Aerial view (June 13) of the Fantasyland expansion construction site

hpyhnt 1000

Hopefully they are rethinking Pixie Hollow into Wonderland instead. Would be so much more classic for MK and not just based on a direct to dvd franchise. Too much tink as it is.

Wonderland would definitely be far more "classic" fantasyland than PH. Plus Burton's remake/sequel wasn't exactly a failure either (In the top 6 grossing movies worldwide.)

I agree with the preference for Wonderland. Its a setting thats just begging to be made into an immersive land and it would further be something that would add to the uniqueness of our Fantasyland. Plus, this would allow for Mad Tea Party to move further away from Tomorrowland to create a better transition area.

As for Pixie Hollow, why not utilize the space where the old FL skyway station currently is? While small, it would still allow for some kind of fairy themed area and perhaps a meet and greet location as well. Plus, with Peter Pan right across the way, its an ideal location to find Tinkerbell and her fairy friends.

NASAMan

picture.php

I took the image and overlaid the blueprint plans that have been out for awhile. It helps to see the actual footprint of the Ariel and Belle areas, as well as Cinderella's chateau.

meehanj

The Alice idea is great but I would submit another idea.....How about Agrabah and adding a magic carpet ride. This ride could be a dark ride that is somehow suspended in the air like Peter Pan with "seats" on the magic carpet like a Sultan's chair, carrying 4-6 passengers over the marketplace, the palace, and then into the Cave of Wonder. It would also go with the princess theme of Snow White, Ariel, and Belle that they are already making.

TP2000

Needless to say at California Adventure where they're doing simple demo jobs like tearing up parking lots, we're dealing with forests and Florida hydrology.

Actually....

At DCA they tore down an existing 250 seat theater...
dca_pk04.jpg

In an existing working theme park while trying to save the useful piece of architecture with the Palace of Fine Arts dome...
GD4-072209-AVP.jpg

And then dug a basement down into the sandy Anaheim soil and started on major construction, in a sea of walls, in the middle of that same working theme park...
LM1-011310-avp.jpg

Oh, and with a 4 Star deluxe Disney hotel a few dozen yards on one side and a major new water show a few dozen yards on the other side. :lol:

Anaheim doesn't have to worry about the high water table that Orlando has, but there have been many, many logistical hurdles to overcome in building the major Little Mermaid ride show building smack dab in the middle of an operating Disney theme park and resort hotel. I don't envy the construction managers for any of the DCA mega-projects, but this Little Mermaid construction is one of the most difficult due to its location and logistics of recent months.

The Empress Lilly

picture.php

I took the image and overlaid the blueprint plans that have been out for awhile.
Great work, thanks!

I do wonder - instead of Fantasyland Expansion, isn't this project better named 'Fantasyland re-utilisation'?

The space was once used for 20k already - an underwater attraction with elaborate placemaking landscaping. :D

rpk4444

they haven't done SQUAT!!
you want to see construction, look how fast they building in Disney California Adventure!!
massive construction there....

Being from the construction field myself, I have to disagree with you. It appears that alot of the ground clearing and infostructure has been done. Once this is complete you should start seeing more.

I agree with one of the eariler points that a picture every month or so would be cool but probably very expensive to do.

Didn't I read that there is a camara mounted on Space Mountain following construction?

hpyhnt 1000

In that picture, is the big plot of trees in the lower right an expansion pad for future use?

No, not really. I suppose if Disney really wanted to, they COULD utilize it in the future, but otherwise, it is not an expansion space. The ground is unsuitable and it is in the MK fireworks fall out area so don't expect anything to be constructed there in the near or far future.

gatoronfire4lor

Will they try to retain most of the existing vegetation? They'll have to rip out some because a lot of it is tropical, but I would think that they would want to keep what they could to maximize the grown-in landscaping that is very important to the feel of a "forest". Whatever they plant won't look right for a while after FL reopens

Funny you mention that actually. I wanted to post this when I saw the picture was posted, but I could only find the news item and not a thread. Here's NASA's pic again for reference.

Most of the trees in that middle upper right section, directly behind Fantasyland, were torn out the night that picture was taken. I'm an MK Cast member, and the next morning that area was absolutely torn up.

Interesting to see the plans laid that way, to include the cast member bus route. Earlier on when this news came out, the blueprints were laid over a Google map and they extended past that road and into that forest right there. We weren't sure what was going to happen to the cast member access...good to see it's staying the same basically.

MotherOfBirds

In the concept art, it also showed the "sea" on the left of LM, which I presume will just be a small lagoon. Does it say how expansive the "sea" will be?

PurpleRose

I agree with the preference for Wonderland. Its a setting thats just begging to be made into an immersive land and it would further be something that would add to the uniqueness of our Fantasyland. Plus, this would allow for Mad Tea Party to move further away from Tomorrowland to create a better transition area.

As for Pixie Hollow, why not utilize the space where the old FL skyway station currently is? While small, it would still allow for some kind of fairy themed area and perhaps a meet and greet location as well. Plus, with Peter Pan right across the way, its an ideal location to find Tinkerbell and her fairy friends.

Ooooh I like this idea! The Pixie Hollow to the skyway has merit!

tirian

Ooooh I like this idea! The Pixie Hollow to the skyway has merit!

That was seriously considered years ago. I saw the concept art.

This aerial (Ariel? ;)) photo shows exactly how much the MK's FL has been nothing more than a corridor connection LS and TL. At the very least, FLE will make FL more of a land and less of a stroller strip.

hpyhnt 1000

That was seriously considered years ago. I saw the concept art.

This aerial (Ariel? ;)) photo shows exactly how much the MK's FL has been nothing more than a corridor connection LS and TL. At the very least, FLE will make FL more of a land and less of a stroller strip.

Do you happen to know anything else as to what was planned and why it never happend?

And I agree about the stroller strip. FL has always been like that, but even more so after 20K was closed and ripped out.

mp2bill

GD4-072209-AVP.jpg

And then dug a basement down into the sandy Anaheim soil and started on major construction, in a sea of walls, in the middle of that same working theme park...
LM1-011310-avp.jpg

Oh, and with a 4 Star deluxe Disney hotel a few dozen yards on one side and a major new water show a few dozen yards on the other side. :lol:

Anaheim doesn't have to worry about the high water table that Orlando has, but there have been many, many logistical hurdles to overcome in building the major Little Mermaid ride show building smack dab in the middle of an operating Disney theme park and resort hotel. I don't envy the construction managers for any of the DCA mega-projects, but this Little Mermaid construction is one of the most difficult due to its location and logistics of recent months.

Cool pics. Where did you get them from?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom