MNSSHP again this year, but I don't know if we will be going back to the hotel or not. To me, it was more of a bother than a needed break. Even when our son was 4 1/2 (his first trip) we did not go back to the hotel. He might catch a little cat nap in the stroller or while waiting for a show to start and that was all he needed.

Upvote 0

charliez

Naps to avoid melt downs...

I posted this the other day in another thread - even if it's not a nap per se, I think a break can be really good at making the fun of the day last into the evening...

Originally posted by charliez
... they (meltdowns) happen. Even with older kids, but especially little kids (and sometimes adults, who still want to be a little kid at WDW).

Five ways to address them:

1) Schedule some down time each day - easier if you're staying on property - when you can go back to the room, maybe hit the pool, veg in the room, etc.

2) Talk about meltdowns in advance - particularly with the older kids. Not that they won't have them then, but better for all to be prepared that they will happen, and know that you won't put up with a prolonged or ongoing battle. Good way to lay groundwork for the daily downtime as well.

3) Give everyone their time alone. Hey, I want to ride the rides. I was a little put out once when no one wanted to stay in MGM after an especially hot parade, so it worked out that I just stayed in the park and everyone else went cool off. So did I, in a fashion. Not as much fun as being together, but I got it out of my system (and then was really appreciative of my wife doing solo mom duty during that time, and showed it through my shopping prowess).

4) Make sure everyone gets to "lead" sometimes in picking rides, etc. - even the littlest kids.

5) When visiting WDW in large (particularly multi-family) groups, realize that you don't have to do everything TOGETHER ALL THE TIME. Split up, and set a time/place to meet later for a meal or something. Then you all have something to talk about!

6) Decide upfront with the kids if your primary aim is to ride as many rides as possible or get autographs. (Obviously there's a mix, but you can't shoot for both extremes without someone being unhappy with the balance or lack thereof.) You may not reach consensus everyday, but at least you will all know the plan.

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

We definitely do naps. :) We go back every day, early afternoon, usually after lunch somewhere, and those who need sleep get it, those who don't hang out in the pool or on the beach. (We usually stay at the Poly) It's nice to spend some time in that resort that costs so much, too. :animwink: :lol:

Upvote 0

Brandon

use the rain time to your advantage

I have been to Disney World 42 times in the past 30 years and in my opinion is to rest around 1-3pm or 2-4pm. During this time it usually rains so it is perfect. Once you see the clouds building up go back to the hotel and get a snack or rest in the room and you wasted no time at the parks because half the time things close down due to lightening.

Have fun!:wave:

Upvote 0

GenerationX

We always take the afternoon break. Nobody naps (my kids all gave up napping upon hitting their second birthday), but it does provide the physical and mental break we need. The mid-day sun seems to wear us out quicker, and we have found touring one park in the morning and another in the evening to be the most fun. We've been following this strategy since we first started going to WDW, and it has worked well for us.

Upvote 0

spoodles

Part of a quote in the Unofficial Guide:

"...get out of the park and take the nap, take the nap, TAKE THE NAP!"

2004 edition, p247, and speaking specifically about young kids -- not sure if you'll get an actual nap out of a 7 yr old, but it might recharge the batteries. We're planning daily mid-day breaks for our trip next spring, with 2 families toting 6 kids aged 2-7. Same thing, back to the hotel for nap/pool and general downtime.

Upvote 0

DDuckFan130

We've only done this once. It was a rainy day in November and we went to AK in the morning for a couple of hours. We were in our own cars and were planning on going to MK right after but after a couple of hours at AK or shoes and socks were soaked. So, we bought McDonald's and went back to ASMusic where we were staying. We hadn't planned on it, but everyone in my family fell asleep on the beds for an hour or two (2 teen siblings, 2 parents, 2 pre-teen cousins, 1 pre-school aged cousin, 2 aunts, and myself :lol: ). We were dead to the world. But we did eventually get up and took the bus this time to MK and were there by like 5. Luckily the park was opened til 10pm that day AND since it was still rainy outside people stayed away from the parks so lines were extremely short.

So to make a long enough story short, this time our nap was worth it. But we usually go the whole day without one and just stop more often to sit in benches and relax, or we take longer in eating our lunches.

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Afternoon breaks all the way!!

Back at the Resort for a nap in a hammock, a swim, lounge chair reading, or straight out napping.

We always go during peak seasons and use the "nap time" as more of a break form the crowds and/or heat in the parks. We leave before 11 usually and return after 5 or 6. (Of course assuming parks are open 8am--midnight.)

I'm 21, and for as long as I can remmeber we "took the afternoons off." Even if it meant being even more active than in the parks by boating, biking, running to get back on the pool slide before my sister, and playing in the pool. Just a break from the parks and people.

Upvote 0

swimmom

We rarely take time off and go back to the resort, however, we also don't start each day early and my daughter is 15. We have never done an early entry, because we are just not morning people. We do however always take advantage of the late hours and e-ride nights if they are available.

I think your wait and see plan is a good idea and definately take the time for a nap/rest if it is needed.

Upvote 0

marytk

Original Poster
Wow, lots of great ideas!

Well, you've all just confirmed what I already suspected. Breaks seem to be the way to go - I believe it will work great for us. It's one of the reasons we decided to stay onsite. I want us all to enjoy without slamming thru everything; if we take that break I believe we'll all be more peaceful and refreshed.

I've got the (blue) ponchos and extra shoes ready for us. Thanks to all for weighing in!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom