After Star Tours....is this what's next?

Thrill

Since at this point this is all just daydreaming anyway... What about in Futureworld? In place of WOL? They already "soiled" the '82 Futureworld with Nemo, and Epcot could use some true love... Star Wars makes as much sense in Epcot as Nemo does, IMHO...

I'd take Tron over Star Wars in Epcot. It could make an okay basis for an edutaining computer pavilion. I'd rather see Tron in DHS, but if any movie has to go to Epcot, Tron's my first pick.

Tron could work with this ride system. Light Jet battles, anyone?

Lee

Adventurer
I've heard of a similar concept, but that art is new to me.

Two points:
- I'd like a link to where the art originated.
- Patent drawings really don't mean much, other than they have an idea for a ride system and don't want anyone to steal it. Certainly doesn't mean it's in development as an active project.

Cosmic Commando

Alright, I'm calling it. It is real, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with Disney as far as I can tell. I think I found the patent, but I can't get the images to show up, so I can't know for sure. http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=51&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&p=1&p=2&S1=(star+AND+wars)&OS=star+AND+wars&RS=(star+AND+wars)

If the link doesn't work, it's called multi-track multi-vehicle roller coaster with special effects #7,802,522 dated September 28, 2010. It seems ubercool and Disney certainly could use this technology if they talk to Jonathan I. Gordon that filed the patent, but I don't think we will see this anytime soon. But I will be reading the whole text... sounds interesting. If anyone can get all of the images to show and post them, I'd really like to see!

edit: 4 minutes too late, I see.

Mansion Butler

I guess or I'm assuming it needs to be big put the entrance where the TL theater used to be.
Oh yeah, I didn't consider that "behind" SM. :lol:

There is (or seems to be having been back there a lot) a lot of unused space. back there. The lounge is still used for, like, training and such, though that could be moved. There's a parking lot back there that's pretty important, though, and the space that isn't used doesn't seem to me large enough for this attraction.

But, I don't really have any idea. :D
- Patent drawings really don't mean much, other than they have an idea for a ride system and don't want anyone to steal it. Certainly doesn't mean it's in development as an active project.
I assume most people understand this, but maybe I'm wrong.

It is, however, a neat idea, and just the fact that it's floating out there is exciting. It's a nice platform to launch day dreams from, too.

Lee

Adventurer
As I said earlier, patent's are meant to protect an invention or idea. They don't mean something is going to be built.

Disney did patent this one.
Still haven't seen it in an attraction....

Attachments

• elephant.jpg
    elephant.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 302

RSoxNo1

It's called a multi-track, multi-vehicle interactive roller coaster. So it's a real patent...not that it means anything (plus I didn't find any mention of Disney upon quick inspection).

I've heard of a similar concept, but that art is new to me.

Two points:
- I'd like a link to where the art originated.

I do love the idea - it's something I've tried to do in some way shape or form on Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, but the game limitations make it difficult.

Do we know that this was patented by Disney or someone else? As for the capacity question. It looks like 3 vehicles of 6 dispatch at once (or at least can dispatch at once. Considering that Space Mountain has two tracks, and this design has 3 tracks, even if the vehicles need to spaced further apart, it could still have a reasonable capacity.

hpyhnt 1000

Do we know that this was patented by Disney or someone else? As for the capacity question. It looks like 3 vehicles of 6 dispatch at once (or at least can dispatch at once. Considering that Space Mountain has two tracks, and this design has 3 tracks, even if the vehicles need to spaced further apart, it could still have a reasonable capacity.

From the look of it, there's hardly a capacity issue with this design; far from it. Looks like 6 vehicles could go off at one time (3 tie fighters and 3 X Wing) with 6 people per vehicle. Thats 36 people per dispatch. Lets say a dispatch time of 1 minute; that comes to just over 2100 people per hour (36 x 60 = 2160).

wdidreamer

Original Poster
It's not Disney's.
It was patented in 2005 by a guy named Jonathan Gordon from Virginia.

Do your patent research Lee, Gordon has worked with WDI on MANY projects in the past and holds many patents with WDI that DID get built. Not to mention it was filed in 2005, revised twice in 2006 and 2007 and just got it's final patent last year meaning it was going through revisions. However I NEVER said this is getting built, I asked is this getting built?

JustInTime

Question...

Whatever happened to that guy who leaked all the original ideas and plans for FLE? I remember before anything was announced some guy was talking allllll about the new plans. And he was the first. They sounded amazing and turned out to be correct. Pretty sure the same poster leaked the blueprints. I always thought it was WDI leaking them to get a feel on how we would react. It was just a hunch. But either way, I would like to know what happened to that member...

jt04

From the look of it, there's hardly a capacity issue with this design; far from it. Looks like 6 vehicles could go off at one time (3 tie fighters and 3 X Wing) with 6 people per vehicle. Thats 36 people per dispatch. Lets say a dispatch time of 1 minute; that comes to just over 2100 people per hour (36 x 60 = 2160).

Agreed. Capacity looks to me to be similar to RSR.

Perfect concept for a SW Land at DHS. And wasn't there a rumor not that long ago that Indy could be on the chopping block? That would create plenty of space.

Seems to good to be true but who would have ever thought they would build something on the scale of Carsland?

I'm leaning towards believing this because Steve has not killed the thread. But it still seems quite Blue Sky.

Lee

Adventurer
Do your patent research Lee, Gordon has worked with WDI on MANY projects in the past and holds many patents with WDI.
I have never heard of him. What else has he worked on?
Fact is, this particular patent is his, not Disney's. That would indicate that he was not working for Disney when he designed it. I suppose he could sell the design to them....but I doubt it.

However I NEVER said this is getting built, I asked is this getting built?
Highly unlikely.

Figments Friend

-

I would think this proposed SW attraction idea would be a lot more appealing then a CarsLand clone...but this is just my opinion. I think something major like this would appeal to a lot more people, considering the long standing appeal of the franchise it represents.

It would be amazing to see this hit DHS.

Lee

Adventurer
Whatever happened to that guy who leaked all the original ideas and plans for FLE?
FLE wasn't leaked, at least not the original drainage plans that showed up here and elsewhere.
The plans were found at the South Florida Water Management District site. Anyone can go over there and search for filed plans.

td1129

Do your patent research Lee, Gordon has worked with WDI on MANY projects in the past and holds many patents with WDI that DID get built. Not to mention it was filed in 2005, revised twice in 2006 and 2007 and just got it's final patent last year meaning it was going through revisions. However I NEVER said this is getting built, I asked is this getting built?

If this were to be announced at D23, it would make my year.

FWIW WDI has been contracting a lot of concept work out since the downsizing after 2001 and again in 2008.

This would be spectacular to see as part of a SW land at DHS and would fit very much the rumored "reaction to Harry Potter project".

Just hope there is a Mos Eisley Cantina with some cocktails.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom