Advise for a Potential Rookie at DLP?

Vegas Disney Fan

I’d highly recommend staying on site; especially with limited time. We still find value onsite as opposed to Orlando plus your park passes are included, especially if you book well in advance. We have 3 nights at Sequoia coming up for roughly $800 - including 4 days park hoppers.

We always stay onsite too, we find it easier to jump on the RER to head into Paris than it is to take the train to the parks early in the morning.

Did you pay $800 for your whole package? We just booked for the end of August and I was shocked at the prices, we’re doing 3 nights (with tickets) also and Marvel would have been $2700, Newport $2100, and we ended up paying $1750 for Sequoia, this will be our 4th trip and is by far the most we’ve ever paid for our package. We debated staying offsite to save some money but I just couldn’t do it, we love the convenience of just walking over in the morning.

Sir_Cliff

We split a room between two people at Sequoia for 3 nights over Friday-Monday and paid about the same, but that included park entry for 4 days (which we used) as well as half-board (breakfast and a sit-down meal for each evening). Honestly, considering the price of entry and meals we found it reasonable value, but then we also love the convenience and atmosphere of staying there.

Vegas Disney Fan

Forgot to mention, we debated a split stay also and, even with the high prices, found it was roughly the same price to just get a package and stay onsite the whole time. 2 day parkhoppers would have been $500, 1 night at DLP would have been $500, and the other 2 nights in a Paris hotel would have been $250 a night. It was worth the extra $250 (to us) not to have to repack and change hotels in the middle of our short trip.

With the package we also ended up with 4 day parkhoppers which makes the trip a little easier, We’ll get a few hours in the park on our arrival day, and a few hours in the morning before our departure, this makes it much easier to spend more time in Paris proper during our trip. We love spending the morning in the parks, heading into Paris for the day, and then spending a few hours in the parks in the evening. That way we don’t feel like we’re missing out on the parks or missing out on Paris.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Did you pay $800 for your whole package?
Minus dining, yes. 3 nights in the main building plus 4 day hoppers for two. Well, Siri says currently it would be $850.85. Booked 10 months in advance for a quieter period. End of August would still be considered peak (school holidays) but there’s no doubt the price of everything in Europe has gone up over the past six months or so. I admit we got a real bargain (and flights were silly cheap too!)

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

With the package we also ended up with 4 day parkhoppers which makes the trip a little easier, We’ll get a few hours in the park on our arrival day, and a few hours in the morning before our departure, this makes it much easier to spend more time in Paris proper during our trip. We love spending the morning in the parks, heading into Paris for the day, and then spending a few hours in the parks in the evening. That way we don’t feel like we’re missing out on the parks or missing out on Paris.
Honestly, if I could have saved some money by cutting a day or two off the passes my initial inclination would have been to do so. In practice, though, it was great to be able to head into Disneyland for dinner at Plaza Gardens on our first night and get a few rides with almost no queue on Big Thunder and Indy done. On the last morning, we still hadn't got to Peter Pan, so managed to make it into the park for one ride before speeding off to the airport!

So, in short, I appreciate the generous passes in hindsight!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Minus dining, yes. 3 nights in the main building plus 4 day hoppers for two. Well, Siri says currently it would be $850.85. Booked 10 months in advance for a quieter period. End of August would still be considered peak (school holidays) but there’s no doubt the price of everything in Europe has gone up over the past six months or so. I admit we got a real bargain (and flights were silly cheap too!)

I know that my opinion is unpopular concerning staying onsite and eating onsite - even with my AP discount I find the cost of the DLP hotels not "worth" it anymore. Our "family room" for Friday night (in reality two separate hotel rooms with a connecting door) was just over EUR 265. Free shuttle on demand to the parks, each room with a kitchenette (kettle for tea and instant coffee provided) pool and hot tub, good restaurant. With my AP discount I wouldn’t get two rooms at the Santa Fe, would not have a pool or hot tub or a kettle in my room (ok, I’d rather have a Nespresso machine in the room but in a pinch instant coffee at least gets me to a place where I can get a real coffee) and not the same food options. I love the Newport but just can’t justify that even with my discount I pay more than double (and more like triple) to have the same amenities onsite (minus the kettle in the room - you have to go to the one coffee/tea machine per floor). Plus, despite my Mew England roots, I loathe fish and seafood and the smell of it, so the hotel restaurant is out for me 😉.

Currently, for next March (not quite Easter weekend as it isn't open yet), 2 nights at Hotel NYTAOM with 3 day hoppers for three people is running at a bit under $1200. I tried a couple different permutations of getting tickets and always ended up at between $800 and $900. There are hotels around there for less than $200 a night, but not enough less to cancel out the positives of on-site. So, right now that's our top choice. If it was still ending up at $300 or more a night for the hotel, we would be less inclined. Also, our daughter is a huge Marvel fan and this is likely our last family trip before she is an adult out in the world on her own, so we may splurge a bit extra!

And, almost definitely splitting the stay with the first three nights of the overall trip in downtown Paris.

Sir_Cliff

Currently, for next March (not quite Easter weekend as it isn't open yet), 2 nights at Hotel NYTAOM with 3 day hoppers for three people is running at a bit under $1200. I tried a couple different permutations of getting tickets and always ended up at between $800 and $900. There are hotels around there for less than $200 a night, but not enough less to cancel out the positives of on-site. So, right now that's our top choice. If it was still ending up at $300 or more a night for the hotel, we would be less inclined. Also, our daughter is a huge Marvel fan and this is likely our last family trip before she is an adult out in the world on her own, so we may splurge a bit extra!

And, almost definitely splitting the stay with the first three nights of the overall trip in downtown Paris.
Haven't stayed there, but would say it's good choice! The cocktail bar is a nice place to unwind after a day at the parks!

Swissmiss

Premium Member

That‘s a good price for that hotel with tickets. Since I am often looking last minute (which really means a month or two in advance) I am often quoted a similar price for a room only rate which is really hard to justify.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
That‘s a good price for that hotel with tickets. Since I am often looking last minute (which really means a month or two in advance) I am often quoted a similar price for a room only rate which is really hard to justify.

Still a bit paranoid that the Easter weekend rates will be a bunch more. Hoping they open them up soon so we can make some decisions.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
So... with our daughter now working College Program starting April 1, we've decided to delay the proposed DLP trip. Possibly looking at a mid-August excursion to Paris and DLP, but things are relatively up for debate at this point.

However, being the planner that I am, I've been looking at some options. One possibility would be having a slightly longer visit at DLP (4 days/3 nights), but staying at the cheaper Sequoia Lodge and with the extra day, paying a visit to the New York Hotel for a meal and checking out the Marvel stuff. Heck, the Golden Forest Club rooms look like a pretty good deal on the dates we are looking at. $2200 for the 4 days/3 nights (including tickets) instead of the $1700 for a standard Sequoia room or the $2700 for the New York Hotel for the same 3 nights.

Finding decent flights that aren't a fortune is proving a little more difficult right now, but we aren't quite reading to do any booking, so I'm hoping that those costs might go down a bit!!

Anybody stayed in a the Club rooms at Sequoia? How's the breakfast and/or the snacks in the afternoon? Can you purchase alcoholic drinks in the lounge or is it just the soft drinks/hot drinks with breakfast/tea time?

Thanks for any insights!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
So this trip really is happening!! August 14th, just a couple days after the Olympics end, we will arrive in Paris for 4 days in the city followed by 4 days at DLP. Staying 3 nights in the Hotel Cheyenne to free up a little money for other things on the trip! Surprisingly, the package deal we got is actually cheaper than the deal our DCP daughter could get (she would have gotten a hotel discount and free ticket for herself, but the package was still less).

Even though we have learned (as have we all) about all the changes coming, with her graduating from college and the future ability/timing for all three of us to travel together looking limited, we are going for it.

We haven't booked any table service meals, but based on most of the reviews we've read/heard, most of them are not worth it. And, the one that might have been was not available. Still might try to walk up to Walt's and get a table, but also might not!

We haven't made any actual plans, so I welcome suggestions and recommendations from anyone/everyone!

Also, anyone had issues with making payments via the DLP website? For three weeks now, the Visa link on the payment page hasn't worked - we get an error every time (tried multiple browsers with every setting adjusted that we could adjust). We could use PayPal, but would rather get the better cash back with our Disney Visa!!!

LondonTom

We haven't made any actual plans, so I welcome suggestions and recommendations from anyone/everyone!

Also, anyone had issues with making payments via the DLP website? For three weeks now, the Visa link on the payment page hasn't worked - we get an error every time (tried multiple browsers with every setting adjusted that we could adjust). We could use PayPal, but would rather get the better cash back with our Disney Visa!!!
When you are in Paris, can I recommend a little trip to Angelina Paris it usually has a decent queue outside but its well worth it for the Hot Chocolate alone! (The food and pastries are not bad either!)

For DLP, I think the best non-reservation restaurants are either the Royal Pub (personally visited) or from reports Brasserie Rosalie both in Disney Village. If you like cocktails, the bars at Sequoia Lodge, Hotel New York and DLH are all fantastic! Sometimes you can still get it nearer the time but Pyms is pretty good value for money compared to most of the buffets on site.

For Payments, odd, might be a visa problem, or could it be a foreign transaction block on your card? (I paid with Amex on the UK site at the weekend just fine)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
So this trip really is happening!! August 14th, just a couple days after the Olympics end, we will arrive in Paris for 4 days in the city followed by 4 days at DLP. Staying 3 nights in the Hotel Cheyenne to free up a little money for other things on the trip! Surprisingly, the package deal we got is actually cheaper than the deal our DCP daughter could get (she would have gotten a hotel discount and free ticket for herself, but the package was still less).

Even though we have learned (as have we all) about all the changes coming, with her graduating from college and the future ability/timing for all three of us to travel together looking limited, we are going for it.

We haven't booked any table service meals, but based on most of the reviews we've read/heard, most of them are not worth it. And, the one that might have been was not available. Still might try to walk up to Walt's and get a table, but also might not!

That is very exciting! I'm sure you three will have fun. As for using the Disney Visa, I think it charges a foreign transaction fee, at least it did last year so even though I wanted the Disney points I used cards that didn't charge the fee.

Make sure you get the champagne at the end of Main Street, it is actually pretty good champagne and it is fun to drink champagne in while looking at a Disney castle. One of my other favorite treats was the croque monsieur from a place on Main Street. I was listening to a podcast about DLP recently and they were very complimentary of the newer brassierie in Downtown Disney, but all I know is from listening to that. And Pym's buffet was one of our favorite meals, beat out Walt's and Bistrot Chez Remy.

nickys

Premium Member
The Skyline Lounge at the Marvel hotel is fun. Be aware it doesn’t open until 5pm (I think) but we found the small plates did us fine for “dinner” before heading back to the park for the evening.
The Redwood Longe at Sequoia is also a nice place in the evening after the parks, before bed. And it’s only 10 minutes walk back to Cheyenne.

Early entry at the Studios worked a dream for us. We ended up doing Webslingers as single rider as it was late opening.

Early entry at the Castle Parc was frustrating for us - but that was because I hadn’t thought to check what was open! Unlike MK where two Lands are fully open, here it’s certain rides scattered all over. Hint: Pirates isn’t, nor is Pinocchio or Snow White! I would have headed to Big Thunder and ridden twice - with hindsight. Or Peter Pan if you really want to ride it without a wait.

Don’t miss the Mickey & the Magician show. And I found it was well worth it to buy the guaranteed access for it - you can select which show you want.

Use Premier Access for individual rides if you want to. You can even buy it for the same ride 3 times in a day. I’m not sure what the overall limit is. They are pretty much immediate access (5-10 minutes).

Take time to explore the arcades -all the Main St shops have an entrance to the arcade. Also make time to explore Adventureland -so many pathways make it hugely more interesting than at MK. The caves are almost hidden around the Treehouse area. And the suspension bridge to Adventure Isle is amazing - although if anyone’s scared of heights perhaps not lol - we ran out of time to explore.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Brasserie is recommended. There again we’ve never had a bad TSR or buffet at DLP contrary to others.

Plan your early entry’s for magic hour. You can do Pan and BTM the same morning but do Pan first. Possibly Buzz too after BTM. Studios its Web Slingers and Tower, and maybe Rat. Unless you want to do Crush then that must be first of the day.

You’ll be glad to know premiere access isn’t as popular as LL is for the sheep in Orlando. Don’t sink to it unless you feel you have to on the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom